“What the Hell Is That Still Doing There” Backlog Event Ver. 3.0

3 hours ago, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

This is going to be a bit of a reflective post. I often wonder what strategies people have to deal with their backlogs. Just to put in into perspective, I've probably trophy hunted for 6 or so years on the ps4, if I had a guess. Despite this, I can't help but acknowledge how freaking long it takes to complete all these games especially when its hard to stop yourselves adding the latest new game etc. The worst my backlog hit was about 1000 trophies with 70 odd incomplete games on my profile (which compared to many is insignificant). Thanks to this event, ive been able to drop that to about 450 odd with close to 40 unfinished games. Ive been completing minimum one game a month for about 18 months now, and to keep continuing this it would take me another 3 years, which to be honest seems too long.

So more so to my question, do you guys do anything in particular to try and knock down your backlogs faster?

I've tried to complete a certain amount of games before I add new ones, but then I have my off days and add 3 so I didn't find it successful, I've also tried to say I could add games after a certain number of trophies but had much the same result.

Now when I feel the need to add games, I'll add something I know I can finish quickly just to kill the urge that doesn't hurt the backlog for too long.

The other thing I've been doing is to try and complete more than just the 1 games by the end of the calendar month because if I do that I'm forced to find something else horrendous to tackle for the month after.

Just some random thoughts but I'd be interested in how people like to tackle their backlogs.

i started playing on my profile pretty much at the same time when trophies got introduced and i always kinda did them but not really. i had horrble internet so i often skipped onlinetrophies and i used to have a big hate towards collecting collectables with guides. i hate that still^^ anyway that plus me trying whatever i wanted from the early days of psplus let my backlog grow quiet a bit.
i always went back to older games from time to time to finish some but i first really started to tackle by backlog about 2 years ago. at that point i had about 6000 unearned trophies and countless unfinished games. in a lot of cases it was just a few trophies missing. in infamous for example i had just 1 collectible missing^^

anyway what simply decided that i wanted to safe money on games. so first i dont buy anything at release and instead wait for them to become cheaper and second playing stuff i payed for already is even better^^ so i simply just stick to older games. when one is finished i imideatley start the next one and only add new games in pretty rare cases when i really am sick of getting collectibles^^

i always try to have 3 "active" games at a time. usually its a short one that might be played in break from other things or in one go to the end. a middle one in the 20-40h range and a long one. also usually the middle or the long one have me depend on something thats out of my control and i make sure to not have both of them be like that.
a typical example to keep me motivated looks like this
long game: Dragonage inquisition. i really like the game so its my game to have fun with but it has some missables so sometime when i am really not in the mood to look anything up in a guide i need another game for in between
middle one: dead island. not too long but still some stuff to do and got some online trophies. also to make it more fun i played this in coop

short one: chronovolt. not a good game so in this cases i didnt do it in one go but a good game to be played in very very short burts. like while i poop of when in bed already and not in the mood to sleep yet

choosing which games to do next is almost always done by my girlfriend. she isnt a gamer at all but i tell her what the game is about how long it takes and in which of these categories it is. so dragonage would be long and has missables. alice madness returns would be middle and has collectibles and so on. 

she usually has a good instinct for what i am in the mood for and like this i also have another thing thats stopping me from starting new games (she still tells me to do a new one from time to time when she has a feeling i need that^^)

thats my system and for me it works great. at the moment i stand ad about 4600 unearned trophies and 219 unfinished games. there are lots of unobtainables in that so it will never go down to 0 but i hope to go to 100 unfinished games in the end and try to get my completion up to 95%. but for that i probably have to get some new games in and done too
in my best months i managed to get about 12-14 games done (the pandemic helped with that^^) but i usually try to finish finish at least 1 of course. target is always about 3-4 and i hope is up for 6

• Like 3

15 hours ago, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

SNIP

It's actually the first year I've set myself some goals for trophy hunting.

One of those goals is to get my amount of unearned trophies down to 3250, but seeing that I've started the year with ~3800 and where I'm at now ... I should rather try to stay closer to 3800, or at least don't end the year with a 4xxx.

My aim for this challenge is two games a month, if there's nothing new that I'd rather play. Last month it were WRC9 and Wreckfest that took most of my time. While there's a bunch of cool stuff on my 30 games long to-do list, I've played a lot of racing games last month.

I always start a month with a game for this challenge though. Making sure to keep the streak alive.

This months second game depends highly on the new Ratchet game. With most of the other games I was hyped for this year delayed, I really need this platinum!

Next months game is F1 2020, that's already set in stone. F1 2021 is released mid july, want to get rid of the old game before that.

I try to keep a few backlog games installed and up to date, just in case I want to play something different for a while ... or have to because I get annoyed by a game, but I keep switching to a minimum if I can manage it. We all know the pain switching from different controller layouts, don't we?

The only trophies/games that are more or less fixed are x00 and x50 milestones. Platinum #600 is going to be my third Witcher 3 stack (love that game) and #650 is currently planned to be the PS5 Control stack (that can change though, it's still 70 other games until I get there.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

It's actually the first year I've set myself some goals for trophy hunting.

One of those goals is to get my amount of unearned trophies down to 3250, but seeing that I've started the year with ~3800 and where I'm at now ... I should rather try to stay closer to 3800, or at least don't end the year with a 4xxx.

My aim for this challenge is two games a month, if there's nothing new that I'd rather play. Last month it were WRC9 and Wreckfest that took most of my time. While there's a bunch of cool stuff on my 30 games long to-do list, I've played a lot of racing games last month.

I always start a month with a game for this challenge though. Making sure to keep the streak alive.

This months second game depends highly on the new Ratchet game. With most of the other games I was hyped for this year delayed, I really need this platinum!

Next months game is F1 2020, that's already set in stone. F1 2021 is released mid july, want to get rid of the old game before that.

I try to keep a few backlog games installed and up to date, just in case I want to play something different for a while ... or have to because I get annoyed by a game, but I keep switching to a minimum if I can manage it. We all know the pain switching from different controller layouts, don't we?

The only trophies/games that are more or less fixed are x00 and x50 milestones. Platinum #600 is going to be my third Witcher 3 stack (love that game) and #650 is currently planned to be the PS5 Control stack (that can change though, it's still 70 other games until I get there.)

i still have no clue what my platinum 400 should be^^ only 4 platinums until i have to decide^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

i still have no clue what my platinum 400 should be^^ only 4 platinums until i have to decide^^

Hehe :D - it's a thing that keeps me sane during boring grinds.

I really enjoy getting collectibles, but grinding exp or things like that ... disgusting.

Whenever I'm grinding I start and create my personal trophy guides. 

Did one for the Witcher for example when I did my second stack of the game. Can't remember what I was grinding then.

For games that include crafting I like to have a raw list of materials for the things that I need. Helps a lot while selling all the other stuff. The amount of times I had to buy something back for much more than I got from selling :angry:

For Witcher I've also included the cut off points for nearly every quest according to the wiki, every level makes Death March so much easier.

And whenever I've got one ready for a game I've liked the first stack a lot, it's getting the next free milestone spot. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys, I find it interesting to see some of the similarities and differences. One thing I find I have been able to do is not start games from new series until I finish the old ones. Except super meat boy. Stuff that series ?

I certainly do rotate my games around as well. Always something to do with dailies, an open world game, and something else I can afk. Good mixture to hop between them that way.

12 hours ago, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, I find it interesting to see some of the similarities and differences. One thing I find I have been able to do is not start games from new series until I finish the old ones. Except super meat boy. Stuff that series 1f605.png

I certainly do rotate my games around as well. Always something to do with dailies, an open world game, and something else I can afk. Good mixture to hop between them that way.

i have the original super meat boy also still in my list. not sure yet when to start working on that^^

btw in your goals the > symbols are the wrong way around.
unearned trophies < 300 would mean that you want to have less

• Like 1

So currently i'm kinda in a "workin on evrything finish nothing mood". 

But i set myself a goal to reach 40% average completion this year. 

Haven't done the math cause i think it's impossible but let's see where this is going. 

Besides the ratalaika stuff can you guys suggest any guys that are good to plat without a guide? 

Don't care if they are hard or long but i really hate playing games that definitely require a guide open all time. 

1 hour ago, Aviditas90 said:

Besides the ratalaika stuff can you guys suggest any guys that are good to plat without a guide? 

Don't care if they are hard or long but i really hate playing games that definitely require a guide open all time. 

Comparing games we've both played:

Need for Speed - the majority of trophies are story related, then rep based.
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed - complete the story once (any ending) & in New game+ there's options to show the choices for the other endings. It's nice little character pictures near choices that'll lead to their ending. I think you have to do all side missions, but it's just a matter of checking in for new ones. Then lots of beat em up (read as striping) vampires for weapons & clothing.
Monster Hunter World - put in that crown hunting time! The rest follows ?
Need for Speed: Rivals - no collectibles from what I remember, just maxing out both routes & some online. Not sure if this is one EA is about to close the servers for, might be worth a check.
Deadpool - a bit of a challenge for a few trophies. It looks like you need a playthrough on veteran, then replays of certain chapters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

Comparing games we've both played:

Need for Speed - the majority of trophies are story related, then rep based.
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed - complete the story once (any ending) & in New game+ there's options to show the choices for the other endings. It's nice little character pictures near choices that'll lead to their ending. I think you have to do all side missions, but it's just a matter of checking in for new ones. Then lots of beat em up (read as striping) vampires for weapons & clothing.
Monster Hunter World - put in that crown hunting time! The rest follows 1f61d.png
Need for Speed: Rivals - no collectibles from what I remember, just maxing out both routes & some online. Not sure if this is one EA is about to close the servers for, might be worth a check.
Deadpool - a bit of a challenge for a few trophies. It looks like you need a playthrough on veteran, then replays of certain chapters.

Tbh i hate racing games. I'm kinda fine with that arcade racing types but really have to be in the mood. 

So i somewhen bought the "original" akibas beat. Are they storywise connected and should i play that first (if its doable without a guide) or is undressed and undead some spinoff? 

But kinda like the game when i tried it. Good to know that its doable without a guide. 

I love monster hunter. And doing some hunts from time to time. Defintly wanna finish world and icebore this year but thst crown farming is really something. 

At least the basic game is almost done. 

Mostly the elders are missing but should be doable. 

As for Deadpool and a lot of my higher percentage Ps3 games i lost my savefiles a while ago. 

So it kinda is like starting from the scratch. 

I really like this hack and slash games but hell am i bad at them. 

Might work on the god of war series (which should be doable) or finally try to get good enough for the devil may cry series. 

• Like 1

@Aviditas90

Akiba's Beat is the third game in the series. The story is not connected at all, & I'd go so far as to say Beat is more a spinoff since they made the game into an RPG. It will take a guide to finish.

The one on your trophy list is two. But if you did enjoy it & would like to play them in order, the first game is getting released next month on the PS4: Akiba's Trip Hellbound & Debriefed. Not ashamed to admit I have it pre-ordered.

Yeah, MHW takes hundreds of hours to plat. Keep an eye out for events that feature elders. It's faster in the long run than checking through finite quests.

I think DMC is probably tougher then Deadpool, but my skill level with these types of games is terrible. So don't take my word for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

@Aviditas90

Akiba's Beat is the third game in the series. The story is not connected at all, & I'd go so far as to say Beat is more a spinoff since they made the game into an RPG. It will take a guide to finish.

The one on your trophy list is two. But if you did enjoy it & would like to play them in order, the first game is getting released next month on the PS4: Akiba's Trip Hellbound & Debriefed. Not ashamed to admit I have it pre-ordered.

Yeah, MHW takes hundreds of hours to plat. Keep an eye out for events that feature elders. It's faster in the long run than checking through finite quests.

I think DMC is probably tougher then Deadpool, but my skill level with these types of games is terrible. So don't take my word for it.

Oh okay got it.

When it comes to Jrpgs or Jrpg like games my backlog is way to long. 

And my wishlist even longer. 

So for now i'll stick with the games i already got (expect shin megami tensei is on sale pretty fast. Guess i couldn't resist that). 

For now the problem with Ps3 games is that i only got wired controllers left. 

But definitely gonna give Akibas Trip a go when the Kittys are a little older and don't wanna play with evrything that's moving anymore :D

Yeah i lost like 50 hours of playtime on monster hunter World because my old Ps4 died. 

In that 50 hours i got a lot of the elder crowns and it kinda still burns me out to hope for them again but slowly making progress again. 

Yeah i guess dmc is way harder but damn i love the dmc franchise and really wanna get good at these games someday. Might never get the plats but at least wanna finish them on "hard". 

• Like 1

Completed some more today....

S52046d.png
Null Drifter  NA
All 18 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 1 week

S475302.png
All 16 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 11 months, 2 weeks

S702eff.png
Pity Pit  NA
All 19 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 6 months, 4 weeks

S4e3667.png
Prehistoric Dude  NA
All 13 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 1 week

S5476bf.png
Project Starship  AS
All 19 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 3 weeks

S62019e.png
Red Death  AS
All 19 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 3 weeks

Sa918dd.png
Reed 2  AS
All 12 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 1 day

Sfc323d.png
Rush Rover  AS
All 14 Trophies
26th June 2021  Platinum in 7 months, 3 days

reasonably productive couple of days ?

• Like 4

@Aviditas90

Yeah, I don't think I'll live long enough to play all the RPGs I've bought, or will buy in the future. It's crazy when I think how many people it took to make them. Such a creative, technically demanding job. 

Aw, you might miss those playful kitty days? The TV screen might be thankful though. My dog will only sit with me for story games, because I guess she thinks they're movies (not far off base there).

Keep making that progress, & backup frequently! It sucks to lose all those crowns, but you did it once. You've got this!

@damage_6-9

What an awesome way to celebrate. Happy birthday! ?

I see one of them is Birthday at Midnight ?

Please, remember to log those in (if you haven't already).

• Like 2

Was waiting to complete my monthly game (needed to wait in orde to make it 6 months lol). Completed the last 2 DLC needed for the 100% on immortal. DLC 2 was fun but a bit short, DLC 3 was very mixed feelings with the top down view. Glad it's over tho. 

S0a6382.png
All 69 Trophies
28th June 2021  Completed in 6 months, 2 days
  • Like 3

i kinda got back into this thing were you pley games that are less than a decade old so i dont think i finish any more games this month so here is my update

S4053e7.png
All 53 Trophies
1st June 2021  Platinum in 7 years, 8 months

God i love the Vita. This game is great and i am really sad that the VITA stopped getting Triple A Stuff like this. Anyway no idea why i stopped this (i always throught i got anoyed with the 10 kill streak online but i had that trophy already) and this month i was finally able to clean it up. only slight inconvinience had been the 10k kills. after beeing done with everything else i only had about 6k^^ so the grind took a while after that but the levels are relativles short so everytime i felt like i got 10min of time i did a level. can easiely be done while on the bus or toilett over time^^

Sa02ae3.png
All 17 Trophies
3rd June 2021  Completed in 12 years, 6 months

one of my First ever playstation games that i owned myself (never had a ps2) there was actually only 1 trophy missing that needed me to play a mode it simply didnt like. Very happy to have this 100% in my profile finally as this game really shaped my taste in games and awakened my love for twinstick shooters (espacially the housemarque games^^)
it also comes kinda close to the biggest possible trophy gap atm^^ with the first trophy beeing earned in dec of 2008.

Scc76d6.png
All 9 Trophies
6th June 2021  Completed in 8 years, 5 months

This game sucked. its one of those games that were free in the early psplus times were i tried basically everything they gave us. only picked it up again because when the messaging system of vita gets turned off the 100% become unobtainable. luckiely it didnt take very long. if you didnt start it yet stay far away from this game^^ it even made me write a forum post about it^^

S8e43e1.png
50 of 58 Trophies
9th June 2021  Platinum in 10 years, 5 months

Back in school i always used to go to a papershop that also had games with a school friend who was also trophyhunting. this shop often had leftover games that they couldnt sell for damn cheap and we bought a lot of stupid stuff for what have been fast platinums back in the day. ( in this case about 15h^^ one of the faste rones back in the day^^) it also bugged me to have spend 10 bucks just to have the plat of this game and then not having it for so long^^ anyway i made it finally. the game is not great but it was also not too bad to play. i also wanted to finish the DLC but a bad mode in a mediocre game was a bit too much for me right now^^ will probably get back to it at some point...or maybe not... time will tell^^

S06ebd3.png
Dead Nation (ps3)
35 of 41 Trophies
15th June 2021  Platinum in 10 years, 2 weeks

This has always been the only housemarque game i didnt like and it bugged me that it was the only one i had no platinum but 2 unfinished lists in my profile^^ so i fianlly picked it up again and tbh its great. when you fully upgrad ethe standard rifle its really satisfying to shoot loaded shoots in zombie hordes. also the difficulty is much more doable than i expected. all in all when you make a plan what to do the levels are pretty fair and due to the fixed spawnpoints you can really take control ove rthe level but trying a few times. after plating this instead of going for the DLC i decided to start the Ps4 version first. there the DLC is necesarry for the plat and i want to up my ultrarare count a little more. i hope when i figured out how to do the trophies efficient in the ps4 version going back to ps will be quick to 100% but as of now i didnt get them don eyet. Anyway great game i would really recommend. Ps4 version has noticably better graphics btw. i expected a pure port^^

Thats it for the month. as said i got a little back into playing newer games. its kind of a different process if you play what you want instead of playing what you want from a pool of unfinished projects. even tho that pool i qiuet big in my case there is still a reason i stopped for most of the games^^
i also with the pandemy getting easier atm started to do couch coop sessions again and finish a way out and after that ratchet and clank full frontal assault became my platinum #400. i hope to have ratchet and clank rift apart as 400 but i still got no ps5. sadly i confused the dates i couldt fet full frontal assult as 400 on the release date of rift apart but thats ok^^

anyway i am currently working on 
Dead nation apocalypse edition (ps4)

call of duty back ops 2

with next months traveling i will probably do something on the vita 

• Like 4