How I learned to love games

Paleblood

• Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

I guess I'd say my brother.  He was helping me through the first Super Mario Bros on NES before I could talk.

• If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habbits?

Not in a relationship at the moment, but when I was I generally played games less.  Begrudgingly so.

• Do you play together and how is that?

Tried to, at the girlfriends request but I could sense she was just humoring me.  So it didn't last long.

• Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

I've been dealing my whole life with people/family/friends talking down to (or outright abusing, just vicious stuff every day when I was a kid, from... certain parents of mine) me because I love video games/computers/techy stuff in general... so I have a bit (or a lot) of self loathing/hating myself because I continue to play games despite knowing that I really enjoy them... and serious, perhaps unwarranted doubts when I sense people trying to relate to me or to pretend to enjoy games for my sake.  Deep down I wanted to share it, and bless my ex's heart she tried, but it was just too embarrassing to me.  Probably best to leave it for myself.

• Where are you on this?

I think it's great if two people can share their hobbies, and be genuinely happy about it.  I may not be able to, but kudos to those that can/do.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

You made the topic :yay:

OT:

The introduction was when my parents bought me a Sega megadrive for "Sinterklaas" a dutch santa (you can google it pretty active on racism and shit atm?). I was about 6-7 years old and thats how my addiction grew as I played tons of games on PS1 with my dad.

Relationship->Lucky for me my current girlfriend has a ton of her own hobbies and is pretty busy with her career/work so I game even more then I did some years ago. My ex was a horrible anti-gamer(guess why that didn't work out).

Sometimes we do play some games together. Games like Cat quest, Little big planet 3 and our latest game was a Way Out. Ofcourse my whole life is around gaming since I was a kid so playing together usually ends up in laughing how I have no life and it isn't fair how I'm much faster when it comes to reflexes, aiming and your typical game stuff. It's real fun?.

Sharing my experiences with my games is something I do a lot. I have the urge to spam a bunch of screenshots or hype a lot and show her youtube video's of games that are about to release. Poor girl had to withstand so much spam the days just before God of War released recently:awesome:. She also keeps up with my platinum count as it's growing very fast since I bought a playstation.

The last part "where are you on this" I'm not really sure what you mean by that ?..

• Like 1

Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

My nephew did, his parents got him a SNES and that's when I found out about video games at the age of 5-6. Mario and Duck Hunt are the first ones I played and from that moment on I was hooked.

If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habits?

I was once and she didn't like games, so didn't play as much.

Do you play together and how is that?

Single at the moment, but I'd like to play together when I have a girlfriend again.

Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

Yeah, I'd try to share it. If she's not into gaming, then I'd try to get her interested this way.

Where are you on this?

IMO having something both people enjoy improves the relationship and it's nice to have a dependable co-op partner :awesome: .

• Like 1

Mostly I introduced myself to it. I never had a home console while I lived with my parents. Only the classic Gameboy and even then I had almost no games for it. I managed to play Wii games at my friend's places. I first got into he larger sea of games when I got my own money and my friend itnroduced me to Steam. But I really fall in love with this hobby once I had moved out and bought my own PS3 about 3 years ago. Since then it is my main hobby. I regret almost nothing about it. Just that I don't spend so much time on my other hobbies anymore.

If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habbits?

Nope. I always stick to my own genres which are single player games. I am in a relationship and he is a gamer as well but we mostly play what each of us likes. We recommend games to each other and talk about games we both played but that's about it. I somewhat pressured my boyfriend into playing Kingdom Hearts. So far I'm quite successful as he finished one of the games and still intends to play all the others :D

I'm a huge fan of FF XIV and just one day after I got together with my boyfriend, he downloaded the game as well because he wanted to play something we could play together. Two days later he bought the game and since then we play it together and enjoy it quite a lot. It's really fun playing with him. More than I thought it would be. But I also used to play some coop games with my former boyfriend. Mostly Magicka and mostly PC games. But I played through RE6 with him. Well, I spend most of my RE6 time sitting in corners while he fought the bosses. But it was really funny.

Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

I don't mind sharing hobbies with my boyfriend. For me, it is quite hard to keep a relationship without having the same interests. I don't mind playing games while he watches TV or me drawing while he plays something but without having some things we can do together or talk about, it would be quite a sad relationship.

36 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I've been dealing my whole life with people/family/friends talking down to (or outright abusing, just vicious stuff every day when I was a kid, from... certain parents of mine) me because I love video games/computers/techy stuff in general... so I have a bit (or a lot) of self loathing/hating myself because I continue to play games despite knowing that I really enjoy them... and serious, perhaps unwarranted doubts when I sense people trying to relate to me or to pretend to enjoy games for my sake.  Deep down I wanted to share it, and bless my ex's heart she tried, but it was just too embarrassing to me.  Probably best to leave it for myself.

That is quite sad. My parents used to judge me for spending too much money on video games but they didn't look down on me. I think, it is quite pathetic to judge others just because they have different hobbies. And it's really sad that you can't enjoy what you love to full extend just because of that. I know it is quite difficult to stick to it, but you should try to not let it get to you. Video games are fun, they help you in getting better recognition and thinking skills and reflexes. It is quite a good hobby. Not as healthy for the body as doing sports but healthy for the mind as it refreshes our thoughts and helps us to stop thinking about worries for some time. Just tell yourself that you at least achieve something for yourself by playing video games and that it is still more productive than watching TV all day long where you really do nothing but sitting there, breathing and blinking with your eyes. (My parents always did nothing but watch TV and still judged me for being on the computer writing short stories and playing games...) ANd maybe one day you find someone who will genuinely be interested in your hobby and doesn't try to be interested for your sake :) 

• Like 1

My brothers have always played games so I grew up with them, there's never been a point in my life when there's never been a console to play. I didn't really play games properly until I was about 10 so before that my mum would force m brother to play the games for me, he got forced to play Sonic '06 and Mr.Mosquito....

Yes, it's influenced me a lot. I didn't care about trophies before I met him and he showed me many new games since I only really knew games my brothers played, this is how I learnt about JRPG's and now I love them. I met him on this site when I was 15 so I was still really new to gaming and had only had my account for a year, he had about 50 platinum at the time and I was really shocked he wanted to talk to someone with only 1 platinum (which was the walking dead at the time). I thought people who had high platinum count didn't care for those who were newbies, obviously I don't think this now but when you're new to everything this is how it seemed to me at the time.

So I watched him play some games and saw how nice it looked having a 100% account so I made a new account, I've had many over the years at this point. I made a new account because I saw how much he enjoyed it so I wanted to give it ago. This made me appreciate games a lot more, I got more out of them, I got to improve my skills and I'm able to talk to others who enjoy it as well. Now we help each other when it comes to games and I can't imagine what I would be like if I had never met him, I would still be on my 1 platinum at this point. xD 

Definitely! At the start it was a mess, we didn't know how each other plays games, we didn't know how to communicate and we tried to our own things instead of helping each other. Now it's as perfect as it'll get and we play everything possible together, we even help each other with our trophy hunting addiction. xD One thing I love the most about us is that I will always be a healer, mage, ranger or support in general while he loves being a DPS or tank, because of this we never need to clash or argue who will be who and we support each others weaknesses and strengths. 

We already share our achievements with each other. There's never been a point when we haven't done that, we both love gaming and we're a massive part of each other's lives so why wouldn't we? Since it's a long distance relationship we still get all the freedom we need, I can play games when he plays games, I can play at any time of day without worrying about him not being able to play so it defiantly helps us gaming. We party everyday and share play games whenever we're interested in something the other is playing and playing multiplayer games is 1000x easier when you're online anyway. xD 

Where are you on this?

Not sure what you mean by this but I'm assuming you mean are we happy with our situation? I for one am very happy, I get to share my enjoyment of games with the person who introduced me to them and he will always be my partner in gaming. It's amazing having someone willing to help you no matter what and being able to do the same to them.

• Like 2

My sister actually! She would bring me to the arcades when I was really young, and I would watch her play X-Men. We would also play mario on the NES together, I remember I would sit on her lap while watching her play. It was shortly after that I became glued to the screen playing Final Fight, Paperboy, Mario, so many NES games.

And the gaming obsession began! (she unfortunately doesn't have the time to game anymore. But I did load up X-MEN on her phone once in an emulator and that made her day. She played allll day) 

I currently am not, but was multiple times, and some of them enjoyed gaming and others didn't. The ones that did it was far more entertaining to watch or play with a significant other. I know friends that are married/in relationships that actually set some of their time off to play with each other. 

See above*

• Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

I would definitely share my sense of amazement even if I got an "ok, that's nice" response! I think it's important to do so in a relationship. Sharing each others hobbies, and excitement in them is a healthy way of communicating. 

• Where are you on this?

I think the amount of couples playing together, even in single player games is increasing rapidly. I definitely believe this is a healthy way of spending time with each other as apposed to sitting in silence watching a movie, or simply not being engaged with each other on a hobby. 

Though I believe a lot of hobbies would suffice, but gaming is easy to pick up and put down. 

@Stardew Shelly I also think it's pretty cool you making this thread, positive threads like these are great! I'm glad you've enjoyed your time on psnp and continue to do so! This is definitely the nicest forum on the internet for gaming, and I hope it stays that way and gets better. 

• Like 1

I'm a natural born gamer. ? I started playing really early, when I was 3/4 years old with a Gameboy Pocket and a PSOne with two racing games at the time (Burning Road and Ridge Racer). Ever since then I play.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, who knows), I never have been in a serious relationship. Yes, I onyl had a girlfriend when I was a kid, and I could only visit her during my vacations. I was born in France, then I came up to Portugal and could only see her again when back to France for vacations. Then she left and I never saw her again. Even though I easily symphatize with some girls and I have a nice friendship with some of them, I never had the "talent" to talk to a girl I love or make her gain interest about me. Maybe it's the looks? Maybe the way I talk? I don't know... 24 years old and I'm damn fresh single.

But as a teen I used to exchange some SMS with some girls, I would always text them and play at the same time (yeah, I got that talent ?). So if I had a relationship, it would depend of the girl, if she was a gamer or not. Not my case, so I don't feel this issue.

Read the above answer, lol.

I would explain her why gaming is important to me, as the other stuff I do as well, and she would probably do the same. I don't mind playing with a co-op partner. Even though I'm more of a single player, I'm sure we would get some nice games to play together.

Where are you on this?

I guess a couple that likes to game together is a happy couple, right?! ?

Now, is this your account, or his? How do I know who is talking? ???

Edited by Caju_94

Mix of older siblings and dad.

Yes, but not really.

Sometimes, but she's really not that good at games and she gets a bit too easily frustrated when she isn't properly motivated to actually get good at them.

I would love to share more, though, she does play quite a bit already.

• Where are you on this?

Not sure I understand the question. I think I just need to motivate her more to go outside her comfort zone and get a better general experience with playing games. This in turn would allow her to enjoy more games without feeling there's a huge barrier to climb, one that feels too tall for there to be any enjoyment, to enjoy a game.

• Like 1

Older brother and sister. I was 5 years old and we used to have sega genesis, the first console I was introduced to, and we had Sonic (I don't remember which one exactly), so we basically took turns, except that my controller was often unplugged because I have quite the siblings ? Long story short, that's how I got into video games.

My Ex. Actually, it was the other way around, she was obsessed with FFXIV and never played that many other JRPGs, she was an MMO junkie. I introduced her to the Persona series, which she adored a lot. I also lent her some of my Tales of games and she was quite fond of them. In terms of influential habits, I probably made her appreciate more games within that particular genre. 

We used to, briefly. We've played Diablo, Trine 2 and Magicka 2. Pretty much any couch co-op game you can find. Doing something you love with someone who shares the same passion as you is an interesting experience. Although she loved video games, she was a slow learner, I had to give quick notes every time we played together, but it was fun. We visited each other every 3 months, she is from The Netherlands and I live in Bahrain, It was long distance. She worked a lot and barely had time to play games--One of the many reasons why our relationship came to an end.

I think in general sharing something you adore so dearly with someone special is a wonderful thing. So I'm all for sharing.

Where are you on this?

I see it as an opportunity to deepen the relationship, but sometimes some alone time to enjoy video games can be healthy for both parties.

And now I realize how lonely and depressed I am these days. ?

Edited by Xel

It was my father when I was younger, actually. He probably always wanted to have a boy, so I pretty much grew up like I was one. I never had any "girl related" hobbies and mainly spent my free time playing soccer, handball or video games with him. Most of my friends in kindergarten or elementary school were boys who loved video games too so it began when I was pretty young. 

No, not at all. My boyfriend and I met due to our love to survival horror games, but we often like different genres. He isn't a fan of RPGs for example whereas RPGs are my favorite kind of games. It's not too bad since we can still talk about our hobbies and mainly share the same interests. However, there are times I started a game only because he suggested it to me. (Fun Fact: He hates to like a video game I recommended, I guess he is mad that he isn't the one who recommended it to me :highfive:)

So, so. We play Call of Duty but I think that's pretty much the only game we can play together. Rarely there are co-op games we both are interested in, although most of the games we like are singleplayer only. It's fun to play together since we know each other so well and are aware of each other's habits in gaming. Thus we often don't even need to communicate while playing together (except for the obligatory "Look behind you!!" or "There's someone on the right" while playing CoD :P) 

I love to have a partner with the same interests and I am not sure how our relationship would have been if we had different hobbies. He's an amazing person though, so I'd probably love him nonetheless. We're together for over 8 years.. time flies, but I'm happy to be with him. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stardew Shelly said:

The reason for creating this thread was that I wanted to hear how you started gaming:

• Where are you on this?

1. FSM himself revealed to be the wonder that IS Dodge Em on the Atari 2600. I was hooked from the start.

2. Yes. I play a hell of a lot less than I did before my relationship.

3. No. I tried playing Super Mario Kart with my wife in December and that ended horribly.

4. No. She hates video games and would rather watch reality shows and surf social media.

5. I would never pressure my wife to play or talk about games and because she doesn't like them, I don't play them when we're together. And she doesn't force me to watch her reality shows or make me look at social media. When we're together, we're usually with our son and spend that time playing with him. I'm happy with that. My games aren't going anywhere and eventually I'll get some time by myself to play them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stardew Shelly said:

I actually think it was my cousin when I was around 11. I saw him play Driver 2 & GTA3 and just needed more of that in my life; I was obsessed with cars back then.

Relationships for me have always had the adverse effect; they tend to take me very far away from gaming and typically I only get around an hour of video games a week, if that. I don't mind this actually as I've picked up so many new hobbies and interests over the years thanks to it. I suppose I've always been attracted to difference and in turn it's allowed me to expand my comfort zone exponentially.

I think I tried to play something together once with an ex, but we got distracted after about 5 minutes in. As much as I love gaming, there are just so many other things I'd rather be doing when I'm with someone - and no not all of it's X-rated. I even prefer taking my dog for a walk with my partner than sitting in playing video games.

• Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers

I think I've already answered this but despite seeing the allure behind sharing one of my favourite hobbies with my favourite person, in practice it doesn't go hand-in-hand for me. On the contrary, I love to be involved in all of my partner's hobbies, provided she doesn't mind. As long as it doesn't involve watching reality TV.

• Where are you on this?

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out and I probably am but at the end of the day I'm always happy in my relationships (at least until it comes to an end) and so It doesn't really matter all that much. All that matters is people are happy together whatever they do or don't do together.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

I think my brother introduced me to it. What do I mean think? Well I am playing games for 35+ years now so the details are a bit fuzzy. But I do remember that he dragged me to a shop in nearby town all those years back to introduce me to something called a computer. Hardly anybody knew what a computer was in my teenage years. It all turned into a real hobby when we both had one of these computers and started exploring or sharing games. I pretty much realised right there and then that I found a long life hobby.

I only had one partner who sort of shared my fascination. It started when I showed her what I was doing with my computer. Anyway she had fun doing it and I think she is still playing games nowadays. After that I had a phase where I didn't touch a computer or console for a few years. After starting playing games again I never really met someone who I could share this hobby with. Which sound a bit sad I guess, but I am not cut out for relationships or even socialising on a broader scale And it always turns into a weird conversation when I talk about my gaming life with someone. Sometimes I wonder if people my age still think it's something only kids or younger people do or nerds.

But I am happy for anyone who found a partner they can share or do anything together, not just gaming per se. Do I wish this for myself? Sometimes yeah, I sure realise how wonderful it would be to share all those wonderful moments together. There were a few women who were interested in me and might have shared this with me or even embraced it as a hobby, but like I said I am not a relation kind of guy.

Last thing and please don't take this the wrong way. These days it really is much easier to share your life as a gamer with anybody in general, no matter the gender or even sexual orientation. Mostly because it is a widely accepted interest nowadays. Back in the days when I was younger you were really hard pressed to find a girl who was even slightly interested in technology let alone video games. Or perhaps I simply grew up in the wrong place. :)

• Like 1

I really don't remember, I was into games since I can remember so I guess it was myself.

My mom bought me my first console which was Wii when I was about 9. And at the time I wasn't seriously into gaming, I mainly played Sonic games and Simulation games on my old computer. 

It sure has! My ex boyfriend helped me get my PS3 which was a huge stepping stone into the world of serious gaming for me. Before I met him, I was more into anime than gaming because I simply ran out of games to play, my computer was crappy and I didn't touch my Wii anymore. I also had a PS2 which my cousins gave me but it stopped working ages ago. 

So buying a console after such a long time without gaming was very refreshing. He also let me borrow a lot of games so I could have a nice beginning. And I haven't stopped playing since :D.  

I rediscovered my love for gaming because of him so I will always be thankful to him. No matter what happened between us. 

Yeah, we used to play together all the time. Mainly Naruto and Tekken.

Yes of course. Even more than that - I will probably not get involved with a person who isn't into my hobbies in the first place.

Because my hobbies are a huge part of who I am and if I can't talk about it with my partner then I would feel miserable. What kind of conversations will we have? about the weather? 

I'm not saying my partner should have the exact same interests and tastes as me. But we should have things in common, or else I don't see how it's going to work. 

Where are you on this?

Like I said, I think couples should have at least one thing is common because if their interests are too different it's going to be hard to hold a conversation. 

• Like 1

Such an amazing response! Thank you all ?

1 hour ago, Caju_94 said:

Now, is this your account, or his? How do I know who is talking? 1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png

You don't. What a mystical world we live in, eh? :lol:

No, mostly it's me, Lisa. But of course he checks his trophies and browses the forum too. I should've made an account for myself by now, but I actually like it the way it is and at this point I am so accustomed to this account I wouldn't want to part with it.

Maybe he should use another one haha :P

1 hour ago, Xel said:

And now I realize how lonely and depressed I am these days. 1f62d.png

In the Internet, you are never alone. No Need to be sad, the right one will eventually show herself :).

• Like 2

My first memories of gaming were playing Top Gear on the SNES trying to be better than my Dad.  He was never really into video games, but I think he found it as something we could do together, so it started from there.  Then I was hooked.  My social skills are not very strong, and I enjoy my time alone, so I found a love for gaming, and it grew from there.

I am in a relationship, happily married since June 2016.  It is difficult to tell the exact effect my wife has had on my gaming habits, because life has changed a lot for me at the same time (full time job, owning and renovating a house, other adult responsibilities), but I do still get my time to play games.  We actually have two TV's side by side in our media room, with a PS4 hooked up to both, and Netflix on both as well.  That way if I want to play something, and she wants to watch something else, or if we want to game together (and couch co-op isn't a thing) we can play together while still sitting on the couch cuddling.  It has seemed to work for us, and I am happy that it does.

We do play together, but we get different things out of it.  Gaming is my release, it helps me relax after a long day.  For her though, it requires focus and attention, so it is far less relaxing for her.  After a long or busy day, she would rather lay down and watch some Netflix than game.  That said, there are still times when she is happy to play something together, so I always keep my eyes out for fun games that we can play together.

While I would never try to force her to, I would love it if she had the same passion and joy for gaming as I do.  Every time she mentions something gaming related, I try my best to encourage her and help her along.  She has no real desire to get trophies, but I think I may be slowly changing that, with the help of HZD.  It is the first game she actually showed an interest in playing through to the platinum, and actually on top of that, she kept playing to get 100%.  She showed an interest in God of War before I ever actually brought it up, which is huge.  I encouraged that spark, and even gave her priority access to the bigger tv and the PS4 pro to play it on, as I think that is a better way to experience it.  That is actually also the reason why I have not started it yet.  I want her to experience it truly blind, and I am loving watching her explore and see the world.  It is like I get to experience it with her.  The only downside to this is that she doesn't want to game as often as I do, so it will just be a slower process, but if it means I get to share something awesome with her, then it will be worth it.

Where are you on this?

I don't really understand the question.  If it is what I think it is, then it has been answered by my previous answer.  I love every time Mrs_Sir_Bee shows any sort of interest in gaming, and I use every opportunity I can to show her why I love this medium so much, and to try and share my joy with her.

• Like 1

You guys all wrote so much interesting stuff. I can't quote everyone :lol:

32 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

That way if I want to play something, and she wants to watch something else, or if we want to game together (and couch co-op isn't a thing) we can play together while still sitting on the couch cuddling.  It has seemed to work for us, and I am happy that it does.

I ran out of likes, but you definitely get one tomorrow for this. :)

2 hours ago, LuciaRosethorn said:

I didn't really play games properly until I was about 10 so before that my mum would force m brother to play the games for me, he got forced to play Sonic '06 and Mr.Mosquito....

For some reason this made me laugh real hard :lol:.

@Zolkovo You had the most different post as of now and it was really interesting to read. How old are you if I'm allowed to ask?

• Like 2

It was very much a family thing for me, we had an Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 to share between me brother, sister and I when we were growing up.  I guess I could say my brother and I were more into playing and I take a lot of my love for games from him.  As we got older and he got his first job, he bought a SNES and I remember often sitting in his room playing Mario Kart together or him letting me play Legend of Zelda when I was sick.  My parents later got me a Master System and following that I bought a SNES, PSOne and PS2. 

I met my husband through a video game (Uncharted 3) and it's actually fantastic to be in a relationship with someone who shares the enjoyment of gaming.  I wouldn't say it has influenced my gaming habits all that much.  My prior relationship, he didn't like video games but he also didn't have any other hobbies to speak of, so that obviously didn't work out.

We tend to like different games - I'm a big fan of JRPG's and he likes big open world, action oriented games.  We have a side-by-side, his and hers gaming setup which is really cool as we can watch what each other is playing.  We do play quite a bit of co-op too, over the past 2 years though it has tended to be exclusively on Ark: Survival Evolved playing on the Xbox.  We host our own server and are in a tribe together, it works really well and I think gaming together has only enhanced our communication skills.

I love sharing a hobby with my husband, honestly it's nice that we share each others passion for gaming.  We do have other hobbies that we do too, but for me it's all about balance.

• Like 1

Can't remember who got me into games because I was fairly young but probably my brother or one of his mates.

Not into the whole playing games with your partner thing, just not my style. It's always been like watching a movie you've never seen and having someone ask a bunch of questions so you can't focus on the story and it gets old real quick. 

I forgot when I started? All I know I was influenced by neighbors. 

Currently not in a relation. 

Before with a promised girl(Partner in studies), we play together at the mall's arcade. We play Tekken & ohh I remember our oldest favorite game 'Threads of Fate' we share stories & ambitions at the mall's balcony but that ambitions was already broken".

220px-Threads_of_Fate_Coverart.png 

Nothing to share. I'm doing all alone several years ago.

Where are you on this?

I'm still playing without dedication to someone however, ironically, this kind of topic made nostalgic instead of being cheerful!

1 hour ago, TKdovahkiin said:

I stood in line in the middle of the night to get a PS2 for my stepkids so they would have something to do at our house when visiting.

My husband is so happy that I picked up gaming from the kids because his hobby is sports.

I share it with him all the time but mostly now I have a bond with my stepson over gaming since he's been playing since he was 6 yrs old.

I feel that this is good for my brain and it keeps me going, even though I don't have a lot of energy/health to put into it.

I'm a grateful gamer.

That is fantastic! You must be the coolest stepmom :)

L

• Like 1

My cousin from Canada

For me, it was when I was 10 years and we (me, little brother and parents) went on one of those boring family visits to my cousins house in Canada. He has a PS1 with Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped, and because we were kids without a car and nothing to do, he got us into it and we spend the whole trip on the PS1, despite it being 30 Celcius outside with an outdoor pool. When me and my brother got back, we of course begged dad to get a PS1 along with CB 3 Warped. That slowly expanded to owning every single Crash and Spyro game, renting games every week at the rental store and playing for hours on end. Later got the PS2, and via the rental store made wonderful gaming discoveries such as FF, KH and was addicted to Sonic Heroes. 

In addition to that, GBA/DS/3DS and all the Pokemon games followed suite. 

I am not in a relationship, and none of my previous relationships were gamers anyway so it was always solo. As a kid, I always gamed with my brother and our friends, we had many fun times until he decided to become "cool" by giving up gaming and moving on into the world of partying, drinking and er.. a more 'social' life around age 16-17 (I was about 18). He left after the PS3 hit it's half way point. 

We had played mostly Pokemon together, but also Metal Gear Solid, Team Buddies, Ratchet and Clank, Crash Bash and CTR, and taking turns in doing sections/ bosses/ grinding etc. in KH, FFX and XIII. 

My brother who was the only one I really gamed with as a kid and teen does not game, he thinks it's for antisocial nerds now. So I'm on my own now. 

If I had a gaming partner, yes I would. But I've unfortunately never dated someone who even has the slightest interest in gaming as I went to medical school, which tends to be full of library lovers... too much Hermione influence. I share my hobby with friends and gaming colleagues instead. I prefer the former, but always encounter the later. 

Where are you on this?

I am a dedicated gamer and trophy hunter (only for games I actually like, not one of those who just buys easy/ crap Hannah Montana style games just for the plats). I love RPGs and otome games, mostly game on my Vita for otome games and PS4 for everything else. Stopping playing my 3DS these days. I work as a doctor which is very busy with a lot of out-of-hours and nights, so it's hard to find the time but I always try to squeeze in an hour here and there to keep me sane,  reset the stress bar and recover my HP.

I also have a few apps on my phone, like Tales of Asteria, Hogwarts Mystery and The World Ends With You.