What determines if a DLC is owned?

1 hour ago, Se7en said:

This is just wishful thinking from a trophy hunter perspective. In reality Sony has clearly made their mind about DLC trophies by calculating their rarity based on total number of game players. That also perfectly coincides with another Sony’s decision to include and treat DLC trophies as part of 100% game completion. It is kinda amazing that there seems to be unconditional acceptance of the latter as is, but with regard to the former people tend to speculate how Sony should have done that differently than they did.

Of course you can speculate, I don't think anyone knew that trophies and trophy hunting would become what it has. A lot of games on release on the PS3 never had trophies to begin with, no-one really cared that much about them to start with, it was an after thought, now it's mandatory for games to have them. It would be nice if the PS5 and the trophy system evolved but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I also have no illusions about Sony implementing any such features with DLC content, I only stated that would be the one way of knowing for sure your actual player base for DLC content.

I think that's an unfair comment about refusing or not wanting to pay for DLC content. Sometimes games release content long after their initial release when you may have sold it, Ultra Street Fighter 4 comes to mind, Little Big Planet 2 required you to buy a Vita to attain trophies, Super stardust HD requires a VR headset. Not really fair to expect people to shell out for these items when the original base game didn't require them.