Server Emulation?, Private Servers?, could this work?

The reason of this topic - Demon's Souls 

First of all I don't think it would be possible, but then again I don't even know how Online Servers work or how does this particular case worked.

If anyone in here has any idea on how to make it work I summon you for the greater good.  

I'm searching for answers.

Video of the Server Emulation working

This is not posted elsewhere, but will likely be soon, I just need to get my ass in gear and write this other accompanying thread for it.

Things that are not flaggable:

• Using server software to access an online game mode after server shut down - Sometimes after an official online server gets shut down for a game, someone writes software which allow you access to a game's online mode again. Earning trophies using such software won't get you flagged if the trophies are earned in the same legitimate manner as it would have been when the official server were online. No modifying the in-game or server environment to make a trophy unlock when it otherwise wouldn't, to earn it faster, or out of order etc. The following list is a list of approved server software that can be used without getting flagged, but use these at your own risk because malicious/modified use of these can get you flagged. Everyone should have access to the server software, projects not publicly shared are not acceptable.

Things that are flaggable:

• Using network software to maliciously obtain trophies - Using non-official network software to alter a game's network interaction, or in-game or server environment to earn a trophy in a way that doesn't legitimately fulfill the trophy's requirements. No custom/emulated servers that modifies the in-game or server environment, or unlocks a trophy when the official servers, when they were online. No software that sends packets to the game intended to make the game behave in a manner as if you've accomplished something in-game that you haven't legitimately done to earn a trophy. No software projects not publicly shared. The use of a standard proxy, VPN or similar service is okay.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:30 AM, YRGS said:

The reason of this topic - Demon's Souls 

I see they post the code for proof of concept server on github, but they are not actually linking to any working server software anyone can use, so this is not deemed okay at this moment.

This is okay:

At least as it currently is, because you earn the trophies the same way as before and the software is shared and documented, so anyone can use it.

Edited by MMDE

On 5/9/2018 at 11:33 PM, MMDE said:

I see they post the code for proof of concept server on github, but they are not actually linking to any working server software anyone can use, so this is not deemed okay at this moment.

I still don't quite understand how this works, but what I understand even less is that (in here, PSNProfiles) it's only OK to "revive" dead servers with Gonespy according to that. 

Like if someone gets the servers running again and we get a bunch of people playing legitimately (I do want the Platinum, but hell I also want to play) they will all be flagged because of reasons I don't even understand. Was Gonespy developed by PSNP or something?

If someone gets the servers running they just have to share it and that's it, eh?, no flags no nothing bad. 

There's nothing Malicious about this, come on PSNP

29 minutes ago, YRGS said:

I still don't quite understand how this works, but what I understand even less is that (in here, PSNProfiles) it's only OK to "revive" dead servers with Gonespy according to that. 

Like if someone gets the servers running again and we get a bunch of people playing legitimately (I do want the Platinum, but hell I also want to play) they will all be flagged because of reasons I don't even understand. Was Gonespy developed by PSNP or something?

If someone gets the servers running they just have to share it and that's it, eh?, no flags no nothing bad. 

If you are able to get this up and running, or know somebody who can, and earn trophies on this game and get flagged, the flag must be lifted. If it doesn't, and it's shown psnp is picking and chosing which games are deemed ok instead of all of them, the rest of the trophy hunting community will have a field day. It'll pretty much remove all legitimacy from this site.

Keep us posted if you're able to get enough interest in this revival. I'll join you if you do.

On 14/05/2018 at 3:44 AM, YRGS said:

The allowances with this website is currently the fact that Gonespy has been made to be equal for all people, as it's not one person running the server with a private code and picking and choosing when to keep the server up, the instructions allow anyone at any time to go on those games and play them without relying on one random person keeping the server up. When you go on Demon's Souls, you get a message saying something like "Welcome to Yuvi's server" and that is already a modification to the game as going online on the game when the servers were up never did that to the game. If someone ever does get LOTR Conquest to come back, as long as they do something similar to what Gonespy has done, which is where a person can self-host the server at any time without relying on a person to keep the server running behind their back, then it would be allowed by this website as long as stats for the game aren't modded by anyone. While I do think people should still be allowed to use Demon's Souls servers, the issue with it is that it's not known what is going on behind the scenes as the person who revived the game isn't giving people the option to self-host it for themselves at any time, you need to rely on them keeping the DNS up. @MMDE previously suggested using Demon's Souls custom servers after you've done various things on the game, to not create suspicious time stamps, like if you got every weapon except the Pure Bladestone one and used the custom server to get that then you won't be flagged as it's not creating unwanted time stamps. To be fair, even releasing the server code as public source would probably even be good enough, as with that code anyone could then get a server hosting company to likely run that server if that was needed. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went and read the Gonespy thread and they've labeled LotR: Conquest as unusable with the current iteration of the software. I assume it would take heavy modification to that code to get it working with this game. I'm all for bringing back the servers, and would probably be one of the first people to hop back in the multiplayer, but how do we drum up enough interest for a 10 year old game so that the emulation community takes notice and puts the work in to get it running? Seems like a long shot, but I love the idea and the fact that other servers have been brought back is certainly encouraging 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not the right place for this, but on the topic of lotr conquest, user Cuddlez90 apparently got one of the team deathmatch trophies on June 26, about a week ago.

He has missing timestamps for lotr and mw2, and completed Slyde in 4 seconds. Does that seem legitimate?

Edited by AJ_-_808

10 hours ago, AJ_-_808 said:

Probably not the right place for this, but on the topic of lotr conquest, user Cuddlez90 apparently got one of the team deathmatch trophies on June 26, about a week ago.

He has missing timestamps for lotr and mw2, and completed Slyde in 4 seconds. Does that seem legitimate?

I tried to flag him already, but unfortunatly the one TDM trophy can be achieved offline. Im pretty sure that he is a hacker. He completed Conquest, Dirt 2, Black Ops 2 and MW2 all in a row in 2018 after not playing any of these for years. The Problem is, from what I can tell, that you cant prove it. Slyde in 4 seconds should be flaggable though.

• 2 weeks later...

@MMDE

Certain things looked fishy, so it was intended as a question to people that i presume know more, not intended as public shaming (which is why I edited the question). Still learning forums, will keep that in mind in the future.

Still not sure how missing timestamps happen though.

12 minutes ago, AJ_-_808 said:

@MMDE

Certain things looked fishy, so it was intended as a question to people that i presume know more, not intended as public shaming (which is why I edited the question). Still learning forums, will keep that in mind in the future.

Still not sure how missing timestamps happen though.

You still got the user in your post. That user is perm off. He's been editing timestamps for several games.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...