“What the Hell Is That Still Doing There” Backlog Event Ver. 3.0

@Gretchen27 quick question:

I'm planning to make my game for this month the borderlands 3 version for PS5. (Already gotten the platinum, working on DLCs now).

Do you mind changing the August game to Sekiro? It's the game I've "worked" hardest for last month. No worries if not though, it might look a bit weird if there's Borderlands 3 twice, but afaik console stacks are within the rules of the yearly challenge :)

2 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

@Gretchen27 quick question:

I'm planning to make my game for this month the borderlands 3 version for PS5. (Already gotten the platinum, working on DLCs now).

Do you mind changing the August game to Sekiro? It's the game I've "worked" hardest for last month. No worries if not though, it might look a bit weird if there's Borderlands 3 twice, but afaik console stacks are within the rules of the yearly challenge :)

I'll switch it to Sekiro. I'd have to change the tile anyway because no, repeats are not okay for the yearly streak challenge. They have to be unique for the year, if that's what you mean by challenge. It doesn't matter in your case because you had more than one game that could count for last month. 

1 hour ago, Gretchen27 said:

I'll switch it to Sekiro. I'd have to change the tile anyway because no, repeats are not okay for the yearly streak challenge. They have to be unique for the year, if that's what you mean by challenge. It doesn't matter in your case because you had more than one game that could count for last month. 

Yes I. meant the yearly streak. 
 I misunderstood repeats then. 

i thought it meant using a platinum for month A and 100% of the same game for month B. 
In this case it would be two different console version, with separate trophy lists. But I can see why you count it as repeat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

Yes I. meant the yearly streak. 
 I misunderstood repeats then. 

i thought it meant using a platinum for month A and 100% of the same game for month B. 
In this case it would be two different console version, with separate trophy lists. But I can see why you count it as repeat

I'll need to clarify the 'no repeats' in the OP then, if everyone wants to keep that rule. 

Borderlands is in a grey area. Yes, only a few trophies auto pop & it has a seperate list. On the other hand, transferring the save, or just platinuming the game before gives an advantage to finishing it again. 

That, I know, then opens interpretations of what merits a completion based on difficulty & time. Which I would not like to do because I see people who seed their lists by starting games & letting them sit until 6 months, or readying a game to pop for a month, easy & difficult ones alike. We've all done it. 

It's why I mention in the OP total completion points are up to the participant's discretion. I'd drive myself crazy trying to enforce a rigorous standard that excludes play styles. Some hold off on a platinum, planning for a milestone. Games fall into the backlog, forgotten under new releases. Others are happy finishing story completion. Earning the platinum & not bothering with the DLC. 

Understandably, gamers are varied & there will be games, or versions of games that can become exclusions to the rules. I interpret the yearly streak challenge though as a challenge. A step up from the norm by completing at least one unique game a month for one calendar year. 

I'm just in charge of updating the OP. If the majority of the yearly streak challenge participants (or even regular ones) would prefer duplicates to be allowed, then I'd be all for it. I'm always up for suggestions/improvements for the event, it's for the group after all. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

That, I know, then opens interpretations of what merits a completion based on difficulty & time. Which I would not like to do because I see people who seed their lists by starting games & letting them sit until 6 months, or readying a game to pop for a month, easy & difficult ones alike. We've all done it. 

It's why I mention in the OP total completion points are up to the participant's discretion. I'd drive myself crazy trying to enforce a rigorous standard that excludes play styles. Some hold off on a platinum, planning for a milestone. Games fall into the backlog, forgotten under new releases. Others are happy finishing story completion. Earning the platinum & not bothering with the DLC. 

Understandably, gamers are varied & there will be games, or versions of games that can become exclusions to the rules. I interpret the yearly streak challenge though as a challenge. A step up from the norm by completing at least one unique game a month for one calendar year. 

I'm just in charge of updating the OP. If the majority of the yearly streak challenge participants (or even regular ones) would prefer duplicates to be allowed, then I'd be all for it. I'm always up for suggestions/improvements for the event, it's for the group after all. 

So I do think everyone has different opinions about this and I know I am not the most active member on this forum but still :D

multiple games in the same year is also a grey area (talking about the yearly streak). I do try to complete 1 full game each month, but I've used new DLC last year. For me it's all about how much time a DLC takes but then again it's also about how much time anyone has in their life. If I play a game that has DLC coming out will most of the time wait for all the DLC to be released and then get it 100%. I did this with both Immortal Fenix Rising and I will do it with AC Valhalla. Both main games were completed within 6 months but the last DLC was released later than 6 months for me. On the other hand, the AC Valhalla DLC's will take up 15-20 hours per DLC and doing one DLC will take up most of my monthly gaming time. This makes it hard to do both in 1 month (so I do some prepping) but entering them 1 month apart would be fine by my standards. I'm not really against getting 1 trophy on a PS5 game and then waiting 6 months to auto pop, but I wouldn't personally do that. I also don't play a game and then just wait 6 months to finish it up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ich1994-1994 said:

Tbh i like the yearly challange like it is atm. There will probably always be borderline cases like borderlands but i am fine with the system of @Gretchen27 decides how it will be handled and we stick to it. In the end its quiet easy to just try to aboid such cases for the challange

I agree that the rules for using DLCs and the same game twice are perfectly fine. 
And my Borderlands case was more by chance than planned. It just happened that the second season pass was in the sale and I found a Coop Partner for PS5. 

But I think, that if a game has two different trophy lists and nothing on the second list is auto unlocked it should be perfectly fine. The game is the same and you’re a bit quicker than you are the first time, but AC Valhalla would still take ~70-80h with all the things you have to do. 
If you just auto unlock  everything after waiting six months it shouldn’t be allowed. That’s boring

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

I agree that the rules for using DLCs and the same game twice are perfectly fine. 
And my Borderlands case was more by chance than planned. It just happened that the second season pass was in the sale and I found a Coop Partner for PS5. 

But I think, that if a game has two different trophy lists and nothing on the second list is auto unlocked it should be perfectly fine. The game is the same and you’re a bit quicker than you are the first time, but AC Valhalla would still take ~70-80h with all the things you have to do. 
If you just auto unlock  everything after waiting six months it shouldn’t be allowed. That’s boring

yes in you rcase i didnt asume it was planned to abuse a borderline case^^ (also because i too bought the season pass 2 in the same sale and therefore plan to finish 2 borderlands 3 stacks in the close future :P)

yes the autopop stuff is a bit on the line. i would also not like it to much if a lot of people earn their points with autopopping after 6 months but as long as it doesnt get alot of that i am fine. i am also not a big fan of people earning points from their raindays. but there its the same for me. as long as not too many people do it i dont mind. 

in the end i participate for myself. sure some mild competition is fun but my actual goal is to clean up my profile and thats what i am doing

Edited by Ich1994-1994
  • Like 1

@JayDeLosDioses Yeah, I get going for Borderlands twice just coincided with a DLC sale or new DLC drop (if they're not done with that already), & wasn't intentional. It was just weird the same series was brought up within a week & it struck me maybe this needed to be clarified or changed. 

7 hours ago, JayDeLosDioses said:

This is the only issue I'd have from a hosting standpoint, regulating those auto pop vs completely restarted lists. 

Borderlands I'm familiar with, I can scroll right to the level & locations to tell. That's about as far as my knowledge goes though, & then thinking of all the PS5 lists via upgraded PS4 games that could potentially fall into the same category & I'll be spending much of my time looking through people's list to figure out if they auto popped or not. 

I like how @Ich1994-1994 put it, keeping it simple by avoiding duplicates in general for the challenge. 

You brought up a great one with an  AC platinum I'm not familiar with, that 70-80hrs completion time is considerable. & it made me think of another possible exception with remasters, like the Uncharted series. It's a seperate list, has to be done completely new, even has new trophies not included in the original. I'd still consider it a duplicate though because if done in the same year, Crushing/Brutal modes are no joke - but those tactics you used to get through one are fresh in your mind to use to wrap up the other. Plus, the exact same game is not unique, even if the requirements to complete it changed. 

Then there are new DLCs like @IGUnique brings up, that can take just as long as a standard game to complete. Should we consider it allowed in the challenge based on time to complete? What's the minimum going to be on time that accounts for people who game for 40hrs a month & those that game for 4hrs. Or what if the reasoning is the DLC dropped out of nowhere? Maneater DLC was a surprise to me, yet I'm not batting an eye with another Killing Floor 2 drop. Should Killing Floor 2 be excluded, but Maneater acceptable? 

The list of exceptions could be continuous if handled case by case this way. & I wouldn't want to see a situation come up where a possible exception comes up for someone just for it to be determined, say near the end of the month, that their game doesn't count for the challenge & now they don't have another game for its place. 

So, I think keeping it simple as duplicates are allowed or no duplicates period for the challenge would be better in the long run. That's my opinion & reasoning right now, not the final verdict. I'm going to give others time to weigh in with their own preferences & suggestions. 

• Like 1

First of my backlog games is completed with the Platinum now completed,

1S489bd6.png

:platinum:: Platinum
Earn all Uncharted: Drake's Fortune™ Remastered Trophies

@Gretchen27 I filled out the form, I hope I did it right, will get started on Brutal run, speedruns as well as  Resident Evil 2 after a short break to play something else

Edited by Sylvanticore
  • Like 3

Hello all!

Been busy with school and work these past couple of months since my last update. In the meantime I've managed to get another Platinum from the backlog!

S256fbe.png
All 51 Trophies
8th September 2021  Platinum in 1 year, 4 days

NBA 2K21 (PS4) [1 Year, 4 Days] Rarity: 0.51%

This is the PS4 version, will be looking to complete the PS5 version shortly! Hopefully within this month.

Also reported to the form. Glad to see everyone still chipping away at their games!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gretchen27 said:

@Sylvanticore

I checked the form, looks all good on my end. 

Congrats on that first completion & to the many more to come! 1f386.png

Thank you! I now need to update it though as I just finished the last 2 trophies of the game which were the Brutal run and the Speedrun as Donut Drake, was gonna leave them but decided to get them done now!

• Like 1

My personal take on the duplicating is that it shouldn't be allowed. But I completely agree with @Gretchen27 that it is too hard to enforce. But basically if I claim a game as a platinum for the streak and then dlc gets released for it - too bad you already claimed it once go and do something else. But that's just my personal standpoint. Stacks across consoles and what not are much the same for me but I still had to put a good 50 hours into the fifa 21 ps5 list although the list had a bit of autopopping. It's the only game I did that for love it too much.

• Like 1

Gonna switch up the next couple of games I'm gonna get done in my backlog as there is a few that really should have been done by now, in no order I'm gonna try and get Resident Evil Remake 2 and 3 done, Knack, God of War 3 and 2018, Rogue Trooper Redux (which I'll need to boost the MP trophies of),Journey, Ghostbusters and Dragonball: Kakarot, if anyone else sees a game on my list to try and get done any time soon then please do say :)

Edited by Sylvanticore
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Sylvanticore said:

Gonna switch up the next couple of games I'm gonna get done in my backlog as there is a few that really should have been done by now, in no order I'm gonna try and get Resident Evil Remake 2 and 3 done, Knack, God of War 3 and 2018, Rogue Trooper Redux (which I'll need to boost the MP trophies of),Journey, Ghostbusters and Dragonball: Kakarot, if anyone else sees a game on my list to try and get done any time soon then please do say :)

You still have some absolute top games on your list. I would recommend The horizon zero dawn DLC, Jedi fallen order, Shadow of war, The last of us remastered (although you really gotta love the gameplay for this one), crash bandicoot, Bloodborne. These games are time consuming but so much fun. Out of the list you are currently working on I would like to wish you luck with Knack. You can also add me on PSN to help with getting all the gems, such a stupid RNG mechanic that ruined the game for me....

GOW and resi 2/3 are also really good and fun games to plat!

• Like 1