I think the game got a bit overhyped

Vladicarus-

All games sometimes get gameplay repetitive, even TW3, TLOU, etc etc

Personal opinion is one thing, what game deserves is other... For example, for me, the saga Final Fantasy means nothing, i dont even can play. So, for me is 1/10, but if ask me to classify the game, i would give 9/10 or even 10/10. I know is one of the best franchises of all time, just not for me. 

In this case, for some people, is the same. You can even dont like the game, but the game is one of the best ever made ?? for sure!

• Like 3

It is really funny, I dont like a game means the game is overhyped?That doesnt work.

There is not a single racing sim I really enjoyed ( Forza, GT, etc.) because my motivation is always gone after 1-2 hours. I am still waiting for a great illegal streetracing game :D

I love Bloodborne and Nioh and hate Dark Souls 1/2/3.

IMO games like Overwatch, battlefield and co are garbage.

I love the Zelda franchise but BotW wasnt for me, I love Ocarina of time and dislike Majoras Mask

For me...

DarkSouls 4/10

Any racing sim 6/10 or worse

Overwatch 3/10

Do I think these games are overhyped? No they are just not my taste , sometimes I dont even know why. ( Nioh/Bloodborne vs DarkSouls)

This overhyped bs is just annoying.

Edited by GoDBoss173
  • Like 2

I haven't played this game, and I will not play it (maybe free with PS Plus years later) because I never liked this series, maybe this game is a masterpiece and I'm making a serious mistake by skipping it, but I'm happy for Sony. PS first parties are not always amazing. Naughty Dog games, Quantic Dream games, well, some others that are loved by everyone but criticized out of the community. The total opposite to Nintendo games, doesn't matter which one, they are praised by everyone, perfect scores in reviews even if the games are objetively trash, everything. So I guess it's time for Sony to have some glory.

I could criticize Sony for many things, but when we talk about exclusives, PlayStation is the best. First and Third parties (like SEGA with the Yakuza series)

Edited by Katt

3 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Lol people comparing god of war to the last of us, okay if you wanna go there... take away the story from god of war and youre left with amazing gameplay... take away the story from the last of us and youre left with what? Exactly. The last of us is a great game as a whole, dont get me wrong, but you take some of it away, the rest crumbles.

the same cant be said about god of war, because what you have imo, is a good mix of zelda, metroid and darksiders gameplay-wise even if it didnt have a story but it does and the story is top notch if you ask me. Sure its not without faults nor is the gameplay but god of war (2018) is about as close to a perfect game youll get these days.

personally one of my favorite games of all time now.

Nah, you see, Darksiders combat is actually fun because you have more tools at your disposal and it's nowhere near as clunky. The exploration in Darksiders isn't a chore either like it is in God of War. The puzzles were also better in Darksiders, as was the traversal. Darksiders 1 is phenomenal and is leagues above GoW2018 in just about every regard, except for maybe graphics and technical achievement, imo. I mean even Darksiders II, which was a huge step down, still has more enjoyable combat, exploration, puzzles, and traversal than GoW does. I really should get back to Darksiders II.

I was bitterly disappointed by this game. The story completely disregards over a decade of lore building for some cheap "wow" moments and deus ex machina. Kratos should've died many times in this game, but for some reason now he's The Hulk and can do anything.

This is why I never take any of those asshat critics seriously anymore. 

Those who automatically give a game 10 out of 10 and calling it the “best game ever” as far as genre goes and whatnot? 

Hogwash. 

It’s a trend I’ve noticed since The Last of Us was met with a slew of perfect ratings from just about every recognized review critic out there. 

I enjoyed Uncharted 4 but did not find it to be the masterpiece so many people claimed. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy was too self centered and annoyed for me to really take in her character all that well. 

God of War? It’s definitely a step down from God of War III which threw you right into the epic fights, starting with Kratos gouging Poseidon’s eyes out then killing him by breaking his neck. The blood and gore was phenomenal in III, so far I haven’t seen that here. It’s mostly Kratos and his son working their way to the mountain to bury some ashes. 

These days I find myself being more attached to indie games that some joker critic said was bad, that I end up enjoying a lot. 

That and the PlayStation 3, because I happen to love and enjoy older games.

17 minutes ago, Spaz said:

This is why I never take any of those asshat critics seriously anymore. 

Those who automatically give a game 10 out of 10 and calling it the “best game ever” as far as genre goes and whatnot? 

Hogwash. 

It’s a trend I’ve noticed since The Last of Us was met with a slew of perfect ratings from just about every recognized review critic out there. 

I enjoyed Uncharted 4 but did not find it to be the masterpiece so many people claimed. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn. Aloy was too self centered and annoyed for me to really take in her character all that well. 

God of War? It’s definitely a step down from God of War III which threw you right into the epic fights, starting with Kratos gouging Poseidon’s eyes out then killing him by breaking his neck. The blood and gore was phenomenal in III, so far I haven’t seen that here. It’s mostly Kratos and his son working their way to the mountain to bury some ashes. 

These days I find myself being more attached to indie games that some joker critic said was bad, that I end up enjoying a lot. 

That and the PlayStation 3, because I happen to love and enjoy older games.

Uncharted 4 wasn't a masterpiece and I am a Naughty Dog fan. But it was a great sendoff/tying up ends of the series. I still think it got robbed of GOTY but thats for another day. HZD was more of the same for me and the ending again ruined that for me.

Some people don't grasp that "overhyping" doesn't mean that the majority likes the game but that almost everyone is shouting the game is a 10 out of 10 by default turning blind eyes on some obvious flaws. I haven't played a lot but after the first fight with the "Stranger" the game drops the ball hard for me so I lack motivation playing it further. I can imagine it will get better eventually but the fact that got boring right there is already a sign the game is far away from a 10 out 10 the critics are giving it left and right.

11 minutes ago, DonGurke93 said:

Some people don't grasp that "overhyping" doesn't mean that the majority likes the game but that almost everyone is shouting the game is a 10 out of 10 by default turning blind eyes on some obvious flaws. I haven't played a lot but after the first fight with the "Stranger" the game drops the ball hard for me so I lack motivation playing it further. I can imagine it will get better eventually but the fact that got boring right there is already a sign the game is far away from a 10 out 10 the critics are giving it left and right.

I'm inclined to think that some of these critics never played any of the past God of War games so therefore a new AAA game that looks good and is well presented is going to be met with a lot of perfect scores and "overhyping" it to be a grandeur adventure, which this game is anything but.

So I will say again that I quit taking the professional critics seriously. It's their job yes, and they probably get paid well to give a new AAA game a good review just so people go out and buy it. I'm not saying these reviews were bought in any way shape or form, but all those 10 out of 10 scores really do leave you to question just what exactly were they thinking when they made the reviews.

I’m curious how many of you immerse yourselves in the marketing and hype. It seems like so many who would cry over-hyped went out on their own to drown themselves in all the marketing. Trailers (advertisements), reviews (advertisements), leaks (advertisements) and all the Twitch/YouTube streams (more advertisements!).

I saw one ad occasionally on some CW shows I watch and that was it. I didn’t seek out the hype, so i defintely didn’t get exposed to any of it.

Maybe people should filter themselves a little more from all the incoming hype so they don’t over-hype it themselves. Then they can form their own opinions not based on all the expectations. 

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

I'm inclined to think that some of these critics never played any of the past God of War games so therefore a new AAA game that looks good and is well presented is going to be met with a lot of perfect scores and "overhyping" it to be a grandeur adventure, which this game is anything but.

Shouldn’t the critics rate it on its own? Each year for your annual work review, should your boss pull out all your work from when you first started until that point and continually judge your previous 12 months of work with all the previous years work? Hope you’ve never had a bad year or you’re fucked for the rest of your career. 

Too many critics that I’ve seen or read rely on comparing works to other things instead of judging the works on its own. I don’t think those people are generally capable of doing so, and I usually don’t check out any of their other reviews.

A good critic reviews the work by itself and explains its flaws and greatness not by comparing it to something else, but by saying why it’s a flaw to that work or why it’s great for that work.

• Like 2

Everyone is entitles to their opinion, and I have yet to get God of War, but I am curious - do you consider reviews to be part of what you would call ‘hype’?

To me, ‘hype’ has always meant the build up of anticipation for a game based only on leaks/marketing, prior to actual reviews based on playing the final game.

In that sense, I felt like God of War was, if anything, under-hyped, as none of the pre-review anticipation seemed to indicate the near-universal acclaim that the reviews gave it.

Maybe I missed something, but it certainly felt like a lot of people, including myself, were caught quite off guard by the slew of perfect scores.

In that sense it reminded me of the most recent DOOM - it was only once the final reviews were in that the acclaim started, and no one was quite prepared for how good the game was - as opposed to, say, something like We Happy Few, or No Man’s Sky where the buzz generated by preview info was so disproportionately over-the-top (and based only on what people interpreted the games to be, based on loose talk and clever marketing) that the mediocre reviews came as a big let down to a lot of people once they saw what the game actually was like.

the dark areas could get too dark. Story may lack in some areas but it's game 1 of a new trilogy. 

I didn't have an issue with the camera. 

I do like it more than The Last of Us. but I give this a 9. Valkyries including the queen are repetitive. same with the trolls. they could have had more variety.

it's one of the better looking ps4 games however. is it my favorite? no. 

I found myself slightly dragging myself through it because the combat isn't really that great and I find the combat unbelievably repetitive and not the most fun (I haven't gotten the blades yet, maybe it picks up after that). But then I lowered the difficulty all the way to the easiest setting and I find combat a lot more fun, quick, and kinetic like it probably should be.

Pulling myself through a combat situation every couple minutes was really getting to me. Now with the difficulty lowered I'm actually enjoying it more :P 

There are some games that are better on higher difficulties, this one I don't think is one of those games :dunno:

Edit: Got the blades of chaos, this fixes EVERYTHING about the combat system =D

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I’m curious how many of you immerse yourselves in the marketing and hype. It seems like so many who would cry over-hyped went out on their own to drown themselves in all the marketing. Trailers (advertisements), reviews (advertisements), leaks (advertisements) and all the Twitch/YouTube streams (more advertisements!).

I saw one ad occasionally on some CW shows I watch and that was it. I didn’t seek out the hype, so i defintely didn’t get exposed to any of it.

Maybe people should filter themselves a little more from all the incoming hype so they don’t over-hype it themselves. Then they can form their own opinions not based on all the expectations.

A good critic reviews the work by itself and explains its flaws and greatness not by comparing it to something else, but by saying why it’s a flaw to that work or why it’s great for that work.

Personally, other than when they showed off a gameplay demo of the intro [E3? PSX? I don't remember] I stopped following the game. Actually, I was kind of iffy on how the game would turn out the entire time. I was interested, but cautiously so. And was [if you saw my other comment] more than pleasantly surprised. I think I only started seeing the commercials for it after I already beat the game, since I record tv and don't watch live.

As a side note, I noticed some people who didn't like the pacing... and I personally loved the pacing. So much media just goes big for the sake of it, and this game wasn't afraid to take it slow. That doesn't mean nothing happens at all, but it had a nice pacing to it. And that's why I personally enjoyed it so much, because most games follow the traditional story arc. This one was kind of all over the place in terms of big battles and when dramatic reveals would happen. There's never a point where I was like, "this is clearly the end." Which for a game in a [presumably] planned series is a great thing to me. Left me satisfied, but wanting more at the same time if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

I found myself slightly dragging myself through it because the combat isn't really that great and I find it unbelievably repetitive and not very fun (I haven't gotten the blades yet, maybe it picks up after that). But then I lowered the difficulty all the way to the easiest setting and I find combat a lot more fun, quick, and kinetic like it probably should be.

Pulling myself through a combat situation every couple minuted was really getting to me. Now with the difficulty lowered I'm actually enjoying it more :P 

There are some games that are better on higher difficulties, this one I don't think is one of those games :dunno:

I played on the easiest difficulty the whole time and had fun with it. I didn't want to be annoyed by it. I definitely agree that sometimes a game is better if it's easier. Some people seem to only want to play this one on the highest and if you play on the easier difficulties you're "ruining it" or something. Look at PowerPyx's mist farming video and you'll see people saying that stuff in the comments. And that's fine for them, but each game is different and each person's experience is different on top of that. If I had to struggle through each battle, I would've probably stopped playing the game within 2-3 hours. So I'm glad they let us earn the plat without playing higher difficulties [though I probably would've just not gotten the platinum at that point and played on easy anyway].

• Like 3

The game gets button mashy after you get a certain weapon towards the end. I thought the axe gameplay was one of the strongest aspects. But I'm just nitpicking here, it was a solid experience. 

Edited by Xel

8 hours ago, PlayAsGod said:

But I think you can't put less than 9/10 only for one reason: nowadays many empty, soulless games get too high scores, far cry 5, hello. So I can say that for my personal quality it's 8/10 but c'mon with same method of valuing I can't put higher score to any other game except maybe The Last of Us. I mean we get so small amount of good AAA single-player only titles nowadays so its in our interests to put them a little bit higher score.

Strongly agree. Currently A Way Out is sitting at 74/100 on Metacritic, and Far Cry 5 is 81/100. We can argue about what a perfect score is supposed to look like, but if those are the standards we're supposed to apply, God of War deserves like a 250/100!

• Like 1

It's become one of my top games but it has some elements that keep it at maybe an 8 for me. As a lot of people have mentioned on reddit/youtube the enemies tend to be rather samey. Even the Bridge Keeper in Hel was a disappointment- after I defeated it I was half-expecting the real thing to come out. And post-game there are hardly any enemies unless you go to Muspelheim (which is great for me when I'm just backtracking to areas to find collectibles but I can understand general gamers getting fed up with that).

I think it's awesome otherwise though, really it's just small gripes, like wishing Mimir would retell his stories so that we don't have to sit in silence. Also would've been cool to maybe have another minor God in the game to fight, just to extend the story for a bit, since I never wanted it to end. :P 

Also, damn people are really over-analysing OP using the word 'overhyped', lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Shouldn’t the critics rate it on its own? Each year for your annual work review, should your boss pull out all your work from when you first started until that point and continually judge your previous 12 months of work with all the previous years work? Hope you’ve never had a bad year or you’re fucked for the rest of your career. 

Too many critics that I’ve seen or read rely on comparing works to other things instead of judging the works on its own. I don’t think those people are generally capable of doing so, and I usually don’t check out any of their other reviews.

The series is 13 years old. That’s a long time for a video game series. Most series don’t have that kind of longevity. 

God of War is part of a generation of games that puts out great story telling. The gameplay at times is something to be desired. 

God of War 3 is probably my favorite of the series because of it’s blood and gore, something I feel takes a step back with God of War 2018. 

If a critic out there reviews this game exclusively on its merits and strengths alone and only those without comparing to anything else, then that’s great. More power to them. 

But it’s difficult to ignore a series that has spanned over a decade, going back to the PlayStation 2. I can’t think of any other PlayStation franchise that has lasted that long, at least one that is geared towards adults. It’s not surprising to see most critics compare this game to past games in the series. 

I don’t think it deserves a 10 out of 10. Maybe you think otherwise but I play primarily to enjoy the gameplay, to have fun. The graphics are stunning, the story is solid, arguably excellent. But I just don’t think it does all that great in anything else.

Edited by Spaz

Hype is the most bizarre thing to me.  Don't get me wrong... I read reviews, I get excited when a game I'm interested in does well (and disappointed when they don't)... but once I put the disc in the system that's where the "hype" ends.  Games deserve to be approached with an open mind, and judged on their own merits.

Protip: Don't base your opinions on the opinions of others.  If YOU don't like a game, explain why YOU didn't like it... not why you disagree with others.  What people don't understand is saying a game is overhyped, is to imply that the "hyped" opinions or high ratings are wrong.  Yet the people implicitly claiming other people are wrong because they didn't like or were underwhelmed by a game, are typically the first to get defensive and throw a hissy fit and claim "you can't be honest without getting flamed"... when people turn it back around on them.  Sorry but that's pretty fucked up.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4