Ps3 getting slower internet connection than Ps4

HailHale81

If this is in the wrong thread area please feel free to move it.

Hi I was wondering if there is any network gurus out there that could tell me why my internet speed is extremely different from my ps3 to ps4.

My ps4 gets around 130mp download, wifi is 35, and ps3 is 20. I wire both the ps3 and ps4 and I use the same cable, meaning I just unplug the cable and switch to whatever system I want to play online for.

I never noticed my speeds being bad on the ps3 till today when I started playing Modern Warfare 2 Spec Ops and I would keep moving back and forth and it was becoming impossible due to the lag. I'm not sure if it's the game that is bad online wise but that still wouldn't explain why my ps3 and ps4 using the same cable gets a 100mb difference in download.

I never mess with the settings of the network so it's always the automatic options for the wired. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by HailHale81
  • Like 2

Network card in the PS3 is older, can't do as high a speed (and is likely throttled to an extent like the PS4 is). I have the same thing, Fibre rated at 300/40, PS4 test maxes at about 100 down, PS3 maxes at about 20. There's nothing you can do about it as that's basically just the speed it goes because that's what the system/PSN allows. 

Lag in the game could be multiple things. Internet acting up at the time, got put in a foreign lobby, etc. 

• Like 1

I’m no network guru but wouldn’t this be the expected result. The PS3 is much older technology therefore download speeds are slower. My PS3 has always had slower download speeds than my PS4. If it was the other way around then I would be concerned. As far as MW2 is concerned, if you were doing the 2 player missions then lag is horrendous although that may be dependent on where you are in the world compared to you co-op partner (I don’t quite remember now). I know I had shocking lag for those missions but it’s just a matter of getting through them and moving on to the solo ones.

• Like 2

Alright thanks for the replies. Maybe it's just the game and yes I was doing the spec ops missions. My partner is getting 40mp down on their ps3 so I'm sure it's not just the cap issue. I know I wouldn't get 100 but I thought before I was in the 40 download range.

Speed should not be the problem but it may come from other things like people have mentioned. MW2 spec ops lag is horrendous to begin with, but it could become worse because of a number of reasons. Maybe your connection is a bit unstable, perhaps it's dropping packets. That could explain the warping effect because your position is not updated often enough and then the game needs to make a big correction as soon as it receives new data it thinks it can trust. It might also cause your PS3 (or the game itself) to throttle the speed some more, in the hope that more packets might make it across. You would want to check your internet connection with some online tools to see if it's not only fast enough, but also stable. So do not just look for a speed test, but for a quality test.

• Like 1

Alright thanks for the replies again. Yeah it sounds like it's more of a game issue since people are saying the game has horrendous lag. I thought it was just me. The previous game I played online was Kane and Lynch 2 and that game had bad lag as well so I haven't played anything in awhile where I could tell if it was a game issue or my ps3. Like I said before I knew I wouldn't get 100 or more but I am pretty sure I got 40 at least. I checked all my speeds within minutes and the other speeds are their usual. Maybe it was all in my head that I was getting 40 before haha. Thanks again everyone