This game SUCKS!

TheLastLion93

To get a good comparison (and the platinum) I just played the first God of War again, and guys...the controls are sooo freakin bad if you're used to modern games. The camera is so annoying in some battles and everything involving multiple physics (jumping from moving platforms on another while it's moving in the some/other direction) is just hell. I would rather fight 10 Valkyries than playing through the Challenge of Gods again.

• Like 2

Just chiming in that I throughly enjoyed the game. :)

But, I can obviously tell there was issues with it, like every other game. It personally lived up to my hype though. It didn’t have a choice, I bought a 4K tv, PS4 pro GoW edition, and the collectors edition lol. Pay to play for sure.

Edited by Valkynberg
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12-5-2018 at 11:30 PM, DonGurke93 said:

Never felt more disappointed in spending my money on something. The initial presentation and artistic design in this game is top notch and probably one of the best I've seen so far. Kratos is more likeable as a character and the dialogues/interactions he has with his son and the world are very interesting but once it comes to gameplay the game start to suck so much.

It's again one of those games where the devs felt the need to make another open world game and done it badly. It's like an epidemy where every game has to be open world nowadays when there is no need to. Remember those action packed fights with some puzzles and climbing sequences in between in other GoW games? Well sucks to be you if you enjoyed them because now you can ride boats from one end of the map to another. I swear to god from playing this game for about 15 hours, 10 of those were either walking a path or riding the boat. The fights are scarce and far inbetween and the enemy variety is just shite. Draugers and the damn White Walkers from Games of Thrones is what you get. Maybe 1 or 2 Trolls somewhere along the line. The pacing is just so freaking slow and horrible that I forgot what the game was even about.

Oh right, I was suppose to scatter the ashes of a dead wife, remember? Well I did remember once the boy reminded me again after shoving me down the throat that GoW is an open world game for the sixth time and as in every open world game I'm suppose to explore. So I tried to explore but apparently the game doesn't want me to so even though it told me right there to do it. Once you start any side quest you get a slap on your hands. The crappy drauger you fought after the tutorial is now level 6 and one shots you. "Wanna free that dragon? Sorry brah, you have to come back later once you level up a bit more, I don't care you killed Zeus because that Drauger is level 6 now. What? There is a rift on the path of the MAIN QUEST you opened, here, fight those 3 level 7 witches. Why would you even open that rift with the light arrows you just acquired, idiot." Whoever designed this IS an idiot. You want me to explore side quests after I completed the game then let them unlock once I'm done with it. But nope you get bombared with side quests from every angle and the boy just doesn't shut up how much he loves exploring. It's like playing a shitty RPG where everything is 50 levels above you but the main quest/path where you obliterate everything.

The boss variety is actually very terrible compared to most other GoW games. There are about 4 "unique" fights, 2 of them involve fighting the same enemy. 1 of them is okay. Another one where you fight the pair (not going to name them) reuses the basic shield enemy and Traveler guy moveset with some additions. This is pathetic. In fact the game reuses a lot. I stopped counting how many of those giants with poles I have been fighting. There is a point in the game where it builds up because you're going to a new realm retrieving an item to help out your son so you think there is going to be an epic fight... and then you are greeted with the same giant with a pole. You backtrack about 2 or 3 times the same area even though you could teleport and spare 15 minutes running around. What kind of horribible game design is that? It's like the game tries to stretch itself making everything cumbersome when there is no need to.

The camera sucks ass too. It just couldn't be a bit farther away from Kratos or the FOV bigger so I can see what the heck is going on on the other 75% of the battlefield. Why would it?

All in all I just get incredibly annoyed the more I play the game. Going to give my best to plat it and forget that it even existed cause I can't return it.

I've got to say, I agree with most of the things you mentioned. The travelling to each place was terrible. Good thing you had that head with you after a point in the game. The head and his stories made it bearable for me but at some point he just stops with the tales. This was just a bandage on a big wound. 

Boss variety should indeed be better, with each boss with their own moveset and tactic you need to use. I also thought that when I arrived in helheim I would get one hell of a boss..

For me the camera angle in the beginning was something I needed to get used to. Good thing the fight mechanics allowed those directional arrows from incoming attacks. If those arrows weren't there I would get smacked around a lot. So for me the camera angle wasn't bad, I just needed to adjust. 

The enemies with the purple bar.. well I found it fun and challenging. You have a whole moveset to parry or dodge almost everything. Doing the side quests enabled you to get better gear most of the time. 

Overall I enjoyed the game, loved the story, loved the epic landscapes, hated and loved the boy, loved the head 'till he was silent, loved the fights, hated and loved the valkeries, hated Baldur, hated the fact the witch isn't dead, loved the matured Kratos which you could not only see in the way he looked and talked but also in the way he killed the bosses. Except for the dragon which was totally old kratos. It made me feel like that little boy who played the first GoW for the first time. Snapped Baldurs neck twice, clean kill. Axe in the face of one of those brothers, relatively clean kill. So yeah, matured. 

Every game isn't perfect since perfection is different for everyone if we are talking about games. It is a relative thing like beauty or taste. So ofcourse this game has flaws. Every game does. 

Last but not least, I sure am going to play the sequel to **** up Thor. Butcher his ass, send him to accompany Baldur in helheim and throw Mjolnir into the allfather's face just to prove a point. 

Edited by Emillius-Maximus

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2018 at 10:37 AM, DonGurke93 said:

I've read the article you provided and it left me a with a sour taste at the end. The writer tries to glorify how much more immersive the new camera angle is but I would argue the sole fact that you have Kratos taking up half of the screen ruins the immersion. There is no character creation in GoW (yet) so you can't customize yourself nor is it first person so the immersion isn't there for me. What I think the writer is correct about is the fact that the camera from previous games provided "spectacle" and the nature of "godlike adventures". It's missing in this one. There is also the the practical usage of the camera which was my original complaint in my first post. While in combat the camera feels very limited especially when you fight fast enemies who leap from one angle of the battlefield to another. It wasn't an issue in the previous games because most of the time you could see almost everything what was going on.

I'm at a point where I'm doing collectibles and I couldn't agree more with you. I've seen couple of people arguing the game is much better than any Ubi game when it comes to busy work. But the sheer amount of collectibles in this one is simply tedious and says otherwise. Haven't tried Muspelheim and Nilfleheim but those could've been accessed through the main menu just as the Challenges or Temple of Zeus from Ghost of Sparta. For me the open world takes much more than it gives. The only enjoyable part of all the busy work I've done so far was doing favours for the dwarves. I thought those were fun.

I think the game still sucks but I would probably word myself a bit different when talking about the developers. From my point of view the issue is where the focus was pointed at, and that was graphics, presentation, and technical achievement rather than gameplay and level design.

The old camera style used in the older games never would of worked in the open world environment Sony Santa Monica decided to go with.

It was definitely clear they wanted to go with a different kind of a game here. Much of the game revolves around the story rather than the gameplay like Santa Monica did with the PS2/PS3 games. Only the first God of War made any real effort to carve out a story, while the other games was just Kratos going around killing monsters and putting a few innocents in the way of harm like a madman. The story in God of War 3 felt almost like a afterthought at times as you went about killing one god after the next.

God of War, when it comes to story, offers a very similar feel much like Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4. Like they were all cut from the same cloth, just in different time periods with different kinds of characters.

The new God of War is definitely a good game and I enjoyed it. But I don't think it's a 10 out of 10 game at all. The lack of enemy variety was disappointing. The dragon fight, Baldur encounters, and the Queen Valkyrie fight were the only fights I was impressed with. Everything else just felt.... meh.

The collectibles were a complete chore, like Ubisoft games. The Trails of Muspelheim and Mists of Neliflehim were disappointing too, nothing you really didn't see just wandering the open world.

Graphics, presentation and technical achievement were top notch. But God of War is a shining example of graphics over gameplay. For me, gameplay matters a lot more than the graphics.

Look at Undertale. The game looks like it came straight out of the Super Nintendo library, but apparently people enjoyed it enough to buy the game and for a while, it was quite popular among indies.

Even though I don't dislike the game as much as the OP, there are definitely some problems on this game.

The camera could have been better if it was a little further from Kratos.

In my opinion, the worst change from the previous GoW titles is the different gameplay. It seems like SantaMonicaStudio wanted to try a slow paced action/rpg gameplay in a God Of War. What I liked about previous entries in the series was to be able to have fun with a fast paced gameplay and obliterate everything in my way, I didn't want to have to farm materials to be powerful. Kratos and Atreus are gods, they should be powerful no matter what. They also could have made the Strenght stat a little more useful instead of having to rely on the runes to actually do some damage.

Besides these flaws, the storytelling and everything else is way better than the previous GoW so I'm still really happy of my purchase.

Edited by itachi-destroyer

• 1 month later...

this game is definitely not a 10. dunno what the reviewers were on when rating it.

- the controls for combat was frustrating and annoying, half the time not doing the things i wanted it to. i got confused sometimes between the buttons and combinations to remember as well.

- the camera angle added limitations especially to fighting, that we need a silly red light to signal when someone's behind us now

- magic attacks in this game compared to previous trilogy is a total joke.

- the amount of collectibles in this game is absolutely stupid. (i doubt anyone doesnt use youtube to help guide in finding everything, wheres the fun in that?)

- the boss fights were not even good, except the last fight. the troll fights were repetitive - basically the same thing with a different skin. same for the ancients.

- what was the point of the head? comedy effect?

- not all realms were even visited during the course of the story/game, which is stupid. whats the point of them?

- music used in previous games were much better than this game.

- the crafting system is just too complex and after awhile, got so annoyed with it. anything you guy you will always lose stats somewhere.

- the valkyries would have been brilliant story additions rather than non-story.

- it just dragged on and on and on. felt slow compared to other games.

- i felt i never really got into the big figures in nordic mythology, compared to the greek one. in greece you had epic fights with zeus, hades, hercules, medusa's sister, the barbarian, even going way back to the hydra. in this game, i did not get that with the key figures here and was left disappointed.

- it occured to me, than once i platinum this game, i dont think i ever want to play it again. which is sad, considering the previous trilogy, i was playing over and over even after getting the plats.

6/10 for me, most definitely. sorry, i found this game severely overhyped and overrated. but if you feel otherwise about the game and loved it, thats fine for you.

Edited by rockstarjazz