Games you regret buying. Why?

dermarx

On 08/09/2018 at 7:19 AM, Vermilion_Joker said:

The God Eater games, truthfully. I don't mind the MH-style gameplay, but the difficulty spike four chapters in is so random and undefined that you can be cruising casually through the first part of the game, and then you're hit with these bosses that can slap you around without issue. I grinded a bit even before I reached to said spike, but I can't exactly farm the materials I need to kill these tougher enemies because I have to kill said enemies to get the materials. I love the story and the world, but this game is definitely not for me, despite my love for difficult games.

I'm only playing them now because I want the platinums, but man, I regret getting these games solely because I have to bust my ass to even scrape by with little reward, need I add.

GER is made trivial if you look up how to make HDH sniper bullets and then stack up on skills that improve your oracle consumption like Frugal and Trigger Happy.

Same for GE2RB really, but with the blast gun(? the one that lets you stack oracle) and some other bullets.

I also regret God Eater. By FAR the worst hunting games I've played in terms of combat, controls, UI, characters and above all, ENEMY DIVERSITY. Seriously. 1/2 of the missions include some variation of the Kongou enemy. 1/3 are Chi-You missions and the rest is split between the other bosses. I don't understand why the story gets so much praise either, it's just as plain as in the other hunting games. Overrated trash.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xillia said:

GER is made trivial if you look up how to make HDH sniper bullets and then stack up on skills that improve your oracle consumption like Frugal and Trigger Happy.

Same for GE2RB really, but with the blast gun(? the one that lets you stack oracle) and some other bullets.

I also regret God Eater. By FAR the worst hunting games I've played in terms of combat, controls, UI, characters and above all, ENEMY DIVERSITY. Seriously. 1/2 of the missions include some variation of the Kongou enemy. 1/3 are Chi-You missions and the rest is split between the other bosses. I don't understand why the story gets so much praise either, it's just as plain as in the other hunting games. Overrated trash.

I'll have to look that up now that you made mention of it. Truthfully I want to cheese this game as fast as I can, and I don't have any friends who are beefy enough to just carry me like they would in my dreams lol. I played the original on PSP years ago and loved it, but I didn't play too far like I did on the Vita. Now I'm just sitting here crying to myself because fuck me, why is this difficulty spike a thing? Freedom Wars did it better for sure, and I actually played that game enough to just enjoy it casually.

The story is pretty generic, but I love the characters nonetheless. Feels like you can't do much aside from the usual "mysterious Monster hunter joins the team" idea, but Freedom Wars did it better as a whole. 

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City- requires luck and online grind

Need for speed pursuit- too used to how need for speed gotten easier than how it was that requires time and perfection

Uncharted 2 and 3 (ps3)- Too many online grind and player dependent

Naughty bear- Dlc not available in australia

Far cry 2- servers are screwy and can online grind

Batman arkham assylum- Combos are a real pain

Batman Akrham city- Combos are a real pain

Call of Duty Ghost- Too much player dependency

Call of Duty Advance Warefare- grindy online dlc

Destiny (PS4) - Too much player dependent and grindy

Destiny 2- too much player dependent, luck required, pressure, grind, consume most space  

Littlebig planet 2- player dependent

Wolfenstein 2- (got refunded) contains a permadeath that put me off to bother to put it in my main

Max Payne 3- Permadeath is more of a put off than the main online along with grindy online dlc

Edited by maurjen

fallout 4. bought it for 30€ few months back, and recently it was like 13€.

no mans sky. got it after NEXT update, still had annoying bugs( NOTE:haven´t played in 2 weeks so it might have improved)

On 8.9.2018 at 8:43 AM, Knightmare_1985 said:

Agony

this game has been nothing but...well...agony

unobtainable plat, collectibles not collecting correctly, straight up bs *ahem* agony.

unobtainable plat? oh god really, That fucking sucks

GTA V PS4 - Adding stupid Heist trophies that require you to buy property to start the Heists, so if you are like me and don't play the online mode you don't have much money to begin with so you have to either grind missions or buy sharkcards. Not only that, the heists could take a lot of hours to complete and you have to complete them with 2 players then 3 players and then 4 players.

One game I particularly regret buying was Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations. I will always regret buying it not because it was an awfully boring game (even though it's definitely one of those 'meh' games) or because I heavily relied on a trophy guide to pop the platinum, but because I spent over 50 bucks on a game like this! This is why you should always buy certain games when they become heavily discounted. I hope to not make this mistake ever again.

Another game I regret buying is the Vita version of the Lego Movie Videogame. I have many reasons as to why this should never be considered a 'traditional' Lego game to anybody. One of the major highlights to this is the fact that once you die, you have to start the level you were on all over again. Quite a lot of people will know that this is not the case for any of the proper lego games. So here's the catch: don't buy any Lego Games for the PlayStation Vita (or any other handheld consoles) unless you are absolutely sure they are the same as the home console versions!

I know i will get hate but Witcher 3. not because of the setting, story, characters, etc. It was just the combat not feeling at all good, I can understand cdred tried to get it as close to the books as possible but the outcome does not translate well to game form. Which is sad because everthing else in that game is amazing and have tried many times with the same result being geralt is one of the worst feeling characters to control.

5 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

GTA V PS4 - Adding stupid Heist trophies that require you to buy property to start the Heists, so if you are like me and don't play the online mode you don't have much money to begin with so you have to either grind missions or buy sharkcards. Not only that, the heists could take a lot of hours to complete and you have to complete them with 2 players then 3 players and then 4 players.

You had to do the same with the original heists too. You don't technically have to buy one anyways, you can just have someone else host that already does. They're not really that difficult either

Call of Duty Ghosts; Extinction mode sucks

• Like 1

God of War (PS4)

Dont get me wrong, it is a FANTASTIC game and one of the best this generation. But I bought it at launch at full price and after beating it, it’s been sitting in my drawer for months collecting dust. I held on to it for awhile just in case there was any DLC trophies. A few weeks ago, God of War was on sale for nearly half the price (roughly $35 if I’m not mistaken). After seeing how fast it went on sale and seeing how I could’ve saved some money if I were patient, I decided not to purchase another title at launch again. I’m hoping this will be the case for Spider-Man so I can scoop it up at a discount!

oh boy I read the first two pages of this topic ans almost cried.

How can it be so many ppl are not able to see great games for what they WANTED to be but hate them for what they  wrongley expected them to be for whatever reasons...

I have almost no games I regret buying, everything I  bought ans playerd  gave me something.

I even laughed over My Name is Mayo and I love playing Mahjong games, seriously.

But I regret buying SLYDE bc it was no fun at all, and not even worth the "easy" plat.

I also regret buying NieR.

I wanted to play NieR Automata when I saw a stream by accident, but knew nothing about it. oc I wanted to play the first game first, so I bought both games, and since everyone claimed to love the nieR game I thought as a JRPG fan, Final Fantasy fan I would like this masterpiece too. And I was so wrong, I hate almost everything about it. I wasn't able to make it throught the second ending and I won't play Automata until I finished the first, and don't know if I will at all...

Fun Fact, allthough I am one of the day one FF789 fans I love the FF13 series especially lightning returns, and while I see why lots of ppl are disappointed bc it was so hyped, I still see a decent game in the series, ff15 even more btw.

I dont hate games when they are the 15th in a serie for the series changing, everything has to change to stay vital.

I regret Little Big Planet 3. bc the game is just no fun for me. I tortured myself through the levels and couldn't manage to get through the game until today and I think I won't ever. Luckily it was PS+ and I didn't pay for it but as a completionist I have this dead game in my list and am upset about it.

And finally there is this most dire thing in my list: Kick-ass 2.

Sometimes I like me a nice license based game if the controls and story are not too crackbrained. I even liked a similar game X-men Destiny, it was fun for a short time. But Kick-Ass2 was the most awful thing I ever played. the enemies, the controlling was just shit, it wasn't playing it was killing my fingers by pressing buttons so hard they would break, the camera was somewhere... over the rainbow maybe, and the levels were bullshit too. the graphics were the same as X-men destiny or the iron man 2 game, but while these games still made something out of it kick-ass 2 just sucked at every end you can think off. oh an a few bugs made me repeat a level too and I almost cried T_T

I thought after the first trophy, okay now you have to do it, but 10h easy plat can't be too awful. Oh I was so wrong... and needed therapy after the plat popped.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (VITA) - This game on the Vita is an absolute chore to platinum, constant frame drops, crappy controls, delayed button response and an evil camera, by far the worst port of this.

Sonic Forces: See now i don't hate this game but.... It is super short most levels can be finished in under a minute, the challenges are tedious and the end game grind for Red/Number/Moon rings is a ball ache, some levels are very buggy and lead to stupid death (I'm looking at you Jungle Slide level) and there's no real challenge the bosses are all easy, no lives just a respawn. Plus if you play the game for a few days in a row, your almost guaranteed an S rank on the missions due to the multiplier.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, SnowxSakura said:

Star Ocean 3 and 4

YES.  I enjoyed the first two Star Ocean titles, but I stopped enjoying the story by the third sequel, and I hated the clunkiness of combat in the fourth one.  I never finished SO4 because the battle trophies seemed impossible.

I also had a love/hate relationship with the Atelier series.  I liked the old school games on PS2, but the alchemy and ending systems in Rorona and Totori really grated on me.  Yeah, Totori's system was a lot more forgiving, like some walkthrough writers kept saying, but I didn't feel that way until I had to give up and restart a few times over.  It took forever to plat Totori.  I just kept playing other games while it collected dust on the shelf.

Edited by DoctorGameGeek
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, DoctorGameGeek said:

YES.  I enjoyed the first two Star Ocean titles, but I stopped enjoying the story by the third sequel, and I hated the clunkiness of combat in the fourth one.  I never finished SO4 because the battle trophies seemed impossible.

I also had a love/hate relationship with the Atelier series.  I liked the old school games on PS2, but the alchemy and ending systems in Rorona and Totori really grated on me.  Yeah, Totori's system was a lot more forgiving, like some walkthrough writers kept saying, but I didn't feel that way until I had to give up and restart a few times over.  It took forever to plat Totori.  I just kept playing other games while it collected dust on the shelf.

I feel the same way, I couldn't put down atelier iris when it first came out, and ended up dumping rorona after about an hour. I'd rather see another mana khemia game 

• Like 1

Mind Zero - After I've finished Demon Gaze I was ready for more Dungeon Crawling action, so I picked up Mind 0 for 15 bucks on a sale a few years ago. Haven't played any Dungeon Crawler ever since... 

God Eater 1&2 - Just not my kind of game I guess.

The Technomancer - It's like Bound by Flame but at least 10 times worse. Poor performance on PS4, forgettable story, pointless dialogue, cheap difficulty, unfair hitboxes, low level cap, timed quest, etc.

Outlast - Don't get me wrong, Outlast is brilliant, but sadly I shit my pants everytime I enter the Assylum. And that's like 2 minutes into the game

Edited by Sardavanua

On 9-9-2018 at 8:42 AM, maurjen said:

Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City- requires luck and online grind

Need for speed pursuit- too used to how need for speed gotten easier than how it was that requires time and perfection

Uncharted 2 and 3 (ps3)- Too many online grind and player dependent

Naughty bear- Dlc not available in australia

Far cry 2- servers are screwy and can online grind

Batman arkham assylum- Combos are a real pain

Batman Akrham city- Combos are a real pain

Call of Duty Ghost- Too much player dependency

Call of Duty Advance Warefare- grindy online dlc

Destiny (PS4) - Too much player dependent and grindy

Destiny 2- too much player dependent, luck required, pressure, grind, consume most space  

Littlebig planet 2- player dependent

Wolfenstein 2- (got refunded) contains a permadeath that put me off to bother to put it in my main

Max Payne 3- Permadeath is more of a put off than the main online along with grindy online dlc

Sad to see that some people care more too much about trophies then the actual game itself. Most of the reasons you sum up has either to do with the trophies that are either "hard" or just "grindy".

But regretting buying/playing games because of trophies is just wrong, you should buy a game you enjoy and not play it because of some trophies you don't like to do. Honestly you sum up some good games like Batman, MP3, Wolfenstein 2, Destiny 1, Uncharted are really decent games. But hey if you care too much about some trophies, well that's your loss/problem then.

Mine:

The Surge bought it but I didn't really find it that great and it felt sometimes buggy. Plus the controls were imo not great and add some annoying enemies that two shot you is even more fun(ironic btw). Still prefer Dark souls over this lame copycat.

Black Ops 3: What an awful awful awful game that was. Campaign was mediocre and it's just a boring dull story that made less sense then fishing in a dried up lake. Then the online was just bad horrendously boring small maps, spawns everywhere, you die really quickly well it's just crap. Also the copy of wallrunning from Titanfall was pretty bad. Speaking about Titanfall 2 that's game is better game then this POS.

Assassin's Creed Origins, I don't really felt that game was great by any standard. Map felt overly huge, combat was improved but the story wasn't that great imo just another revenge story by Ubisoft which we haven't seen in another dozen ubisoft games that gets boring after playing so many of them. For me no more AC games I'm just bored of it.

Shadow of the Beast, just didn't liked it at all.

Far Cry Primal: Boring Far Cry game with a copy/paste map that wasn't great. Well that was the last FC I will ever touch after playing the last great FC which was FC3.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate: I didn't really find it a great game was more of the same, well yeah what to expect from a AC game anyway?

Hitman: Absolution: Was a PS+ freebie but still felt ripped off lol. Just not a good Hitman game at all worst one in the series jezus..

Resistance Burning Skies on the PS Vita they really messed this one up. Boring story, forgettable characters, the game looked so ugly on the Vita like the only colours you see in game are red,yellow,black,brown,blue grey just basically really dull boring colours nothing stood out. And the AI was terrible half the time the allied AI didn't do anything but just stand there or stay in cover without helping you and the enemy AI was just as bad! They stood out in the open like fish in a barrel or just stay behind cover they rarely try to flank the player or throw a grande to get you out of your cover. And the boss fights...they were all the same shoot the weak spot there done move on, they even messed up the credits they show characters that weren't even in the game! All I can say is if you are looking into getting this game...don't it's not worth your time and money go play Resistance Retribution it's available on the Vita store a much much better game then Burning Skies.

It's more fun,challenging, good replay value and more love and care put into it. Retribution was also made by Bend Studios who made Uncharted Golden Abyss and the upcoming Days Gone.   

Rocket League - I was confident I wouldn't like this game before I even brought it and the only reason I did was 3 of my friends had it and it's great chatting to them and having a laugh when you don't get to see them that often. The idea was to team up as 4 players and play online. They kept telling me how much "fun" it was and I relented.

I couldn't stand the game after the first match, I had no "fun" and by the time I had 100% of the trophies I loathed it, especially that BS with Certified items and loot crates. My friends, however, had great "fun" mostly hearing just how much I wasn't.

Now, like some kind of penance for saying how much I hate it they released new DLC, having to re-install it again, my friends were overjoyed, there's also more talk of DLC in the future, seriously I wish this game would just die.

Driveclub and Driveclub bikes.

Got to be the most boring racing games I've ever played.  And the dlc is even more boring, basically a million different dlc packs and once you've played one track pretty much all the rest are the same.  Obviously a different layout but the same shite every time.  Starts raining at some point ans controls become even more shit REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT..... I'll never find the motivation to go back to it or get the plat on the bikes as trying to control the shit bikes is none existent.