What big AAA open world / rpg should I try to platinum next?

BurnedChipmunk

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to trophy hunting and I'm enjoying it. Recently got my 4th platinum, Life Is Strange which I did really enjoy; before that I managed to get the platinum in the MMO shooter Tom Clancy's The Division which is one I'm very pleased with as it took a lot of time an effort to pull it off. Now, most recently I finished the main plot of Horizon: Zero Dawn and I'm now just doing bits of side-quest clean up to get the platinum in that which I should be able to get before the end of the month with ease.

So now that I'm on track for my 5th platinum. (my other two being Infamous Second Son and Shovel Knight), I've decided I want to get some big name plats. I'm looking at finishing one of the huge 100+ hour games I've had sitting on my shelf and hopefully getting the plat for them, but with limited experience trophy hunting I'm not sure what to go for.

I've got other more niche and smaller games that I know are far easier to platinum. Such as AER: Memories Of OldRimeThe Order 1886Oceanhorn, and Until Dawn that can all be platted in around 20 hours (or less). There's also more linear single player games like the Uncharted series and Okami HD that I hear you can get the platinums for in about 50 hours even playing casually. I know I could try to plat any of these and probably have an easier time over it, but part of me wants the challenge of getting the platinum for a big epic open world and as I have a fairly free summer coming up I should have the time to actually do so.

So I wondered, as most people here have more experience, which of these games would you suggest I get the platinum for.

• Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Nier Automata
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • Sleeping Dogs - Definitive Edition
  • Shadow Of Mordor GOTY Edition
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • ...none. Focus on those smaller games.

I've set up a poll for people to vote on what I should play over the summer, to try and get an idea of the consensus. I wanted to ask this forum specifically because you guys will have more of a platinum focused opinion and will take into account the trophy list more so than other communities, though I have asked people on Reddit and Facebook to give their opinion also.

http://pollmaker.vote/p/JS6DHM39

Thanks for anyone who takes part, and I look forward to discussing the games and finding out peoples reasons for recommending one game over another. Obviously I'd like to play all of these games, but I don't have the time. It takes me about 10 weeks to finish one of these 100+ hour games as I can generally get in 3 decent 3-4 hour game sessions per week. So I have time for only one big game over the summer sadly.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll make sure to reply and stay active in this thread so feel free to explain your recommendation and discuss the games in general.

Edited by BurnedChipmunk

Shadows of Modor :o

giphy.gif

Now that that nightmare has passed. I can say that Okami is a blast and it is an open world game of sorts (it plays like a 3d Zelda game) and unlike most Open World games that just have a bunch of useless caves and forts to explore so their "bigness" is exaggerated , Okami is a tightly constructed world with storyline reasons to visit all the different areas.

So that is my pick :)

Decent list of games there, but I certainly think you should try to platinum The Witcher 3, or Nier: Automata first. They're easily two of the best games to come out in the last decade. The Witcher 3's platinum is significantly harder than Nier: Automata though, assuming you don't use the trophy unlocker that is built into the game.

If you really want to do a 100+ hour platinum it has to be The Witcher 3. Although I'm not too sure about DAO, the other games don't reach 100 hours, unless you're planning on going for 100% on FFXV. Which is going to be my suggestion, FFXV is great!

I would say either Nier Automata (mostly because it's my most anticipated game to play right now, but I am holding off on getting it until I am done with taking exams) or Okami HD. Okami HD is one of my favorite games I've played in the past decade and was wowed with the aesthetic, story-telling, and interesting gameplay. It definitely has the Legend of Zelda feel with the dungeons and boss battles. If "others" win out, start with this!

Nier Automata can actually be really easy depending on how you decide to do it. You can play the easiest difficulty and even spend ingame currency for trophies after beating the game after a certain ending [c? can't remember]. And you can save scum it so you don't have to farm the money too. It's fun though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. These are just all the games I've had in my "backlog" pile for a while now and I need an excuse to pick one and actually play it while I have a relatively free summer. Perhaps they won't be 100+ hours for some of you guys but I tend to take my time with games so I'm usually on the longer side of completion times. 

I see that 'Okami HD' is a popular "other" so if the others win I'll definitely play that, and if it doesn't, should I finish the winner with time to spare, I'll try and make time for 'Okami HD'. My understanding is it's about 35-40 hours long and relatively linear so significantly shorter than the others in my list.

Really enjoying getting into trophy hunting. Hopefully I'll have played all my games in my backlog soon enough, but time is limited, and new games keep coming out dammit... First world problems I know, but I've realised I'll never play every game I own, even if I did nothing in my free time but play them. So I've decided to make sure I really enjoy what I do play. I used to rush through games so I could get to the next one, but they became like chores and I wasn't enjoying them. Since starting trophy hunting I play less games, but I'm enjoying them more. So yeah. Thanks again guys. Will let you know what game wins.  

At this point, is there anyone on the planet who hasn't played Skyrim. It's the only game I can think of that seems to get re-released every 2 years and yet everyone is excited about it. Apparently it's pretty good in VR but I've not tried it. Sadly one of the things that put me off Skyrim is it's pretty much required that you play in first person and I get motion sick with first person games,.. much prefer my games to be third person. And yes, I've played the Fallout series too. Was a little disappointed by Fallout 4 though, the RPG elements where so muted and dialled back it's debatable if it even counts as an RPG any more, and the story was shit.

So I just checked out your poll and voted Witcher 3. It's amazing and 100+ hours for sure. Can't go wrong with this game

Nier automata is great but 100+ hours. No way unless you play very casual

FFXV.. I loved this game so much but they just keep adding fcking dlc's to this game that I just starting to hate it?

You should give a look on Assassins creed Origins. Big open world and much more rpg focussed. With all DLC's you can easily get 50-70+ hours in the game

On 14/05/2018 at 9:30 AM, Deluziion90 said:

So I just checked out your poll and voted Witcher 3. It's amazing and 100+ hours for sure. Can't go wrong with this game

Nier automata is great but 100+ hours. No way unless you play very casual

FFXV.. I loved this game so much but they just keep adding fcking dlc's to this game that I just starting to hate it1f610.png

You should give a look on Assassins creed Origins. Big open world and much more rpg focussed. With all DLC's you can easily get 50-70+ hours in the game

I do tend to play very "casually". I enjoy the trophy hunting but I'm also the kind of person who'll spend 2 hours hunting animals and the occasional mech in Horizon Zero Dawn while listening to music because it's relaxing and I need the Fatty Meat for potions anyway.... So far I've put almost 70 hours into Horizon and I'm still 14 trophies off the platinum and still have barely touched the DLC. It'll likely take me another 10 hours or more to finish this game. Wouldn't say I'm a casual gamer by any means, but I'm far from efficient in my gaming, but then I'm not trying to be. I prefer to take my time.

Assassin's Creed Origins is a game I want to check out, but as I don't currently own it, it's not in the poll... I have a lot of stuff in the backlog to play so I should probably play what I've got before I buy more games. But thanks for the recommendation.

You should play the witcher 3!
TW3 is one of the few games that makes me totally happy and complete, from story to soundtrack. 
The hours a person loses in this game aren't in vain.

The same goes to games like far cry, horizon zero dawn, skyrim or dragon age inquisition

The vast majority of votes where for 'The Witcher 3' and 'NieR: Automata'. With them combined having 70% of the vote. The winner is 'The Witcher 3' with a margin of only 2 votes. So it was quite close. Got more than 70 votes in the end, so that was pretty cool.

Thanks for everyone who took part and gave their opinions, I'll make sure to let people know what I think of the game once I've played a reasonable amount of it.