“What the Hell Is That Still Doing There” Backlog Event Ver. 3.0

Game two for the month done. Completed all of the Witcher 3 DLCs.

Time and everything will be in the form once I've completed Yu-Gi-Oh, but that has to wait at least four days.

I'm starting Sekiro again in the meantime.

I don't know if I just forgot how often the game crashes, or if the NA version is just unstable af. Or maybe it's the PS5.

I had sooooooooo many crashes going for this. At least double digits. Can't remember it being so bad, but anyways.

Let me take you on my Witcher 3 journey:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was the first 18+ game I (legaly) bought myself. On my 18th birthday. I've never read the books or played another Witcher game before that (still haven't played Witcher 1 and 2) but it was so easy getting emerged in the world, catching up with earlier happening. All you need is in the game, you'll just have to read it (and as a Dark Souls fan, reading Lore wasn't anything new). 

I've finished the story, got the best? ending and went on.

[TIME SKIP]

We're now 3 1/2 years later. I've started trophy hunting. So I've went back to mostly singleplayer games.

Googled myself a guide how to get through Death March! with a good build, ditched the guide because the build was crap and finished the game on the highest difficulty. Good the worst ending and it made me sad.

But I've moved on to trophy cleanup, got myself the DLCs and got my first stack.

[TIME SKIP]

Half a year later. November 2019.

Milestone is coming up. I've decided early that, if possible, milestones should be stacks of games I've enjoyed a lot. So we're back into Witcher 3, the european GOTY. First of all, I had to redeem myself - so this time, I've good the last ending I was missing. It's a rather good one, but not the one I prefer. Game went by pretty quick. I had a general idea of what I was doing, probably not a good build, but a build that easily carried me through Death March! and some good notes to be sure to get all missables in the game.

[TIME SKIP]

Late 2020 - I've picked up the Witcher 3 Complete Edition, or north-american GOTY in a sale on my alt account. Been a while since I've last played so the start was rather tricky. I've finished most of Act 1 and then stopped. I can't remember why, but knowing me it was probably stress/depression related. 

9 months later and I've returned to the game. I've made it platinum #600.

I've finished all of the DLCs a few weeks later. Sometimes I used some adult words because I lost progress when the game crashed, but overall it's a good game. 

I'm really looking forward to Cyberpunk 3. From what I've seen and heard, Witcher 1 and 2 aren't as good as 3.

• Like 4

Thanks to @roxas1233 I've got a game I haven't even mentioned so far as game of the month.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice or more like ... SekiJay: Dies a Lot.

Being a fan of Bloodborne and an even bigger fan of the souls series is probably the thing that is holding back a lot of people in the early game, and made me quit the first time around.

Without getting behind the block and deflect mechanic there's probably no way around Lady Butterfly or Genichiro. And that's exactly where I've stopped.

But once you get into it, the game is a lot of fun. I'd still prefer Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne over it, but all three games are close at the top imo.

Most of the areas in Sekiro are fantastic, the folding monkeys is the first puzzle boss fight I've enjoyed in FromSoft games.

It can get bit repetive though. A lot of boss arenas are reused, so prepare to see a lot of the same if either of the bosses their gives you trouble.

Another thing I really don't enjoy are the mini-bosses in the level... they hit like a truck and most of the time if you die you have to first clear out the whole area again so you can face the mini-boss again. It can become annoying really quick and I've abused the sneaky deathblow for a quick first bar for every other fight in the end.

But let's get to the main part of the games, the thing that I enjoy the most. Boss fights! Most of them are above average in my opinion. Challenging but not unfair (all but one that is, more later). 

Fun fact: I've beaten Owl (Father), Isshin Ashina, Isshin, the Sword Saint and Lady Butterfly on my first try in the morning after many deaths the day before.

I'll start with my two most liked boss fights. Obviously - spoilers ahead :)

Spoiler

#2 Owl (Father)

The second fight against Owl is a lot harder than the first one, but it makes sense. He's three years younger than the story fight and uses a lot more tricks. Thankfully a lot of the new combos he get's in his first phase can be punished easily once you get the hang of it. His firecracker attack, the thrust and the double shuriken - vault are attacks you can safely get your hits in.

In phase two he get's an actual owl as companion who can't decide if it's a distraction, a teleporter or a blazing phoenix attack you. Thankfully the phoenix attack is the most punishable one in the whole fight, it's always followed by an easily countered thrust attack.

The satisfaction for cutting down the traitor is amazing.

#1 Isshin, the Sword Saint

I'd say it's by far the best endboss in FromSoft history. It's challenging but for all the right reasons. Everything you've learned during the game you have to use to win against him. 

The fight starts off with the third and final confrontation with Genichiro, but he's more a speedbump than an actual fight at this stage of the game. But once Isshin is in the arena there's no more fooling around. His first phase can go from being completed in 20 seconds to an absolut desaster, but it's the second phase that's the hard part. On top of his sword he gets a spear and an semi automatic pistol, attacking relentlessly with barely any time for any counter attacks or healing.

Thankfully phase three it a lot easier. He starts shooting lightning at you, which can be reflected for huge damage.

Now the worst bosses:

#2 Headless Ape

With the route I've choosen I've fought Guardian Ape and Headless Ape back to back, and Headless is just two more phases of Guardian Ape phase 2. But to mix it up Headless gets a Guadian Ape Phase one in his second phase... but the extra ape is quickly dealt with with firecrackers so it's just fighting the same phase of a boss three times straight. By that point you should be good enough at completing this phase...

#1 Demon of Hatred

This boss is the hardest boss in the game, but for all the wrong reasons. It's second to last in the game and you have to forget everything you've learned so far. There's no deflection, a few blockable attacks but most of the times you're supposed to touch his attacks. It's Fire-Manus. But it's not Dark Souls, the timing for dodges is extremly difficult and there's a good chance one combo will kill you. I like the lore behind the fight, but that's it. Everything else sucks. The combat isn't made for this type of fight and huge respect for everyone who did all three phases. The demon charged of the cliff in my fight. I wish I could say it was planned, but it was pure luck. I've never beat this guy legit and I'm not sad about it. 

Oh and I've also finished yugioh in 6 months and a day,  but who cares about that now :D 

Edited by JayDeLosDioses
  • Like 4

So for this month i might have to finish a ratalaika game. 

Spending most of my Playtime with the Switch or with new games (Hades, Godfall and shin megami Tensei).

Slowly working on Far Cry 3 and Borderlands but i'm pretty sure i won't finish them in time for this month.

At least my streak plat is prepared even though i really don't want to add an Ratalaika game in here.

@Gretchen27 question when you get a chance, no hurry - stance on autopops for this event? My Borderlands 2 list is partially so because of character import, just wondering if I need to consider it excluded whenever I get around to it.

(form filled out)

Sacc62e.png

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

DLC and thus the full game 100%'d in 7 months, 3 weeks

Glad I took a break after playing the main game at the start of the year, because I think that was ~90 hours and this was another 60-70. Oof.

The additional feats are simply extra quests added into the main game, and most could be done at any point you're near the area.

Legacy of the First Blade started out promising enough, but the plot took an annoying turn and tried to get me to care about said annoyance. ...No?

The Fate of Atlantis, on the other hand, started out as a bit of a drag between the quests and an overpowered enemy type literally everywhere, but picked up in its second part and carried that interest through to the end. Had some interesting ties to the other games as well. I just regret getting the most fun weapon engraving in the game right at the end, because that would have been mighty handy for all the forced combat that annoyed me in the main game - felt overpowered instead of weak with my "warrior" setup for once!

• Like 2

@SyIaris

Auto pops are okay for completion points, as long as they still meet the 6 month+ time stamp from first trophy earned. 

Just be careful if you plan to use it for the streak challenge since each monthly game must be unique for the year. An example in this case: 

? Earning the Borderlands 2 platinum January 1st, 2021, then earning the platinum for a different version anytime up till December 31st, 2021. It'll still count for your total completion, but not as a streak challenge game. So have a second game ready to go for the month if that happens. 

☑️  Earning the Borderlands 2 platinum in 2020 or before, then again this year. 

Without digging through old completions, I've seen games like Sound & Shapes used before. I'm not familiar with it, but I guess certain modes can be challenging if done legitimately the first time around. & I know it's a popular auto pop. 

Personally, you can see on my Borderlands 2 PS4 list that my location trophies were auto popped. I started with the Vita version, then transferred my save when I got the PS4 one. You still have to play through the story & re-do certain objectives. To finish my Vita list I had to get a PS3 copy to complete the Tiny Tina & glitched pirate DLC. There's plenty left to playthrough to justify a count. 

Thanks for bringing it up. It doesn't get asked that often because most auto pops get, well, popped same day ? Though Borderlands makes you work a bit for that platinum. I'll add something to the OP about stacks & auto pops. 

Edited by Gretchen27
  • Like 3

@Gretchen27

Thanks for clearing that up!

No problem with stacking plats since I already have PS3 done, only question is if I can do the new DLC's boss and drop set for the PS4 list on my own to cross off the entire list. Just glad I don't have to do all level 1 challenges again!

Can't do that with Sound Shapes anymore since the servers are gone, but it's a platformer with a bunch of "collect __ orbs in __ seconds" stages with completely random orb spawn points. They're all fairly tight on time and full of insta-death hazards, so they can be quite a pain to complete.

• Like 1

@Sylvanticore

Get on them then! I can add you if that kinda is more of a certain, but looking at a comparison of our lists, I see Uncharted: Drake's Fortune unfinished. & when that happens I can never pass up the chance to encourage someone to earn the platinum. You've got the Remastered version which has a doughnut Drake speedrun trophy. That one was fun to earn for all the games. 

& speaking of those, then you can move on to the rest of them. IMHO, 3 is the best, followed by Lost Legacy, 4, 1, & 2. 

Besides that, Batman: Arkham Knight can be an engrossing platinum to go for. Not to mention a major completion boost with 100+ trophies. 

Monster Hunter is a great one to check back in with. You've made considerable progress in it already, & with Iceborne, World becomes easier to finish. Unfortunately, it doesn't help with gold crown luck... Just some suggestions, we don't have many games in common, so others may have more suitable ones. 

@SyIaris

You got this. That boss is tough, but I did it solo. It was a bit of a long fight, not the worst the game has though. I'd offer to help, but honestly, little embarrassing how long it took me to kill it. 

Oh, the challenges. That one with the mailboxes nearly broke me. I could not do that solo & had to get friends to help. 

I can see now why Sound Shapes never interested me. I'm sure I've looked up gameplay at one point. Randomized with instant deaths I wouldn't manage well at all. 

• Like 2

SO with no acces to anything other than my VITA i didnt expect to finish anything else this month but it turned out i still did.

S541220.png
All 14 Trophies
29th August 2021  Completed in 8 years, 9 months

This game was a lot beter than i thought. "all" i missed was the collectibes and gold in every level (which is basically the only trophies you really have to do) an di didnt have my old safe so i had to start from 0 but i kinda hooked me. also only took a few h

For september i will probably finish Modnation racers. still ned the Ad hoc stuff but that should be doable i hope.

also i think i will get into the first game of the mutat blob attack games. this one was enough fun to go for the time trials 

• Like 4

Got a couple more this month. 

PvZ: BFN was just a boring time suck in the end. But I Battled my way through it. ?

S6e510e.png
All 51 Trophies
29th August 2021  Platinum in 1 year, 1 month
PS4
S
RANK
100%

spacer.png
5.85%

I platinumed this years ago as a PS+ game but never picked up the DLC. Now that they're upgraded the SKU of the game to the definitive edition I was able to get the DLC for free. So I went back and got my 100%. If you got this game through PS+ you should be able to get the DLC for free now!

Sbebf47.png
All 86 Trophies
18th August 2021  Completed in 3 years, 20 hours
PS4
S
RANK
100%

spacer.png
5.87%1.81%
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Askey said:

Got a couple more this month. 

PvZ: BFN was just a boring time suck in the end. But I Battled my way through it. 1f60b.png

S6e510e.png
All 51 Trophies
29th August 2021  Platinum in 1 year, 1 month
PS4
S
RANK
100%

spacer.png
5.85%

I platinumed this years ago as a PS+ game but never picked up the DLC. Now that they're upgraded the SKU of the game to the definitive edition I was able to get the DLC for free. So I went back and got my 100%. If you got this game through PS+ you should be able to get the DLC for free now!

Sbebf47.png
All 86 Trophies
18th August 2021  Completed in 3 years, 20 hours
PS4
S
RANK
100%

spacer.png
5.87%1.81%

Thanks alot! i just checked and the game is not in my library (had it on disc and it seems like i didnt secure it when it was in psplus) but for some reason i could add the season pass for free to my library. so everybody better check even if you didnt add at when it was in plus^^

One final game for the month. Pushed to deadline hard.

S33313a.png
All 47 Trophies
31st August 2021  Platinum in 6 months, 3 days
PS4
S
RANK

100%

24.18%

Can I just say for anyone that hasn't tried the persona series - it is elite. Grindy and long. But elite. Great storyline interesting and catchy characters and music. Very japanesy but for what its worth definitely worth a look. 

@Gretchen27 If you haven't already I wouldn't mind this game being the image for my monthly backlog challenge. If you've already done it then dont worry about it.

Now going to try and push very hard next month before some new Ps5 games drop.

Games on my agenda for next month that I believe I can knock out are - Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Watch Dogs Legion (depending on new DLC, Ghost of Tsushima. Hopefully more. 

Lets see how we go!

• Like 4