I think the game got a bit overhyped

Vladicarus-

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Let this be a lesson to you not to "believe the hype" in future, especially when people make it out to be the messiah of video games. It has flaws and things that could have been done better like all video games and that will never change. No game is perfect.

indeed, honestly i was always skeptical of god of war, i remember dark souls 2 and MGS5 got the same kinda flashing reviews

I completely agree with you. It's refreshing to see you have the same gripes with the game as I do! Most places I look, this game as being labelled as the greatest achievement in gaming history, and anyone who says otherwise, is being unfairly given flak for merely voicing their own opinion, which is always sad to see.

I completely agree on the story, some parts were really good, great in fact. But for me at least, the story was not something that kept my interest throughout. The combat I actually thought got better as the game went on, but never reached the enjoyment levels for me that the old God of War games did, the slower pace and less flashy combos being a big reason for that. And yes that camera...I wasn't the biggest fan during certain fights with multiple enemies let's say!

I know some people love the game and it's taken the crown as their best game of all time, but for me personally, as soon as I completed the story I took the disc out and was done, I have no intention or desire to go back to it, which is a shame, but hey different strokes for different folks I guess! :)

• Like 4

I agree with the combat but the story is best part of the game along with all the trivia and random talks they do. But I guess that's kinda personal thing. With me it hits home. Sometimes literally.

So far the best PS4 game I've played and one of the best in general. People compare it to The Last of Us as if it's some kind of an insult and while I agree they could have done it more originally it's still amazing game and much better than TLOU.

• Like 1

For me its also the best ps 4 game, second spot nioh third dark souls 3. The action rpg elements made Gow 2018 so great. Story , grafics, combat its a perfect game in my eyes xd. I love the series as well so Kratos solos ur fav X D

Sometimes I think the people who review these big games have no variety in what they play. It seems they only play the big AAA releases and base their critics only on that, hence why they are always so "wowed" when a good AAA game comes out.

The same goes for people who give instant 10s and favorite game of all time to whatever new big thing is hot.

I haven't played it yet (dunno if I ever will, honestly) but from what I can gather here it is nothing more than any other good game.

• Like 2

God of War is very great game, that is one of my favourite Sony series. And yes, I found that same issues by myself: dull story, repetitive combat though I really enjoyed game (BUT IT's first time ever I played on most easy option cause I think balance is just stupid, it gets very boring to just hide behind shield and wait space to hit and repeat 50 times).

But I think you can't put less than 9/10 only for one reason: nowadays many empty, soulless games get too high scores, far cry 5, hello. So I can say that for my personal quality it's 8/10 but c'mon with same method of valuing I can't put higher score to any other game except maybe The Last of Us. I mean we get so small amount of good AAA single-player only titles nowadays so its in our interests to put them a little bit higher score.

I think that company who work not for platform-owner publisher and still makes single-player only AAA game is like a heroes cause that's obviously put them into danger of not earning enough revenue (piracy, renting services, used discs)

• Like 1

Yes, Marketing, the funny thing about our world of profits and market share

Just about every game gets over hyped, they've been making video games for so many years now and they have to maximize there profits

Plus god of war has been out since PS2 so they already have a big following.

Every single game we play is still the same thing over and over, so the reviewers have been doing the same thing over and over.

At the end of the day it's just there job

aa33acd4e4ce8fff8337cb7adef4c750.jpg

Once GOW goes on sail ill pick it up :D

The game looks great saw a buddy playing it and there's no titan difficulty trophy, so that makes the plat fun instead of button mashing torture.

Edited by Galactic Nordic Nuts
  • Like 2

Most games get overhyped, this is why I'd much rather listen to the Colin Moriarty and Jim Sterling's of the world because they aren't afraid to point out the flaws in a game.

I saw gameplay of GoW and it just looked like Horizon or AC in another package. Most people just seem to rave about the axe throwing.

Edited by g-bake_1986

I love to read some valid criticism, since everybody praises the game without pointing mistakes or something like that out. I mean HZD was praised so high that you could't read about any problems of the game for such a long time. Nobody wanted to admit that the game was far from perfect for some. So thanks for your thoughts on GoW and nobody should rip you apart, since you didn't blindly hated on it. More power to assessing games from many sides.

• Like 4

Lol people comparing god of war to the last of us, okay if you wanna go there... take away the story from god of war and youre left with amazing gameplay... take away the story from the last of us and youre left with what? Exactly. The last of us is a great game as a whole, dont get me wrong, but you take some of it away, the rest crumbles.

the same cant be said about god of war, because what you have imo, is a good mix of zelda, metroid and darksiders gameplay-wise even if it didnt have a story but it does and the story is top notch if you ask me. Sure its not without faults nor is the gameplay but god of war (2018) is about as close to a perfect game youll get these days.

personally one of my favorite games of all time now.

Edited by UlvenFenrir
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vladicarus- said:

2 - The combat..gets kinda dull after a while.

Just out of curiosity, what game has combat that doesn't get boring then?

I don't think there's a single action game with more moves, combos, abilities. There's hundreds of different combos strings you could theoretically pull off with every enemy needing their own strategies and everything is "very hard" viable. I don't think there's another game who's combo system has even remotely that depth.

I could see it getting boring if you find a few things that work for you and never experiment, but that's your fault, not the games lol.

I do have some issues with the story, not to mention the massive changes they made to Norse myth, but the gameplay is f***ing phenomenal.

Honestly, I think every games overhyped. In a world where Last of Us can come out with horrible gameplay and get hyped to the moon, my belief in hype has died many years ago. If you don't like it, that's fine, but make up your own mind, don't listen to other people. No ones opinion should matter but your own.

Edited by KingGuy420

I'm not a fan of the word "overhyped" to be honest. Sure, there are people who say that they think it's the best game ever made, but at the end of the day they're just like you: They have an opinion. While there are many people who are in love with this game, there are also people who don't like it as much as others do. God of War may appear overhyped for you, while in reality it is just a game that is liked by many players. 

I haven't played it yet, although I'm planning to do so soon. I'll probably like it, but there's always a chance I won't. 

• Like 3

GoW for me was a solid 5.5/10. The story was terrible and the relationship with his son was also terrible, the ending felt like a ploy to get more games out of the franchise. The combat was cool but the pacing felt off and honestly I felt like the game dragged on. The boss fights weren't really memorable nor tough. I definitely think this game was way over hyped.

6 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Lol people comparing god of war to the last of us, okay if you wanna go there... take away the story from god of war and youre left with amazing gameplay... take away the story from the last of us and youre left with what? Exactly. The last of us is a great game as a whole, dont get me wrong, but you take some of it away, the rest crumbles.

the same cant be said about god of war, because what you have imo, is a good mix of zelda, metroid and darksiders gameplay-wise even if it didnt have a story but it does and the story is top notch if you ask me. Sure its not without faults nor is the gameplay but god of war (2018) is about as close to a perfect game youll get these days.

personally one of my favorite games of all time now.

In my opinion you can't compare TLOU to GoW, I feel like TLOU was a complete game where GoW was just more of the same terrible story but decent combat.

• Like 1

Overall I enjoyed the game but I agree with many of your points.  For me I didn't like the pacing of the game.  The action sequences and set pieces were great but it seemed like I was constantly getting bogged down by long, boring, and repetitive puzzles.  I know this is personal preference; many enjoyed the puzzles.  For me it broke up the momentum from the story and the immersion I felt while in the game.  

• Like 1

Damn, I was really looking forward to this game, but I've learned my lesson in the past and have started waiting a few months before picking up new releases.  At least, I've saved some money over the past 2 years.

3 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

Damn, I was really looking forward to this game, but I've learned my lesson in the past and have started waiting a few months before picking up new releases.  At least, I've saved some money over the past 2 years.

Don't let me or anyone else's opinion dictate when you get it. That was just my opinion and from what I have heard from people who know me, I am very critical. Lol

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kdogg_gamer_ said:

Don't let me or anyone else's opinion dictate when you get it. That was just my opinion and from what I have heard from people who know me, I am very critical. Lol

No, appreciate the honesty on a game.  Sometimes you really can't say anything because you might get flamed on the site.

• Like 1