How I learned to love games

Paleblood

• Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

Basically me since I'm the oldest Kid in the family. I got a Sega Master System II for christmas when I was a young boy. And I introduced my little sister and my friends into gaming.

• If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habbits?

I'm not at the moment but my Ex-Girlfriends liked to play on the PS3 and PS4 from time to time. 

• Do you play together and how is that?

We did. Most of the time Little Big Planet. But mostly they enjoyed chilling and watching me gaming. Or doing other things...

• Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

Not sure about this one. I think it is nice to share a Hobby, but of course it is also nice if they have their own Hobbys.

• Where are you on this?

Since I was lucky to date 'Gamer-Girls' it was quite enjoyable to share our Hobby. But like I said, nothing wrong with not sharing the same hobby (Don't know if I get this question correctly :D)

Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

I always had game systems in the house as a kid. My dad has always enjoyed technology of all kinds, and really got into games like Marble Madness, Gran Turismo, Star Fox, etc. My mom also really liked playing Tetris-like games (Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was her favorite). 

Unsurprisingly, all three of us kids (all girls) picked up on this hobby. A lot of our fights revolved around who got to play the gaming systems haha. My older sister hasn't been into gaming since high school. My younger sister has her gaming niches (really into Kingdom Hearts). I'm the one who really latched onto gaming, though.

Additionally, a majority of my friends growing up were boys, and they were also gamers. This definitely reinforced my enjoyment and exposure to gaming, and I was never told anything like "girls don't play games" (because I would have probably thrown sand at them or something next time we played outside). I spent a lot of time watching them play video games (I gave specific memories of watching Final Fantasy 8 and Ocarina of Time) and also playing a lot of MarioKart and Golden Eye when their parents insisted that we "take turns" (even though I was happy just watching the games).

If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habbits?

I fell out of gaming while I was in college, only playing games like Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, Wii Sports, or Guitar Hero if I was hanging out with people that wanted to play.

I got into a relationship right after college where the dude was a huge MMORPG player, so when he'd play with his guild, I'd play some older PS1-era games for nostalgia. Eventually he decided to buy a PS3 for Borderlands, and I got some titles for it as well. We broke up (because he had sociopathic qualities, narcissism, histrionic tendencies, and is a liar-liar-pants-on-fire).

However, I met my husband shortly after and he's all for me doing what makes me happy, and gaming makes me happy. He's quite an enabler in that regard.

Do you play together and how is that?

My husband has helped me out with some mini-games (the Genero-Zenero-Benero mini-game in FFIX was the most recent), and I did get Rayman Legends to play with him (which was a little fun, but I ended up spoiling it by yelling commands at him because I get a little too into it). Overall, however, I'm not into multiplayer or co-op, and he's not really into gaming.

We do go to arcades sometimes and play those ridiculous racing games, or the ones where you shoot dinosaurs/zombies. That's always fun.

Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

My husband always asks me what's going on in my video games; sometimes I think he does it to humor me, but sometimes he's genuinely interested. He also sometimes watches me play for a few minutes, and is generally amused by the bestiary in my JRPGs ( "Why do you need a 6-ft sword to defeat a butterfly?!"). 

He has expressed interest in VR gaming, so I'm waiting for him to decide which system he wants. When he gets it, I'll definitely be trying it out with him, though I have a feeling it'll give me motion sickness.

Where are you on this?

Overall, we have our hobbies that we do separately and also our hobbies that we do together. We both are interested in the "separate" hobbies (I know way more about blacksmithing than the average person even though I've never tried it), but it's totally fine to have things you do by yourself.

Edited by eigen-space

My dad had a SNES lying around that he barely played with so I ended up with it when I was four I think so that started me off, of course I then moved onto Mega Drive in the mid 90s. I didn't get properly into gaming until around the time PS2 came out. I started working and often didn't feel like going out after a shift so gaming became my go to thing to relax and it stayed that way for years. Over the last couple of years I've made more of an effort to get outside and socialize more so I'm pretty limited with the time I have to play so its dropped down in priority. 

Trophy hunting specifically I can trace back to GTA 3, that was the first game I reached 100% on and from then on I almost always made an effort to completely clear games. Even on Xbox when I wasn't aware that achievement/trophy hunting was a thing I'd still make that effort just for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. It wasn't until 2016 when I was back on PS that I stumbled on this site while going for the GTA IV 100% (in game, not trophies) that I realized there's entire communities dedicated to trophy hunting.

If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habits?

I'm in a relationship but it hasn't influenced my habits other than having less time to play which I don't mind. I look at it this way, I can replace my PS4, but I can't replace someone I love so she comes first, always. 

Do you play together and how is that?

Occasionally. Our favourite bar has it's own cinema where they show mostly old horror movies, but we check what's on before we go so we can bring her Vita along incase we don't like the movie :lol: Mostly we take turns on whatever she's been playing and try to earn a few trophies together while getting drunk. 

Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

My girlfriend used to call me "little boy" whenever I told her I was playing something but after a while she began to take a genuine interest which ended with her buying To the Moon and The Talos Principle on Steam, shortly afterwards she bought a Vita so she can trophy hunt too, a short time later she's the owner of four platinums :lol: Like I said above we'll play together sometimes which is great fun, I've definitely turned her around on this one :P 

Where are you on this?

I think it's great that we've found something else we can do together and talk about. We still have our own separate interests outside of gaming and other things we have in common so there's variety in our lives. Although it's true I prefer playing single player games, I do enjoy sharing my experiences with others, as well as reading about others experiences and what they're up to. 

• 3 months later...
  • Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

Definitely my aunt as far back as I can remember. Zelda  Ocarina of Time

• If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habits?

Married actually. ? For about a year I lost some mojo for it but things started to settle down and I just got back to it!

• Do you play together and how is that?

Dont starve starve together favorite game to play with the wifey ?

• Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers?

Definitely together because it makes us just that much closer 

• Like 1

My Dad, back in the 90s. One day he told me to sit down on a footstool he'd put in front of the TV, put a controller in my hand, and let me go for it. We still play video games together to this day! Although it's more along the lines of racing games and MMORPGs now. 

If you are in a relationship, has it influenced your gaming habbits?

My previous relationships have. I definitely branched out a lot in terms of genre because of one person I was with for three years. I wouldn't play MOBAs, shooters, etc if it weren't for them.  

Do you play together and how is that?

Don't play games with my current partner despite us both being gamers. It's not come up. We've pretty obvious differences in our game preferences though. I can't think of a single title one of us has mentioned in conversation that we've both played. 

Would you try to share the sense of amazement with your partner or would you rather have your hobby for yourself and your partner should have his/hers? 

Where are you on this?

No strong feelings on either of these Qs. Hobbies are hobbies. 

• Like 1

I'm only gonna answer the first question since the rest seem to be aimed towards people on a relationship, and I'm single. Plus the only answer I have is kind of a long story.

So

Q: Who introduced you to the wonders of this fantastic hobby?

A: It was a long time ago I'd say somewhere around the early 2000's. I was very young at the time, I forgot how old I was then exactly (I'll say around 7 years old). I was living in Peru in a time when my parents couldn't afford much and childhood was kinda dull. Most of my entertainment came from watching TV in channels like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, and I rarely played with toys (Hot Wheels and Bionicles primarily since those were like the only toys I had).

I wasn't the type to go outside and play soccer like the majority of kids, but I had friends who lived in the same apartment as I did that once in awhile one of them invited me and the rest to play in his house with him. Of course he was the only one of us to have a Nintendo 64 and we'd play multiplayer games like: Super Smash Bros, Mario Party 2, BattleTanx, Turok 3 and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Or once in awhile I would also hang out with him and see him play Star Fox 64 or Ocarina of Time while chatting.

Aside that I would also go to a club near my home where my mother had a membership for where they had a computer room with computer cabinets, I would get in one for a limited time (1 or 2 hours) and for a very low price, like 2 Soles or less (it might've costed more but I'm just retelling what I can remember). I would play browser games online or play on an emulator (which for some reason there was one installed on the computer) and play old games like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Another way I played games was when I'd go to some place around the beach houses where you were able to play games. It wasn't an arcade exactly, it was a place where they had TVs with PS1's and a bunch of games, where people would go there and play. (I believe you also had to pay to play for a limited time as well). The majority of people there would just play FIFA together (just like how when I was in the computer room in the club I would see kids older than me there play Counter Strike). In that place I came across a very special PS1 game series titled Crash Bandicoot (I believe the first one I played was Crash 2), ever since I played Crash 2 on the PS1 for the first time, I would go there whenever I had the chance so I could play more Crash Bandicoot, especially Crash 2.

Eventually I got an N64 and PS1, although the only games I had were Super Mario 64 on the N64 and Crash Bandicoot 2 on the PS1 (or were the only two games I was more focused on, maybe I had more games but I can't remember). My time with those games not only made me appreciate 3D platformers, but also my first love for video games that would soon increase in the future.

Then the GameCube became a thing, I would go to my friends to play Super Smash Bros Melee constantly, then I got a GameCube myself to play more Melee on my own and other games like Super Mario Sunshine and Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex, etc etc etc. (while I've also had a GameBoy Advanced but can't remember what I used to play on it)

Many years later I eventually left my friends and my old games. I moved back to Canada around 2006-2007. Since I didn't mentioned this in the beginning: I was born in Canada when my peruvian parents used to live there, but then they had to go back to Peru due to family issues and they took me and my sister with them when I was like 1 year old, which is why my childhood took place in Peru.

So I moved back to Canada, and there is when I got a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo DS, Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros Brawl were the shit (can't remember much of what I played on the DS aside some mario and sonic).

There I had a cousin I used to see time to time where he used to play his Xbox 360 a lot, and had some friends around him to play games like Halo 3 and Modern Warfare, and I played some with him too. From there I decided to make the jump from Nintendo's machine to Microsoft's machine and I got myself an Xbox 360, one of the first games I got on the 360 was a very special one for me, like how Crash Bandicoot 2 was on the PS1.

One of the first games I got on it was The Orange Box, which is a collection of 5 games in 1. One of the reason I got it in particular was because of how interesting and different the art style was for Team Fortress 2 unlike other shooters at the time. Ever since I played TF2 for the first time, I fell completely in love with it. It became a daily routine playing it, for a multiplayer game it was just that fun. (to this day I don't think I've spent as many hours in other games as I did with TF2) Not only that but it also got me into Half-Life and Portal which were also part of The Orange Box. Then around 2010 I got into PC gaming aside console Xbox 360 gaming (I was still mostly into console because that's where most of my online friends were at). I got into more shooters and other games made by Valve, for example I got into Counter Strike when I didn't get how it was as a kid. From then I stopped playing much on my Wii and DS and I decided to give them away to one of my younger cousins (I think only for the Wii, I might've sold my DS instead).

From then I got into different games both on console and PC based on research and word of mouth from friends. Those were pretty much my high school days for video games, game series like Halo, BioShock, Grand Theft Auto, Fable, Red Dead, Assassin's Creed, Fallout and Left 4 Dead were my thing, even Call of Duty, Battlefield and Gears of War. I played a lot of action games and shit on the 360, not only that but also a few RPGs, survival horrors and even more platformers even if they were small games. Speaking of smaller games, games like Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac got me into indie stuff which made me check out more of them afterwards. (thanks Humble Bundle).

From there my first time around college became my last years with my Xbox 360, one of the last games I played on the 360 before deciding to sell it was a little game called Dark Souls, so little that ended up impacting my influence in games overall. It just felt like something unlike anything I've played yet, with very little story going on in the background and so on. Other last games I remember playing on the console at the time were Red Dead Redemption and Halo 4. And although Red Dead Redemption was also great, there was something about Dark Souls that was very special for me and for some reason. Once I mastered it and finished it for the first time after 70 hours on my first playthrough, I felt the urge to play it again, a feeling I didn't had for other games in a very, very long time, especially for an RPG. After that not only Dark Souls made me appreciate RPGs like how Team Fortress 2 made me appreciate Shooters and Crash Bandicoot 2 made me appreciate platformers, but like those games Dark Souls has become one of my favorite games of all time, perhaps being in the number 1 spot.

Through the middle of college I sold my Xbox 360 and moved to PlayStation (PSVita, PS3 and PS4), and from there it's just history leading to today.

-

In short, I was influenced by gaming as a hobby on my own, and in a way by friends and family from childhood and teenagehood, going from Super Mario on the 64 to Halo on the 360. Not only I wish to thank developers like Naughty Dog, Valve and FromSoftware for making games that impacted my experience playing them, but for also inspiring me to find more games from different areas and respect the medium through out my years with this hobby based on my love for the games they made.

It really is a fantastic hobby, unlike playing sports. Fuck sports.

Edited by Crzy Minus
  • Like 2