HH's Gaming Journal

Honor_Hand

Hey HH!

I am impressed by your ambitious goal! Interesting set of games, even tho I don't know much about them, sure I have heard the names here and there but never really learned much about them, let alone play them. There are a few titles I might be interested in the far future but I have a lot on my gaming plate as is, don't we all.

And I am happy for you that you find your happiness especially in a fucked up situation and I really hope your country and countrymen turn this mess around sooner rather than later. Being born in Germany I can relate a bit since we had a really bad time so not long ago. Not that I ever had the misfortune to be around anything like this but I had my fare share of trouble in my life. I can also relate to your desire to escape your situation by playing games, it's in a way the same with me although my situation is, well personal or psychological.

Anyway this is about you, so no more me! So how to you plan to reach your goals, playing one game at the time or jumping from one title to the next? And more importantly how do keep the distractions away? By that I mean new games or games on sale? :) As for suggestion! Well I could throw a few names in the mix but I won't, as you already have a well planned road ahead of you! ;)

• Like 1

Thank you for your words Durandal, I really appreciate them. I do hope we can turn this mess straight together at some point. This country used to be on its way to greatness decades ago (some people tell me, I don't know since I didn't live at that time around the 60s-70s) but at some point in time, many terrible decisions were made and we have been paying for it ever since I have memory. Things were bad already when I was born but these later years have been particularly brutal. Again, I really hope things get better at some point. They have to, don't they?

As for the goals, I like to jump back and forth between games. I usually play 3 games at around the same time (which you can see below on my signature ↓). If I get bored on any of these, I might jump on any of the games I have on my pipeline or on my backlog but I try not to start too many new games at the same time. Keeping distractions away is kinda hard, nowadays I'm impervious to digital sales but my girl tells me I spend too much money on any cheap physical game I happen to spot around. And she is right! lol I usually end up getting the games anyway but I don't start them right away, I rather wait to finish whatever I'm playing at the moment.

Feel free to throw names! I may or may not have the games you are thinking to recommend. I'd rather stick to the road I've planned but feel free to recommend any turns or shortcuts along the way xD

• Like 1

Ha! Well ok then but don't blame me if I complete mess up your plan. :P Here we go then ...

Some recommendations are for the time you got yourself a PS4 but if they are available for the PS3 then by all means.

So, the first game, and this is a must play, is of course NieR:Automata. It really is a masterpiece and I am sure you will like it. And you could also try the the first NIeR, Replicant. Too bad this is one is only available on PS3 or I would be playing it right now.

Rise of Tomb Raider, since you played Uncharted, and it is better then first game of the latest reboot. Or on the other hand the first reboot, it's available as a collection for the PS3 as I recall and includes Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. The first two being the best in the entire series in my humble opinion!

Assassin's Creed II maybe? It's one of the best of the series and a nice open world game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution? It's the predecessor of Mankind Divided and a good stealth RPG Shooter, also on PS3 only.

Trine 2 another must play and available for PS3 too. A magical Platformer with a good story and quirky humor. More importantly a very balanced game with superb controls and you can play it with others too, it's a 3 player co-op game.

That should do for now. :)

Edited by Durandal

Ha ha ha don't worry, I'll make adjustments as necessary :P

- NIeR Automata and Deus Ex Mankind Divided both are games I'd be interested if I get a PS4 later this year. The original Nier on PS3 is a game I have been yearning to play for awhile but so far the disk has been proved to be quite elusive. I do have Deus Ex Human Revolution and could probably add it to my pipeline.

- Rise of the Tomb Raider, I'd prefer to play the previous games in the series to get an idea of the character and the whole series before deciding if this would be worth to get on PS4. Actually, have both the HD Collection and the 2013 Reboot in my games and I could probably add those to my pipeline as they look pretty cool. The only problem is that my girl wanted to play these games first and she told me that I shouldn't play them until she finishes lol xD I'll find a way to add them to my pipeline.

- Have a number of Assassin's Creed games on my collection and none of them are the second game in the series... Been waiting to get it to actually start the series. Sound like a fair excuse, right?

- Trine 2, I don't have it... I don't think it came out in physical form here in America either. Game looks like a fun co-op platformer.

Could probably add Deus Ex Human Revolution and the Tomb Raider HD collection to my pipeline on my next update. It's going to take a while for that though as my progress is super slow. ?

Thanks for the recommendations! ?

Nice list! ?I'm awful at fighting games too so I steer away, but it seems like you really enjoy them! I don't have much experience with any the games on your list, besides my extreme dislike for Ratchet and Clank, however, if you ever need someone to help boost Dirt 3 or Darkstalkers Resurrection (if possible, I know it has to be ranked matches and it seems like fighting servers never completely die out), I have both of those buried deep in my backlog that I can easily dig up. I also never played Dyad, what's it like?

12 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

- Trine 2, I don't have it... I don't think it came out in physical form here in America either. Game looks like a fun co-op platformer.

Ahh too bad, maybe it will be possible some day. And yes it's a great co-op game but it's very fun to play solo, trust me I did it 2 times. :)

14 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Could probably add Deus Ex Human Revolution and the Tomb Raider HD collection to my pipeline on my next update. It's going to take a while for that though as my progress is super slow

Ok then, but only if I am not responsible for a crisis in your relationship! ;)

5 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Nice list! 1f44d.pngI'm awful at fighting games too so I steer away, but it seems like you really enjoy them! I don't have much experience with any the games on your list, besides my extreme dislike for Ratchet and Clank, however, if you ever need someone to help boost Dirt 3 or Darkstalkers Resurrection (if possible, I know it has to be ranked matches and it seems like fighting servers never completely die out), I have both of those buried deep in my backlog that I can easily dig up. I also never played Dyad, what's it like?

lol at the extreme dislike with Ratchet and Clank, what happened there? I thought everyone liked the games.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know when you come back from South Korea :P

Dyad is like a psychedelic-racing-on-rails-shooter-puzzle kind of game. Super easy to play as you only have to move circling a tunnel and chaining enemies one after another in a variety of ways. The objective is to reach the end of the tunnel in a certain time or to chain a certain amount of enemies and so on. Electronic and techno-like music plays depending on how fast and good you're doing on the stage. Platinum is pretty hard as the stages get progressively harder with a lot of stuff going on at once and time requirements for the trophies get exponentially more difficult.

Overall a good game I'd recommend to anyone that doesn't suffer from epilepsy or any other eye problem... Playing it feels like you could have a seizure at any point. ;)

5 hours ago, Durandal said:

Ahh too bad, maybe it will be possible some day. And yes it's a great co-op game but it's very fun to play solo, trust me I did it 2 times. :)

Ok then, but only if I am not responsible for a crisis in your relationship! ;)

Ha ha ha, don't worry... I'm sure she will understand. xD

Edited by Honor_Hand

4 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

lol at the extreme dislike with Ratchet and Clank, what happened there? I thought everyone liked the games.

So I looked into getting the collection. Everywhere people were saying how great the games were and they seemed at just the right difficulty level for me to really get into them, enjoy, and finish. Then I got the collection and the games were awful. The controls are all the worse things about last gen. controls with awkward button mapping. The characters weren't dynamic and the gameplay was pretty bland. I didn't grow up with Ratchet and Clank, so I'm pretty sure everyone has their nostalgia goggles on a bit too tightly for what is really a mediocre game series.

40 minutes ago, Kittet3 said:

So I looked into getting the collection. Everywhere people were saying how great the games were and they seemed at just the right difficulty level for me to really get into them, enjoy, and finish. Then I got the collection and the games were awful. The controls are all the worse things about last gen. controls with awkward button mapping. The characters weren't dynamic and the gameplay was pretty bland. I didn't grow up with Ratchet and Clank, so I'm pretty sure everyone has their nostalgia goggles on a bit too tightly for what is really a mediocre game series.

Hmmm. Interesting. That's the first bad experience I have ever heard about this series.

I personally have never played any Ratchet and Clank game before, so no idea if I'm gonna end up liking it or not. From a distance, It looks like the kind of game that I'd enjoy. I'll see how the game pans out when I get there.

Thanks for letting me know. ?

Update time!

• ModNation Racers (PS3): Finished all of the offline trophies and started working with the online yesterday. Did a bunch of random mods, karts, and tracks for the create XP trophy. I actually liked how the random tracks ended up even though I only steamrolled with total abandon and with no clear sense of direction. I don't have much free time to spend with the creation tools but I have to admit that they are very powerful in this game. Especially the track editor. Also, I jumped straight away to do the Flaming Hot! trophy seeing as how many people told me it was going to be pretty hard. Did like a hundred laps on the Big Hermitage track and I have to admit that getting the wall glitch to work was pretty tricky but I eventually landed 3rd on the Leaderboard with a time of 53 seconds and something. I was pleasantly surprised to see the trophy popped just a couple of minutes ago. Now, onto create and share a lot of content. If anyone wants to help or is looking for a partner in this game, let me know
  • Tales of Symphonia (PS3): Haven't really done much here. Started the game and I'm on my way to the Fire seal. A few differences I noticed from this version compared to the Gamecube original I played time ago. Red fonts for the main title instead of blue, Japanese soundtrack at the beginning and game runs a little bit slower. Found that the game is based on a PS2 port that has more content to the NGC original but that it runs a little bit slower (60 FPS on NGC vs. 30 FPS on PS2/PS3). Not game breaking by any means but I did notice the difference. The game is as good as I remember it, combat is much simpler compared to newer Tales games but still rock-solid. Colette is still as clumsy as ever.
  • Cross Edge (PS3): No other progress here other than uploading a bunch of tables and documents to my phone in preparation for the Synthesis grind that awaits me.

Will be updating my Hall of Memories over the Course of the day. I hope to add Memories from Platinum #11 to #30.

Thanks for reading! ^_^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Durandal said:

keep on playing ;)

Will do!

Updated Memories from Platinum #11 to #30 as promised. Will do the other ones next weekend or when I have some free time.

Edited by Honor_Hand

• 3 weeks later...

*blows the dust off the thread*

Update *cough* *cough* time!

So, what? It has been more than 2 weeks since I last made an update? I told you that my progress is rather slow. ?

Anyways, finally finished the super grind for the Platinum in ModNation Racers. Feels good to add another 1% Platinum to my collection. The next game in my pipeline that will be getting the scratch mark is probably going to be Cross Edge. *sigh* Been playing that game for far too long now and I really want to finish it. Have you ever fell compelled in finishing a game you don't like? That pretty much sums up my history with that game. Got it for the most ridiculous of reasons (Take a wild guess!) and I keep dropping it every now and then because, honestly, it is not good. I'm almost on the finish line though. Working on some titles right now and finding a way to grind through the endgame.

Tales of Symphonia is doing nicely. Gonna be playing more of that one in the coming days. Gonna be starting the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection as well soon.

On another news, I also got a PS Vita and got my first Platinum on it: Sound Shapes. So that's, at least, 50% of one of my goals for this year completed. Now I only need to get a PS4 and do the same before the year ends. On the Vita, I will be working with Rayman Origins and Welcome Park (for real...) in the coming days. Cool console, me likes it. :P

What else there is to say? *mumble mumble* Oh yeah, I will be updating the entries from #30 to #50 from my Hall of Memories in the coming days. Hopefully, they should be done before Sunday...hopefully...?

Spoiler

Finally, here's a sprite of Felicia playing with a butterfly just for you!

felicia-butterfly.gif

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 2

*peers through the dust cloud* Oh hey it's you!

Congratulations on you ModNation Racer Platinum.

49 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

Have you ever fell compelled in finishing a game you don't like

Oh yeah. The Ni no Kuni II I drag through my pipeline the more it annoys me. It's not a bad game per se but it just doesn't end. Quest here and there and all the citizens you have to find with more quests. It all comes down to this. A good game with a terrible trophy grind. So best of luck with Cross Edge.

Your next goals sound interesting. Not that I know much of Tales but they all have quite a good reputation so I am sure this will be a lot of fun for you. Same goes for Ratchet, and this is going to be a game, or the PS4 one, I am going to play soon for the Summer 2018 backlog challenge.

And I am a little bit jealous of your Vita, sure sounds like a nice gaming device. I bet you can't get you hands of it, don't you. ;)

Anyway good job getting your Platinums and have fun with your goals.

• Like 1

Oh, congrats the getting the VITA!!!!!! Also, I'm completely having an issue with your spoiler tag as well :P I think it's a random bug, but I'm too lazy to reload the page. I see you already finished welcome park, because I was going to say don't underestimate how annoying that sliding game is on it. Don't discredit all the free vita games either- they are usually a bit long but they are great mobile-type games to pick up once a day and put down. I personally really liked My Singing Monsters.

5 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

Oh, congrats the getting the VITA!!!!!! Also, I'm completely having an issue with your spoiler tag as well :P I think it's a random bug, but I'm too lazy to reload the page. I see you already finished welcome park, because I was going to say don't underestimate how annoying that sliding game is on it. Don't discredit all the free vita games either- they are usually a bit long but they are great mobile-type games to pick up once a day and put down. I personally really liked My Singing Monsters.

Thanks!!! Yeah, I just noticed the issue as well. it doesn't want to work now for whatever reason...

Just edited the post and it seems to be working again if you want to check it out. No idea what was the issue there -_-'

How many Free Vita games are in the store? I haven't checked out that yet thinking that there weren't too many, plus I'm kind of busy with some of the games I already have. Might check a number of them if you give a good recommendation on them.

On another news, I updated the main post to include memories for Platinums #30-40. Laid the groundwork for Platinums #40-50 and I will be updating those in the following days when...well...whenever I feel like it to be honest ;)xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kind of a big update for my journal. :)

First and foremost, got the Platinum for Rayman Origins, which would be my first legit physical game on Vita with a Platinum. I also got the Platinum for Mecho Tales, which would be my first truly disappointing game I got from a Flash sale on the store. Check the spoiler below for more details if interested.

*whispers* is the same thing I posted on the most recent platinum thread just now lol

Spoiler

Platinum #82 - Rayman Origins (PS Vita)

Lc47d97.png

1L8a5120.png

Rarity: 11,80%

It was nice to have a chance to replay this game again on the Vita. Got the Platinum on the PS3 version some time ago so I knew what to expect from this game. Anyways, Rayman Origins is just flat out great. Rayman controls like a dream and the level design and tight challenge make up for some intense and fun platforming sections. I'd also say that this one of the most whimsical games I have played in a while and I loved it for that. It sometimes made me think where the hell happened to all these colorful characters and environments in modern big-budget video games. Different to this Vita version is the inclusion of touch controls in order to zoom in or out the camera from Rayman, to pop item bubbles or bubblized enemies from far away (which made completing those medallions considerably easier) and to look out for relics hidden on the stage's background. I wasn't really to keen on hunting for those relics. I didn't even know it was a thing until I was about to finish the game and I felt that stopping to carefully look on the environment to find the relics kind of dragged the experience to a halt.

What was really fun were those speed trophies. I found them slightly harder on this version only because the Vita screen is obviously smaller than if you play on a proper big screen TV but nailing a good time on a stage or keeping the pace with one of those running chests were both an exhilarating experience. Is the game hard? Not really and the rarity shows this. I'd say that it has a tight difficulty but nothing that some good practice and memorization cannot beat. ^^

Platinum #83 - Mecho Tales (PSN / PS VIta)

Lf98f46.png

1La54ee9.png

Rarity: 77,44%

This one, on the other side, was kind of a disappointment. Despite the colorful aesthetics and the nice idea of implementing a twin-stick shooter with a sidescroller, the game definitely falls flat on its face. Simple platforming, repetitive enemies, glitchy gameplay, and a total lack of replay value for a rather short game made this experience totally forgettable. The music, the few there is, was great. And the shooting-while-moving mechanic seems well thought out but there is really not much fun stuff to jump at on this game. I'd say the main issue with the game is how simple and repetitive it is. Trophy wise, it is a total cakewalk, just progress through the game normally picking up everything and you should have all the trophies when you kill the final boss, which should take roughly 3-4 hours of actual gameplay.

One final note for this game is how bullet-spongy the final boss was. Really! The rest of the bosses were ridiculously easy up to this point and required almost no effort whatsoever but the final guy made me think my game had glitched out some point due to the considerable amount of time I spent with it compared to the rest of the bosses. Had to look for a video on Youtube to make sure that the strategy I was following was right. >.>

Besides that, I also updated my Hall of Memories section up to Plat #50. I like to write stuff there but I have to admit that it has been kind of a chore for the most part. Mostly because I don't have as much time as to write stuff there as I'd like to. Anyways, progress is progress. Will be updating the next entries over the following days. Working silently in the background until I get to finish it at some point. Only a few more now... :awesome:

On real life news, my HDTV crapped on me yesterday and some of you have may have noticed for my Status Update. Already talked with the service shop and will be taking the unit for repairs tomorrow. Hopefully, I will have it back before the end of the week. Hopefully... In the meantime, I will be playing Vita games for the rest of the week until my TV gets fixed. Added some Vita games to my pipeline to reflect that. Put a red font for all my PS3 games since they are going to be on halt for a while. *adds personal note: need to buy a backup HDTV for when stuff like this happens * :facepalm:

On a more brighter note, I finished today doing an installation of a portable 14,000 BTU A/C that I got a few weeks ago for my game room/bedroom (they are one and the same yeah). I was missing some accessories in order to made it work more efficiently but now it is all done. Now my room is more like a fridge than the oven it was before. ^^

I will try to keep this thread a little bit more updated from now on.

• Like 2

Congratulations on you latest Platinums! Rayman Origins is actually a title I kind of having my eyes on for good while now since I enjoy these kind of games, really love Trine and Ori for example. Unfortunately there is no PS4 version, so :(

On 6/26/2018 at 8:54 PM, Honor_Hand said:

I like to write stuff there but I have to admit that it has been kind of a chore for the most part. Mostly because I don't have as much time as to write stuff there as I'd like to.

I kinda agree with this for different reasons. I actually take notes now of the things I want to mention in my updates. Just a small file with a few keywords for the most things but it actually speeds up the writing process for me. Maybe that could work for you too. And I was thinking about your TV problem the other day and I thought that you might want to consider a Full-HD monitor as a backup. They should be cheaper then a TV and you don't need something big either, since the PS3 doesn't have these high resolutions so you could just buy a 21" maybe or 27" depending on the price. Just an idea. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Durandal said:

Congratulations on you latest Platinums! Rayman Origins is actually a title I kind of having my eyes on for good while now since I enjoy these kind of games, really love Trine and Ori for example. Unfortunately there is no PS4 version, so :(

Thanks! :)

I think Rayman Legends is available on PS4. You could try that one, although I have heard the Plat there is kinda hard there due to some online challenges. Ori and the Blind Forest is also another platformer that looks fantastic, hopefully, it will arrive to Sony's platform at some point.

9 hours ago, Durandal said:

And I was thinking about your TV problem the other day and I thought that you might want to consider a Full-HD monitor as a backup. They should be cheaper then a TV and you don't need something big either, since the PS3 doesn't have these high resolutions so you could just buy a 21" maybe or 27" depending on the price. Just an idea. :)

Oh, I hadn't thought about those Full HD-Monitors. I was actually thinking of getting a cheap 32'' 720p HD TV for less than $100 as a backup alternative but your idea sounds nice as well. Gonna check the prices on those to see which one fits my budget better. Thanks for the idea. ?

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

That bad eh?

Oh yeah... Challenge 2, 3 and 5 were manageable after a number of tries. Challenge 1 was hard as hell but I did that one as well. Challenge 4 made me cry tears of blood for days and I almost had a heart attack once I manage to beat it.

Challenge 6 was just way too much for me at the time.

Have to admit that I didn't have too much of a chance to practice because my HDD got corrupted and I didn't have a backup of this game. I'd need to go through the whole game again and beat those challenges in order to have a fair shot again at Challenge 6. Vanquish is an awesome great so I might get to do that at some point. :) 

So no Cross Edge Platinum any time soon? I guess that was inevitable. :)

Anyway, good thing you have your TV back and found some time to enjoy a few good games. Thomas was Alone sure does sound interesting. I am hearing lots of good things about those Tales games but they are all very grindy as far as I can tell. Have you played any other game and could you recommend a title for someone who is new to the series?

I also noticed that you play a lot on your Vita now, sure sounds like a great investment! Makes me even wonder if I shouldn't go for one myself someday.