Need help - University project

jvaferreira

Hi everyone. I don't think I ever used these forums but I used the site a lot to track my trophies.

I'm making a market researh for a university project about "Videogame Digital Distribution" and I need to conduct a research to understand people's general opinion about this market.

It's a quick survey. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to answer and it will help me a lot.

Any tips to help me improve my work will be greatly appreciated.

LINK TO SURVEY

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this or if it's not allowed at all.

Edited by jvaferreira

I don't see why this wouldn't be allowed. However, I will warn people prior to doing this that I believe submitting your survey results to the website does give the survey host the opportunity to see your IP address, this is often done to ensure that all responses are unique. I kind of doubt it would be used maliciously against you, but since this is the person's 2nd post on the website, you never know so it's worth mentioning that. Aside from that, good luck with your project, but I do kind of recommend you to do this survey by emailing people within your university for their opinion, when I was at university our project was due in April, so if you've only just started collecting results I hope you have enough time to write your report or whatever kind of paper you have to do. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 2

something to add to my reply with what I like about physical vs digital : I like that physical takes up very little space on my console...i feel like on ps4 in particular I need to keep deleting old games rather quickly and that a 1 Tb drive holds barely anything at all...with disc I never have to worry...

11 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

Answered. Good luck with your project! I see you're Portuguese, so which University are you attending BTW? (If you're confortable sharing this of course)

I'm from Portugal but I've been living in Brazil for 4 years now. We should play some time :)

48 minutes ago, jvaferreira said:

I'm from Portugal but I've been living in Brazil for 4 years now. We should play some time :)

46 minutes ago, fabmorais_2011 said:

I'm from Brazil and been living in Portugal for 7 years now lol. Add me on the PSN!

move over tinder, psnprofiles is where true love is found...haha...

3 hours ago, jvaferreira said:

Hi everyone. I don't think I ever used these forums but I used the site a lot to track my trophies.

I'm making a market researh for a university project about "Videogame Digital Distribution" and I need to conduct a research to understand people's general opinion about this market.

It's a quick survey. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to answer and it will help me a lot.

Any tips to help me improve my work will be greatly appreciated.

LINK TO SURVEY

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this or if it's not allowed at all.

Survey sent. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Sergen said:

I do kind of recommend you to do this survey by emailing people within your university for their opinion, when I was at university our project was due in April

I recommend this for a different reason. Right now you're polling a group of people who are considered "hardcore" gamers versus "casual" gamers. You may have different results if you poll randomly.

8 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I recommend this for a different reason. Right now you're polling a group of people who are considered "hardcore" gamers versus "casual" gamers. You may have different results if you poll randomly.

For the most part, it doesn't matter where you get the participants as long as they are human and over the age of 16, because I recall having to instead get parents permission for an under 16. At least on his university campus he would have more reliable results as those people are going through the same thing, trying to get participants for their own study, so they'd be less likely to troll him. There's a high amount of people who are gamers in this world so there'd be no shortage of gamers in the university. I will say one thing and that is, when I made a study I also needed to get clearance from an ethics committee and informed consent to perform my questionnaire and I made a cover page which detailed what the results would be used for and so on. All these things are missing from his study and it is simply a link to the questions. I don't know when his semester ends, but a lot of people who have only just started collecting data for a study at this time of year are leaving it too late when for the most part they have until June to write an entire paper about their work. This all does depend on whether this is his final year at university and the final project he's doing though, I know I'd feel fucked if I left doing my survey only weeks before writing the paper. 

Edited by Sergen

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

For the most part, it doesn't matter where you get the participants as long as they are human. At least on his university campus he would have more reliable results as those people are going through the same thing, trying to get participants for their own study. 

You can get in trouble for this, though (at least in American universities). Spamming other students for surveys and the like can get your email privileges suspended or revoked. We had major problems with this at Iowa State, for example, and they really started to crack down on it.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

You can get in trouble for this, though (at least in American universities). Spamming other students for surveys and the like can get your email privileges suspended or revoked. We had major problems with this at Iowa State, for example, and they really started to crack down on it.

Normally at the university there are designated areas to place any informational flyers in the university, such as library study rooms and other places. Aside from that, if the person is so desperate there's also a chance that when someone desperately needs a study to be done for them a lecturer will sometimes email people with a bunch of studies at the end of the year for those who were falling behind. Also, the university might have its own designated website where the study could be submitted, when I was in my first year of university we had to participate in some people's studies as part of an assignment and gain some points for doing the study. Either way, there are plenty of things out there to get responses from the university students. Another thing about my study was having to include contact details of myself as a researcher and the tutor from the university who was overseeing it, this was so people who did the study had an opportunity to withdraw their results or contact us about it. 

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

For the most part, it doesn't matter where you get the participants as long as they are human. 

But it does. If you're not polling randomly, you may have underlying biases that you can't control for in your study because you didn't ask the right questions. I run into this regularly in my real world work and it's a pain in the ass.

And it's not necessarily necessary to do an IRB review... wasn't even told that IRB was a thing until my last undergrad semester after I'd already done half a dozen papers requiring polls in previous coursework.

It is strange that there's not a preface on the poll itself though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

But it does. If you're not polling randomly, you may have underlying biases that you can't control for in your study because you didn't ask the right questions. I run into this regularly in my real world work and it's a pain in the ass.

And it's not necessarily necessary to do an IRB review... wasn't even told that IRB was a thing until my last undergrad semester after I'd already done half a dozen papers requiring polls in previous coursework.

It is strange that there's not a preface on the poll itself though.

I do doubt that the only place he's put this survey is on PSNProfiles, it's an easy place to find people who would quickly do your study and have an interest in gaming, but to get enough responses to the study, I believe you need to get over 40 responses, my own study got over 100, it's a bit unlikely over 100 people on this website will complete the survey. It could be included in his study where he sampled the people to participate, by explaining how he got the participants, maybe a question like "where did you find this survey?" would be fitting to include in his results and he could then mention gaming forums have a higher likelihood of having hardcore gamers whereas the university campus may not, of course with evidence to back up the claims if he can find any papers that researched that in the past. But aside from that, people might really want to know exactly why those questions are being asked before answering them, my own study survey had a brief and a debrief at the beginning and end to explain those things. 

1 hour ago, eigen-space said:

My objective is to know gamers' opinions. It wouldn't be much use to me to survey random people who don't know anything about the subject.

And it's only a a mid-term project it's nothing really serious, but I do need to get the data.

36 minutes ago, jvaferreira said:

My objective is to know gamers' opinions. It wouldn't be much use to me to survey random people who don't know anything about the subject.

Got it. You mentioned "general opinion" in your first post so I didn't take it to mean "general opinion of hardcore gamers".

I haven't asked this so I will now.

1. How many results do you need for the study?

2. By which date do you need to stop the survey and use those results?

3. Why didn't you include a brief (introduction) and debrief (information after completion of the questionnaire to explain aims of it)?

4. Is this your final year assessment for university or will you still be attending university after this questionnaire and assignment is finished? 

I have done your questionnaire but I am simply curious as to what the results will be used for after you stop collecting responses for it. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I haven't asked this so I will now.

1. How many results do you need for the study?

2. By which date do you need to start collecting results?

3. Why didn't you include a brief (introduction) and debrief (information after completion of the questionnaire to explain aims of it)?

4. Is this your final year assessment for university or will you still be attending university after this questionnaire and assignment is finished? 

I have done your questionnaire but I am simply curious as to what the results will be used for after you stop collecting responses for it. 

1. I need 96 results. Aiming for 100, got 68 so far.

2, The project is due June 11th. I'm planning to start to gather them on June 1st

3. Didn't... remember. It's my first experience with doing surveys. Next time I will

4. Just a mid-term project. Nothing too serious but I do need to gather the results.

I'm doing the survey to see how the gaming community accepts digital games. According to some studies I've read digital sales are rising year after year but from personal experience I know that people are still divided over physical and digital (except on PC where digital sales make up almost 100% of the sales). This could be used to know where companies should focus, or if they should make use of both of them. I'm seeing a lot of people adding special editions on "others", so that could boost sales of physical copies.

• Like 1