DLC trophies' rarity is now based on who owns the DLC

Sly Ripper

To add onto my last post.  Anybody who thinks the small percent of people such as myself who go the "extra mile" and invest the extra effort into obtaining DLC trophies enjoys doing it... has lost their minds.  I HATE DLC's with a passion and it's a reason i started boycotting such games since the whole UC3 debacle.  I for one had to go out and re-buy the UC3 disc used for $30 a year later when ND decided to drop 50 DLC trophies.  Then i had to turn around and buy the UC3 season pass for $30.  But wait it gets worse...  I had to "waste" 2 1/2 months on/off to complete the DLC trophy sets.  Sure it was my decision to do so, and yeah only a handful of the 50 trophies deserve it's rarity, but that type of effort is difficult, annoying, tedious, bullshit, whatever you wanna call it in itself in my opinion.

I remember the first time my 1st 100% game (Super StarDust HD) dropped it's percentage.  I was like wtf?  But, i paid the extra money and invested the extra time to get it back to 100%.  A few months later more of my games started dropping and i was like fuck Sony i'm not spending extra money to have my games 100%.  To make a long story short, it took me about 2 to 2 1/2 years to finally decide to challenge myself to go back, re-buy games, buy DLC's and "waste" extra time trying to get back my 100%'s.  It absolutely was hell and it truly f'n sucked doing it when i could have bought and played "new" games instead, but the dreaded OCD was going haywire.  Though, once again it was my decision!  So i understand and get why people who don't go the "extra mile" in doing such tedious tasks DLC's presents if that isn't their cup of tea. (Wish i could have the same mentality to be honest)

Another example of going the "extra mile" would be to look at the top 2 teams going neck and neck at each other at the moment.  View their "overall" lists and you decide which one stands out above the other.  To me that is yet a true example of what going the "extra mile" will do for your list.  Instead, to me it "seems" members of the site are trying to figure out loopholes to avoid the bullshit Sony does with it's trophy system by complaining to psnp management about their completion rates/rarity trophies.  I say "you" should do something about it yourself, if it concerns you that much like the rest of the people who do.  As always i say this with respect of other people views/opinions in mind.

Anyways, like i said before this implement affects a ton of people both ways.  So, in an effort to give constructive feedback to the original OP.  Is there anyway the site could cater to both sides(non active members included such as myself) with like a filter on people's profile page?  Or even a breakdown of rarity DLC trophies as a whole like it used to be by default, but with tweeks such as which trophies are core game and which are DLC that includes just those DLC owners?  I just feel like how others have stated that the "new model" doesn't accurately display it's rarity since people who buy DLC are usually the people who want the DLC trophies anyways and are completionists!  Even though the DLC rarity stats are skewed it still displays it more accurately with the "old model" because at the end of the day... IT IS WHAT IT IS!  As far as Sony adding DLC trophies to your trophy lists, so it has to be accounted for in a way which shows "everyone"! Regardless if people decided to buy and earn the DLC trophies or not.  

Whatever transpires... awesome site, and thanks to the community for allowing me to voice "my" opinions every blue moon.  Not a big forum guy, but i'm definitely a fan of the site from a distance!   Keep up the great work.  (Now only if we can land Sly a job with Sony's creative trophy milestone/statistics idea's team)  B)

• Like 3

Aww, now all the trophies on Sonic Adventure DX have gone from around <5% to >80% rarity. And yet, the trophies for the original game (All of which, btw, are required to even access DX content), are mostly under 10.5%. Two of them are my two rarest trophies.

Edited by madbuk

Many of them are difficult. One of my hardest trophies was "Heretic" from the Warhammer 40k game. Only 200 people have the trophy and its now at 30%, which is pretty absurd and obviously skewed more than it was before.

How is that bad...only 200 people had it out of about 650 who had the DLC meaning it's not that rare

@Kiesmaarwa/Roughdawg - What you're not taking into account is the people that do not buy the DLC because they know it will be more difficult than what they want to sign up for.  I'd agree the numbers were inflated before, but this swung the pendulum in the completely opposite direction. 

Trophy percentages are usually indicative of trophy difficulty, but that's not the case now with DLC.  With this change, it's impossible to know if a DLC is difficult based on the percentages.  You're better off throwing darts at a dartboard.

Also, what happens when a DLC has only 1 trophy?  It shows at 100%... WTF?

• Like 1

@Kiesmaarwa/Roughdawg - What you're not taking into account is the people that do not buy the DLC because they know it will be more difficult than what they want to sign up for.  I'd agree the numbers were inflated before, but this swung the pendulum in the completely opposite direction. 

This is what I was saying. The way it was before it was unbalanced but favourable because everyone had more ultra rares. The way it is now is unbalanced in a way that not only takes away ultra rares but turns them into commons. 

At this point you're better to just use ******************** (I seriously can't mention another site? Psntrophyleaders dot com for anyone wondering) because that site has a smaller community and they're mostly higher level trophy hunters. If you're only going to compare dlc trophies to the people who have the dedication to get them, then you're pretty much just comparing yourself to the most driven and determined trophy hunters. I understand some people may like a challenge but very, very few if any games will ever have ultra rare dlc anymore. If people are going to go out and spend extra money on a game there's going to be more than 5/100 of em that will get the trophies. 

Also, any update on what's happening with older games that have dlc mixed into the game's core trophies? Are they just staying like that? 

Edited by mattybell2117

I find that the decision to buy DLC or not is usually based on how expensive the DLC is + what content you get in return. The group of people who avoid DLC solely because it is too hard, is quite small. If people really would want to play the DLC, they'd buy it regardless of the trophies. Besides, the people who actually care about obtaining all the trophies are an even bigger minority.

Does it matter whether it shows 100%, because everyone with the DLC obtained the trophy (based on total ppl who have bought the DLC & earned the trophy) or if it shows 1%, because some ppl who bought the DLC obtained it (based on all people who have the actual game)? Both numbers are inaccurate and not suitable for deciding whether or not the trophy is difficult.

I personally think people are a little upset because they are realizing those super rare trophies they earned were not as good as they thought.

I respect your opinion, but i have to disagree with you guys!  Anybody, who tackles difficult trophies knows the difference between what should and shouldn't be considered "rare".  You have to be an idiot not to know the difference.  Just like having hundreds of platinums with only a few respectable one's is considered to be just stat padding/whoring, but everyone gets it.  With that being said from a completionist stand point, going for DLC trophies should be rewarded regardless of the skill it takes.  The percentages should also be factored in with everyone who has played said game with said DLC trophy list, but somehow not everyone gets this?  Hell 95% of all PS3 games anybody can platinum, but that percentage drastically drops when DLC trophies hit and now you're tasked with obtaining the coveted 100%.  What % of X amount of game plat owners are gonna put the extra effort into obtaining the coveted 100%?  Big Difference!  So, i personally think that the DLC trophies deserve whatever rarity they get.  Regardless if it's extremely easy or not.  (Which "we" as a community should understand the difference as to why it has such rarity)

Now if you're are referring to rarity just on a skill level perspective per game, then that's a bit skewed as well.  Most Ultra Rare Plats shouldn't even be considered that, especially when trophy hunters easily boost away, the game's easy but takes stupid amount of hours, not many people have played said game, or it takes multiple peripherals most people won't go out and buy.  What's funny to me is the fact that "most" games that people consider "difficult" everyone seems to have obtained the plat or yet everyone shy's away from it or plays said game on a dummy account even if they truly want the game.  Thus, you'll never have an accurate rarity on "any" of the trophies in my opinion, because only the people who challenge themselves will be playing such games.  Ultimately making said "difficult" game seem not so difficult according to statistics.  In my opinion it basically comes down to just the way the "entire" trophy community views/calculates/measures/respects/grades trophy collections and statistics.  

Sly - Why not just make a toggle button for the "Non-DLC Seekers" here to see the trophies how they want to see them then?  Fundamentally, this change is a slap in the face to people who are dedicated enough to finish DLC, whether difficult or not.

How is it a false sense of entitlement when many of these people have paid to become a Premium member here?  And also, why change it in the first place, because of a few people complaining (as you stated, "whiny little bitches") who don't actually finish DLC's?

Some DLC's are indeed difficult, go try It's In The Trial and get back to me in a month when you've finished it.

What's interesting to me, is that I haven't seen any high level trophy hunters (ie. over 100 plats) or completionists (besides eburk, who's a mod) that have agreed with this change.  And Sly, thanks again for letting us voice our opinion here.  I sincerely hope that this change isn't permanent.

Funny that the trophy that you picked out there as an example It's in The trial is still classed as an ultra rare trophy 0.82%. A true reflection of a DLC trophy that is REALLY rare :) 

• Like 1

Funny that the trophy that you picked out there as an example It's in The trial is still classed as an ultra rare trophy 0.82%. A true reflection of a DLC trophy that is REALLY rare :)

In that case the DLC isn't seperated from the game, the ones that have the DLC still mixed in the main trophy list are safe.

Well, this unfolded about how I expected.

The site has essentially traded overvalued easy trophies for undervalued hard trophies.  I can see why that would bother people.  It really comes down to whether you are only interested in rarity, or you want to know a trophies' difficulty.  The previous system is the best indication of rarity, this new system better approximates difficulty, although it would do a better job of it if we somehow had the purchase history from Sony, as it would give better rarity for hard DLC packs that are hard to "break into" (get a trophy in).

• Like 1

Cool update. But on y profile page DLC trophies are still in my top five rarest. When I look at the game the rarity is in the 90% for the Scott Pilgrim Wallace DLC, but on my page the tropies show as less than 1%. Is this going to be updated later?

Cool update. But on my profile page DLC trophies are still in my top five rarest. When I look at the game the rarity is in the 90% for the Scott Pilgrim Wallace DLC, but on my page the tropies show as less than 1%. Is this going to be updated later?

I don't get it. What is different?

My Capcom Arcade Cabinet still says 3 for 37, shouldn't it say 3 for 14 since i don't own any DLC?

Same as with Mafia 2. I don't own any of the DLC. 

Also shouldn't my Completion % be higher if it isn't counting the DLC i don't own? That hasn't changed.

• Like 1

HA ya, this new system perfectly reflects the difficulty of dlc trophies. Go do Dishonored's 14% dlc trophy or some of the Payday trophies that are all 40% or higher. If they're true reflections of their difficulty you should be able to get em no problem. 

When I just viewed my profile, I was like "What the hell happend to all my ultra-rare Skyrim trophies?". Then I saw this forum.

I'm not gonna go on and on about it being good or bad. It's just a change that we have to get used to.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's related, but my Batman AC DLC trophies turned into some of the easiest ones I ever earned. 0.15% of people earned the trophy for getting the GOAT in Fallout 3? Yeah right.

EDIT: Looks like it fixed itself after I updated my card.

Edited by TehCro