How much do the DLC and sidequest help towards collecting all items?

QuentinCle95

I'm in my first playthrough now, and having read the trophy guide on Playstationtrophies, I'm unsure as to whether to buy the DLC for this game. Someone here who can tell me how many hours of difference that DLC makes in farming all the materials for the trophy to upgrade all weapons? (And where I can access this DLC f I buy it?) 

Also, I'm still on playthrough 1, but already getting close to the 30 sidequests required for trophies. I wasn't planning on doing all sidequests, since so many of them seem to be meaningless fetch-quests. Are there certain sidequests I should look out for from here on out that grant some of these rare materials somehow? (Or certain quests that you recommend because they're interesting?)

Thanks in advance! :)

I made a separate save at the beginning after the first quest and went on to do the side quests and then reverted back to the previous save so I could get the light speed trophy. I wouldn't say many of the side quests are interesting, I enjoyed the ones that took you to the aerie etc and although boring, i liked fishing for those side quests. I loved the music in the game from all the areas so I didn't mind the mindless nature of the Side stuff. 

The DLC has an area or two that is quite a bit more productive for a lot of items for upgrading. Things like Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold Ores and D.Steels etc I found it worth having as opposed to not, hope this helps your decision.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TOAST13TOA5T said:

The DLC has an area or two that is quite a bit more productive for a lot of items for upgrading. Things like Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold Ores and D.Steels etc I found it worth having as opposed to not, hope this helps your decision.

Could you give an estimate on how many hours of main-game grinding you saved by doing the DLC? For instance, would you say that getting all the items the DLC contains, by grinding in the main game, would take 5x as long as a DLC playthrough? 

I've done Nier on both the PS3 and 360, PS3 I did with the DLC and 360 without. I'd say in total it saved me around 10 or more hours (probably more) WITH it. Instead of waiting and grinding for enemy drops etc with the standard game, you are basically running through the DLC area breaking boxes with rare drops available from them, then you throw yourself off a bridge a few times and when you start back at your House, you have all the items and can run it again to gain more, even the way I've worded it you can probably guess it saves a good chunk of time. 

This is all from memory btw it could save more time, but I thought it'd be best to let you know rather than not get an answer ;). If the money's expendable to you I'd do it, but it's not necessary if you can't. Just an FYI the DLC needed to be bought through the game for me, it wasn't on the store, might be the same for you. In case you cannae find it.

Edited by TOAST13TOA5T
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TOAST13TOA5T said:

I've done Nier on both the PS3 and 360, PS3 I did with the DLC and 360 without. I'd say in total it saved me around 10 or more hours (probably more) WITH it. Instead of waiting and grinding for enemy drops etc with the standard game, you are basically running through the DLC area breaking boxes with rare drops available from them, then you throw yourself off a bridge a few times and when you start back at your House, you have all the items and can run it again to gain more, even the way I've worded it you can probably guess it saves a good chunk of time. 

This is all from memory btw it could save more time, but I thought it'd be best to let you know rather than not get an answer ;). If the money's expendable to you I'd do it, but it's not necessary if you can't. Just an FYI the DLC needed to be bought through the game for me, it wasn't on the store, might be the same for you. In case you cannae find it.

Thanks for your reply! Based on your reply, I've decided to buy the DLC, since I want to waste as little time on grinding as possible.

Indeed, it has to be bought through the game, I noticed that too. Could you also tell me how to access the DLC? I can't seem to find that info. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the annoying part where I have to grind to get all of the weapon upgrades. I do have the DLC and decided to play the game normally instead of speed running it on my first playthrough. Completed about 95% of all the side quests and I can assure that all but 2 of them reward you with money only, 2 of side quests in part 2 reward you with weapons. In fact most of the side quests will require you to give some random NPC materials so you'll be wasting them instead of getting rewarded. The ones in part 2 however help a lot towards the "Man of Means" trophy where you have to get 1.000.000 coins since most of them reward you with 20k at least.

I'd say the DLC helps a lot with farming. So far I had about 10 runs and was able to get shit ton of Rusted Clumps, 4 Eagle Eggs, Pyre, Meteorite, Fluorite , Amber, Moldavite, Titanium Alloy and Gold Ores. The Eagle Eggs are the hardest to come by if playing without DLC. My strategy after every cours through the DLC is searching the village for Giant Eggs and then traveling to Seafront for Black Pearls then traveling back to the village.

Edit.: All of the items mentioned are found in boxes after the third Door on the third level.

Edited by DonGurke93
  • Like 2