Warning: Naturalist is broken/buggy (work around found)

eGEORGE__

In the questline for the Naturalist trophy you have to collect turtle eggs before the winter.   A bug is causing the eggs to randomly disappear.  I've been in touch with the game dev and they think it's a bug.

While playing around with previous saves I've been able to force some eggs to spawn, but when some spawn, others disappear.

I'd avoid this one until more is known. I'll update when I get more info from the dev.

Edit as of 5/18

I got an email from the dev saying the turtle eggs are glitched and require to be picked up in a certain order starting with the egg set closest to where the fishing pole is found. Then they need to be gathered in succession working clockwise around the pond. Also you should not save the game while you're attempting to do this. I tried this and I was able to unlock the Naturalists trophy and the plat. He added that they are going to try to fix this by with the next patch so you can just wait if you don't want to deal with it.

Edited by eGEORGE_
  • Like 1

Got a response from the dev and they said it sounds like a bug. Followed by saying a patch is in the works and they hope this can get adressed in that patch release. However, the patch date is TBD.

It's worth noting that it seems some people have unlocked the trophy according to the PlayStation stats tracker.  It's showing 0.6% as of the time of this post.  So there may be some type of work around...

The one giving me problems is located in Long Cove. I saw it once but when I grabbed it the other spawn locations disappeared.  I made a map of the egg spawns if anyone I interested in it (I emailed it to the devs and they confirmed it was correct)

The game is timed due to the seasons mechanic. I believe one entire run is 6 hours. The game has a multiple save file function so you can make a save and then sit idle in town and reload.  Or save when you have enough money, pay your taxes  or family bills then reload to get your money back.

Other things I found.

The Walden millionaire isn't $100 at one time. So you can buy things in the general store if you want.

For the walking miles trophy I couldn't figure out if it was saved to one file or not.  I did unlock it during winter though where you can skate on the pond a move much faster. 

The abolitionist trophy is can be missed because you have to pick up a letter from Alcott in the morning and make the delivery by nightfall.  If you don't make it on time you will miss the trophy.

After you complete the full year, you can continue your game in a second year to wrap up any quest trophies that aren't complete.

You kinda need to do two runs because some quests are tied to doing things in town.  For example, the manuscripts need to be mailed at the post office, one of that naturalist quest pieces requires move which I found next to the general store, and the abolitionist quest requires you to mail an item. Conversely, hermit requires you to never enter town.  

I have my turtle egg map saved to my phone. I'm not quite sure how to upload it to the forum. I guess I have to host somewhere like imgur then link?

• Like 1

Yes actually. I started a new game and did ran the Naturalist quest back to the egg portion of the quest.  Once you know where the animal spawns are,  you can get run through the quest in about 20-30 minutes. 

I created a save file before I picked up the letter for accepting the egg task so I could retry it as much as needed.

Here is the map I made for the egg spawns.

https://m.imgur.com/a/lfM0iV6

• Like 4

There are smaller ponds around the perimeter of Walden Pond that minks run around. (The are the smaller dark circles on the map.) If you run counter clockwise around the pond from the starting cabin, the first little pond has a mink in it.

I was able to consistently get the mink to spawn when I would create new save files to test out the egg glitch. Also note that some animals don't spawn during the winter.  You can check that list in Emerson's library using the animal book.

Follow up with me if you still aren't having luck and I can mark the map and reupload to imgur.

Thx.  They are there in the Spring (not Winter...I thought "snow white mink"...).  Tried for eggs but didn't read your warning carefully, and last one wasn't there.  Will try again later, taking your notes into account.  Thx again for sharing your knowledge and congrats on the plat.

The advice for Naturalist was very helpful, thanks eGEORGE_ !

Did any of you run into a bug during winter, where picking up things from the bottom end of the bed stalled the game? I think I have missed Alcott's mission on two playthroughs now because I can't pick up a letter he leaves. But there is one arrowhead in particular that kills the game every time. I just avoid it until winter passes and it's gone.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2018 at 4:27 PM, eGEORGE_ said:

The abolitionist trophy is can be missed because you have to pick up a letter from Alcott in the morning and make the delivery by nightfall.  If you don't make it on time you will miss the trophy.

Do you need to do multiple Alcott missions for the abolitionist trophy? I got the initial letter telling me there'd be instructions following in the next morning. Sure enough, the next day there was a package and I delivered it to the shack near the RR tracks. The day after, I got a congratulatory letter from Alcott saying it was a success, but no trophy popped. Any help would be appreciated. 

EDIT: Nevermind. I see there are multiple missions for Alcott and the abolitionist trophy.

Edited by PerryToxteth

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/18/2018 at 3:27 PM, eGEORGE_ said:

After you complete the full year, you can continue your game in a second year to wrap up any quest trophies that aren't complete.

Do you recall if Surveyor and Naturalist can still be completed during the second year?

I also have no idea what triggers being asked to send manuscripts to Greeley for Published Author. I'm already in winter (on a second playthrough-- I first focused on getting the ones that required that you not go to town) and the only manuscript I've been asked to send is the one on Slavery which Alcott requested to be sent.

Also, how does one go to jail for Activist? It's a pretty commonly-achieved trophy, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:03 PM, siren2010 said:

How to get the trophy good friend, at what time you have to collect the toys and these would be, son 5 toys?

During one of the winter seasons (I believe midwinter), you'll be able to pick up the toys at Emerson's house to achieve this trophy.

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

Do you recall if Surveyor and Naturalist can still be completed during the second year?

I also have no idea what triggers being asked to send manuscripts to Greeley for Published Author. I'm already in winter (on a second playthrough-- I first focused on getting the ones that required that you not go to town) and the only manuscript I've been asked to send is the one on Slavery which Alcott requested to be sent.

Also, how does one go to jail for Activist? It's a pretty commonly-achieved trophy, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

I have just started my 2nd year at the cabin and there is a surveying job at the General Store. Also, I have a number of fish to catch still for the Doctor. As for the manuscripts, there is mail at the Post Office to read and a manuscript to pick up at the family house.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roccolou said:

I have just started my 2nd year at the cabin and there is a surveying job at the General Store. Also, I have a number of fish to catch still for the Doctor. As for the manuscripts, there is mail at the Post Office to read and a manuscript to pick up at the family house.

Thank you! I only managed to get to the second Agassiz quest because I can't find any mice.... do you happen to remember where you got those?

Thank you! I only managed to get to the second Agassiz quest because I can't find any mice.... do you happen to remember where you got those?

Mice are in town. Between the general store and house.

I can give guidance with Greeley but need to pull up the game real quick to review. Greeley should be done in the first year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Mice are in town. Between the general store and house.

I can give guidance with Greeley but need to pull up the game real quick to review. Greeley should be done in the first year. 

I was never able to find them there (kept looking in town based on the description in Emerson's book)... eventually found them last night on the path between the bean field and Concord.

Thanks for checking on Greeley. Any idea on Activist? Those are the two that I've been given no indication on by the game.

43 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I was never able to find them there (kept looking in town based on the description in Emerson's book)... eventually found them last night on the path between the bean field and Concord.

Thanks for checking on Greeley. Any idea on Activist? Those are the two that I've been given no indication on by the game.

- Activist occurs when you are given a notice that your taxes are due. Don't pay them and eventually you'll walk into town and automatically end up in jail.

- Greeley's tasks begin in the post office. He will send you mail in one of the P.O. boxes. When he asks for manuscripts, go to your desk in the house in town and grab them. Then, walk back to post office and mail them. The final task is to travel to Boston for a lecture and you'll need to buy a suit so don't spend all your money.

- How quickly did Sailor pop for you? I have done dozens of boat rides and couldn't get it to unlock. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

- Activist occurs when you are given a notice that your taxes are due. Don't pay them and eventually you'll walk into town and automatically end up in jail.

- Greeley's tasks begin in the post office. He will send you mail in one of the P.O. boxes. When he asks for manuscripts, go to your desk in the house in town and grab them. Then, walk back to post office and mail them. The final task is to travel to Boston for a lecture and you'll need to buy a suit so don't spend all your money.

- How quickly did Sailor pop for you? I have done dozens of boat rides and couldn't get it to unlock. 

Do you know at approximately what point Greeley asks for manuscripts? I'm in late winter and haven't gotten anything from Greeley in the mailbox (only Agassiz and a couple misc things)... I have seen a manuscript or two on the desk in the Concord house, but it never allowed me to pick them up, only read them.

For Sailor, I had to take a couple boat rides during my second year of my first play through. I believe that going to the center of the lake and back to land counts as one trip since the trophy popped for me after I had departed from the center of the lake. It did seem like it took a while to pop, but I'm not sure if it's just because the boat rides are long and tedious or if it's because the count is off.

• Like 1

Do you know at approximately what point Greeley asks for manuscripts? I'm in late winter and haven't gotten anything from Greeley in the mailbox (only Agassiz and a couple misc things)... I have seen a manuscript or two on the desk in the Concord house, but it never allowed me to pick them up, only read them.

Well, apparently the reason I wasn't trigger these is because I neglected to pick up arrowheads. Ooops.
There's one right in front of the mailboxes that triggers the Greeley stuff and one that's between the post office and the railroad exit that triggers the Activist one.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

So I haven't gotten the Self-reliant trophy to pop, mainly since it's my 2nd play through, this time without ever going to the general store. Do you have to select "Leave Walden Pond" for it to register after the 1st year passes?

Also, does the Hermit trophy pop once the 1st year passes and you've never entered town? Or are you never supposed to enter town, even in the 2nd year...?

I read that the Abolitionist trophy can be done without entering the town for all the deliveries and after Hermit pops, you can drop off the manuscript to complete all Alcott's things... Is that true?

Some help would be greatly appreciated. :)

@Hoarse08, Hermit and Self-Reliant should pop on your last day of the first year if you never went into town, so it should happen before you're even given the option to stay for a second year or leave. If you didn't decide to do Self-Reliant and Hermit at the same time, if you bought ANYTHING from the store (paying off father's debts, paying off your taxes, buying the suit for the Boston lecture, or buying any items) Self-Reliant won't pop.

Not sure about doing Abolitionist that way though. Might work... can't remember when I received the letter from Alcott saying that he was disappointed for not sending the transcript.

Ahh, I had a feeling that paying off bills and taxes would count against it Self reliant. Thankfully, I did all else in my 1st run. Thank you so much. :)

As for Abolitionist, the 3rd request I received was about mailing the manuscript, which didn't have a specified time to drop off (like all his other requests) and the objective never left my To do list, even though I'm on my 4th delivery for Alcott (5th request in total so far).

No disappointment letter on it so far but I'll monitor and see how it goes. I made a separate save for when I 1st received the manuscript to post so if it fails, I'll jump back there.