PS4 Internet Issues

BIOHAZARD-R-US

So prefacing this with the knowledge that the PS4 internal network antenna is kinda trash and incredibly outdated even before launch, with no support for 5Ghz wifi. My internet connection speeds for download is about 120Mbps, and upload is 12.2Mbps, with Ping to the nearest test server of 11ms. I have 2 PS4s, one from launch and the WW2 Slim. The launch model gets 40-48Mbps Download and 7-12Mbps Upload. I chalk this up to the crappy antenna, but then my WW2 system only gets 24-30Mbps Download, and at most 100Kbps upload, with some rarities around 500Kbps. The two systems are right next to each other, and never running at the same time. I did 2 connection tests between both systems, one on first system, one on second, again on first, again on second. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to use an ethernet cable, cuz my router is about 50-60ft away down the hall. Signal strength after all 4 tests was 100%, and never drops below 98%. Anyone guess or know why theres such a difference between the two systems' connection speeds, and why the much older one is getting way better results?

While your signal strength may be high as that is testing the signal to the router, it does not always correlate to accurate internet speeds.. Having your router be 50-60 ft away from your consoles you are def losing some speed as that is quite the distance for a wireless connection to maintain optimal download and upload speeds. Have you tested other devices from the same distance aside from your PS4's to get a better baseline of the loss of speed. If not try plugging in the PS4's closer to the router and run another speed test from there to further your baseline understanding. How far is the cable line coming in to your residence from the router? Hardlined or not if your router is a significant distance away your already getting a chopped down connection before the router is even in play. My cable line comes in about 12 feet from where my router is set up (i ran the wires through the wall) and my speeds were not optimal. Had the ISP come out and place a amplifier on the wall and that resolved the issue. Networking is tricky and many variables come into play, the wireless antennae of the PS4 is not great I agree but I am not 100% sure if that is sole reason for your speed issues.

Also if you are in a heavily populated area with many routers within close proximity (apartment complex and such) that can interfere with bandwidth significantly. Also I would ensure that you password protect your network to ensure nobody else is hopping on without your knowledge and impacting your bandwidth.

The desktop computer I tested to get 120Mbps is a couple feet further from the router than my PS4s. I have an iMac late 2013 21.5" desktop, and tested at speedtest.net. 3 tests on the site warranted a Download of 119.1-120.8Mbps and Upload of 11.9-12.4Mbps. No other devices were powered on and actively using wifi at the time of every test across PS4s and computer. Network is password protected with a 16 character password of the whole gambit of characters allowed, WPAS-2 64-bit I believe. Don't see any unauthorized devices in the connection history.