Warning: Naturalist is broken/buggy (work around found)

eGEORGE__

10 hours ago, eigen-space said:

@Hoarse08, Hermit and Self-Reliant should pop on your last day of the first year if you never went into town, so it should happen before you're even given the option to stay for a second year or leave. If you didn't decide to do Self-Reliant and Hermit at the same time, if you bought ANYTHING from the store (paying off father's debts, paying off your taxes, buying the suit for the Boston lecture, or buying any items) Self-Reliant won't pop.

Not sure about doing Abolitionist that way though. Might work... can't remember when I received the letter from Alcott saying that he was disappointed for not sending the transcript.

Eigen-space,

Congrats on getting your Walden platinum.  I gotta ask how you got the Sojourner trophy.  Was is a cumulative 50 miles through multiple playthroughs? Or did you just keep walking in one game until it popped? 

13 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Eigen-space,

Congrats on getting your Walden platinum.  I gotta ask how you got the Sojourner trophy.  Was is a cumulative 50 miles through multiple playthroughs? Or did you just keep walking in one game until it popped? 

Hello,

I can't say for multiple play throughs for Sojourner but I got mine in a single play through wayyyyyy after completing the 1st year, doing all the tasks I missed, etc.

35 minutes ago, Hoarse08 said:

Hello,

I can't say for multiple play throughs for Sojourner but I got mine in a single play through wayyyyyy after completing the 1st year, doing all the tasks I missed, etc.

Thanks for the answer.  I guess I will try again. I played into a second winter on one playthrough and skated my A__ off but couldn't get the trophy to unlock. 

58 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Eigen-space,

I got it toward the end of my second playthrough, so I believe it's cumulative. I definitely didn't walk all that during the second playthrough alone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eigen-space said:

@Hoarse08, Hermit and Self-Reliant should pop on your last day of the first year if you never went into town, so it should happen before you're even given the option to stay for a second year or leave. If you didn't decide to do Self-Reliant and Hermit at the same time, if you bought ANYTHING from the store (paying off father's debts, paying off your taxes, buying the suit for the Boston lecture, or buying any items) Self-Reliant won't pop.

Not sure about doing Abolitionist that way though. Might work... can't remember when I received the letter from Alcott saying that he was disappointed for not sending the transcript.

So for Abolitionist, it worked doing Hermit along with it. On the final day of the 1st year Hermit popped and then I went directly to town, delivering the manuscript to the Liberator at the post office. Abolitionist popped instantly upon putting it in the outpost box. I suggest doing both trophies together, simply because you have to stick to the cabin throughout the 1st year every day to be on the lookout for Alcott's other 4 missions that have to all be done before nightfall.

Got me the platinum! ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks everyone for all the helpful info, hard to find anything on this game online. A few comments/tips having just completed the platinum:

- The clockwise approach on turtle eggs for Naturalist worked for me, and it was split across two years! Thanks so much for the map, and to clarify, I started with the eggs at the location directly east of the cabin on the north shore. I still had two nests left when they disappeared in Early Fall. Thought I was screwed, but the remaining eggs were there the next year in Late Spring and the trophy popped woo-hoo!

- Can confirm there are two locations for mice, I collected one by the grocery store and two on the path going uphill from the bean field toward Concord. For a red fox, head down the train tracks south from Concord. You’ll see them on a couple of the surveying jobs too.

- Can also confirm I popped Hermit at the end of my first year and popped Abolitionist by going straight to the Concord post office to mail the article the same day. Yay!

- Was confused on how to get thrown into jail for the Activist trophy, but you have to pick up the arrowhead toward the main part of town (left when exiting the post office) when you owe back taxes, and you are immediately thrown in jail for one night. Or, exit through the fence on that side and the same thing happens.

- The Transcendentalist and Surveyor trophies both glitched on me, I think because I was using save files. Second run through focused just on those using only the Autosave file and they popped. I RECOMMEND NOT USING SAVE FILES IN THIS GAME. Sorry for shouting lol.

- The second playthrough was much easier, because I could immediately go to Concord. The Thoreau family house has food and clean clothing almost every day that reduces the amount of time wasted gathering food and mending clothes.

- For the Millionaire trophy, keep replanting and tending your bean fields through Fall (WEED DAYS 2 AND 3, HARVEST DAY 6 according to the Farmer's Almanac in Emerson's house), harvest them AFTER filling up on food so they convert to cash, and turn in manuscripts to Horace Greeley for the biggest payouts.

- To pop Published Author, you will need to buy a Fashionable Suit for $21 and place the last manuscript from the family home in the Outgoing Mailbox to trigger the speech in Boston. You do receive $20 for the lecture, making it almost a wash, but that $20 applies toward the Walden Millionaire trophy so all good!

- You don’t need to waste money on the Sturdy Suit! While it does greatly reduce the frequency you need to mend your clothes, you get it for FREE as one of your Christmas presents (which I picked up at the family home after popping the Scrooge trophy).

- Don't waste money on items that only give you a one-time temporary boost. Do buy, when you have enough cash, food jars to avoid replenishing every time you blink, the woodshed to do the same with supplies, and the cooking stove to boost durability of your cabin and reduce the frequency of repairs. Very important when going for the Sojourner trophy to maximize time on the ice!

- Speaking of which, the Saunterer trophy (20 miles) didn't pop until early the second year for me, even though I skated my ass off on the pond in Winter. Concerned, I skated my ass off even more the second year (after upgrades so I could spend more time on the ice) and Sojourner (50 miles) thankfully popped in Late Fall. Phew!

- You can't die, and all your objectives are marked on the map with a red "X" for most missions, a green "$" for the surveying missions (which you pick up on the message board in the post office in Concord) and other money making activities like at Emerson's house and chopping wood, and a flower icon for the Sophia missions (you have to visit your family home to initiate these).

- Don't understand the confusion on Sailor (20 boat rides), it's, um, 20 boat rides from the time you board to the time you disembark. And there is nothing in between, trust me. I pushed every button. However, after 20 long (guess there were no motorboats back then ha ha) boat rides, it popped.

- To fish, you have to discover the first fishing pole east of your cabin on the north shore. And fishing is a great way to replenish food. A word of warning, if you buy the upgraded fishing equipment (at least the reel which is the lower priced option), it definitely increases your chance of catching a fish but wears out quickly so is temporary. Caveat emptor!

- Use fires to replenish stamina so you can “run” as much as possible (hold R1 or L1) and learn where food is in the various seasons. Winter is the most problematic, since there is no fishing and very limited plants you can pick for food. Fortunately, there is one of those plants conveniently near your cabin behind the first grove of trees off the path toward the bean field. If you can go to Concord, the food on the windowsill in your family home is a godsend, I just woke up there every day when I could. Plus, with the food jars you have enough capacity to last most of a day.

- One final note, the game doesn't end after two years if you stay in Walden Pond, it keeps going so you have all the time you need to finish up...

Overall, a very relaxing game, as long as you turn the music audio down so it doesn't get on your nerves ha ha. With a few changes in mechanics (two-part LONG boat rides, endlessly grabbing food to fill your meter, having the stamina of a 92-year old, etc. etc.) and trophies not unlocking when they should, could have been a great game. Still glad I played it.

Hope that helps, and happy to answer any questions if I can.

Edited by terragreen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished my second playthrough, no Hermit. Is it supposed to pop after winter, or after spring? I know I didn't enter town at all, does it count against you if you visit Emerson's house? Might have to play through a third time, going to give it a couple more in-game days to see if it pops. 

Edit: never mind! popped the very next morning. 

Edited by TheLord_HUMUNGUS
  • Like 1