DLC trophies' rarity is now based on who owns the DLC

Sly Ripper

This change seems reasonable enough given that there's now a "Show DLC" versus "Hide DLC" option on the trophy advisor.  However, it needs further demarcation since DLC certainly isn't an all-or-nothing type of thing.  I own Assassin's Creed III, but I don't own any Assassin's Creed III DLC (at least so far), so all of its DLC is just clutter on my list... but, meanwhile, I have the DLC for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (and some trophies to prove it) so it's quite useful for me to see its DLC on my advisor list in "Show DLC" mode.

That said, there actually needs to be even more demarcation than that.  I have a version of Batman Arkham City that came with all the DLC on disc.  I don't have the "Nightwing Revenge" trophy, and I seriously doubt that 99.79% of the people registered on here who own my version of the game do.  So that's a case where DLC that I technically have is _still_ cluttering my list.

I'm enough of a programmer to know that trying to implement a system to present DLC completion percentages into account in any meaningful way, with the information you have available to you, is an absolute nightmare.  The best suggestion I can offer is to allow some users to customize what DLC trophy packs are and are not displayed on his/her screen (and are or are not included in calculations) in "Show DLC" mode.  In my case, given the capability by you, I'd customize the Arkham City DLC to all be evaluated as one trophy pack, and I'd just hide all the Assassin's Creed III DLC information so that it didn't show up on my trophy advisor page at all.  (Then I could still look at where I stand with the trophies for the Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning DLC on the trophy advisor page without the clutter.)

Now, if my obviously not Ultra Rare Crysis 2 trophies (like "Can it run Crysis?" and "More than Human")  weren't suddenly showing up on my main profile page as Ultra Rare trophies, we'd be all set...

Edit: Quick note-- the Crysis 2 trophies problem has been fixed now.

Edited by Anthony_J_C

nice answer and very useful. I prefer the old style system, it let you see better how hard (in terms of money, time or difficulty) is to get the trophy...

Not neccessarly, because a lot of DLC trophies are easy but their percentage is extremely low because not many people own them. For example, there were a lot of Borderlands DLC that was a 25% (meaning it's uncommon) but a lot of the borderlands dlc is super easy which in this case, the percentage would not tell you the difficulty.

This new style takes a few of my rarest trophies, but i don't care, I get tired of seeing a bunch dlc trophies from the same game as my rarest trophies.

I don't get why people keep saying these trophies are difficult when it's a matter of whether people bought the DLC or not.

The DLC for Sleeping Dogs is a doddle, but if people don't buy it, therefore making the trophies rarer, has that made the trophies anymore difficult?  Of course not.

Also, if you apply the previous logic of there's 20,000 people who've played the game, so let's assume they all have the DLC for the purposes of rarity calcs, why not apply that logic to all the main games?

Bioshock Infinite has over 22,000 owners, are you saying the other almost 1,000,000 tags on the site also own it, but just haven't played it?

The fact that the site can tell if you've loaded a game or not, but not know if you've bought the DLC or not, isn't Sly's fault.

TrueAchievements use the exact same system for the 360.

• Like 3

If most people who own the DLC are trying to get 100%, shouldn't that mean those trophies aren't rare?

No because as donkey-er said, most people who go for the dlc are more skilled than the average trophy hunter, which is who the site is supposed to compare (imo, seeing as there's 1 million+ users). If I wanted an accurate representation of my skill vs high level gamers there's another site out there for that in which the community is much smaller and is filled with (mostly) higher level gamers. I prefer the way the rarity was calculated here over the other site. 

I'm not saying that most people who go for dlc trophies are more skilled but they're almost always more driven than the average trophy hunter which will drastically increase the % on dlc vs the main game. It's not a thing of people are more skilled because they're buying the dlc but if you look at who buys the most dlc, it's high level gamers who have more skill than the average gamer. As texasboi said, people should be rewarded for going the extra mile in many cases. True, you'll get stupid easy trophies that are sub 1% because of the massive player base like the AC trophies but this essentially ruins the rarity of all dlc trophies because even the incredibly difficult ones are now mostly just rare, uncommon or common. 

As I also said, this system is really only going halfway because so many older games have the dlc mixed in which means that if you're trying to eliminate dlc trophies being ultra rare, you're only doing it on newer games. 

Basically with the new system people gain a ton of common trophies and lose a ton of ultra rares. In the old system, people just had more ultra rare trophies than they possible deserved if you think that ultra rares should be based solely on difficulty. Again though, as Texasboi said there's more that into doing dlc trophies than regular trophies most of the time. Sure you'll get some cake ultra rares here in there but you'll also lose the rarity of every difficult dlc trophy you've ever done unless the dlc was mixed in with the game. 

I do also notice a lot of the people complaining are people who have gone from like 15 ultra rares down to like 3. I mean granted they still have a say and have every right to their opinion but if you look at who's opposing the new system it's mostly people who have devoted a lot more time, money and effort to gaming and are much higher trophy levels. Just saying...

• Like 4

Well damn there goes like 100 of my Ultra rares.

Terribad feature. All its gonna do is make people think everything is super easy and not even worth trying for.

It's crazy how 1 update can break a sites creditability :unsure:  

Edited by killerJAZZ420
  • Like 3

Yay, now my rarest trophies go back to being my proudly earned Trash Panic ones, not the mostly easy LBP2 Cross Control. I'm happy. Now if only the Trash Panic trophies could display in proper english rather than " ???????MainMode?HELL?????? ". Why DOES it do that Sly? Is it something Sony's end?

I don't see what all the fuss is about really. It makes absolute sense changing the way the dlc trophies were set up. It's only logical that the % takes only those into consideration that actually have the DLC, sure it's not perfect as it is at the moment, yet it is still more accurate than before.

Anyhow, it's just bloody numbers and statistics in the end. Last time I checked there's no one handing out cookies to those who have the lowest % ;).

Well damn there goes like 100 of my Ultra rares.

Terribad feature. All its gonna do is make people think everything is super easy and not even worth trying for.

It's crazy how 1 update can break a sites creditability :unsure:  

What are you talking about? It isn't really ultra rare when people don't own the DLC. take a popular game like Uncharted 2 or Red Dead Redemption. Lots of people don't own that DLC so by you having the trophies for it it automatically makes it Ultra Rare (when in essence it might be very easy to get).

Yes it isn't perfect, like you said people might just not be good enough to get the trophies so they sit at 0%, but we already don't count games that people have at 0% towards their completion rate so it isn't much different than that.

• Like 1

What are you talking about? It isn't really ultra rare when people don't own the DLC. take a popular game like Uncharted 2 or Red Dead Redemption. Lots of people don't own that DLC so by you having the trophies for it it automatically makes it Ultra Rare (when in essence it might be very easy to get).

Yes it isn't perfect, like you said people might just not be good enough to get the trophies so they sit at 0%, but we already don't count games that people have at 0% towards their completion rate so it isn't much different than that.

I understand you're post and am fine with what you're saying but it is very different then not counting games at 0% 

People buy DLC, its common, 

All in all theres plenty of games with DLC that have balls to the wall hard trophies yet the lack of sense that comes with this update is just a big FU to people who actually do care about %s.

The best way to look at this in my opinion is that in the old system everyone had more ultra rares and nothing was lost. Sure they weren't all accurate but they were somewhat inaccurate in a beneficial way. This new way is somewhat inaccurate in a negative way where people are losing multiple ultra rares and any hard work they've put into ultra rare dlc trophies is gone. I just think it's ridiculous that dlc trophies will never be ultra rare anymore unless they're mixed in with the user base of the main game. 

The way people should look at it is this is how many people have earned this trophy out of how many people have played the game not out of how many people have played the dlc. Games and dlc aren't separated to make 100% on the game, you need both to 100% the game. If you want 100% on the game, you often have to pay more and play more and you should be rewarded for doing so. 

What's really worse? Having more ultra rares when some of them are easy and likely wouldn't be ultra rare if they were part of the main game or having less ultra rares and having basically all the difficult dlc you've ever done be turned into uncommon or common trophies?