I think the game got a bit overhyped

Vladicarus-

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

You were disappointed by the one of the best games this year? What Lore does this game disregard? They constantly bring up His past but it’s not like they’re “disregarding it” It’s moving on and building an even bigger story and world. Why should Kratos have died in this game when this is a new beginning for the series? This is gonna result in a trilogy probably and I’m excited for it. Also if you were “bitterly disappointed” by this game why do you have the platinum image on your profile pic? 

Dark Souls doesn’t compare. God of War 2018 is it’s own thing. Also they left how he ended up in the Norse world a mystery for a reason. The story of this game is far more interesting than always wanting vengeance and being an angry asshole all the time, they fleshed Kratos Out Far more than previous games and actully made him likeable.

Journalists have said repeatedly that a 10 means it’s a masterpiece, not that it’s perfect. That’s on dumb people if they think that means it’s perfect. God of War 2018 is definitely a masterpiece. I know you liked the game but people need to understand a 10 rating in reviews don’t mean it’s perfect.

Spoiler

First of all, Kratos isn't a god. So there's no way he should've had the strength to pick up that massive rock during the Baldur fight, and Baldur should've been able to kill him as a result.

Secondly, it doesn't explain how Kratos lived after stabbing himself at the end of God of War III. Nor does it explain how Kratos got from Greece to where he is now, nor does it explain how it's possible to have different mythologies all existing in the same world. How can the world be created twice?

Thirdly, it doesn't explain how Kratos recovered the Blades of Chaos. He lost those at the end of God of War 1, supposedly to never be seen again. And why should he even want them again? They were a symbol of his enslavement. Why not just keep the Blades of Exile?

Fourthly, Kratos tells his son he is a god, but that is a blatant lie. And the game never addresses the fact that it's a lie, so either that's a massive retcon, which would be disrespectful to the franchise, or they're witholding information for sequels without any indication. For now it just seems like a disrespectful retcon to Kratos' story.

Fifthly, It didn't show us any of the aftermath from God of War III. The world was flooded and in ruins, how did Kratos releasing hope to the world undo all that chaos? How are people still alive? We go from the ending of God of War III, which has Kratos dead and the world in ruins, to this, and there's no explanation as to how any of it is even happening.

• Like 1

to be honest i finished GoW in 2 days and dont bother for the trophies >.> When i look at the game itself i see many game mechanics and game design from older games like Dark Siders 2 ( came out 6 years ago )  , it was a good game but i will not say it is game of the decade like some fanboys claim it to be 

19 minutes ago, madbuk said:
  Hide contents

First of all, Kratos isn't a god. So there's no way he should've had the strength to pick up that massive rock during the Baldur fight, and Baldur should've been able to kill him as a result.

Secondly, it doesn't explain how Kratos lived after stabbing himself at the end of God of War III. Nor does it explain how Kratos got from Greece to where he is now, nor does it explain how it's possible to have different mythologies all existing in the same world. How can the world be created twice?

Thirdly, it doesn't explain how Kratos recovered the Blades of Chaos. He lost those at the end of God of War 1, supposedly to never be seen again. And why should he even want them again? They were a symbol of his enslavement. Why not just keep the Blades of Exile?

Fourthly, Kratos tells his son he is a god, but that is a blatant lie. And the game never addresses the fact that it's a lie, so either that's a massive retcon, which would be disrespectful to the franchise, or they're witholding information for sequels without any indication. For now it just seems like a disrespectful retcon to Kratos' story.

Fifthly, It didn't show us any of the aftermath from God of War III. The world was flooded and in ruins, how did Kratos releasing hope to the world undo all that chaos? How are people still alive? We go from the ending of God of War III, which has Kratos dead and the world in ruins, to this, and there's no explanation as to how any of it is even happening.

Sorry mate, but Kratos is a god. Half god, half mortal, but with divine blood anyway. He's son of Zeus, like the bloody Hercules. And that's the reason of why he could lift massive structures (not only in this game) or healing himself. That explains two of your five points at least. 

About the Blades, i've no argue with that. 

And about the different worlds and mythologies, I understand only partially your point. In this game,

Spoiler

Mimir explains that are several worlds and lands, every one of them with his own gods. In fact, Tyr traveled among worlds constantly with his magic stone

. The destruction of the Greek world doesn't mean that the entire world was destroyed. But i admit that i would like a better explanation about how all worlds coexist, especially thinking of future games with new mythologies to explore.

25 minutes ago, matigrosso91 said:

Sorry mate, but Kratos is a god. Half god, half mortal, but with divine blood anyway. He's son of Zeus, like the bloody Hercules. And that's the reason of why he could lift massive structures (not only in this game) or healing himself. That explains two of your five points at least. 

About the Blades, i've no argue with that. 

And about the different worlds and mythologies, I understand only partially your point. In this game,

Hide contents

Mimir explains that are several worlds and lands, every one of them with his own gods. In fact, Tyr traveled among worlds constantly with his magic stone

. The destruction of the Greek world doesn't mean that the entire world was destroyed. But i admit that i would like a better explanation about how all worlds coexist, especially thinking of future games with new mythologies to explore.

Spoiler

But if Tyr needed the Unity Stone to travel between worlds, why didn't Kratos need it to get to Norse land? And Kratos being a demigod doesn't explain the second point - Kratos stabbed himself, he willingly committed suicide. We see that the Sword of Olympus can in fact kill a god, as shown by the fact that it killed Zeus (who was a real god). So why didn't it kill Kratos, who was merely half-god?

11 minutes ago, madbuk said:
  Hide contents

But if Tyr needed the Unity Stone to travel between worlds, why didn't Kratos need it to get to Norse land? And Kratos being a demigod doesn't explain the second point - Kratos stabbed himself, he willingly committed suicide. We see that the Sword of Olympus can in fact kill a god, as shown by the fact that it killed Zeus (who was a real god). So why didn't it kill Kratos, who was merely half-god?

Spoiler

I don't know why Kratos didn't need it. Maybe there is a way to phisically travel between worlds whitout the Stone, meanwhile the Stone allow to teletransporting. I mean, we didn't know how many years took for Kratos to travel to Norse land. That's why i would like to known better how the different worlds coexist with each other.

About the second point, i can't explain it either. But i think Kratos is a real god. I mean, yeah, he has borned like a demigod; but maybe that's enough to reach the status of god. He doesn't denied his mortal lineage either (and he mentioned it to Atreus in the end, that he is part Giant, part God and part Mortal). Sure, that doesn't explain how the actual f*ck he could survive to stabbing himself, but he escape from the Underworld several times. And the Hades was destroyed, even with the Elysian Fields presumibly too; maybe he actually died but returns because there is no place to go and migrated to find some peace?

Damn, now i need more answers than before lol

5 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Also they left how he ended up in the Norse world a mystery for a reason. The story of this game is far more interesting than always wanting vengeance and being an angry asshole all the time, they fleshed Kratos Out Far more than previous games and actully made him likeable.

Yeah the reason was to annoy people that wanted to know :P. To me Kratos being an angry asshole was the appeal of the first games so to me he was less likable in this installment. I get he is trying to control his rage so he can be a better role model for Atreus but still. 

3 hours ago, madbuk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

We dont actually know if kratos wanted to kill himself. The reason he stabbed himself was to release the power so Athena couldn't have it. Yes, that doesn't explain how he survived, but hes already died like 3 times already anyway so perhaps he found a reason to live/climb out of hell again.

13 hours ago, madbuk said:
  Hide contents

What are you talking about? Kratos is literally a God, thats your explanation, it’s not like he lost his Godhood at the end of 3.

9 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

Yeah the reason was to annoy people that wanted to know :P. To me Kratos being an angry asshole was the appeal of the first games so to me he was less likable in this installment. I get he is trying to control his rage so he can be a better role model for Atreus but still. 

Reveal hidden contents

We dont actually know if kratos wanted to kill himself. The reason he stabbed himself was to release the power so Athena couldn't have it. Yes, that doesn't explain how he survived, but hes already died like 3 times already anyway so perhaps he found a reason to live/climb out of hell again.

Kratos is far more likable in this game, it’s just a fact.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

4 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

What are you talking about? Kratos is literally a God, thats your explanation, it’s not like he lost his Godhood at the end of 3.

Spoiler

No, Kratos became a god at the end of God of War 1, but then at the start of God of War II, Zeus drains all his godly powers and gives him what is essentially a demotion from the pantheon of gods. He's just a regular demigod now, and has been ever since GoW2.

I felt that it was overhyped on initial hours. But progressively it got really good. The story is simply the best aspect IMO. The combat is really upto you. You can make it as varied as it can get or turn it to a button mash. Can't really find fault in it. The camera also you are given option to tweak as u want it.  Apart from this the what they have done with the graphics is amazing. If you didn't get excited seeing the world serpent then nothing else will excite you. Ditto for sound. It was almost perfect in both these depts. The explorations, puzzles etc were all handled well. That said I can't help but draw comparison to darksiders. The fast travel and combat to some extent resembles darksiders. The difficulty options are also lifted straight from Deus ex. 

7 minutes ago, supkris said:

I felt that it was overhyped on initial hours. But progressively it got really good. The story is simply the best aspect IMO. The combat is really upto you. You can make it as varied as it can get or turn it to a button mash. Can't really find fault in it. The camera also you are given option to tweak as u want it.  Apart from this the what they have done with the graphics is amazing. If you didn't get excited seeing the world serpent then nothing else will excite you. Ditto for sound. It was almost perfect in both these depts. The explorations, puzzles etc were all handled well. That said I can't help but draw comparison to darksiders. The fast travel and combat to some extent resembles darksiders. The difficulty options are also lifted straight from Deus ex. 

And next up, Bloodborne. Seriously. And no, it's not that difficult by any means.

3 hours ago, madbuk said:
  Hide contents

No, Kratos became a god at the end of God of War 1, but then at the start of God of War II, Zeus drains all his godly powers and gives him what is essentially a demotion from the pantheon of gods. He's just a regular demigod now, and has been ever since GoW2.

Demigods are still Gods.

I've never played a God of War game, so I passed this one up. I may try it later down the road, though, when I find it on sale.

I would be lying if I said that I've never fallen for the hype in the past and couldn't look at the flaws of a new game.

My most recent example of this would be Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch. I poured 115-120 hours into the game, enjoying the aesthetics of Hyrule, exploring the different shrines, and doing most of the quests in the game. While playing it, I couldn't think of any major flaws and was a high-contender for Game of the Year for me.

After finishing the game, I took some time to reflect on the game and look at it a little more critically. While I still think the game was great and I was happy to pour in all the time that I did, I can say that there are some things that I didn't like: The shrines themselves were a little too repetitive in concept, the world did feel a little too empty at times, and I felt that the main Divine Beast dungeons themselves were very under-developed and the boss fights within them were a complete joke.

Do I still think the game is great and would I recommend it to those who like The Legend of Zelda? Of course I would. I still think the game was great, but I feel that it fell flat in a few areas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Well obviously not a fact considering there are people who think otherwise....... What you meant to say was "its just your opinion"

6 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Demigods are still Gods.

Half God, Half mortal 

• Like 1

I see some people mentioned TLOU here and only real similarity was perhaps adult and kid travelling together thing. In that matter GoW did worse but TLOU is in my opinion best character writing in a video game ever, honestly my only 10/10 besides Fallout 2 and Baldur's Gate 2.

However, back to the subject. I already made that mistake of basing too much on opinions and reviews before actually playing the game with Horizon. It wasn't a bad game but nothing near spectacularity everybody talked about.

I'm diehard fan of all previous GoW games and it's the only reason I still keep my PS3 around but it was obvious, that 2018 GoW was going to be something else. Speaking of story, I think it was pretty good introduction to that new reality Kratos got in. Santa Monica is yet to release (at least?) 2 more sequels so I hope for some mindblowing plot twists and even more for retrospections (from time between GoW 3 and new one). Combat was great, I loved axe right away and used it even after I got my hands on blades. Must agree on camera issue however. It feels way to close, sometimes, during encounters with multiple enemies it was tough to keep them all under control. 

Story boss fights were nothing special, I think dragon is the only one I had fun with. Valkyries were pretty repetitive. Nontheless combat was very entertaining due to many combos and crapload of different runic attacks. 

Long story short I suppose I got what I expected. What I really wish for however, is "new-old" God of War but that will probably never happen. 

Solid 8,5 from me, all in all it lived up to franchise legacy. 

this thread got me triggered cuh', love this game to death and think its the perfect video game

if this game is a "7 or 8" to u, ur 9 or 10 better be shrek 2 on the gameboy or u just have bad taste

Edited by shananiganyo

I suspect that a lot of the extraordinarily glowing reviews were probably, in a lot of ways, the result of Sony doing a big reviewer event in Norway (or whichever Scandinavian country it was) a few weeks before launch. Odds are, if you're a reviewer and you get flown out to a big press event, wined and dined, entertained, and given a pile of swag you're going to have a more positive impression regardless of how "impartial" you are, and unless the game is an utter piece of shit you are likely going to overstate how great it is as a result. The massive number of 10/10 reviews for a game that, while very good, probably isn't really in 10/10 territory suggests that this was the case. Of course, if you're Sony and your new game gets a massive pile of 10/10 or 9/10 reviews as a result of entertaining the press then it's mission accomplished for the promotion team, right?

Now don't get me wrong, I thought God of War was a very good game. I enjoyed it a lot, thought the story was good, liked the combat, liked the interaction between Kratos and his son, etc. It doesn't do anything mind-boggling that's never been seen before, it just does what lots of other games have done, a little bit of this and a little bit of that combined together to make a good game that's fun to play, and as a gamer that's fine with me.

That said, I don't think it really matters if it's a 10/9/8 out of 10 game because it's definitely in there somewhere. I don't think it's a 10/10 game, but it's definitely in that general area and for most people that's probably good enough.

I haven't beaten it yet but so far the game is a 10/10 and I'm not the easiest person to impress. Reviews didn't matter because I'm a huge fan of the series and was gonna play it anyway. 10/10 does NOT mean "Perfect" and I never expect a game to be perfect, but this has wowed me in every way I had hoped and more. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, dissenting or otherwise, but the rave reviews and sales record- for a game with NO cut content for DLC, no microtransactions, no tacked-on multiplayer and not just an open world where there's lots to do but no consequence for any of it- is wonderful. It's clear that a lot of passion went into this, and it was made with the gamer in mind, not just corporate. Sure you can be swayed by hype but so too can you be swayed by cynicism. Nothing is ever gonna please everybody. But the game is a success that has made millions of people very happy, myself included.

Edited by MeteorHawk
  • Like 3