“What the Hell Is That Still Doing There” Backlog Event Ver. 3.0

On 5/4/2018 at 10:57 AM, Gretchen27 said:

Scores:

As a motivational incentive, there will be ranking awarded to participants that continually remove games from their backlog.

:platinum: - If you have an average of at least one game per month since your (first) entry in the event.

20 months from joined, yes. Rank goes by first entry though so 17, making you on par. I tend to mark people on the higher side, so since September isn’t over yet you don’t need 18 yet.

Don’t fight the ranking! Unless my math is still off (that’s always a possibility) then just say put it back to gold ?

17 hours ago, Spawn said:

P.S. Spider-Man is very enjoyable.

Sounds like Spiderman’s a success then. That’s good to hear. I just got around this morning to picking up HITMAN & Spiderman was all anyone was talking about in the store. Poor attendant was holding down the front solo & you could just read on his face “Please, stop asking what games are like Spiderman. Simply put, it’s awesome. & honestly, I’d rather be at home playing it.” :D

Always nice to see games the majority are thrilled to be playing/talking about. As usual, I’ll be late joining that party. I’m leaving work now & hopefully all the HITMAN stuff will be finished downloading by the time I get home.

14 hours ago, Gretchen27 said:

As usual, I’ll be late joining that party. I’m leaving work now & hopefully all the HITMAN stuff will be finished downloading by the time I get home.

I feel the same. My copy was shipped on Monday but due to a work-related trip I couldn't pick it up before yesterday. Still want to finish at least one of my recently played games before starting it, though. But it's just too tempting hearign all the praise. ?

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

Everyone is here talking about Spider-man, I got it on release day, and actually just got the platinum the other day for platinum 125 "Be Greater" is the trophy title, I think it fits the mile stone well. I was indifferent towards it, it had some of the coolest fights in recent history, but also some really bads ones(personal opinion), I thought the atmosphere was awesome though, they nailed all the characters pretty well! I am hopefully going to hop into some backlog games now and get some finished so I can get some things complete here! 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Crimson Idol said:

I feel the same. My copy was shipped on Monday but due to a work-related trip I couldn't pick it up before yesterday. Still want to finish at least one of my recently played games before starting it, though. But it's just too tempting hearign all the praise. 1f630.png

Nice thing about PS4 games though is you can set stuff to download from your phone or computer. But I can't blame work, without it I wouldn't be able to buy any games ? It'd be nice though if games on disc were really just completely on the disc now (but that's an argument for another time). 

On the one hand I like to hear people praising new games, & at the same time I don’t. It’s easy to cave & buy a new game when you already have plenty to work through. But every now & then it’s nice to play something newly released. Hope you get to play your new game soon :D

On 9/15/2018 at 10:53 AM, bruin-rocks said:

Everyone is here talking about Spider-man, I got it on release day, and actually just got the platinum the other day for platinum 125 "Be Greater" is the trophy title, I think it fits the mile stone well. I was indifferent towards it, it had some of the coolest fights in recent history, but also some really bads ones(personal opinion), I thought the atmosphere was awesome though, they nailed all the characters pretty well! I am hopefully going to hop into some backlog games now and get some finished so I can get some things complete here! 

Indifferent as in the story wasn’t interesting/engaging or just a combat preference? Another great reason (besides my current unplayed backlog) from buying the game is that I’m guessing it doesn’t have much in the way of replay ability. I’m wondering if that makes it a good weekend game, but shallow in terms of jumping back into.

Watching a few fights from trailers & gameplay the combat reminds me of Rocksteady’s Batman games. Which I thought would make Spiderman’s fights pretty good, guess everything has highs & lows.

Either way I agree, that’s a good milestone title. Congrats on the plat & best of luck on working on backlog games :D

On 2018-09-17 at 9:09 PM, Gretchen27 said:

Indifferent as in the story wasn’t interesting/engaging or just a combat preference? Another great reason (besides my current unplayed backlog) from buying the game is that I’m guessing it doesn’t have much in the way of replay ability. I’m wondering if that makes it a good weekend game, but shallow in terms of jumping back into.

Watching a few fights from trailers & gameplay the combat reminds me of Rocksteady’s Batman games. Which I thought would make Spiderman’s fights pretty good, guess everything has highs & lows.

I Found both the story and combat to be unengaging, there was a lot of downtime throughout the story, and the whole middle just drags on, the combat was great at first with the aerial combos and the different gadgets, but it got to a point where every fight felt bery similar and they were over in a couple seconds. I don't want to give away anything too major, but there is a fight early in Act 3 that is personally in my top 10 favourite fights in video games! 

I went back to Okami HD a few days ago. I started that game 5 years ago and gave up after 10 hours of gametime due to motion sickness getting triggered pretty easily. I'm now following a walkthrough to avoid unnecessary movements and I stop every time I think nausea is gonna hit. So far I've managed to play up to 1 hour at a time but I'm making progress and I'm happy about it. I'm trying to do 2 pages every day. 12 pages done, 24 to go. The plat should pop right before the end of the month if I don't miss any trophies.

• Like 1

L16141a.png

... Boy, did I dislike this game!

People have been praising this back in the day as the indie GOTY but I really don't see it. I guess it's impressive it's mostly been made by one guy but so was Stardew Valley and that one's much more competent and entertaining.

Basically, this is a button mashing game - the game's original thought is having a support character attack and a main character attack combine for a devastating attack, which in the end means you're mashing both circle and triangle for 90% of the game. Really, that and walking is all you need to do at this point. People have said it's a lite MetroidVania but that's simply not true, the game consists of very linear levels with some secret side passages that you can get to with later upgrades. But if that's a MetroidVania, than Super Mario World is a MetroidVania as well. Add to that that the animation and voices and characterisation and writing are absurd to the point of becoming caricatures of themselves, and a final boss that's completely out of tune with the difficulty curve of the rest of the game, requiring you to either go to a lower difficulty or go back and grind for hoirs, and what you end up with is a to me very annoying game of which I can't see how it's gotten such great reviews. Did nobody play past the first stage or something?

I'm glad I have this done. I did some side trophies that I missed afterwards, and I've deleted the game now, I won't be going back to it soon, probably never will go back at all.

@Gretchen27 here's my new line: (also added Never Alone starting month as I forgot to do so in that post)

September 2018: Never Alone: Foxtales (January 2015, DLC: story + 100%, complete game: 100%), Dust: An Elysian Tail (October 2014, story)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 3:09 AM, Gretchen27 said:

On the one hand I like to hear people praising new games, & at the same time I don’t. It’s easy to cave & buy a new game when you already have plenty to work through. But every now & then it’s nice to play something newly released. Hope you get to play your new game soon :D

I can understand the conflict. Personally I try to find a good compromise between playing some backlog games and new games that just released. Sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. Personally I don't know when I will start playing Spider-Man. I will probably try to finish Guacamelee! 2 and iCEY before that and maybe also Ray Gigant. Not to forget that I still want/need to do some additional playthroughs in Detroit: Become Human but that I have to coordinate with my girlfriend as she wants to watch them, too. I guess one could say there are too many interesting and good games (+ Ray Gigant) right now. :D

8 hours ago, Spawn said:

final boss that's completely out of tune with the difficulty curve of the rest of the game, requiring you to either go to a lower difficulty or go back and grind for hoirs, and what you end up with is a to me very annoying game of which I can't see how it's gotten such great reviews

Played the game on Steam back in 2014 on normal difficulty and I thought it was pretty easy overall, with the only exception being two bosses in the middle which gave me a bit of trouble. The one was Fuse (that grey dude somewhere at the beginning) and the big ghost in the "graveyard". When I decided to replay it on PS4 back in 2015 I straight went for the tough difficulty and it didn't feel much more challenging than on normal. Personally it also feels you like are a exaggerating about the grinding as you don't have to play the same areas for hours. :dunno:  And I think it's kinda funny to read this post, considering you posted this a few weeks ago:

:P 

37 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Played the game on Steam back in 2014 on normal difficulty and I thought it was pretty easy overall, with the only exception being two bosses in the middle which gave me a bit of trouble. The one was Fuse (that grey dude somewhere at the beginning) and the big ghost in the "graveyard". When I decided to replay it on PS4 back in 2015 I straight went for the tough difficulty and it didn't feel much more challenging than on normal. Personally it also feels you like are a exaggerating about the grinding as you don't have to play the same areas for hours. :dunno: 

I'm not exaggerating about the grinding. I walked through the game, not doing many side quests or revisiting areas, and all bosses were doable, most without even going for food. Then comes the final boss, which goes far beyond the level I was at that point. He has a huge health bar, which you need to get through four times no less, and blocks much more attacks than any other boss. All other bosses I got done in a few minutes, five to ten if that, but the final boss took me all my food, my only resurrection gem, and a full hour of chipping at his health before I was finally done. Once I realised I had more to go after the second time I removed all his health, I refused to stop, grind, and try again, but if you do the game without stopping for all challenge areas and side quests then the final boss is ridiculously overpowered even though you'll never get the feeling you have to go back and grind for any other part of the game. That's fake difficulty and bad practice in my book.

And I think it's kinda funny to read this post, considering you posted this a few weeks ago:

:P 

Well... I hadn't played Dust beyond the first hour yet so I didn't know I would end up disappointed. But the point I made is still true: Dust looks much better than that ugly 8-bit trash that some devs publish. Even while I now dislike the animation for constantly having overthe top emotions (and for giving anthropomorphic animals human-like hair... I mean, I get putting a hat on a rabbit, but why is there a brown rabbit with curly red hair? It takes me beyond the suspension of disbelief), I still say that the look of Dust overall is much better than, say, Downfall. Imagine the game is the person whe drew and coloured Dust would work under the person who wrote and programmed Axiom Verge...

41 minutes ago, Spawn said:

I'm not exaggerating about the grinding. I walked through the game, not doing many side quests or revisiting areas, and all bosses were doable, most without even going for food. Then comes the final boss, which goes far beyond the level I was at that point. He has a huge health bar, which you need to get through four times no less, and blocks much more attacks than any other boss. All other bosses I got done in a few minutes, five to ten if that, but the final boss took me all my food, my only resurrection gem, and a full hour of chipping at his health before I was finally done. Once I realised I had more to go after the second time I removed all his health, I refused to stop, grind, and try again, but if you do the game without stopping for all challenge areas and side quests then the final boss is ridiculously overpowered even though you'll never get the feeling you have to go back and grind for any other part of the game. That's fake difficulty and bad practice in my book.

Reading that it makes sense that you had a completely different experience than myself as I'm the kind of person that tries to go for all sidequests  as soon as they open up, given the fact that I enjoy a game.Therefor I can understand your frustration and I agree that it's somehow cheap if a game requires a player to put some focus on optional sidequests if they want to succeed with the main story.

43 minutes ago, Spawn said:

Well... I hadn't played Dust beyond the first hour yet so I didn't know I would end up disappointed. But the point I made is still true: Dust looks much better than that ugly 8-bit trash that some devs publish. Even while I now dislike the animation for constantly having overthe top emotions (and for giving anthropomorphic animals human-like hair... I mean, I get putting a hat on a rabbit, but why is there a brown rabbit with curly red hair? It takes me beyond the suspension of disbelief), I still say that the look of Dust overall is much better than, say, Downfall. Imagine the game is the person whe drew and coloured Dust would work under the person who wrote and programmed Axiom Verge...

I didn't really like the characters' style but I also didn't dislike it. The only character I really disliked design-wise is Fidget. Don't know why but her design seems off to me. Maybe it's the fact that her thighs seem kinda big.

On 20/09/2018 at 0:23 PM, Crimson Idol said:

Reading that it makes sense that you had a completely different experience than myself as I'm the kind of person that tries to go for all sidequests  as soon as they open up, given the fact that I enjoy a game.Therefor I can understand your frustration and I agree that it's somehow cheap if a game requires a player to put some focus on optional sidequests if they want to succeed with the main story.

Funny thing though, if the game had let me know with all of the bosses that I wouldn't be able to go through without doing more side quests, I would have been less annoyed because I'd have at least been told. Now, it just being the last boss and this coming completely unexpected, I got very annoyed.

On 20/09/2018 at 0:23 PM, Crimson Idol said:

I didn't really like the characters' style but I also didn't dislike it. The only character I really disliked design-wise is Fidget. Don't know why but her design seems off to me. Maybe it's the fact that her thighs seem kinda big.

While I didn't absolutely hate the character designs, I do think that they're often not in the same league as the environmental design.  What annoyed me about the characters was the design in combination with the dialogue and how it was said. Don't know if this makes sense but Dust constantly talks like he's in emotional pain, like almost groaning his words, which I got very allergic to about halfway through.

Anyway, let's talk positively about games I actually liked! It's not on PlayStation consoles (I think) but I just finished the story of West Of Loathing, a hilarious game with stick figure graphics. I also got through games like The Witness and Death Squared on PS4, both of which I loved (both are puzzle games) and which I couldn't count here because I got to the end within six months.

It's time for me to finally cross a game off my backlog again.

I finished Sword Art Online: Lost Song with a time of 1 year, 10 months, 6 days.

It was a bit grindy at the end but still fun to play. I still have every other SAO game to play but I think I will take a break from SAO for now.

Here's the line to copy/past for you

September 2018: Sword Art Online: Lost Song (First Trophy: 19.06.2016)

• Like 1

Been a while since I was here, but I have completed some things that were a little old.

Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episode 1 - The Penal Zone (5 years and 2 months) - Completed 26/08/18

HiQ Ace (6 months and 2 weeks) - Completed 28/08/18

Orc Slayer (1 year and 7 months) - Completed 17/09/18

Thankful that I will not have to play Orc Slayer ever again. more so than I think with any game I have played.

• Like 2

Three days left and still 50% of Okami HD that I haven't managed to get yet. I'm already 40 hours and the PSNP guide's estimation is around 60h. I'll probably have enough time to complete the story but the plat highly depends on my luck at the fishing mini game and at how hard the Kai race, the third Devil Gate and the Kusa 5 are going to be.

• Like 1

Won't be able to finish a game this month but made some small progress.

Grid Autosport:

I'm now online level 234 (from required level 250) so I'm nearing the end. Might have to spend a few evenings doing some boosting to get a bit more XP as the weekly challenges tend to be kinda crappy the last few weeks.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Thanks to a boosting session I got the license plates which required interaction with more than one other player. Now all that's left to do is to unlock one specific license plate for each of the 3 remaining DLCs which requires you to unlock all mods for the DLC's cars. Stupidly there's a requirement to drive 320km/200mi with each car to unlock one specific mod (which varies from car to car) which means I have to spend about 20 to 25 hours to unlock all mods for the 15 cars as it's not that easy to keep a high speed for all of them and some are quite slow. :|

So overall it resorts to doing some "pointless" grind in both games. Still I have fun doing most of the weekly challenges in Grid unless there are stupid circuits like Okutama...

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'd personally like to get involved in this backlog challenge.

I've been working on my games throughout the month of September and would like to post my results.

At first I thought 1 game off the backlog a month would be great I actually managed to do more then I thought.

I'll list and summarise a bit of my thoughts on each game.

• Call Of Duty WW2 (3rd November 2017) - Technically on the backlog due to the 4th DLC pack being released. Really enjoyed this final DLC as I have a good team of zombie players that are really effective just wish it took us a little more than a week to complete thanks to many live streams on youtube :)
  • Battlefield 4 - (13th January 2018) Now I am glad to get this one out of the way as well. I had one trophy remaining on this game, which was basically popped by needing 20 suppression assists, which are the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, imagine running around firing at people intentionally trying not to hit them, and waiting for a teammate to clean up, yeah no thanks.
  • Unchartered Lost Legacy (14th September 2017) - Got myself in a bind with this one, attempting to complete the game immediately on crushing. Theres one section with RPGs that is ridiculous without a few tweaks enabled when completing the game on a lower difficulty. Was a bit of a clean up but I feel it was a nice addition to the UC series although, I wish theyd bring out another.
  • Rocket League (29th April 2017)- Hardly counts just a bit of extra DLC released and cleaned up. Good for a bit of fun, but I couldn't play it regularly as most of my mates do.
  • Unchartered 4 (13th June 2016)- Decided with a friend to go for the Survival Crushing trophies and man aren't they completely unrealistic! Levelled up our guns legitimately and was still a ways of the pace. Shout out to Ruler2009 and his son Ayaan for running us through this, these guys are highly professional and extremely efficient. Love the story mode on this one though although cleanup was pretty painful!

Other games completed in the month not technically in my 6 month backlog

• Duke Nukem 3D
  • Stikbold - A Terrible Swedish Dodgeball Experience ;) (5 Months)
  • Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron - Recommend
  • NBA 2019 the Prelude
  • Energy Invasion

Games to potentially target in October 

• Final Fantasy XV
  • Tricky Towers
  • Nova 111
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Call Of Duty Ghosts
  • Watch Dogs

Thanks for reading everyone best of luck killing your backlog!

Edited by AUSTRALIANDJ
Forgot to add a game.
  • Like 1

Ok, I was a bit distracted and not really on the forum... I'll try to do better in the future lol...

But I did finish some games the last month. 

• Sword art online: Fatal bullet, this is a bit of a question... since the website says it's 5 months and 4 weeks. so it's really close...
  • Sword art online: Lost song, platinum after 2 years and 10 months.
  • Akiba's Trip: Undead and undressed, platinum after 1 year and 9 months. 

• Like 1

Hadn't much time for Backlock but I got good progress on Battlefield Hardline and Battleborn, which both dont fit the requiermens for progress on the event.

But I should have good lead in terms of finished games. But for October:

Super Exploding Zoo! - First Trophy June 2015 - Completed in 3 Years and 3 Months

Edited by REAPER4536
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vin_rob said:

Sword art online: Fatal bullet, this is a bit of a question... since the website says it's 5 months and 4 weeks. so it's really close...

You finished it three days too early to make it count. The 5 months and 4 weeks wouldn't be a problem as I had a similar case:

but seeing the trophy list you got the first trophy on March 4th and finished on September 1st. So it's basically that the mimium finishing date has to be the same day of the month six months onwards and the time has to be later, too.

• Like 1

After more than 5 years, I have finally finished Okami HD (and I'm one day too late for this event v.v)

I don't know why but I can't upload pics right now so here you go

October 2018: Okami HD [5 years, 5 months]

• Like 3

Another month has come gone, & we are nearing the end of the year already. So let’s see how we did:

Monthly Summary:

September

Games Completed by Participant:

AUSTRALIANDJ: 5 games

BillyHorrible: 2 games 

bodigard: 1 game 

MarkusT1992: 1 game

Psy-Tychist: 1 game

vin_rob: 2 games

Total: 12 games (-3)

Oldest Game Completed: Never Alone [3 years, 7 months] BillyHorrible

Rarest Platinum: Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed (10.94%) vin_rob

Rarest 100%: Never Alone (7.00%) BillyHorrible

@Ekenier

Of course, added to your game list.

@AUSTRALIANDJ

Hello & Welcome!

Good luck with your games for October :D

@vin_rob

A similar situation came up not too long ago & as @Crimson Idol explained the 6 month minimum duration goes by the calendar dates, instead of the PSNP average duration. But that’s still two games completed for the month!

@REAPER4536

Nice! Keep chipping away at Battlefield & Battleborn.

@MarkusT1992

Added to the boosting section.

@Myu

No worries. At least you’re early for October ?

As for my own monthly update: I did finish Final Fantasy X HD, but will be saving the platinum for the Vita anniversary. So I’ve got a game lined up for February already. Congrats to everyone who crossed a game off this month. 

• Like 3