Calamity difficulty is insane

So i thought i would play this on hardest setting. Thinking it would make getting a plat. On this game - 2 playthrus instead of maybe 3 or so. 

But holy hell. - on the 3rd elder greed lv 6-7. With may be 650-900 hp between all 3 current characters.  Getting 1 shot xD

Out side of learning there tail tail signs of attack and getting good - whats a good way to go about these fights.

Also is there a way to see how much exp im getting from battles.. Re ran moonlit dungeon 4 times to get 1/4th exp bar x.x

For being on calamity. Seems like exp yeld is quite minor

• 2 weeks later...

Played my first playthrough on Hard, currently running Calamity and Infinity for my 2nd. So much easier then starting out on calamity

NG+ will always be the best way to deal with it, since then you can come in higher leveled with all your equipment, and boom. You go from doing almost nothing and being one shot to taking most out in two hits :D

I'll say again in case though, Infinity is NOT an actual difficultly, you CAN play Infinity and Calamity at the same time, so only 2 playthroughs needed for platinum

• 1 month later...

On calamity, for me before getting all the proper elemental counters. Imho ya it is

Ive not played for a few months

Fell into my back log

Trying to clear up physical invintory so less to pack when i move.

Even when on par. With dungeon level. Or even 2-4 lvs above it.  Re running for levels.  

I tend to get 1~3 shot.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:19 AM, sealightbreeze said:

Really enjoying this game. Is it really that hard ? 

It's not nearly as bad if you do Calamity in your second play through. You'll have all your gear and such already making most things easy. A few stages (particularly some of the intermission ones) and the After Story boss can still be a pain though. :P  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Was going to do Calamity and Infinity today and honestly the game just felt cheap, if it was a more polished game then I'd like the challenge but the clunkyness of the game and the clearly padded enemies that hit like a truck just makes for no fun gaming sessions. Ill just do each mode separately, will take longer but I rather it do that than give me a headache and I end up losing interest

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 10:56 PM, MyNameIs_Rainman said:

Was going to do Calamity and Infinity today and honestly the game just felt cheap, if it was a more polished game then I'd like the challenge but the clunkyness of the game and the clearly padded enemies that hit like a truck just makes for no fun gaming sessions. Ill just do each mode separately, will take longer but I rather it do that than give me a headache and I end up losing interest

lol the after story was a pain even with most stats at max but gladly got used to do flash moves like in Ys 8 though i had to retry about 4 times

It had so much HP that i felt frustrated when i had to retry for the 4th time haha

• 8 months later...

Mist Witch is bullshit, maybe calamity isn't made for the first timers ☹️

I'm considering play it on normal difficulty in my first gameplay.

Edit notes:

Finished my 1st gameplay on normal. Even with some difficulty spikes, i managed to finish the story.

Started my 2nd gameplay with top gear + Lv.60.

Damage still insane and the enemies now are attacking like a crazy, you even can't get close without suffering massive damage, Asuka is saving my ass until now.

Wish me luck!

Edited by MegaMegu__

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, MegaMegu__ said:

The last boss is a joke, insanely hard.

If you don't spam X-Drive combos + elixirs, is impossible to fight him.

I'm done with this game, relieved to uninstall it.

Twilight Apostle is a pretty bad boss I agree, but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible unless using X drive(on highest setting or not)

You just have to be very careful when you attack and set up your teams and party just right.

This is the only boss in the game we’re you have to play it sorta like a souls boss.

Video for context

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

Felt like posting a general setup and advice for the 10 characters that I feels is the best way to Optimize(and get the most out of the games very well done combat system) on Calamity 1st playtru or not.

First off always play to your characters strengths stat wise.

So for example, Shio should be equipped with anything that boosts his HP, Attack, Defense.

Miski should be M.Attack, 

Auska should be made well rounded with a slight nudge towards attack.

So in other words hyper focus on your characters positives rather then what they lack.

Now for builds, playing to their strengths is best, but the other half of a characters build should be based around thier moves and how they work.

Taking Shio as a example again, he’s obviously a big Tank, slow, but his moves usually have him being lock in place dealing big boy damage while trades blows.

So the best way to build him is give him abilitys that rise critical, and keep his hp high while he does damage.

It may not be obvious, but due to his stationery based moves(and it generally being safer to throw out a power move in mid air, he actually can benefit a lot from the one gem that rises attack in the air by 20%.

Having that kind of thinking when building your party will carry you tru calamity difficulty.

Heres a very simple run down on how each character functions, use it as a rough guide.

Kou-He’s a simple one trick pony with arguably the best power move in the game, it hits twice, comes out fast(making it stupid safe, epically in the air) his air normals are not only some of the safest in the game but set up the power move really good for a second follow up.

Building him around attack and crit in definitely the way to go, his other moves are ok(his special is very strong and pretty fast too) but the ranged snd fying moves are just not worth investing in.

Also best ranged normals along with Shio.

Auska-The true well rounder of the game, all her moves are good, and really you could build her around any of the them, but it’s best to just make her well rounded instead.

Her power move is quick(not the strongest tho)

Her range moves it’s alot(making stat debuffs nice on her)

And flying move is very safe and strong.

Her special is also very unique in that it can freeze enemies in place, on its own it’s nice, but I highly recommend you always have her as your second during X drives.

She will spam the ice move so your 1st(character your controlling) can whail on the boss is helpless to move.

Sora-Quick and strong, but frail.

Shes the glass cannon of the game.

Probbly the quickest normals in the game, her power move is her bread and butter as it’s really powerful(just not super safe like Kou sadly)

Her movement speed makes dodgeing bosses nice too.

Her flying skill has nice utility for closing the gap on bosses to.

She’s good for dps in short.

Yuki-Build him for range that’s all.

He can shoot while moving(and his range attack is the fastest in the game) so spam that, get some hits in and then go back to spamming.

Just remember he another glass cannon.

Shio-Said enough about him already but here’s the run down, big tank, will mostly be attack in one place, so build him for survivability, damage and crit.

Hes all about his power move, screw the rest.

Miski-She’s actually a very interesting character, she definitely is better for range, but actually her power move is one of the best in the game, it does a lot of damage when it 1st hits and acts as a shield for one hit.

Shes sort of a hybrid in this sense, so build her power and range move and use her in combat aa a close range and far range fighter.

Frail like the other mage type characters(but that’s expected)

Rion-Interesting character, she’s the only character in the game who I think is made excuvly for a pure flying move build, it’s really fast, strong and covers alot of distance.

Just spam that move over and over.

Her special also locks bosses in place, but not to the extent that Auska’s does.

Goro-Very strong, has a nice power/range move, high attack, high hp.

Hes kind of a dps version of Shio(not as tanking tho)
Hes best played as a Shio/Yuki build.

So invest in power/range.

His normals are very weak tho, like weak like the range characters and have the worst combo string in the game to boot.

So all his damage will come from his power/range move.

Jun-Best character in the game hands down, can exploit 4 of the 5 elements, has good stats all around and safe moves and all of them are strong.

Id say he’s the ultimate character(probably why you don’t get him till legit the last chapter)

Only real downside he takes massive damage from Shadow based enemies.

Ryota-Awful character, this guy is near useless.

He can be decent if you just buff his crit to near 100% and stick some damage buffs on him, but other wise just act like he isn’t in your party during the final battle.

Unsafe moves all around, expect for his power move, but that’s not saying much tbh.

Edited by Wild-Arms-R
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jigsy1 said:

Try doing the last boss on Infinity + Calamity.

As soon as I get to stage 3, the fucker one-shot kills me...

I killed him using X-Drive constantly and landing many EX moves as i could.

I used 25 elixirs in the process.

You can buy with Sadie in After Story

• Like 1

Yeah, finally did him in the end using Shio and Sora and abusing Elixirs.

Stage 4, more or less following the wind tunnel and pounding him with Yuuki's danmaku.

Finally platinumed!

Edited by Jigsy1
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

My first playthrough was actually on Calamity... I only needed items for the Witch, the Angel, and the After Story final boss. 

I felt the game got much easier once passive abilities like Auto-Recover and Brave Soul were upgraded to the max and when I could give characters Chaos Mirage. It was still moderately difficult, especially the last boss, which indeed pushed me to the brink. 

I'm hoping Infinity's After Story doesn't somehow prove tougher, since so far I've been coasting in NG+ on Calamity again.