Game thoughts?

Oobedoob S Benubi

Saw there wasn't a thread like this yet. What are everybody's thoughts on Celeste?

Just talking about the game itself, not the trophies that talk goes here:

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/57128-trophy-thoughts/

(Of course if part of the reason why you like/dislike the game is trophies, then go ahead and talk about them - just hope it's not the only part of the game that'll be mentioned)

I just bought it (on the Switch, because it seems like a cool game to play a bit of while on my summer holiday). I dismissed the initial reveal (it's €20 and I don't generally like 8-bit faux retro art) but the game seems to be getting near universal acclaim. Since I think platformers are cool and don't mind being challenged, I figured I'd take the risk and I bought it. Reviews made it seem like Super Meat Boy if it had a more serious story. I played the first ten minutes or so and from what I've seen, I probably won't be disappointed with this purchase.

So, who loved the game? Who hated it? Who thought it was mediocre? Any opinions in between? And most importantly: why?

Best game I've played in ages.

Loved everything from the style, to the level design, to the music. The level of challenge is spot on, and the structure and concept of some levels is fantastic. It's got a really charming story too. I'm not normally drawn to this type of game but was sceptical after IGN's 10/10 - it's worthy of that in my opinion.

Still listen to the soundtrack every now and then, highly recommended game.

I've played the first two chapters yesterday and I'm loving the game. At this point I'm still finding it easy enough that I'm wondering why assist mode would even be necessary, though it's probably going to get harder.

I need more hard-but-fair platformers. Luckily Shovel Knight is still getting one more campaign. I should be on the lookout for more games like these.

24 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Just finished the game, dying a total of 1283 times in the process.

Great game, I must say. Never felt like a burden to continue, always an honest challenge.

Is that a precise number, because if it is, that's a lot. :o But I guess it's normal in platformers. :) 

Edited by MMDE

14 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Is that a precise number, because of it is, that's a lot. :o 

The game helpfully keeps a tally.

It's seven chapters of unforgiving platforming, the challenge of which is bearable because it'll be clear what you should do and there are many save points (start of each new screen). Like Super Meat Boy and other platformers of this kind, death comes quick but respawns are near-instantaneous so it's a quick game of trial-and-error.

My final death count will be higher because apparently there's another chapter after the end credits.

I should note that if the difficulty seems too great, there's an assist mode that lets you alter settings, up to and including invincibility. My death count might have been less if I had fiddled with some settings, but since I love platformers I'd rather have the intended challenge.

Edit: should also note that I often went for the strawberries (challenge collectables) whenever I saw them, further upping my death count.

Edited by Cthulhu

58 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

The game helpfully keeps a tally.

It's seven chapters of unforgiving platforming, the challenge of which is bearable because it'll be clear what you should do and there are many save points (start of each new screen). Like Super Meat Boy and other platformers of this kind, death comes quick but respawns are near-instantaneous so it's a quick game of trial-and-error.

My final death count will be higher because apparently there's another chapter after the end credits.

I should note that if the difficulty seems too great, there's an assist mode that lets you alter settings, up to and including invincibility. My death count might have been less if I had fiddled with some settings, but since I love platformers I'd rather have the intended challenge.

Edit: should also note that I often went for the strawberries (challenge collectables) whenever I saw them, further upping my death count.

You mention Super Meat Boy, may wanna check out N++ and Fenix Furia as well. :) Oh, and I finally got around to do that Feist game. The last level, I speedrun that level way too many times. The last portion with the boss always screwed me on time. I actually got the exact time I was going to beat 2 times before I finally did it. I saved a recording of it, uploaded to youtube, just to have the composer of the soundtrack claim the ad revenue... -_- 

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

You mention Super Meat Boy, may wanna check out N++ and Fenix Furia as well. :) Oh, and I finally got around to do that Feist game. The last level, I speedrun that level way too many times. The last portion with the boss always screwed me on time. I actually got the exact time I was going to beat 2 times before I finally did it. I saved a recording of it, uploaded to youtube, just to have the composer of the soundtrack claim the ad revenue... -_- 

Then mute it and replace it with a public commons song.

Anyway, let's not forget the point of this thread: get Celeste!