PS3 vs. PS4

Sir-Syzygy

PS3 or PS4?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. PS3 or PS4

• PS3
    • PS4

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

There are what, maybe three big Japanese companies implying bullshit practices?

Capcom is one of the worst offenders. Konami went to pachinko machines, which is really a crying shame since both their Castlevania games and Metal Gear Solid games are what I consider to be two terrific examples of great gaming.

Square Enix is still doing their thing with Final Fantasy. But to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less for their new games. Back in the days when they were simply called Square, they made Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Three classic JRPGs I highly recommend to any gamer.

As a matter of fact I will probably buy Secret of Mana simply for the nostalgia. Such a great game back on the SNES.

Nintendo is holding up fairly well. Their consoles I feel are far too gimmicky. The Nintendo Switch doesn't have anything substantial in regards to performance, so it's mostly relegated to their exclusives and indie games. I played Shovel Knight on a Nintendo handheld and it did pretty good. The exclusives are still fun and worth buying. But for everything else you're better off playing on Xbox One, Playstation 4 or on Steam on your PC desktop.

But compared to most big western gaming companies, the east has better practices. I just don't care for most of the new games they're coming out with.

I gave some good examples coming from the West before, but yeah, there are also some bad examples coming from the East. Konami would probably be the easiest example, it's possibly the EA of the East. Thankfully, I was never into anything they ever published. Capcom may have done some shady things with Street Fighter V, but I'm not aware of them being particularly shady as a whole.

Mostly, the East's sins come from some companies leaning a bit too hard on DLC (and even then, they still don't do it nearly as much as the West). Despite them making great games, the recent Atlus offerings have TONS of it. Persona 5 has 32 different packs, Persona 4 Arena Ultimax has 36 and Persona 4 Dancing All Night has 43. Granted, they're mostly cosmetics and secondary stuff, but still, I do still remember a time when that stuff came standard in the base game, namely in Persona 4 Golden, which came out just 2 years before Ultimax. Bandai Namco, despite also making great games (like Dark Souls and Bloodborne), also dove right into the Season Pass/DLC craze and never emerged. I have a tough time believing this is extra content not cut from the main game when it's announced 6 months before the actual release date. There's also Arc Systems Works, which will soon release BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle and announced - again, months before launch - that half of the bloody roster will be DLC. And that's not even the worst part - nearly all the characters in the game are just reused assets from their previous games! If this isn't cut content, I don't know what is.

-------------------------- //-----------------------------------

As you could see from by backlog picture, Chrono Trigger is also in there. I've heard great things, so I've been curious to try it out.

-------------------------- //-----------------------------------

I couldn't agree more with your stance on Nintendo. Great games, gimmicky consoles, you're still better off going somewhere else for non-exclusives. The Switch worked out well because its gimmick isn't quite so gimmicky this time around - it just allows for a variety of different play styles. Despite what Nintendo claims, the Switch is their next handheld. They're branding it as being mainly a home console just because of how expensive it is for a handheld. They just decided to merge their home console and handheld lines not only because they've been struggling in the home console department for a long time, unlike their handheld line, which has been consistently strong, but also because this way they can focus on one machine and cater to both markets at the same time. It's quite ingenious, really.

9 hours ago, Spaz said:

Not even the first Dead Space, and that came out 10 years ago.

By the time 2012 - 2013 rolled around EA was voted the Worst Company in America according to the polls. So I can understand people jumping ship at that point.

Dead Space 3 was met with harsh reviews simply for it being forced co-op without the horror experience like the first two games had. This was more on EA's part since they like to force most of their games with a tacked on multiplayer. It was probably for the better that Visceral Games closed down, but still sad that a series that had much acclaim couldn't transfer over to the PS4/Xbox One generation.

I mean, the most recent game I got from them was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011) - which was pretty terrible, if I'm being honest. I just got it mainly to complete my collection because the first few games (until Prisoner of Azkaban) were actually quite good. Mass Effect I got back in 2016, but it just so happens to be older than HP7. Still, it's from an era when EA wasn't quite as scummy as it is right now (hell, the game wasn't even originally, published by them, it used to be owned by Microsoft Studios).

• Like 1

I still can't really understand the extreme abhorrence to these "bad practices" people talk about.  If painted a certain way, obviously microtransactions and lootboxes can be spun as terrible predatory systems... yet I've been in on the vast majority of new releases this generation (be it on PS4 or otherwise) and have barely even run into these things.  No less had a game unbalanced or broken by my not participating in it.  Granted it's more commonly found in the chart topping multiplayer games that I don't personally get into, but that's primarily limited to a handful of series and a handful of publishers.  There are SO MANY games out there that play it safe (or not at all) when it comes to that stuff... yet you'd think reading online that you can't go anywhere without falling into their trap.

They've become something of a boogieman for gamers.  Every story that gets pushed out about them is more scary and upsetting than the last... and arguably dishonest.

It's certainly not something I'd look at from a distance and say "microtransactions and lootboxes ruined this generation of games" anyways.  I mean, sure, if GTA Online and Battlefront II were the only notable games to come out this generation I guess. ?  Every generation has their games of questionable design... but this generation is different, because focusing on what we hate is more important (and for some people, fun) than just playing what we like.

Edited by Dreakon13

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

I still can't really understand the extreme abhorrence to these "bad practices" people talk about.  If painted a certain way, obviously microtransactions and lootboxes can be spun as terrible predatory systems... yet I've been in on the vast majority of new releases this generation (be it on  and have barely even run into these things.  No less had a game unbalanced or broken by my not participating in it.  Granted it's more commonly found in the chart topping multiplayer games, but that's primarily limited to a handful of series and a handful of publishers.  There are SO MANY games out there that play it safe (or not at all) when it comes to that stuff... yet you'd think reading online that you can't go anywhere without falling into their trap.

They've become something of a boogieman for gamers.  Every story that gets pushed out about them is more scary and upsetting than the last... and arguably dishonest.

It's certainly not something I'd look at from a distance and say "microtransactions and lootboxes ruined this generation of games" anyways.  I mean, sure, if GTA Online and Battlefront II were the only notable games to come out this generation I guess. 1f611.png

The real issue is that the more games that are given free passes for including these systems, the higher the change a publisher will feel safe enough to push things too far with a game. Leading to a 'Shadow of War' or 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' situation. Most games with these issues are made in such a way that said issues aren't too bad, but to let them off without a fuss is what leads to the true atrocities of the medium. 

Does that make sense to you @Dreakon13 ?

I'm sure @TheEyeOfSa could explain it further if you so require? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Crispy78923 said:

The real issue is that the more games that are given free passes for including these systems, the higher the change a publisher will feel safe enough to push things too far with a game. Leading to a 'Shadow of War' or 'Star Wars: Battlefront II' situation. Most games with these issues are made in such a way that said issues aren't too bad, but to let them off without a fuss is what leads to the true atrocities of the medium. 

I understand what you're saying.  I'm personally of the mindset that silently speaking with our wallets would produce the same effect, without the bloodshed.

But the sense of self-importance is too strong in this generation of gamers... the idea that people can't possibly come to the same conclusion as you (assuming your conclusion is honest and actually a problem warranting the outrage) without cramming your exaggerated opinions down their throats (ie. fearmongering), because you see them as either too ignorant or too complacent.  Even if people bought into a bad release, it wouldn't take long for them to learn their lesson and either stop buying from certain publishers or spend their money more wisely.  Which is probably a good life lesson anyways.

EDIT:  Also, 'Shadow of War' is a great example.  The game played fine without touching the microtransactions, yet the problems were notoriously overblown by people who "saw red" before they ever touched the game.  It's nowhere near the same league as Battlefront II (few games are).

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I understand what you're saying.  I'm personally of the mindset that silently speaking with our wallets would produce the same effect, without the bloodshed.

But the sense of self-importance is too strong in this generation of gamers... the idea that people can't possibly come to the same conclusion as you (assuming your conclusion is honest and actually a problem warranting the outrage) without cramming your exaggerated opinions down their throats (ie. fearmongering), because you see them as either too ignorant or too complacent.  Even if people bought into a bad release, it wouldn't take long for them to learn their lesson and either stop buying from certain publishers or spend their money more wisely.  Which is probably a good life lesson anyways.

EDIT:  Also, 'Shadow of War' is a great example.  The game played fine without touching the microtransactions, yet the problems were notoriously overblown by people who "saw red" before they ever touched the game.  It's nowhere near the same league as Battlefront II (few games are).

The problem is we gamers are a minority compared to the casuals that play these games. They spend tons on microtransactions, one guy even spend over 15k in one year on Fifa.

It's easy to say speak with our wallets except when the large group that is playing these games don't even care about gaming at all.

13 minutes ago, Doomsdayman said:

The problem is we gamers are a minority compared to the casuals that play these games. They spend tons on microtransactions, one guy even spend over 15k in one year on Fifa.

It's easy to say speak with our wallets except when the large group that is playing these games don't even care about gaming at all.

What makes you think our screaming is changing the minds of these "casuals" though?  What're the odds they even follow these forums or gaming news well enough to see your outrage?  If someone spends $15,000 on microtransactions, I don't think any amount of berating on PSNP is going to change their minds... and honestly, no amount of negative publicity is going to make EA (or other publishers) stop something that's clearly making them a ton of money.

So I still believe what I said.  Speaking silently with our wallets will have the same effect (what little effect it really does).  Of course, people find speaking loudly with their mouths (or keyboards) more fun... and makes them believe they're making a difference in the world.  So I guess who am I to take that away. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

10 hours ago, Crispy78923 said:

The more and more crap these people slip into these games the more and more accustomed we become to them, and it will get worse and worse.

13 hours ago, jrdemr said:

I gave some good examples coming from the West before, but yeah, there are also some bad examples coming from the East. Konami would probably be the easiest example, it's possibly the EA of the East. Thankfully, I was never into anything they ever published. Capcom may have done some shady things with Street Fighter V, but I'm not aware of them being particularly shady as a whole.

Truthfully I don't know as much about what Capcom, Konami and Square Enix are doing as opposed to what EA, Bethesda and Activision do. Capcom and Konami are definitely bad. Konami refuses to re-release their classic games on modern consoles, doesn't renew licenses, and basically took a big shit on Metal Gear fans with Metal Gear Survive.

I have all the Metal Gear games on my PS3 and PS4, I just haven't gotten around to them yet. So I am into games that were made in the East, or were made by a company in Japan. I'm just not into stuff like Ni No Kuni.

Capcom has a long history of releasing countless sequels, going back to the days when Mega Man was in his prime and Street Fighter II was attracting all the kids. From what I read they imply shitty DLC practices, and I think some people raised concern with their game Street Fighter V.

Square doesn't have anything new that really appeals to me. I was debating on picking up Final Fantasy XV but it has a crapload of DLC, and it sounds like they're not quite done yet. Maybe they are, but I just don't care to check.

As you could see from by backlog picture, Chrono Trigger is also in there. I've heard great things, so I've been curious to try it out.

Definitely try it out. One of the best JRPGs of all time, and that's not me exaggerating. It's really that good.

I couldn't agree more with your stance on Nintendo. Great games, gimmicky consoles, you're still better off going somewhere else for non-exclusives. The Switch worked out well because its gimmick isn't quite so gimmicky this time around - it just allows for a variety of different play styles. Despite what Nintendo claims, the Switch is their next handheld. They're branding it as being mainly a home console just because of how expensive it is for a handheld. They just decided to merge their home console and handheld lines not only because they've been struggling in the home console department for a long time, unlike their handheld line, which has been consistently strong, but also because this way they can focus on one machine and cater to both markets at the same time. It's quite ingenious, really.

Nintendo was king in the NES, SNES and N64 eras. But ever since the Gamecube I feel they have been going towards a more niche audience rather than a big audience.

You just don't hear as much praise and feedback coming out of Nintendo like you used to. I was a long time subscriber to Nintendo Power, starting from when Donkey Kong Country was still being touted as a fantastic game for the Donkey Kong character. They offered good tips and advice for games like Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, still one of the best adventure games ever. These days I simply don't care too much anymore, and that's sad.

Nintendo came back a bit with their Nintendo Wii. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were both very decent Mario platformers. The New Super Mario Bros game wasn't bad either, and it played great on the handheld.

Pokemon is one of the big franchises Nintendo has held onto that is still doing fairly well, especially for long time fans who keep buying the new Pokemon games. But that's best suited to handhelds, which is probably where Nintendo gets most of their profit from.

The Switch by and large is a handheld. The Nintendo Wii U was much more an actual home console, but sales revealed it didn't quite do so well.

The last truly successful, best selling home console was the Nintendo 64. Since the Gamecube era, Nintendo has time and time again been squeezed out by Sony and Microsoft.

As much as I think the Xbox One is inferior to the Playstation 4 (especially the Pro), I would gladly play that any day over a Nintendo Switch for good non-exclusive games. The Switch is only really good for their exclusives and any indie games that make it on that platform.

I mean, the most recent game I got from them was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (2011) - which was pretty terrible, if I'm being honest. I just got it mainly to complete my collection because the first few games (until Prisoner of Azkaban) were actually quite good. Mass Effect I got back in 2016, but it just so happens to be older than HP7. Still, it's from an era when EA wasn't quite as scummy as it is right now (hell, the game wasn't even originally, published by them, it used to be owned by Microsoft Studios).

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was essentially a two hour snoozefest with Harry using spells in a duck and cover Uncharted style game. Only it wasn't fun, it was shit.

EA was shit to me once they started making their own Command and Conquer and SimCity games. They completely ruined those two game franchises and basically everything leading up to when EA took full control of things.

I don't think too many people realized how terrible EA was until the year 2012 when they were voted Worst Company. Then in 2013 Dead Space 3 comes out and it turns out that it was basically a boring, shoot em up two player co-op adventure, tossing out the story and the characters in place of EA trying to say they wanted to add more "variety" to the series.

Edited by Spaz

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Truthfully I don't know as much about what Capcom, Konami and Square Enix are doing as opposed to what EA, Bethesda and Activision do. Capcom and Konami are definitely bad. Konami refuses to re-release their classic games on modern consoles, doesn't renew licenses, and basically took a big shit on Metal Gear fans with Metal Gear Survive.

Capcom has a long history of releasing countless sequels, going back to the days when Mega Man was in his prime and Street Fighter II was attracting all the kids. From what I read they imply shitty DLC practices, and I think some people raised concern with their game Street Fighter V.

Square doesn't have anything new that really appeals to me. I was debating on picking up Final Fantasy XV but it has a crapload of DLC, and it sounds like they're not quite done yet. Maybe they are, but I just don't care to check.

Apart from Konami, there isn't really any company in the East that is really that bad. Excessive DLC practices aside, they're mostly benign. The closest things I can think of are the aforementioned case with Arc System Works and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle and CyberConnect2's Asura's Wrath, which sold the true ending as DLC. Other than that, it's just stuff like Bandai Namco being knee-deep in Season Passes and DLC announced months before the release of the game and Atlus releasing a crapton of DLC for their most recent games, but compared to the sheer unfettered greed we see over here in the West, that stuff's harmless.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have all the Metal Gear games on my PS3 and PS4, I just haven't gotten around to them yet. So I am into games that were made in the East, or were made by a company in Japan. I'm just not into stuff like Ni No Kuni.

I see, so you're basically not into anime-styled things. I guess that's fair. Took me a long time to get into it as well. There's a sort of "exotic" barrier you need to cross first. I personally found out that, once I did, there's basically stuff for anyone on the other side, and a lot of it's pretty great too. There's also pretty mediocre stuff, stuff that's just outright pandering and stuff that's absolute garbage, but hey, that applies even here :P (though maybe we don't do nearly as much pandering and fan service xD ). There's also a lot of stuff that's from Japan but not anime-styled, like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Metal Gear, the aforementioned Bayonetta and some fighting games like Tekken, but they do have that over-the-top quality to them you don't see in Western games, to be honest, so I guess it might not be to everyone's tastes.

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Nintendo was king in the NES, SNES and N64 eras. But ever since the Gamecube I feel they have been going towards a more niche audience rather than a big audience.

You just don't hear as much praise and feedback coming out of Nintendo like you used to. I was a long time subscriber to Nintendo Power, starting from when Donkey Kong Country was still being touted as a fantastic game for the Donkey Kong character. They offered good tips and advice for games like Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, still one of the best adventure games ever. These days I simply don't care too much anymore, and that's sad.

Nintendo came back a bit with their Nintendo Wii. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 were both very decent Mario platformers. The New Super Mario Bros game wasn't bad either, and it played great on the handheld.

Pokemon is one of the big franchises Nintendo has held onto that is still doing fairly well, especially for long time fans who keep buying the new Pokemon games. But that's best suited to handhelds, which is probably where Nintendo gets most of their profit from.

The Switch by and large is a handheld. The Nintendo Wii U was much more an actual home console, but sales revealed it didn't quite do so well.

The last truly successful, best selling home console was the Nintendo 64. Since the Gamecube era, Nintendo has time and time again been squeezed out by Sony and Microsoft.

As much as I think the Xbox One is inferior to the Playstation 4 (especially the Pro), I would gladly play that any day over a Nintendo Switch for good non-exclusive games. The Switch is only really good for their exclusives and any indie games that make it on that platform.

Nintendo basically started going down its own path starting with the Nintendo 64. When everyone went with CDs, Nintendo stubbornly stuck with cartridges just to prevent piracy, which in turn reduced the amount of data available in games and made them lose a ton of exclusives, most notably Final Fantasy. With the GameCube, they could have corrected course, but they chose to go with a proprietary disc that only held about 1/3 of what the DVD did, and so yet again, they were stubbornly going down their own path just to prevent piracy (the console was pretty powerful though, even more so than the Playstation 2). Then with the Wii, they barely even upgraded the hardware - the thing was basically an overclocked GameCube. Everyone was moving over to HD gaming and Nintendo still stuck with Scart output. Also, it was here that they purposefully started just creating their own gaming bubble. Everyone was trying to perfect the controller format started by the Dualshock back in 1995 and Nintendo wanted to put everyone on their feet swinging at their TVs like crazy. The Wii U was basically them yet again trying to correct course, but with a gimmicky controller, graphics that were yet again vastly outdated, and absolutely dreadful marketing, the thing mostly stayed on store shelves, unsold (shame, because it kinda had some great games - but even I waited until the Switch port to get Bayonetta 2). The Switch is yet again vastly underpowered compared to the competition, but with much better marketing and the promise of true HD gaming both on your TV and on the go, the thing is selling like hotcakes, unlike its predecessor. Hell, even I had never got a console in its first year (which just goes to show how much I wanted to play Bayonetta 2 :P)

They still make great games. All of their first-party exclusives have always garnered tons of praise ever since the NES. Hell, last year no one would shut up about Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. It's just that ever since the GameCube, less and less people were there to experience them, as most of us jumped ship to the Playstation and Xbox.

Pokémon is a franchise that, unlike pretty much all other Nintendo first-party properties, has stagnated ever since the 3rd generation. There's no real innovation in the gameplay, it's just more of the same. Everything that could have been done with the franchise had already been done back in the 1st and 2nd generations. Though yeah, it pretty much still sells like nuts.

I also go to my PS4 for non-exclusives. It performs better, has trophies and I can actually make a backup of my saved games.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

Apart from Konami, there isn't really any company in the East that is really that bad. Excessive DLC practices aside, they're mostly benign. The closest things I can think of are the aforementioned case with Arc System Works and BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle and CyberConnect2's Asura's Wrath, which sold the true ending as DLC. Other than that, it's just stuff like Bandai Namco being knee-deep in Season Passes and DLC announced months before the release of the game and Atlus releasing a crapton of DLC for their most recent games, but compared to the sheer unfettered greed we see over here in the West, that stuff's harmless.

I wouldn't put Capcom completely in the safe zone as they have been guilty for some shit a lot of people weren't too happy with.

Konami, as countless thousands of already said on the internet at this point, is just a shell of it's former self. I can definitely see a current gen Castlevania that was put together well to get great praise. Metal Gear Solid V was the last great hurrah for Konami. Everything else has been shit and Konami is a fucking disgrace compared to how good they used to be.

I don't blame Hideo Kojima at all for leaving. I hope he's doing well on his current project.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

I see, so you're basically not into anime-styled things. I guess that's fair. Took me a long time to get into it as well. There's a sort of "exotic" barrier you need to cross first. I personally found out that, once I did, there's basically stuff for anyone on the other side, and a lot of it's pretty great too. There's also pretty mediocre stuff, stuff that's just outright pandering and stuff that's absolute garbage, but hey, that applies even here :P (though maybe we don't do nearly as much pandering and fan service xD ). There's also a lot of stuff that's from Japan but not anime-styled, like Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Metal Gear, the aforementioned Bayonetta and some fighting games like Tekken, but they do have that over-the-top quality to them you don't see in Western games, to be honest, so I guess it might not be to everyone's tastes.

I don't like anime that much. The style, the way a lot of anime revolves around a certain theme, etc etc doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Granted the dubs are much better than they were back in the 1990s, and it's very easy now to just buy a DVD/Blu-Ray set or stream your favorite anime on your computer screen, complete with original Japanese voice acting. I got over anime in the mid 2000s when it looked like it was being dumbed down further and further to appeal to a younger audience.

The Mario games, the Sonic games I am still into, and they're still being made in Japan. Anime just isn't my style.

1 hour ago, jrdemr said:

Nintendo basically started going down its own path starting with the Nintendo 64. When everyone went with CDs, Nintendo stubbornly stuck with cartridges just to prevent piracy, which in turn reduced the amount of data available in games and made them lose a ton of exclusives, most notably Final Fantasy. With the GameCube, they could have corrected course, but they chose to go with a proprietary disc that only held about 1/3 of what the DVD did, and so yet again, they were stubbornly going down their own path just to prevent piracy (the console was pretty powerful though, even more so than the Playstation 2). Then with the Wii, they barely even upgraded the hardware - the thing was basically an overclocked GameCube. Everyone was moving over to HD gaming and Nintendo still stuck with Scart output. Also, it was here that they purposefully started just creating their own gaming bubble. Everyone was trying to perfect the controller format started by the Dualshock back in 1995 and Nintendo wanted to put everyone on their feet swinging at their TVs like crazy. The Wii U was basically them yet again trying to correct course, but with a gimmicky controller, graphics that were yet again vastly outdated, and absolutely dreadful marketing, the thing mostly stayed on store shelves, unsold (shame, because it kinda had some great games - but even I waited until the Switch port to get Bayonetta 2). The Switch is yet again vastly underpowered compared to the competition, but with much better marketing and the promise of true HD gaming both on your TV and on the go, the thing is selling like hotcakes, unlike its predecessor. Hell, even I had never got a console in its first year (which just goes to show how much I wanted to play Bayonetta 2 :P)

They still make great games. All of their first-party exclusives have always garnered tons of praise ever since the NES. Hell, last year no one would shut up about Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. It's just that ever since the GameCube, less and less people were there to experience them, as most of us jumped ship to the Playstation and Xbox.

Pokémon is a franchise that, unlike pretty much all other Nintendo first-party properties, has stagnated ever since the 3rd generation. There's no real innovation in the gameplay, it's just more of the same. Everything that could have been done with the franchise had already been done back in the 1st and 2nd generations. Though yeah, it pretty much still sells like nuts.

I also go to my PS4 for non-exclusives. It performs better, has trophies and I can actually make a backup of my saved games.

Nintendo by and large is the most successful video game company of all time. Sony is granted a close second when it comes to sales, but their handheld market is absolutely abysmal compared to Nintendo's handhelds. I don't see or hear anything about a potential new handheld Sony is working on, so don't expect that anytime soon.

Even if Nintendo decided to go the route of PlayStation to make everything CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays respectively to play on their consoles, I still don't see them doing quite so well with non-exclusive games. Nintendo has always been pretty strict about what games are allowed on their consoles. Much of their library consists of E (Everyone), E+10 (Everyone +10) and T (Teen). I understand there have been M rated games on the consoles. Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 is a perfect example of this. But I still feel that Sony and Microsoft have been a lot more relaxed towards games that were clearly aimed towards adults.

I don't ever see Nintendo coming up with a competitor to God of War with their own gory hack and slash game. I can't think of a single game Nintendo has ever made in their long history that was rated M. Conker's Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark are the best that I can think of, neither of which was developed by Nintendo themselves. The Metroid series is generally rated Teen, I can definitely see a potential game that would take on a darker tone with more blood and vulgar language. But Nintendo would never have it.

The lack of M rated games and even T rated games on Nintendo's consoles is another reason I think they have been lagging far behind compared to Microsoft and Sony. You have to attract a bigger variety of people if you want to have a very successful product.

Sadly I don't think all of Nintendo realizes this because they have been following the same themes and standards for over 20 years. We no longer live in the 8,16, 32, 64 bit generations that mostly attracted the children and the teenagers who begged their parents for the next Mario game. Nintendo back in the 1980s and 1990s had a significant hold on the market and much of that was kids. I was no different, I was one of millions of kids out there who popped in Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo, and played with a couple friends with Street Fighter II. These days children are no longer the significant number, they are adults like yourself and I who have a disposable income and can go out and buy the latest AAA game.

In all honesty, Mario realistically hasn't changed all that much either. He's still the same guy he was back in Super Mario 64 in 1996. The graphics are better, there is a lot more you can do, there are new mechanics in the various flagship Mario games that have been released over the past two decades. But it's still the same sort of platforming we all grew up with and loved. I'm not saying this is entirely bad but it's not all that good either. Series have to evolve, and Pokemon is a great example of one that hasn't really evolved too much.

God of War evolved, we've all seen this with the latest game. Nintendo I feel is in a funk, one that's difficult to get out of. I loved Nintendo as a kid, couldn't get enough of them because they helped define my childhood. To see where they are now and how far behind they are compared to Sony and Microsoft is just depressing.

Handhelds are the only thing Nintendo has going for them. Everything else as far as I'm concerned doesn't hold to candle to what the old Nintendo was.

Edited by Spaz

28 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don't ever see Nintendo coming up with a competitor to God of War with their own gory hack and slash game. I can't think of a single game Nintendo has ever made in their long history that was rated M.

They've done both in a single game and I'm playing it right now:

bayonetta-boxarts.jpg

Edited by jrdemr

2 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

They have and I'm playing it right now:

bayonetta-boxarts.jpg

Bayonetta was made by PlatinumGames. Bayonetta 2 was published by Nintendo but I wouldn't say it was all Nintendo.

There have been plenty of M rated games on Nintendo's consoles, but nothing like you see on Sony or Microsoft.

On 7-5-2018 at 1:55 PM, Dreakon13 said:

What makes you think our screaming is changing the minds of these "casuals" though?  What're the odds they even follow these forums or gaming news well enough to see your outrage?  If someone spends $15,000 on microtransactions, I don't think any amount of berating on PSNP is going to change their minds... and honestly, no amount of negative publicity is going to make EA (or other publishers) stop something that's clearly making them a ton of money.

So I still believe what I said.  Speaking silently with our wallets will have the same effect (what little effect it really does).  Of course, people find speaking loudly with their mouths (or keyboards) more fun... and makes them believe they're making a difference in the world.  So I guess who am I to take that away. xD

No, but we are venting frustrations. ?

PS3 all the way. For me it had the better games, exclusives and started countless franchises we still play today. Furthermore the Xross Bar was better arranged. 

The PS4 for me is the console of remasters and overhyped games. 

Btw. these are just some examples for the games and franchises which were on the PS3 (and Xbox360)

Uncharted 

Bioshock 

Dragon Age

Mass Effect

Assassin’s Creed

Heavy Rain

Ni No Kuni

Red Dead Redemption

Batman Arkham Series

Infamous

Bayonetta

The Last Of Us

Borderlands

Dark Souls

Skate

etc.

Plus some successors from other generations

God of War 3

Fallout 3

Skyrim

Far Cry 3

Burnout Paradise

Tomb Raider Reboot

GTA 4 and 5

And I am not even listing fan favorites like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and the countless Japanese titles, the reboot of fighting games, special interests and so on...

Another important aspect for this topic is that imo it is simply unfair to compare modern technologies with older ones. Sure, pointing out USB ports, headphone jacks, rumble features and so on makes kinda sense but saying that PS4 games look better, load faster and therefore are superior is weird. By that logic every new console will always be better than the last. Shouldn't we look into the games? 

Edited by Gommes_
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

Btw. these are just some examples for the games and franchises which were on the PS3 (and Xbox360)

Uncharted 

Bioshock 

Dragon Age

Mass Effect

Assassin’s Creed

Heavy Rain

Ni No Kuni

Red Dead Redemption

Batman Arkham Series

Infamous

Bayonetta

The Last Of Us

Borderlands

Dark Souls

Skate

etc.

All credibility lost :dunno:

1 minute ago, Dav9834 said:

All credibility lost :dunno:

I wanted to point out that many games on that list are not ps3 exclusives, genius. Heavy Rain was not on the 360 as well as Infamous, Ni No Kuni and so on.

If I wouldn't have put xbox360 in brackets some other smart ass could've said "Yeah but you know, many of these games were also on the xbox, so how exactly was the

PS3 superior?" But well, now I have to deal with you ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

I wanted to point out that many games on that list are not ps3 exclusives, genius. Heavy Rain was not on the 360 as well as Infamous, Ni No Kuni and so on.

If I wouldn't have put xbox360 in brackets some other smart ass could've said "Yeah but you know, many of these games were also on the xbox, so how exactly was the

PS3 superior?" But well, now I have to deal with you 1f601.png

Ya it comes off way more that you were listing cross platform games. 

And ya I thought by listing the other PS exclusives, my post would lose its humor :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gommes_ said:

PS3 all the way. For me it had the better games, exclusives and started countless franchises we still play today. Furthermore the Xross Bar was better arranged. 

The PS4 for me is the console of remasters and overhyped games. 

Uncharted 

Bioshock 

Dragon Age

Mass Effect

Assassin’s Creed

Heavy Rain

Ni No Kuni

Red Dead Redemption

Batman Arkham Series

Infamous

Bayonetta

The Last Of Us

Borderlands

Dark Souls

Skate

etc.

Plus some successors from other generations

God of War 3

Fallout 3

Skyrim

Far Cry 3

Burnout Paradise

Tomb Raider Reboot

GTA 4 and 5

And I am not even listing fan favorites like Dead Space, Mirror's Edge and the countless Japanese titles, the reboot of fighting games, special interests and so on...

Another important aspect for this topic is that imo it is simply unfair to compare modern technologies with older ones. Sure, pointing out USB ports, headphone jacks, rumble features and so on makes kinda sense but saying that PS4 games look better, load faster and therefore are superior is weird. By that logic every new console will always be better than the last. Shouldn't we look into the games? 

The Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 generations had more originality. Let's just put it that way.

All anybody can think about these days is copying other games. Not necessarily copy them to the point of copyright infringement but make them feel so similar you feel like you're playing the same game twice.

The list you showed already says the Playstation 3 had more originality in their games.

The best I have seen thus far that aren't indie games are Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Bloodborne and maybe Assassins Creed Origins. Possibly Wolfenstein: The New Order since that game was a lot of fun to play. Could Fallout 4 make the list?

Every single one of those games apart from Horizon Zero Dawn are games that already had established series in the Playstation 3 generation.

• Like 1

On 10.5.2018 at 4:26 PM, Spaz said:

The Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 generations had more originality. Let's just put it that way.

All anybody can think about these days is copying other games. Not necessarily copy them to the point of copyright infringement but make them feel so similar you feel like you're playing the same game twice.

The list you showed already says the Playstation 3 had more originality in their games.

The best I have seen thus far that aren't indie games are Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Bloodborne and maybe Assassins Creed Origins. Possibly Wolfenstein: The New Order since that game was a lot of fun to play. Could Fallout 4 make the list?

Every single one of those games apart from Horizon Zero Dawn are games that already had established series in the Playstation 3 generation.

This ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 10:26 AM, Spaz said:

Honestly, I think the blame falls on us for that.  When the community basically decides all games have to be X+ hours long to be worth a day one purchase (which we know the first week of sales for a game can make or break it)... developers/publishers will gravitate towards that same general type of game.

Right now the market is oversaturated with multiplayer games with infinite replayability (because its less about the content and more about the social aspects, fad genres, etc), open world games, and semi-open world "hub" styles, which has even engulfed former linear franchises like God of War and Uncharted.  There aren't many new and interesting directions to take when the people who pay your bills effectively force you into the same formula for the better part of a decade... because without the time wasting fluff that comes with "dynamic open world content", most games probably wouldn't be more than 10-15 hours at most, and they'd be deemed games to "pick up on a heavy discount several years from now".  And that isn't good enough.

Seems like most people dig for more reasons to NOT buy games these days, than the other way around.  It's no wonder the industry generally chooses safe over creative.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

Sure seems like people are quick to judge each console by 1% of its titles, rather than the full catalog each offers.

And the 1% being judged are the ones with the highest marketing budgets, which results in the highest sales. So the 1% aimed at the most casual of console gamers.

For a site who’s membership is presumably well-informed about much more than that 1%, they sure get obsessed over to a freightening degree.