I think the game got a bit overhyped

Vladicarus-

51 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I don’t think it deserves a 10 out of 10. Maybe you think otherwise but I play primarily to enjoy the gameplay, to have fun. The graphics are stunning, the story is solid, arguably excellent. But I just don’t think it does all that great in anything else.

I don’t think it deserves a 10 out of 10 because assigning arbitrary numbers to represent what a person thinks about something is stupid. Comparing one games arbitrary numbers to another’s arbitrary numbers is mind-numbingly pointless.

I haven’t played this one yet, I still haven’t gotten through any of the others, either. I’m pretty sure I have all the PSP and PS2 games still in shrink wrap. Eventually, I’ll get around to all of them, but even then I’ll like them or I won’t. I won’t assign them some number.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I don’t think it deserves a 10 out of 10 because assigning arbitrary numbers to represent what a person thinks about something is stupid. Comparing one games arbitrary numbers to another’s arbitrary numbers is mind-numbingly pointless.

I haven’t played this one yet, I still haven’t gotten through any of the others, either. I’m pretty sure I have all the PSP and PS2 games still in shrink wrap. Eventually, I’ll get around to all of them, but even then I’ll like them or I won’t. I won’t assign them some number.

It's not an arbitrary number. Reviewers create a metric scale and then attempt to explain their opinion of the game along with whatever metric they use as a measurement. That is how communication works. "10/10". "5 stars", etc are no more arbitrary than the words "apple" or "firetruck". 

I have yet to see a reviewer merely compare scores of games. Some sites might catalog the scores but that's mostly mechanical. When reviewers compare games such as when they do GOTY nominations or Top lists the games may all have a high score but they are not sorted by score in a purely descending fashion.

Some gamers are lazy and use scores as shortcuts. I am not one of them and am not trying to defend that practice. 

Edited by TJ_Solo

2 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Hype is the most bizarre thing to me.  Don't get me wrong... I read reviews, I get excited when a game I'm interested in does well (and disappointed when they don't)... but once I put the disc in the system that's where the "hype" ends.  Games deserve to be approached with an open mind, and judged on their own merits.

Protip: Don't base your opinions on the opinions of others.  If YOU don't like a game, explain why YOU didn't like it... not why you disagree with others.  What people don't understand is saying a game is overhyped, is to imply that the "hyped" opinions or high ratings are wrong.  Yet the people implicitly claiming other people are wrong because they didn't like or were underwhelmed by a game, are typically the first to get defensive and throw a hissy fit and claim "you can't be honest without getting flamed"... when people turn it back around on them.  Sorry but that's pretty fucked up.

That’s the internet. People are free to judge however they like about something. 

1 hour ago, TJ_Solo said:

It's not an arbitrary number. Reviewers create a metric scale and then attempt to explain their opinion of the game along with whatever metric they use as a measurement. That is how communication works. "10/10". "5 stars", etc are no more arbitrary than the words "apple" or "firetruck". 

I have yet to see a reviewer merely compare scores of games. Some sites might catalog the scores but that's mostly mechanical. When reviewers compare games such as when they do GOTY nominations or Top lists the games may all have a high score but they are not sorted by score in a purely descending fashion.

Some gamers are lazy and use scores as shortcuts. I am not one of them and am not trying to defend that practice. 

Scores are arbitrarily determined, which is why when people read a review and the see the score think it’s too high or low based on the wording of the review. Because the number means different things to every individual person. An apple is an apple. A fire truck is a fire truck. A “7” to me is a good game, to others it’s not worth playing. It’s pointless. 

Ask any reviewer how each point they made in the review affected their score. They won’t have an answer, because they didnt think about it. They wrote a review then tossed the number they FEEL represents the words they said. There is no equation to determine each individual value and weigh them for a final score, because that’s ridiculous. 

Its arbitrary. You can like them all you want, but they are just pulled from the sky. 

• Like 1

I'm yet to play it, and I'm not one to follow the hype, but what about the music, voice-acting, graphics, cinematographic elements, replay value (if there's any)?; are you considering these to contribute your 7-8 score?

I don't trust/believe reviews or scores, but as much as I feel like this game won't be a 10 I'm sure it will definitely not go below 8something. 

What I'm trying to say is that even if you do follow the hype a lot of people just ignore a whole bunch of things that games offer. Of course the story and gameplay are extremely important but they're not everything. 

Maybe I'm also overlooking too deeply..., but a lot of friends rant about games being "crap" or whatever and I swear to you they suck at enjoying a lot of features in the games. 

I agree completely.  I think the game is very good if not great but from the reviews I was expecting this groundbreaking piece of work that was the absolute definite best of this generation console.  that set the bar a bit too high.  After playing horizon Zero Dawn and Origins and many other great ps4 titles I can only say it fits the bar but doesn't set it like many reviewers claimed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Lol people comparing god of war to the last of us, okay if you wanna go there... take away the story from god of war and youre left with amazing gameplay... take away the story from the last of us and youre left with what? Exactly. The last of us is a great game as a whole, dont get me wrong, but you take some of it away, the rest crumbles.

the same cant be said about god of war, because what you have imo, is a good mix of zelda, metroid and darksiders gameplay-wise even if it didnt have a story but it does and the story is top notch if you ask me. Sure its not without faults nor is the gameplay but god of war (2018) is about as close to a perfect game youll get these days.

personally one of my favorite games of all time now.

i don't think i really mentioned the last of us at all though..i personally haven't played tlou so..

14 hours ago, GoDBoss173 said:

It is really funny, I dont like a game means the game is overhyped?That doesnt work.

There is not a single racing sim I really enjoyed ( Forza, GT, etc.) because my motivation is always gone after 1-2 hours. I am still waiting for a great illegal streetracing game :D

I love Bloodborne and Nioh and hate Dark Souls 1/2/3.

IMO games like Overwatch, battlefield and co are garbage.

I love the Zelda franchise but BotW wasnt for me, I love Ocarina of time and dislike Majoras Mask

For me...

DarkSouls 4/10

Any racing sim 6/10 or worse

Overwatch 3/10

Do I think these games are overhyped? No they are just not my taste , sometimes I dont even know why. ( Nioh/Bloodborne vs DarkSouls)

This overhyped bs is just annoying.

tho i didn't say i diusliked the game. "overhyped" was really the only term i could think of, because it's basically become a game that if you comment anything bad about you're basically slated as the guy who went "Reee it's not like the old games reee!"

• Like 1

hype is a funny thing...this thread reminds me of trying to book a hotel online and going through the reviews hoping to find out if a place is actually decent or not...in the end, it all just comes down to personal experience, doesn't it?...at least we don't have to worry about bed bugs............or do we?...haha...

• Like 2

Sadly i haven't played God of War yet, so i can't really share my opinion on it, but i had a similar experience with The Witcher 3. My friends kept bugging me to play it, because "it's the perfect RPG" and they said that i'll surely think it's 10/10 after playing it.

While i really enjoyed playing it, it was just a solid 8/10 game for me and one of my friends got a little mad when i told him that.

People just have different standards and expectations, so there never will be a game which is 10/10 for everyone.

For me the only 10/10 game so far is SW:KOTOR and i know that a lot of people won't agree on that, but that won't make the game any less enjoyable for me.

This is what i told my friend too and also "instead of arguing how good the game is, let's just agree that it's simply a good game".

I think this is true for God of War too.

20 hours ago, Vladicarus- said:

Now don't get me wrong, i have played God of war, and am currently in the midst of fighting the extra-bosses. and honestly? i greatly enjoyed the game..but i wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 like most reviewers/people are doing,. this game to me is a 7 or an 8. 

I think that's part of the problem, the actual scores given by critical reviewers of a 10 lead people to believe the game is perfect. Of course that is not the case, as no game is perfect. That's why reviewers like ACG just say "must buy/own" (or whatever he says) is more realistic.

Having said that, I feel this game is legendary. For me, when the ambition of game is extremely high and the game exceeds that ambition with artistic style and mechanics, it's a 10/10 for me. This game could've been a complete disaster with chances they took and that's worth commending. In an industry flood with bland, open world sandbox games, loot-box filled multiplayer games, unfinished games pieced in with DLC and updates, this has been a truly refreshing experience.

Edited by rotoninja
  • Like 1

I can see what you're saying, and I can't say that I disagree even.

1- The story was a whole lot of unblocking your path, and there wasn't much to it really until towards the end with a few reveals. So I can agree there.

2- I actually think the combat was great. At first I was struggling with it, as in a lot of other action games you can float the camera, more definitive lock on systems, etc. but once I got used to the flow of combat, I rather enjoyed it, and I kept it fresh by constantly switching weapons, using rune attacks, etc.

3- This is one point I can agree on. It's definitely a little bit close for my liking. Obviously, I adjusted as I did with the combat, but even playing through the post game, it still lingers on my mind (unlike the combat, which grew on me).

I'd call it one of my fav PS4 games, but it's a few down the list. The top of my list would be Bloodborne, Persona 5 and Phantom Pain (despite how all that ended), followed by a bunch of the Sony first party games and some other third parties.

Edited by LukaLaurent

10 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Scores are arbitrarily determined, which is why when people read a review and the see the score think it’s too high or low based on the wording of the review. Because the number means different things to every individual person. An apple is an apple. A fire truck is a fire truck. A “7” to me is a good game, to others it’s not worth playing. It’s pointless. 

Ask any reviewer how each point they made in the review affected their score. They won’t have an answer, because they didnt think about it. They wrote a review then tossed the number they FEEL represents the words they said. There is no equation to determine each individual value and weigh them for a final score, because that’s ridiculous. 

Its arbitrary. You can like them all you want, but they are just pulled from the sky. 

Again, the scores are established metrics for any reviewer that uses them. Reviewers(nor you) are perfect. The wording of a review might not match the numerical value given to you or with out a review explained it. Both could be human error or something might be rigged with the score. That is not the case of every review despite your overgeneraliztion..

Why would I need to ask any reviewer? Their REVIEW is what should, and does, support their given score. You're the one that needs to prattle on about some theoretical dislike(it isn't even your post I commented on) for rating scales. There's no equation because scores and reviews are opinions, not objective measurements or calculations. Most review sites explain what their scale(What review site claims that a 7 is worthless?) means to them and then the reviewers use their words to explain their opinions. The "opinion" bit it what many get tripped up on. And "apple" means nothing to anyone that hasn't learned that work. Words are tools to communicate our ideas. If you want to refuse to understand what a "7" means you won't be able to have a conversation within anyone that doesn't agree with you. There will be nothing but bickering until you agree on what words mean. 

You're incorrect in your assessment that ratings are arbitrary but theirs no fixing bad opinions over the internet. You clearly are confused over the difference between journalist and user reviews because most of what you say doesn't match up with how journalists do their reviews.

Edited by TJ_Solo

I'm playing the game on Give Me God Of War, and it's been a face smashing, rage quitting, finger breaking good time. The story is excellent, the content is amazing. The level designs, the collectables, the metroid-vania aspects, all superb. Last year I would say that Persona 5 was the best game I played, the year before Metal Gear 5. This year so far without question God of War is hands down the best game I've touched. I went into it not being too hyped, and I am nearing the end and am very impressed with the experience. The only hopes I have to top this game this year is Detroit.

Just a masterclass in game development.

So yes, I disagree with the OP.

• Like 1

I loved this game, although i'd give it a 9. Only thing is the story was boring. The goal was to scatter some ashes of some women that we as the players know nothing about. Not very interesting compared to the revenge story of previous games. I was also annoyed we dindnt find out how he survived and ended up in Norse mythology.

I see a lot of people comparing to dark souls but in my opinion it is more similar to the Witcher which is great because that is one of my favorites.

12 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

I loved this game, although i'd give it a 9. Only thing is the story was boring. The goal was to scatter some ashes of some women that we as the players know nothing about. Not very interesting compared to the revenge story of previous games. 

To each his own, I guess, but I loved that mysteric vibe around the mother. We, the players, knew just as little as Kratos and Atreus. We were there to witness everything she did, why she did it and what kind of secrets she had. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 3:38 PM, madbuk said:

Nah, you see, Darksiders combat is actually fun because you have more tools at your disposal and it's nowhere near as clunky. The exploration in Darksiders isn't a chore either like it is in God of War. The puzzles were also better in Darksiders, as was the traversal. Darksiders 1 is phenomenal and is leagues above GoW2018 in just about every regard, except for maybe graphics and technical achievement, imo. I mean even Darksiders II, which was a huge step down, still has more enjoyable combat, exploration, puzzles, and traversal than GoW does. I really should get back to Darksiders II.

I was bitterly disappointed by this game. The story completely disregards over a decade of lore building for some cheap "wow" moments and deus ex machina. Kratos should've died many times in this game, but for some reason now he's The Hulk and can do anything.

You were disappointed by the one of the best games this year? What Lore does this game disregard? They constantly bring up His past but it’s not like they’re “disregarding it” It’s moving on and building an even bigger story and world. Why should Kratos have died in this game when this is a new beginning for the series? This is gonna result in a trilogy probably and I’m excited for it. Also if you were “bitterly disappointed” by this game why do you have the platinum image on your profile pic? 

17 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

I loved this game, although i'd give it a 9. Only thing is the story was boring. The goal was to scatter some ashes of some women that we as the players know nothing about. Not very interesting compared to the revenge story of previous games. I was also annoyed we dindnt find out how he survived and ended up in Norse mythology.

I see a lot of people comparing to dark souls but in my opinion it is more similar to the Witcher which is great because that is one of my favorites.

Dark Souls doesn’t compare. God of War 2018 is it’s own thing. Also they left how he ended up in the Norse world a mystery for a reason. The story of this game is far more interesting than always wanting vengeance and being an angry asshole all the time, they fleshed Kratos Out Far more than previous games and actully made him likeable.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:36 AM, rotoninja said:

I think that's part of the problem, the actual scores given by critical reviewers of a 10 lead people to believe the game is perfect. Of course that is not the case, as no game is perfect. That's why reviewers like ACG just say "must buy/own" (or whatever he says) is more realistic.

Having said that, I feel this game is legendary. For me, when the ambition of game is extremely high and the game exceeds that ambition with artistic style and mechanics, it's a 10/10 for me. This game could've been a complete disaster with chances they took and that's worth commending. In an industry flood with bland, open world sandbox games, loot-box filled multiplayer games, unfinished games pieced in with DLC and updates, this has been a truly refreshing experience.

Journalists have said repeatedly that a 10 means it’s a masterpiece, not that it’s perfect. That’s on dumb people if they think that means it’s perfect. God of War 2018 is definitely a masterpiece. I know you liked the game but people need to understand a 10 rating in reviews don’t mean it’s perfect.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 3:42 PM, Vladicarus- said:

Now don't get me wrong, i have played God of war, and am currently in the midst of fighting the extra-bosses. and honestly? i greatly enjoyed the game..but i wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 like most reviewers/people are doing,. this game to me is a 7 or an 8. but i honestly find some things that i found people praising to not be that good. along with some other gripes i had

1 - I honestly didn't find the story amazing, entertaining? Yes. but outside of a few small bits, there wasn't much to it.
2 - The combat..gets kinda dull after a while.
3 - The camera maybe needed to be zoomed out a bit more, for me it tended to get caught up on a few things now and then. I don't mind the camera change from the old to new games, but it being just a liittle back would be better.

Thats all i can really think of for now. Just remember i very much enjoyed the game, just think it's overhyed to hell. So feel free to rip me up if you wanna. though if you have anything else that you may not like about the new title, i'd like to hear it ^W^

I never really played the previous games so don't have a basis of comparison, but I 100% agree with you on point 3, the camera really got on my nerves at some points. Especially in some of the tougher fights. Other than that, this is my current GOTY 2018. It might change though as there is plenty coming out over the next few months.