PS3 vs. PS4

Sir-Syzygy

PS3 or PS4?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. PS3 or PS4

• PS3
    • PS4

1 minute ago, rdhight said:

The other thing that makes me prefer the PS4, besides the better controllers, is simultaneous logins. In couch co-op, having everyone be able to use their own ID and progress/settings instead of the PS3 "everyone is a clone of the host" system is much better.

Sweet Jesus, really? It's by far one of the things I hate the most about the PS4!

2 hours ago, TheEyeOfSa said:

Uh...I'm just saying they look better than other games we've had in the past...I'd call you dense but it would probably be deleted

Lmao me dense? Surely you don't know what sarcasm is then. By the way don't let the door hit you on the way out.

15 hours ago, Tepp-a said:

see my paragraph before that, about netflix/amazon/spotify...

With up-to-dateness I meant that it gets the games.

so: but also because it serves as a good entertainment system for other things than gaming, as well as community-building.

sorry if that didn't come across correctly. I'm not a native speaker and people make mistakes. I think I made my point understandable enough despite grammar errors.

Yea i suppose

the grammar police will give you a warning on this one, lol

sometimes i forget alot of psnp users are from eu and other countries

i wasnt trying to make you feel bad for your mistake, just trying to help you build better sentences ;) no offense

gotta say i like them both...

i prefer the xmb on ps3 and how the trophies lists are displayed but i do appreciate the fast loading time of the ps4 over the ps3...i had a friend in the 80s psn level and hit "compare trophies" by accident instead of "create message" during a ps3 co-op session and well, you can guess how i spent the next hour...i find it much easier to compare with friends when looking for common games to co-op on the last-gen console...

i do not like the old ps store at all though especially the view download list and the fact that the list gets bumped back to the top when you download something...makes downlading stuff from a season pass take forever...

i like the chat and share screenshot/footage/stream options on ps4 quite a bit...i also like that, as of now, it is not possible for people to hack online content on ps4...i love (free) multiplayer/co-op and knowing that everyone is on the same playing field is brilliant...

i really don't like the gravitation towards every game having microtransactions, often for what used to be "standard" content...

i don't know if it's just me or actually the case, but it feels like there are less stats/leaderboards for multiplayer content on the ps4...i like having stats for stuff like co-op scores/speedruns...this could be more dev-specific as opposed to console-specific so a pretty moot point and possibly just a personal myth rather than fact...

i find the next-gen hard drive pretty small at 1tb considering the size of just about any file/application on the ps4...seems like i could have way more content on a ps3 at 500 mb storage...

controllers and games i'm 50/50 on...some great content on both consoles...the one advantage the dualshock 4 (ds4) has is the headphone jack as it saves me from running a 10 meter cable across the room where one wire leads to my stereo receiver and the other to the console usb port which was the case on ps3...needed to get headsets that had both usb and headset jacks and had seperate controls for chat and game volumes to get the same experience as the standard ds4...

these are all pretty small gripes as i don't really find the experience of playing on ps3 or ps4 all that much different or more enjoyable on one platform over the other...

• Like 2

On 2018-05-04 at 2:32 AM, NaseemJohn said:

Ps4 is superior in every single way. Especially when it comes down to the high quality exclusives we’ve been getting. 

I picked PS4, but Puppeteer alone makes it hard. Need a port, Sony. :(

I think for me circumstances have affected my opinion. When I got a PS3 I was still at secondary school and had plenty of time for gaming (I dread to think about how many hours I put into that machine and how many games I owned for it over the years, and therefore remember it with great fondness. Now that I am older, and am juggling doing a degree and working I have much less time for gaming, and despite the fact that I bought a PS4 the year it launched I haven't been able to give it the same amount of love and attention as I did to its fore bearer. 

Therefore, currently my vote goes to PS3 but who knows maybe once I have this degree out of the way and I have substantially more time my opinion might change.

It surprises me that the PS4 is winning.

I prefer the PS3. The quality of the games alone makes it a better console. PS3 games were awesome, diverse, fun and original; so many of them were truly mind-blowing; the sweet multiplayer was free...!

Don’t get me wrong; I like the PS4 too: it crashes less and the menu and browser are better, but most games have been rather meh and disappointing.

I like all my consoles, but, for me, gaming reached new heights with the PS3. The PS3 gave me my greatest gaming moments and I can’t forget that.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 0:13 PM, NaseemJohn said:

10 exclusives? No problem I’ll give you 20.

1- Persona 5 (available on PS3)

2- Nier Automata (available on Steam)

3- Bloodborne

4- Until dawn

5- Uncharted 4

6- God of war 

7- Yakuza 6

8- Yakuza 0 (available on PS3)

9- Horizon zero dawn 

10- Hellblade (available on Steam and One)

11- Gravity rush 2 

12- Uncharted lost legacy

13- Last guardian 

14- Infamous second son 

15- Nioh (available on Steam)

16- MLB 18

17- Knack 2 

18- Ni No Kuni 2 (available on Steam)

19- Nex machina (available on Steam)

20- Gran Turismo sport

Lets not mention the others coming out this year. 

:P

Anyway, i like both system, and love many games on both system. It's the same for me :D

Just my opinion on this, I'm fine with all viewpoints and there's no chance I'm getting involved in a pointless argument with anyone. I only got my PS4 last September and I already consider it better in every way. For me it has the best controller of all time, every game runs quietly and smoothly (compared to the hot mess that is the PS3) and I quite like the interface. I also have a near infinite backlog of games, so I'm fine on that front, but I can understand if some others are wanting for more.

I actually think the 360 was a better console than the PS3 too. PS3 had more games I liked, but the 360 just ran most things better and was more user friendly. I suppose that makes it a gray area and the games alone meant I probably liked PS3 more overall, but something to note. Anyways PS4 for me blows them all out of the water, Xbone too. I still play my PS3 on the side, but it's generally more of a hassle. Worse controller, longer loading times, more game crashes and often annoying console noises. Once I've exhausted my PS3 backlog I doubt I'll buy too many more games for it, I just enjoy using my PS4 more in general. Very glad I didn't wait until exhausting my PS3 backlog to get one, I like PS3 better as a 2nd console.

Edited by kaluna1

On 5/4/2018 at 5:30 AM, jrdemr said:

~snip~

Coming from someone who has made a debate on these forums over graphics being "higher priority" on the Playstation 4, and someone who highly prefers physical as opposed to digital, I would think you would favor the Playstation 3 more. I know the Playstation 2 is your favorite generation of games.

That being said I think people need to open up their eyes, especially given all the indie titles we have gotten over the past five years or so. You're missing out on a lot if you decide to skip trying out a lot of those since you said you hate digital, but that is the only way to get most of them. Indies are a great way to experience a lot of single player games, whereas a lot of AAA games favor some multiplayer, which you have to pay a subscription for (Playstation Plus) if you ever decide to jump on that.

Just got a PS4 and I’m really liking it. First time on PSN, so the amount of indie games is really cool. The DualShock 4 is also the only PlayStation controller that has ever been comfortable for me, even though the battery life is sadly so short. Looking forward to trying a few exclusives, but not too much interests me beyond Last Guardian and maybe Everybody’s Golf.

Even though I didn’t get the full PS3 experience, and with finding the DualShock 3 annoyingly uncomfortable, I still give it a slight edge for one reason: I can pop in the discs for Klonoa, or Tomba, or Mega Man Legends, or Chrono Cross, or Spyro ... and they play ?

I can't decide between both. I've had an amazing time during PS3 era and now I'm having the same great time with PS4. PS3 generation was soo long so it had a whole lot of games that I enjoyed. This generation is being as good or maybe even better but I've to wait to the end of it to do a proper balance. So many great games still to come.

PS3

No, lootboxes and all the dirty practices that came with the 8th generation.

The PS4 controller size and that you can just plug in a head set in the controller is great. But having a microphone, speaker and touchpad is redundant not to mention the battery life is way shorter then the DS3.

The XMB is cluttered with social crap that I really don't care for a lot of apps can't be removed. Yes, PS3 has the forced Singstar app which can't be removed but that was really the only thing.

Also correct me if I am wrong but, you still can't play CD's on the PS4.

Games actually need to install all the data instead of some of it. I installed Monster Hunter World which was 12 GB or so. My friend had it digitally and it was 11.5 GB for him.

Offtopic:

Kinda makes me afraid whats in store for us next generation. What scummy practices and such will be waiting for us. ?

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Coming from someone who has made a debate on these forums over graphics being "higher priority" on the Playstation 4, and someone who highly prefers physical as opposed to digital, I would think you would favor the Playstation 3 more. I know the Playstation 2 is your favorite generation of games.

That being said I think people need to open up their eyes, especially given all the indie titles we have gotten over the past five years or so. You're missing out on a lot if you decide to skip trying out a lot of those since you said you hate digital, but that is the only way to get most of them. Indies are a great way to experience a lot of single player games, whereas a lot of AAA games favor some multiplayer, which you have to pay a subscription for (Playstation Plus) if you ever decide to jump on that.

I mean... I hate a lot of things the modern gaming industry brought to the table, that's for sure, and the Playstation 2 era is still my favorite to this day, but that's not to say things are all bad. Sony, Nintendo and... basically Japanese developers have been doing loads of great stuff recently. My backlog's been increasing like crazy, lately. I really liked the PS3 and everything it had to offer, but we're seeing so many great games come out recently it's absolutely nuts.

It's mostly in the West that things are falling apart. While Japan has just continued on doing its own thing as usual (despite some developers still leaning a bit to hard on DLC), the West has mostly just been trying to play it safe, riding the current trends to exhaustion and just trying to get the most bang for of their buck with no regards for ethics or construction of good will. I know there are obviously exceptions, but most of the big publishers have been going on a downwards spiral I can't really say I'm happy with.

That said, as long as Japan keeps on being Japan, I'll be more than fine. Even some Western publishers have been doing better recently, namely Ubisoft, which dropped the annual Assassin's Creed game in favor of a bi-annual, more quality-focused experience. Granted, they're still playing it a bit too safe by putting out mostly just big open-worlds and they still include microtransactions in 60$ games, but at least they're showing that they still give a damn about what they put out and don't want to just oversaturate the market and crunch their developers to death. Bethesda is also a great example of a Western developer that still cares. They're still focusing on single-player games, specifically their expertise, RPGs, and don't rush out to complete anything (they could still very much use a lot more quality control, that's for damn sure, especially with games that have been released six times over, but still...). We have other examples, like CD Projekt Red, but you get my point. It's not all doom and gloom. Despite my despise for underhanded money-making techniques in the industry, especially in the big Western AAA games, we pretty much have all the games we could possibly want right now. I think the ethical developers are also learning from their mistakes and those of others and are doing better. I actually feel like the PS4 brought us back to the same spirit of experimentation and originality we saw back in the PS2 era. Granted, it's been mostly Sony and the Japanese developers that have done so, but... I guess the same could be said back then.

Besides, if we're just comparing the PS3 and the PS4, there's really no competition for me. All the bad business practices began back in the 7th generation, so they both have that in common, but while the PS3 had a lot of great games, the PS4 has just been putting them out at frantic speeds. Furthermore, they're easier to code for in the current generation, so they run a lot more smoothly. The only thing I definitely liked more back in the PS3 era was the free online multiplayer. Granted, I hate playing online, but I still think it's very wrong to gate one of the game's features behind a paywall (also, I kinda need to access online multiplayer if I want to get the Platinum trophy for some games).

In summary, I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses, blindly saying that "back in my day" everything was better. I just think that, for someone who's only interested in single-player and local multiplayer, the introduction of the Internet to console gaming did a lot more harm than good. But that's thankfully not to say we don't have a lot of great experiences to be had to this day.

Regarding indies... yeah, I'm not saying there aren't great indie games out there, but I still have so many games in my backlog, new and old, that I think I'll be fine with just physical games for the time being. And I haven't had any problems finding single-player games to keep me busy with.

Ms3umqv.jpg

Edited by jrdemr
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jrdemr said:

~snip~

I was never much into eastern AAA games. Yakuza is a series I want to try out at some point, but much of what I like happens to come from being old and established franchises from the east. 

Mario and Sonic I both consider to be technically eastern despite virtually everyone my generation growing up with them. Legend of Zelda and so forth were created by Shigeru Miyamoto, the Nintendo genius revered for his legendary success. SEGA and Nintendo are both Japanese companies as is Sony. But I just don’t care for the newer gaming franchises that have come out of Japan.

I still refuse to pay for PlayStation Now because I feel it is a waste of money. It’s a glorified rental service. You can argue that yes, digital games are glorified rentals and should the service go down you do not have access to them. We have both seen what happens when games get delisted, further pointing out that you do not own them as opposed to hard physical copies.

These days I’ve been leaning a lot more towards indie titles. They are the best when it comes to delivering pure gameplay and some feel like a reskinned 1980s/1990s game, which is always nice. AAA games don’t do that because their business is to deliver the latest and greatest in graphical performance and good storytelling/multiplayer. 

I recommend to anyone who is sick and tired of AAA games to play some indies. Not all indies are retro themed and not all are difficult. Some happen to be delightful experiences that anyone can pick up and play. But there are bad games like Little Adventure on the Prairie that are purely just for the trophies. The good indies outweigh the bad ones. 

Your perception of the internet being in console gaming is simply having to deal with other players. This isn’t anything new, this started back on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. I remember dealing with kids playing Halo 2 when it first came out. Trash talking has been around since online multiplayer was first introduced. 

Just playing AAA games to me just isn’t enough. Yes there are good ones and I have enjoyed plenty of them in my 30 years of existence. But that formula is more stale than it is fresh. 

I think Bethesda is mediocre when it comes to RPGs. Their games are suited towards first person adventures with stats and quests to go on, not fully fleshed out RPGs. Plus the games have a long history of bugs and crashes. I refuse to buy Fallout 3 and New Vegas because of this. Unless they remaster both of them for the PS4, but I don’t see that happening. 

34 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Your perception of the internet being in console gaming is simply having to deal with other players. This isn’t anything new, this started back on the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. I remember dealing with kids playing Halo 2 when it first came out. Trash talking has been around since online multiplayer was first introduced. 

Has nothing to do with online multiplayer. If it weren't for the trophies, if a game had an online mode, I'd just ignore it altogether. The problems Internet brought to console gaming were:

• Abusive DLC practices (mostly content cut from the main game)
  • Abusive patching practices ("ship it out first, patch it later")
  • Microtransactions in 60$ games
  • Loot Boxes

On another note, it's a shame you're not into Japanese games. You're really missing out on so much stuff. It's where I mostly go to get my non-indie fix these days. But if you just don't like them, then yeah, not much else to go to get your fix than indies.

10 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

Has nothing to do with online multiplayer. If it weren't for the trophies, if a game had an online mode, I'd just ignore it altogether. The problems Internet brought to console gaming were:

• Abusive DLC practices (mostly content cut from the main game)
  • Abusive patching practices ("ship it out first, patch it later")
  • Microtransactions in 60$ games
  • Loot Boxes

On another note, it's a shame you're not into Japanese games. You're really missing out on so much stuff. It's where I mostly go to get my non-indie fix these days. But if you just don't like them, then yeah, not much else to go to get your fix than indies.

That’s all AAA western practices. I will admit I don’t like them either. The Witcher 3 is a good example of what DLC should be. 

I suggest to you to just ignore anything EA and Activision put out because they are the two worst offenders out there. 

Likewise I will say to you you’re missing out on some great indie games. But I personally am not into eastern Japanese games, especially all those visual novels. 

I’m more interested in stuff like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus than the new Japanese games. 

I guess you can say the Dark Souls games and Bloodborne are technically in a way eastern. But I wouldn’t consider them Japanese games.

Edited by Spaz

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

That’s all AAA western practices. I will admit I don’t like them either. The Witcher 3 is a good example of what DLC should be.

As I said before, there are exceptions.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I suggest to you to just ignore anything EA and Activision put out because they are the two worst offenders out there.

I intend to get nowhere near what they put out. Last thing I got from either of them was Mass Effect 1 (2007).

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

Likewise I will say to you you’re missing out on some great indie games. But I personally am not into eastern Japanese games, especially all those visual novels.

I’m more interested in stuff like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus than the new Japanese games. 

I'm not really into visual novels either. But, like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, there's TONS more coming from Japan. For example, right now, I'm playing Bayonetta 2 on my Switch. It's basically Devil May Cry on steroids. Just great gameplay and no bullshit (unless you count how ridiculously hard Rodin is XD).

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I guess you can say the Dark Souls games and Bloodborne are technically in a way eastern. But I wouldn’t consider them Japanese games.

Extra Credits doesn't think so either:

54 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

As I said before, there are exceptions.

There are what, maybe three big Japanese companies implying bullshit practices?

Capcom is one of the worst offenders. Konami went to pachinko machines, which is really a crying shame since both their Castlevania games and Metal Gear Solid games are what I consider to be two terrific examples of great gaming.

Square Enix is still doing their thing with Final Fantasy. But to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less for their new games. Back in the days when they were simply called Square, they made Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Three classic JRPGs I highly recommend to any gamer.

As a matter of fact I will probably buy Secret of Mana simply for the nostalgia. Such a great game back on the SNES.

Nintendo is holding up fairly well. Their consoles I feel are far too gimmicky. The Nintendo Switch doesn't have anything substantial in regards to performance, so it's mostly relegated to their exclusives and indie games. I played Shovel Knight on a Nintendo handheld and it did pretty good. The exclusives are still fun and worth buying. But for everything else you're better off playing on Xbox One, Playstation 4 or on Steam on your PC desktop.

But compared to most big western gaming companies, the east has better practices. I just don't care for most of the new games they're coming out with.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

I intend to get nowhere near what they put out. Last thing I got from either of them was Mass Effect 1 (2007).

Not even the first Dead Space, and that came out 10 years ago.

By the time 2012 - 2013 rolled around EA was voted the Worst Company in America according to the polls. So I can understand people jumping ship at that point.

Dead Space 3 was met with harsh reviews simply for it being forced co-op without the horror experience like the first two games had. This was more on EA's part since they like to force most of their games with a tacked on multiplayer. It was probably for the better that Visceral Games closed down, but still sad that a series that had much acclaim couldn't transfer over to the PS4/Xbox One generation.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

I'm not really into visual novels either. But, like ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, there's TONS more coming from Japan. For example, right now, I'm playing Bayonetta 2 on my Switch. It's basically Devil May Cry on steroids. Just great gameplay and no bullshit (unless you count how ridiculously hard Rodin is XD).

I take it you're mostly in stuff from Japan. I would like to get into series but like I said, I got more than enough games.