Games you regret buying. Why?

dermarx

A few:

1. Constructor HD - Didn't play the original, probably should have. Not my type of simulator. Got bored instantly even after a good hour and a half of playing it. 
  2. Drive Girls - See my metacritic review here
  3. 1000 Top Rated/My Name Is Mayo/Energy Cycle/Albedo - All for a platinum and all pretty much meh. Mayo was the best out of all of them
  4. Linger In Shadows - Should be free considering it's a glorified demo for the SIXAXIS that's now I believe almost 10 years old. Almost gave me motion sickness
  5. Hannah Montana The Movie - Nostalgia for the show blinded me. I can never listen or look at Miley Cyrus ever again 
  6. CSI Fatal Conspiracy - Boring and predictable point and click mystery. 
  7. Spy Hunter - Bad controls, stupid noises, annoying hit detection, and meh graphics. Never finished the platinum and don't plan on going back
  8. Magus - Practically ruined a night out at Cheeburger Cheeburger trying to grind out the plat overnight. Short, boring, and felt like a game from 2001
  9. Alone In The Dark - Bad voice acting, far too dark to know where the hell I was supposed to go, slow combat, and poor pacing. 
  10. Stranglehold - Definitely NOT the game I expected. Almost eight years waiting to pick it up and let down by average storytelling with average visuals and meh voice acting. 
  • Like 1

i avoid this with gamefly. but any game on PS3 that was "copying prohibited", but for this topic Star Wars Force Unleashed 2. while i do not mind "short" games as long as they feel complete this game felt incomplete. The challenges were terrible and while the game-play was an improvement over part 1 the rest of the game was lackluster at best.

EDIT: I just remembered i backed Mighty Number 9, that was a very bad choice. While the art style did not bother me the game itself was meh at the very best.

Edited by DarkHarmonixer

I actually don't have even a single PS4 that I regret. On PS3 I do, and on PS2 and PS1 as well. I suppose I learned something.

As for PS3, the games I did not finish were Armored Core 4/For Answer games since those have some newtype tier controls, also Gundam: Target in Sight for same reason. Thankfully those do not have trophies to prove my incompetence at the games. For games that are in my trophy list, I regret Devil May Cry HD collection and Blazblue. I'm really terrible at pure 2D fighters and only average at best at action games like DMC or God of War (the old ones).

• Like 1

Superman on Nintendo 64. Mi big brother coerced me to play that awful game. At first, he said it was superb that I can fly around the map. It was huge mistake to ever played that horrid game ever. Remember when big brother says "superb" reverse psychology it's horrible lmao :awesome:

• Like 3

Here are a some that come to my mind:

• No Man's Sky (PS4): Yeah, this one's a given. I did give it an honest shot, though. I will say that it definitely isn't the worst game I've ever played, but it is one of the more underwhelming games.
  • Splatoon 2 (Switch): I played the first Splatoon game on the WiiU and enjoyed it well enough. The second one, though, I had a much more difficult time getting into. Doesn't help that the single-player "campaign" is fairly boring (although the first one wasn't much different). I guess that's what happens when a game is primarily made with multiplayer as the forefront.
  • Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4): One of my friends talked me into getting this game. I started to play it and I just couldn't get any enjoyment out of it.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU): This game, while not bad in my opinion, felt like a step down in comparison to its prequel on the Wii/3DS. I played around 25 hours of it and then I was done.
  • Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate (3DS): Decided to give this a shot as my first Monster Hunter game and I wasn't really liking the overall gameplay and the combat.
  • LittleBigPlanet (PS3): I love platformers as much as the next guy, but I just couldn't get the hang of this one. I felt that the controls were clunky and I felt that I was missing jumps or simply overshooting them... Maybe I was just awful at it. Highly possible.
  • Destiny (PS4): Friends talked me into getting this one. I played it for around two weeks and then became severely bored of it after hitting max level at the time.
32 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

3. Burnout paradise remastered: Nevee got a chance to play the original on ps3 and so I thought about picking it up. Game was sooooo boring and antifun. Want to get somewhere? Good drive for 10 hrs to your next destination. Ugh fine, I'll suck it up. What's that I can't put a waypoint and there's no gps??? Damnnnn!! Ok I'll I'll just watch the map. *Proceeds to crash every second for averting gaze for 1 sec*. 

You also get some op cars in the beginning which removes the feeling of being rewarded!! Returned it ASAP.

I didn't play Burnout Paradise that much when it originally released on PS3/X-Box 360. After playing the remastered, I can see why you disliked it. I enjoyed it pretty well, but I do agree on the lack of GPS and the headache of constantly needing to drive back to the beginning of an event that you may have failed.

1 hour ago, Asvinia said:

The regret was purely because it had a huge price drop almost right after I bought it. The game itself is good and is pretty much what I expected.

Ah right I get ya. Bethesda published games alway seem to drop pretty fast.

Since it's in the PS4 section I'll keep it to this system only.

Technically there's only one game I've regretted...but I didn't buy it. My brother did because he liked it on the PS2. GTA San Andreas. Can't stand these games at all.

EDIT:

Was wrong lol. Royal Defense and Royal Defense Invisible Threat. I thought these games were just plain boring as Tower Defense games. 

Edited by Avatar_Of_Battle

Halo 5: Guardians. I've been into Halo since Halo 2. 5 was the first Halo game to come out after I'd gotten into employment, so I had enough money to splash out for the legendary edition. 

Yeah, never again. That game was such a letdown, it's unreal. Started playing at midnight (digital download only for a legendary edition, btw - WTF), had finished it by 4:30am. Pretty much killed Xbox for me as a whole.

I regret buying the ghost recon wildlands reaper statue edition when i did. I payed $200 for it, only for it go on sale at 60% off 2 weeks later. 

Also a friend of mine convinced me to get the PS4 version of CoD Ghosts. I already had the platinum and some dlc trophies for the PS3 version but he insisted  he and his brother would help me to get all the extiniction related trophies. That turned out to be true only to a point in that when he decided he was bored with Ghosts and stopped playing ps4 altogether. So now I was stuck with the ps4 version of ghosts with some dlc trophies here and there and out $40. In the end I got all the trophies through a boosting session on this site and even got the platinum again. However if he comes back asking for help, i'll tell him to fuck off. 

The thing is that this wasn't the first time he had done this. Him and his cousin had pulled similar tactics to get me to buy Rainbow 6 Siege and 7 days to die both of which they got bored with when I tried to just play the games with them, not even trophy hunting. Between those two I regret buying 7 days to die more since goddamn that game sucks. 

As a racing fanatic I regret buying F1 2017 for full price (70€). Not because it's a bad game, but because it wasn't what I was expecting. It's a great game with great sound and graphics and overall quality, but simply not my kind of game I guess. Played it for 5h or so and never touched it again. 

To this day, i've seen the end credits roll on every single PS4 games i've played, except those two..

Homefront: Revolution . Man that game was boring and blend. I thought : Hey! I cannot be THAT bad right ? 

Well. It can.

Knack . Without being overly bad, I thought it was too much of the same, levels after levels... Too bad because I love platformers and I thought this one could be something great.. 

Nioh: was introduced as souls-like, but it's just Ninja Gaiden with a totally unnecessary 
difficulty (there is also no sense of progress)

NieR:Automata - this is not necessarily a bad game, it just was not enough, it has a good story, great ambiance ... but it is very limited, gameplay too short and a customization almost non-existent

Edited by ruskzinho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Asvinia said:

The reason I bought it was because it was made out to be like the other Digimon games, and it delivered absolutely. As far as I was aware it was always compared to other Digimon World games and that was accurate. It was never compared to Digimon Story games like Cyber Sleuth.

My most recent regrets are probably Steep and Prey.

- Steep because it's always online and exploring is kind of boring.

- Prey because it had a massive price drop within maybe a week.

It was nothing like Digimon World 3 or Digimon World Dusk, which were the two world games I've played. Both of them are more like Cyber Sleuth. From what I understand, the only other Digimon game like Next Order is like, is the very first Digimon World game. No matter what, you're not going to change my opinion that it's a terrible game, and that I regret ever buying it.

No Man's Sky. The whole game was a real slog to get through, made worse because of that trophy where you had to photograph all the animals on different planets. I liked the space travel elements but at least before all the updates the game was basically hours of doing the same thing over and over.  

• Like 2

Carmageddon: Max Damage. I hate, hate, hate the handling of all cars in this game. It's a shame, because the rules and structure are cleverly thought out, but the actual driving is so awful I couldn't enjoy the things they did well. Also, the AI has a habit of T-boning you, running you into the wall, and holding you there. Fortunately I bought this on disc, and Gamestop paid me actual money for it, which I did not deserve.

Cryptark. I still really admire the more strategic parts of Cryptark. You can get rewards for doing a mission with a reduced weapon loadout. You get different payoffs based on what enemy ship components you destroy or capture. It has the bones of a terrific board game. But as an action video game, it fails to tick key boxes, and it's brutally hard. There's not nearly enough visual explanation of what is dangerous to you. Moment-by-moment play involves a lot of exchanging fire with offscreen enemies. You have to pay for ammo, so the missions I was told I "won," I actually lost because I spent more than I earned.

Probably an unpopular opinion but 'Batman: Arkham Asylum'. It's a mediocre game at best with its dull story, dull combat system (defeating the same amount of enemies over and over who takes forever to knock out isn't fun). The graphics are really well done as it's quite an old game

• Like 2