“What the Hell Is That Still Doing There” Backlog Event Ver. 3.0

Lc44084.png

I bought Life Goes On: Done To Death a bit over a year ago, and wasn't really charmed by it back then. Stoped playjng after barely finishing one world. Decided to start up the game again a day or two ago and I really enjoyed it now.

Life Goes On is a puzzle platformer with a twist: you NEED to die. And use your corpse to get through the level.

I enjoyed the puzzles, they require a big of thinking but the answer is never out of reach, the levels aren't too long and there's quite a bit of fun in there, with new puzzle parts every so often so it doesn't get too repetitive.

@Gretchen27 that makes 15 games removed from my backlog. And here's the new line:

August 2018: HITMAN (July 2017, main story completed + 1 DLC to 100%), Life Goes On: Done To Death (April 2017, story completed)

• Like 1

@Ash Williams

Tried HITMAN over the weekend. It was hard to put down ?

For just two tutorial maps I was surprised at how many opportunities & challenges you could go for. Like I said before, I’ve watched my fair share of Let’s Plays so I skipped the hard lesson phase. Aka knowing I can hide in boxes when busted, always survey the map & plan ahead, surveillance tapes can be destroyed. & above all, never get into a gunfight. Just restart the mission at that point cause the health regeneration is extremely slow & enemies are always gonna fire/reload faster than you.

So I was largely familiar with the game mechanics already, it was more a matter of actually playing it myself. With most stealth games I expect a slow process of sneaking around or hiding as you wait for a perfect setup. A very slow uninteresting process. But HITMAN didn’t seem slow or boring at all to me. In fact I was often hurrying to other points of the map to pick up an outfit or get a better vantage point before the target arrives. All of my failures were the result of stupidly running into NPCs or going past security points & blowing my cover. Also I had no luck poisoning a target. Someone would always see me spiking a drink (seems like a really slow action).

I didn’t care much for contracts. Most I ran into had strange combinations of optional objectives with far too many targets. Yeah, I know I could search for 1 target, but those were just quick uploads to complete the tutorial. This opinion could change with access to all the maps as I’d expect more interesting (& doable) contracts.

Escalation turned out to be my fav to play. Second & Third steps were the most challenging in terms of having to adjust your strategy the most for upcoming conditions. Because let’s be honest, the first step lets you get away with anything. By the Fourth you pretty much know if you’ve set a good strategy if you can just add to or tweak your game plan a touch. Fifth step is just a mad dash to the finish line done in style like a mastermind assassin. 

Conclusion: I’ll be picking up the definitive edition. It’ll be nice to see those full maps & get through all the opportunities & challenges. Thanks for the recommendation! P.S. the game intro is a spectacular edit.

Also, section updated. That game 'twist' sounds like an interesting take on a platformer, I'll have to look up some gameplay to see how it's implemented. 

@REAPER4536

Sweet! 3 games down for the month. 

@Vermachtnis

Updated. 

@Psy-Tychist

When I try to open any of the spoilers I get sent back to the top of the page :hmm:

Strange problem, I’ll try again later to copy the list over.

@bodigard

Nice!

@wolverine123

No worries, sounds like you made the right choice. Best of luck with the fresh start!

• Like 4

On 18.8.2018 at 3:35 PM, REAPER4536 said:

And for the hattrick

Assassin's Creed III 100% - First Trophy November 2012 - Completed in 5 Years and 9 Months

Number four goes with 

Titan Souls 100% - First Trophy January 2017 - Completed in 1 Year and 6 Months 

• Like 1

Lc3b4f1.png

I did a lookthrough of my profile, and noticed Peggle 2, which made me remember I never actually finished the game (had one world out of six left to do). Since I actually enjoyed the game and only didn't finish it because I got distracted by other stuff, I decided to download it again and complete it sometime this week, which ended up being today.

Not much to say about it. It's a pachinko like game (so fans of Konami franchises might have a bit of an allergic reaction to this one), with pegs disappearing as you hit them, though it's got a bunch of side rules. It's got bright colours, happy music... Also it's published by EA so as a ruleI would now advise anyone against buying it, so EA doesn't get any more money.

Anywhoos, another one bites the dust. dust. @Gretchen27, +1 on my games count please (three extra away from being back at :platinum:), and below is my new line. I honestly thought I would only play through one old trophy game in August, what with The Crew 2 and the Switch, but I'm on a roll apparently.

August 2018: HITMAN (July 2017, main story completed + 1 DLC to 100%), Life Goes On: Done To Death (April 2017, story completed), Peggle 2 (all main levels completed)

Edited by Ash Williams
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

@REAPER4536 & @Ash Williams

Got you updated. Both of you have put quite a dent in the month. 

Combine that with how many Switch games I've finished this month, and my backlog should be getting pretty scared right about now. Which is good, seeing as I've pre-ordered five games for the next three months, none of which are short.

I've made a mistake in my new line, I see, not mentioning when I started Peggle 2. My bad, sorry, here's the new line:

August 2018: HITMAN (July 2017, main story completed + 1 DLC to 100%), Life Goes On: Done To Death (April 2017, story completed), Peggle 2 (December 2014, all main levels completed)

Crossed another game from my backlog (and deleted it for good):

It's Quiz Time

Bought it back in November 2017 as I thought that it would be an enjoyable quiz game. And then was true for the first few rounds. There are different game modes like normal multiple choice questions, a guessing game, describe it, or a game where you have to align answers in a given manner. BUT the game surely has it's flaws. Most of the questions are repetitive as hell (e.g. the various videogame-categories mostly boil down to "who developed this" or history-related categories are mostly "how old was the person when (s)he died/when did (s)he die?") and there's quite a bunch of translation errors. From this game I actually learnt that guinea pigs are able to fly and lay eggs. And surprisingly, a wildcat lays eggs, too. :o

And then there are stupid categories. Who would expect that a category called Sauber (which is actually a german word and means clean) would only refer to the motorsport team Sauber and there only Formula 1? :| 

Honestly I don't expect the devs to fix such things either as they abandoned the game for good. In January they added a new event category "Best of 2017" and said there would be more to come. Yeah, it's August and it's still the only category. ? After having some fun time with Knowledge is Power (although we really hate the fact that you can't skip the whole yadda-yadda...) over the last few months it's unlikely that we will ever play It's Quiz Time again.

Luckily the last remaining trophies were rather easier and could be self-boosted with a some Android-VMs.

Spoiler

Games played through during event
March 2017:
- Golden Axe (First trophy: 26th May 2013, goal: 100%),
- Driveclub Bikes (First trophy: 8th December 2015, Goal: Plat)
April 2017:
- Burnout Paradise (First trophy: 28th March 2013, Goal: 100%)
- Modnation Racers Roadtrip (First trophy: 11th May 2013, Goal: Plat)
- flOw (First trophy: 16th December 2013, Goal: 100%)
- Ratchet & Clank: Q-Force (First trophy: 16th April 2016, Goal: Plat)
May 2017:
- Bomberman Ultra (First trophy: 27th April 2013, Goal 100%)
June 2017:
- Dreamals (First trophy: 1st February 2016, Goal: 100%)
August 2017:
- Doki-Doki Universe (First trophy: 10th November 2016, Goal: 100%)

September 2017

- Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (First trophy: 1st March 2017, Goal: Plat)

January 2018

- Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (First trophy: 27th March 2017, Goal: Plat)

April 2018

- Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed (First trophy: 15th March 2015, Goal: 100%)

June 2018

- Rayman Legends (First trophy: 6th September 2013, Goal: Plat)

July 2018

- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 (First trophy: 28th January 2018, Goal: 100%)

August 2018

- It's Quiz Time (First trophy: 28th November 2017, Goal: Plat)

Game(s) working on right now
- Grid Autosport (First trophy: 27th August 2017, Goal: 100%)

- Need for Speed: Most Wanted (First trophy: 8th April 2013, Goal: 100%)

Games on agenda for event

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 1:19 AM, Ash Williams said:

Combine that with how many Switch games I've finished this month, and my backlog should be getting pretty scared right about now. Which is good, seeing as I've pre-ordered five games for the next three months, none of which are short.

I've made a mistake in my new line, I see, not mentioning when I started Peggle 2. My bad, sorry, here's the new line:

August 2018: HITMAN (July 2017, main story completed + 1 DLC to 100%), Life Goes On: Done To Death (April 2017, story completed), Peggle 2 (December 2014, all main levels completed)

Stocking up on fall releases then, I know there’s some big titles coming out soon. You mentioned HITMAN 2, what others are you planning on picking up? I’ve had my eye on the Spyro remaster as a possible pre-order but I’ve got plenty still to get through my un-played backlog.

Fixed.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:23 AM, Crimson Idol said:

Crossed another game from my backlog (and deleted it for good):

This line ?

Guinea pigs & wildcats can lay eggs…What? I want to Google this, & yet I’m afraid of the results...Sounds like there was some diverse categories to choose from. Hope you got to play it with friends & not just randoms as even a mediocre game can be fun with friends. But yeah, this far in the year I think you’re safe from new content/trophies getting added (crosses fingers just in case).

Updated.

1 hour ago, Gretchen27 said:

Stocking up on fall releases then, I know there’s some big titles coming out soon. You mentioned HITMAN 2, what others are you planning on picking up? I’ve had my eye on the Spyro remaster as a possible pre-order but I’ve got plenty still to get through my un-played backlog.

Games I've pre-ordered already:

Late September: Valkyria Chronicles 4, Collector's Edition

Early October: Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Medusa Edition (+ Kassandra statuette, Ubi is stupid for only putting Alexios in the CEs)

Mid October: Starlink Battle For Atlas (on Switch - yeah, Star Fox!)

Late October: Red Dead Redemption II (least priority for me, high chance of cancellation)

Early November: HITMAN 2, Collector's Edition

Also, haven't technically pre-ordered yet but I'll very likely get these games day one digitally (the above are all physical):

Early October: Super Mario Party

Early December: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Early 2019: Untitled Goose Game

And then there's Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu (mid October), which I'm conflicted about and might get day one or not at all, still not sure.

And then there's LIMBO and INSIDE, which have released on the Switch already but which I want on a sale since it'll be the second time I buy INSIDE and the third time I'll buy LIMBO.

And then there's Spider-Man (early September), which I won't get day one but probably will play before the year is over, possibly trading a platinumed Assassin's Creed Odyssey for it.

Yeah, I need to get cracking on my backlog.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, Gretchen27 said:

@REAPER4536 & @Ash Williamsl

On 8/27/2018 at 7:53 AM, Gretchen27 said:

@REAPER4536 & @Ash Williams

On 8/2/2018 at 0:35 AM, Gretchen27 said:

Monthly Summary:

@Crimson Idolo

@FreddySM14 Nooo...Did you at least look up a let's play or walkthrough of the DLC? It certainly was nice to play after the main game (*cough* that ending). Gameplay mechanics were completely different though. You really had to rely on Pigsy's gadgets & pick off enemies instead of just jumping into a fight. The story was very Pigsy-like as well 1f60f.png

& congrats on the AC marathon! 

No, not yet only watched the trailer. I'm still hoping it'll be added to the store (jeez, more like wishful thinking). Welp, the ending? Oh you intrigued my curiosity and makes me really want to play it (or watch it) ?

What about you, what you been playing? 

=========

Update ? 

All 100%

Atelier Sophie (6months, 2 weeks)

Little heads up if any of you want to try atelier series, never start from Sophie. Yes this game not strict about time management but I feel really lacking in tutorial. Mini map also useless since never highlight the active mission and I keep end up opening the menu to know where or what to do. The battle dull and pointless, the only exception are last 4 secret bosses. Beating Demon Lord with my best party,armor and weapons in despair difficulty was so satisfying ?

Kingdoms of Amalur (4years, 6 months) 

Only need to clean up the dlc, it's nice to go back to this hidden gem game on ps3 ?

That's all for August. Hope more game to complete next month. Have a great weekend all!

Edited by FreddySM14
Sorry I posted via mobile, so it's a mess
  • Like 1

Monthly Summary:

August

Games Completed by Participant:

BillyHorrible: 3 games

bodigard: 1 game

Crimson Idol: 1 game

FreddySM14: 2 games

kingofbattle8174: 1 game

Myu: 1 game

Psy-Tychist: 1 game

REAPER4536: 4 games

Vermachtnis: 1 game

Total: 15 games (+4)

Oldest Game Completed: Assassin’s Creed III [5 years, 9 months] REAPER4536

Rarest Platinum: It’s Quiz Time (1.59%) Crimson Idol

Rarest 100%: Journey (7.82%) Psy-Tychist

@Ash Williams
October is going to be a busy month for you then. That’s pretty cool you’re getting most in Collector’s Editions (shows you're really looking forward to them). 

I’m not sure yet how to feel about Let’s Go either. On the one hand I still play Go on a fairly regular basis so I don’t see the need for an expanded version of the mobile game. Speaking from what I’ve seen in the trailer, the simple catching mechanic seems like it’ll get old pretty quick. But I do like how they have the wild Pokémon roaming the world. & how they’ll incorporate it with GO will be interesting to see. Think I remember hearing a main series game will be next year for the Switch (that I wouldn’t want to skip out on).

I’m hoping the newest Spiderman game does well. I used to play the PS2 Spiderman many times over & this new one looks amazing (no pun intended). I suspect you'll get around to it before I do, you'll have to let me know if it's any good ?

@FreddySM14

For a game that’s been out 8 years, kind of a long shot. But, you never know :dunno:

I recently started SAO: Lost Song on the Vita. Really enjoying it so far. Not having seen the anime or played the first game I came into it blind but I haven’t had any trouble keeping up with the story & the gameplay is easy to get the hang of. I especially like just flying around the maps (took me way too long to realize I couldn’t clear a map of monsters since they keep respawning). Currently working through the main story with Kirito, Yuuki, & Philia as my main party. No idea if that’s a good/balanced group, but it’s what I’m sticking with.

Congrats on crossing off two more games!

• Like 2

On 02/09/2018 at 6:36 AM, Gretchen27 said:

@Ash Williams
October is going to be a busy month for you then. That’s pretty cool you’re getting most in Collector’s Editions (shows you're really looking forward to them). 

I’m not sure yet how to feel about Let’s Go either. On the one hand I still play Go on a fairly regular basis so I don’t see the need for an expanded version of the mobile game. Speaking from what I’ve seen in the trailer, the simple catching mechanic seems like it’ll get old pretty quick. But I do like how they have the wild Pokémon roaming the world. & how they’ll incorporate it with GO will be interesting to see. Think I remember hearing a main series game will be next year for the Switch (that I wouldn’t want to skip out on).

I’m hoping the newest Spiderman game does well. I used to play the PS2 Spiderman many times over & this new one looks amazing (no pun intended). I suspect you'll get around to it before I do, you'll have to let me know if it's any good 1f609.png

Nice recap!

Not to say I'm not looking forward to the games, but for me the difference between buying the regular game and the collector's edition is more about what kind of stuff the CE contains. I love statuettes and art books. For instance, all RDR2 CEs that actually contain the game focus on digital extra's, I don't care for those. Also, the game I'm probably looking forward to the most is Starlink, and that game doesn't have a collector's edition. Main game still has the Arwing fighter miniature from Star Fox though.

On Let's Go: the Pokémon devs are calling this a main game as well, so I guess we're going to have to split main games in 'regular' and 'Go-style'.

I might get Spider-Man sooner rather than later if the reviews are good. As said, it'll probably be an easy trade after I've gotten the platinum in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

As for the thread: played through a bunch of games on PS4 since my last update but nothing that I started more than six months ago.

• Like 1

Can I plan games? Say I have a game that isn't 6 months yet, can I plan to unlock the platinum on the 6 month anniversary of the first trophy and still have it count as my backlog? I am currently working on Yakuza 0, I have completed most things and am at 5 months 6days. If I can have this count for my backlog I will wait until the 6month time period and plat it then, and also make it my 125th platinum. Or I will just rush out the remaining bit now and get started on other games. 

@Ash Williams

I’ve never picked up a CE, but I’ve always wanted to. Guess I’m just wanting on that one perfect game with CE goodies. Either that or I’m just too afraid to fall down that rabbit hole & start a collecting obsession.

Let’s Go falls under the main series? Eh, I’m not really liking that, but I’ll wait to pass judgement after it comes out. I just feel it’s better suited to the spin-off department (could save the devs face if it doesn’t turn out so well).

@bodigard

Updated. Nice work knocking out a game so early!

@bruin-rocks

I’d say a tentative yes on that one.

Yes in the sense that you’re already saving the game for a milestone & may not have the time to complete any other “old” games for the month. So I don’t see an issue with combining your objectives.

Tentative because I wouldn’t encourage people to plan to complete a game at exactly 6 months. Now this is not directed at you (I know your backlog is huge), I just want to clarify for anyone who may have a smaller or diminishing backlog with a similar question on planning for this event. When it gets to the point that every monthly game is just meeting the requirements that’s the point I’d say this isn’t the backlog event for you. Since the whole point is to get back to those left behind titles.

But in your case don’t worry about it. I know you’ve always finished games past the requirement & that’s okay if this month’s game will just happen to be right over the requirement if that’s how it works out best for you.  

3 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

@Ash Williams

I’ve never picked up a CE, but I’ve always wanted to. Guess I’m just wanting on that one perfect game with CE goodies. Either that or I’m just too afraid to fall down that rabbit hole & start a collecting obsession.

I've had a lot of fun collector's editions, but to be fair I've sold on a fair few things too in the end.

Best one I got would probably be Skyrim. That art book is of amazing quality and quantity, very big and nicely done. It als had that cool Alduin statue. Best part is, I got the CE a year or so after the game released for €30 or €40 or something, since the game store franchise had leftover stock.

3 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

Let’s Go falls under the main series? Eh, I’m not really liking that, but I’ll wait to pass judgement after it comes out. I just feel it’s better suited to the spin-off department (could save the devs face if it doesn’t turn out so well).

Well, look at it this way: the game's a remake of Pokémon Yellow, which was a mainline game. It's just that some gameplay elements have been streamlined to lure in people who know Pokémon through GO.

On this event: I bought the Never Alone DLC in the current sale, and I played the main game in January 2015. So my goal for this month is getting my wife to make some time for gaming, and get the 100%. Shouldn't be too hard as the DLC should be short and there's only one missable trophy, and we didn't have any trouble with the main game collectables either.

• Like 1

Lef6c16.png

Le2203b.png

Well, here we are, as promised. My wife finally had a bit of time today, so we played the Never Alone DLC, Foxtales. It was very short (part of the reason I decided to buy it as my wife seldom has time and I wanted something we could finish in one sitting), but it was cheap too (€2 in the current sale). I recall being annoyed with  the main game because of one irritating part late in the game, but the DLC was pretty annoyance-free. I'd say unless you absolutely hated the main game (it was on PS+ somewhere after I bought it), you might as well cough up for the DLC.

@Gretchen27 here's my new line for the month. With Spider-Man, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and the games I was already playing, I seriously doubt you'll here more of me for this event. Probably wont have time for old games until mid-November, so anything I end up doing will be short, one-day stuff.

September 2018: Never Alone: Foxtales (DLC: main story + 100%, complete game: 100%)

P.S. might as well get rid of HITMAN in my currently playing games. I'll still do Rayman each day but I'm not booting up HITMAN any time soon.

Edited by Ash Williams
  • Like 1

@Spawn

Updated & congrats! You got the :platinum: rank back. No worries though, enjoy those new games you’ve got lined up. Even taking a few months off I’m sure you’ll return to your backlog eventually. If nothing else you’ll add to it for later.

Forgot to post an update for myself last month (didn’t cross anything off my list but still). I’ve been playing mostly “younger” games here & there. Haven’t really had that much time to spare lately gaming so progress has been slow. Seeing as this month is already half way over it’s doubtful I’ll strike anything off my list. But I can chip away to ensure a game gets finished for next month.

Next Up

Kingdom Hearts

-Ended up clearing the story (Normal mode) at the end of July. Currently bouncing back & forth between hunting down crafting materials & doing the gummy ship missions.

The Evil Within

- Shockingly, I have only two things left for this game (Speedrun & Akumu). Okay, so the hardest portions. But I’ve gotten this far already. I’m hoping to do the Speedrun by end of this month or beginning of next & then tackle Akumu difficulty. With some luck & a complete loss in sanity I can finish it in time for Halloween.

Added

Monster Hunter: World (February 2018)

- I would have been immensely impressed with myself if this game didn’t end up on the backlog. Suffice it to say it’s pretty obvious why there’s still a long way to go to crossing this one off the list though. I’ll have to keep an eye out for monster specific events for those remaining crowns.

27 minutes ago, Gretchen27 said:

@Spawn

Updated & congrats! You got the :platinum: rank back. No worries though, enjoy those new games you’ve got lined up. Even taking a few months off I’m sure you’ll return to your backlog eventually. If nothing else you’ll add to it for later.

Thanks for giving me a :platinum:, but I think your calculation is off by a little bit :)

I've joined in February 2017, making September 2018 month 20 for me, so right now I need to be at at least 20 counted items while I'm only at 17.

I'll get there eventually, though.

P.S. Spider-Man is very enjoyable.

• Like 1