Gaming Confessions

There was a time when I used emulators a lot and "beat" famous games like Castlevania with liberal use of save states. I never had a NES or Sega, but I did manage to beat a few games like Zelda 1, Sonic and a few Mega Man's on my friends or relatives systems... well, at least I think I did. Because of the emulators my memories are twisted and now I'm not sure which games I beat or even played for real and which I did not. I don't exactly go boasting about being a NES-kid, but it's just not the same thing when I talk about these games as it would be if I experienced them on the actual systems.

That's all I have.

2 hours ago, Jun_Kazama316 said:

Sometimes WHEN i'm home alone i play games while naked, it's really fun to play with a controller and a joystick at the same time.

That wouldnt work for me, seen as I need both hands for my joystick ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TKdovahkiin said:

I have more friends in Skyrim than I do in real life.

On top of that, almost every time I start a new playthrough - I still cry when the graybeards thunder out my name

26a1.png...Do......Vah....Kiin....26a1.png

Its only bad when you have more copies of Skyrim than friends

• Like 1

I always play my games on the couch in just my boxershort. Often accompanied by a sixpack of beer and a bucket of  chickenwings. Sometimes a slice of pizza too.

• Like 3

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:01 PM, albajos said:

I'd rather play Commodore 64 or Amiga than anything more recent

That's not a confession, that's glorious!

As a massive CBM fan I have a very large collection of all the old machines including every variant of the marvellous Miggy

It was undoubtedly the greatest machine ever made, with some titles that will live on in the memory forever

Top stuff

1) I only got the PS2 way after it came out (a little before PS3 came out). I only had a PS1 at the time (I was around 13 years old), so whenever someone had a PS2 in their house, I would obviously ask to play it. I was on vacation in France, visiting some cousins. In their house, there was a PS2 with Burnout games from one of my cousins. One day he wasn't home, so I played Burnout 3's campaign, however his smaller brother (around 6 years old), was always bothering me because he wanted to play. There was only one PS2 remote available. I let him play a race or two, but he obviously didn't know what the hell he was doing. I pretended I was connecting another remote to the PS2 (which was a DVD remote, in fact) and told him he could play with that remote. But the truth was, I was the one playing, pretending I was watching him play. He even asked "Why the hell are you using the remote?" which I answered "I'm trying to learn how to drive like you, man!". And I played Burnout 3's campaign the whole night by myself. xD

2) At primary school (6/7 years old), I used to play a lot of Pokémon games in my Gameboy, so I would bring it sometimes to school to play with friends or even by myself. One day, after I arrived to school, I was playing, when some boys in my class told me they found out how they could get Mew. I asked them how, and they asked me to borrow them my Gameboy so they could do it (I think it was the Yellow version). So, they turned on the Gameboy but didn't let me watch it (yeah, pretty suspicious!). They were saying things like "Wow, nice Mew!" "Look at it!"... Then they gave me the Gameboy back. They started a New Game and overwrite my save... That day didn't end well for me and neither for them. Don't remember the details, but I think I ended up punching one of them. End of story. xD

3) The first years I got my PS1, I didn't have a memory card, so I would never manage to finish a game. I was always frustrated, because I was starting the games over and over again, and my parents would not buy a memory card (I think I did not understand the purpose of having one at that time, with 7 years old, lol). One day, I was on vacation in Portugal (was living in France at the time), and a cousin of mine offered me my first Memory Card and taught me how to use it. I became a happier gamer ever since!

4) When I was little, I traded a PS1 game for a friend's broken music CD. My mom even called me donkey. I swapped it back and got the game back! xD

Edited by Caju_94
  • Like 2

Reading these is a lot of fun xD

I just remembered one!

Whenever my cousin comes over back in the day, my mom used to force me to let him play on the ps2 with me which I didn't want given how young he was and unknowledgable of the controls! 

So... I used to plug in FIFA 04 and make him hold a controller but I wouldn't actually include him in ?.  It worked for a while till he caught on but I used to lie and say that it's all you xD. Then at one point I got busted and he let go of the controller and I was screwed xD. 

Edited by PooPooBlast

When I was about 17 or 18 I was living with some friends in a trailer park.  We all had dead end jobs and just worked enough to get money for beer and smokes.  We were all dumb punks that did nothing but listen to NOFX and The Queers and drink cheap beer.  The only things I had that I brought from home was the clothes on my back, my tapes (yes, tapes, as in cassette tapes), and my SNES collection, which consisted of: 

• Final Fantasy II
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Mega Man X
  • Super Metroid
  • Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II 
  • Illusion of Gaia

I had pretty much moved onto the PS1 and was way into Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Spiderman to care about the SNES games.  So my then girlfriend and I went to the local flea market and I traded all of my SNES games in for about $100 bucks.  I bought a 411 skate video, a copy of The Burbs on VHS and had enough cash left for a case of PBR and a pack of Basic's.  I think I gave my girlfriend $10 bucks for gas. 

• Like 1

These are a great read so some of mine:

• I'm a guy but I love otome games.  Whenever a new otome game comes out I look it up to decide if I should add it to the list of games I want or not.  While I won't play every otome game, I have to like the art style, I play a lot more than most people would.
  • In RPGs I refuse to use consumables unless I'm at max capacity and only then will I use them so that I can store more!  Once I get 99 (or 10, or 60, whatever the max is) potions I'll use some or sell some off, just in case a monster drops one, I don't want to miss picking it up.
  • I refuse to spend more than $25 US for most games, $35 for games I REALLY want.  I started with the PS2 and most games could be bought for around $20-$30 dollars.  Even now, two generations later, I refuse to spend more than that.  So I only buy games when they're on sale, no matter how long I have to wait for them.  I also make liberal use of my library and rent games I want to play but don't want to buy.
  • If a character has a "canonical" name I refuse to change it.  I'll even check online to see if anime or manga versions of the game have given them a name (such as Persona) and so I'll use that name.  If there is no canonical name then I always use the name "Alice" regardless of the character's gender.
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 9:44 AM, MeteorHawk said:

My shameful confession.

I've been gaming since I was five. My first system was a TV Boy II, a Mattel plug-n-play that emulated 127 Atari 2600 games. I got a PS1 the following year. I gamed a lot throughout my childhood and my teens. Even into the PS3 and PS4 era it's clear that I kept up a degree of seriousness about my hobby with 93 plats. But now at the age of 26, however, I've found my attention span is quite limited when it comes to games. What used to enthrall me for hours on end daily now only seldom grabs my attention. It's not that I think games these days are bad- on the contrary in fact, some of the greatest are being released on a yearly basis in my opinion. But more often than not, I would boot up my system and start playing but yet somehow soon find myself on my laptop browsing sites, YouTube, Netflix etc rather than playing. It hurts me greatly because when I'm at work I'm fervently longing to get home so I can tear into my backlog. But once I'm in front of the TV, a lot of the time, it's like I suddenly lose interest for no real reason. I've probably had my systems on but idle for three times as long as I've spent actually playing over the last three years.

I'm the same way too.

Back in the late 1990s, early 2000s I used to be obsessed with reading gaming magazines like Nintendo Power. They would go in length on a game like Mario Party, then they would talk a little on games that were going to come out in the next few months.

These days I can often play for a couple hours, but my mind far too often is distracted by what's on the internet. Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, Google, just some of the websites I spend a lot of my time on that heavily deter me away from gaming.

Edited by Spaz

I have a peeve about letting people touch my games and consoles but mostly because I have a family whom put little care into how they treat the property of  others and friends whom are the same so I tend to only allow my younger brother to play and then I hear a laundry list of complaints from others during family gatherings at my home since they feel like I should let them play. I feel guilty about it a bit but then I remember the last time I let someone touch a console I owned, I was out a controller and they never reimbursed me so I just avoid the trouble altogether.

I've also gotten to the point where I'll buy a game, fiddle with it, then almost never touch it again, my interest has died down quite a lot over the years but I still love games but playing them can feel like a chore sometimes if I'm not 100% into it. At this point I'm taking more joy in just having them in my collection than actually playing them

• Like 1

I started gaming in 1992. "Cool." You might think. "You probably have experience of the classics then." You might think.

You would be wrong, my friend.So, so wrong.

Although my first 'console' was a C64 and I can only remember one game on it (Savage Pond), I very quickly was moved onto the Sega Master System/Genesis, the Sega Mega Drive and the SNES. My gaming life has continued, following Nintendo and Sony consoles. But I have not played most of what people call the true 'classics'.

LoZ: Ocarina of Time

LoZ: Majora's Mask

Metroid series

Castlevania series

Starfox series

Other Zelda games

Final Fantasy series

Resident Evil series

And there's probably more that I can't think of off the top of my head. I have not touched any games in those series'. I have the 3DS version of LoZ: OoC and Majora's Mask, but I have barely played them more than 30 minutes. I have seen enough clips and read enough about them to feel as if I have played them, so I don't feel like I need to go back and play them.

I also have felt my enthusiasm for gaming has dropped significantly over the past couple of years. Since I've decided to pack-in consoles and just get a good PC I'm a lot more interested again and it feels kind of refreshing. But I feel guilty for playing games as well. I'll start up a game and play for maybe an hour before I put it down again because I feel guilty that I'm not being more productive. But then I'll just look at stupid shit on the internet, which is even less productive than gaming.

Edited by Asvinia
  • Like 2

On 23/05/2018 at 11:11 PM, WorldsBestSpy said:
  •  
  • I am very afraid that when I get more and more into adulthood I'll lose my passion for gaming.

That will only happen if you let it.... Atari 2600 was my 1st console, and am still going now ( will be 49 next month)

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, Stardew Shelly said:

That's my only gripe with your post, I'm 25 and I grew up with PSOne games... why shouldn't that be possible?

I was using it as an example to speak about myself, I wasn't implying that no one can talk about games before their time.  Sorry if it came across that way.

For example I was 6 when the PS2 arrived and I was 9 when i started gaming.  I don't typically go back beyond my time to play games, so I personally not going to pretend like I do to sound cool.  Of course if you do or got into gaming earlier thats fine, just don't like it when people go on about "the classics" when they're just trying to sound more qualified than anyone else and don't have any actual knowledge of classic games.  

My whole point was basically that I think people should embrace whatever hobbies they have and be honest about what they're like, rather than pretending to have this really fake appreciation for something other people are actually quite passionate about.  Im not going to pretend to know and love theatre to a theatre aficionado, its just insulting.  I'd say "I can appreciate what its about" or "I'd be interested in finding out more".

3 hours ago, damage_6-9 said:

That will only happen if you let it.... Atari 2600 was my 1st console, and am still going now ( will be 49 next month)

Yeh, every person is different.  Whatever gaming means to you evolves over time, like any hobby.   If you do stop gaming, it'll probably be because you want to so fearing it won't help as it'll be replacing by something equally or more important. 

I don't think I'll ever not love games.  I'min my early twenties, and I've noticed a fundamental change in the acceptance of video games amongst family and peers in work over the last few years.  its gone from being a thing only geeky kids do to managers etc. in their mid thirties playing Overwatch and Fortnite with their kids and getting deep into Ratchet and Clank when their daughter in law got them hooked in  (just some personal examples).  My mum watches me play Heavy Rain (and soon Detroit); my Dad loves doing lap times on racing games.   I have friends with young kids, or have just gotten married still play a lot of video games and also have a social life and work umpteen hours.   Adults, in my life, do seem to find a way! 

My two gaming lulls (i.e. playing only a handful of times for 6 months) were both at significant points in my life; starting a-levels (16) and starting university (18).  Weirdly, whilst doing my MBA (which I'm doing now) has barely affected my gaming time and I'm getting the best grades of any study I've done.  Either way, I game more now than I ever have, and have no intention of stopping. 

• Like 2

So I have this weird (and somewhat annoying) thing with the date stamps on my trophies :blush:

Basically I have to get certain trophies all grouped with the same date stamp (so say if there's trophies tied to a particular game mode or something then I have to get those on the same day, or if that's not possible then they have to have consecutive date stamps before I start working on the next bunch of trophies in that game.

Also, in a campaign in a game, I have to try get all the trophies in the "correct" order of when they can be done, and the story related trophies have to be evenly spaced apart. So, for example, if there's say 12 missions in a campaign then I have to get either 2 done per day, or it can be 3 or 4, because those also divide into 12. (Yes, I know this is very strange!).

And then there's another thing I do where, if I come back to a game at a later date to unlock some trophies I didn't get the first time around, I'll wait until it's exactly a month down the track so the date stamp is the same as maybe my first (or last) trophy in the game (only a month later), or even a full YEAR down the track. And I may do this for 2 or 3 years! :facepalm: This is quite a common occurrence on the games on my profile. Driveclub would be a good example if anyone ever looked at that. But yeah, this is on many of my games. There's more too, where I'll deliberately unlock certain trophies on a significant date or something. 

Then there's times where things go wrong and I accidentally unlock something I didn't want to on the wrong day which puts things out of "order" in the trophy list, and this really bugs me, sometimes to the point of wanting to start a whole new profile (although I doubt I could ever actually bring myself to do that). But it does really irk me when I go back and look at the "wrong" or "out of order" order. Lol.

I have no idea how or why I developed this obsession, but it is rather annoying! It'd be great if trophies/achievements didn't have date stamps so then they would all just show as unlocked but without a time or date and then I wouldn't have to do this :S 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A_Tennis_Giraffe said:

I have no idea how or why I developed this obsession, but it is rather annoying! It'd be great if trophies/achievements didn't have date stamps so then they would all just show as unlocked but without a time or date and then I wouldn't have to do this :S 

Add a custom filter to AdBlock to hide the elements that display the trophy dates. That should work if it's trophy hunting sites that you view your trophies at.

On ‎27‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 1:10 AM, phantomfear9494 said:

I was using it as an example to speak about myself, I wasn't implying that no one can talk about games before their time.  Sorry if it came across that way.

For example I was 6 when the PS2 arrived and I was 9 when i started gaming.  I don't typically go back beyond my time to play games, so I personally not going to pretend like I do to sound cool.  Of course if you do or got into gaming earlier thats fine, just don't like it when people go on about "the classics" when they're just trying to sound more qualified than anyone else and don't have any actual knowledge of classic games.  

My whole point was basically that I think people should embrace whatever hobbies they have and be honest about what they're like, rather than pretending to have this really fake appreciation for something other people are actually quite passionate about.  Im not going to pretend to know and love theatre to a theatre aficionado, its just insulting.  I'd say "I can appreciate what its about" or "I'd be interested in finding out more".

I get that, it just sounded to me like you were implying that you have to be at least 30 or so years old to realistically talk about PS1 games. :lol:

I myself ''started gaming'' before I could really talk or remember. The earliest memory I have with gaming is me playing A link to the past at my cousin's. But I would not say that I actually played the game back then. What I definitely can say however is, that I played the shit out of Final Fantasy IX as a 6 year old. And ever since that day I loved gaming. Guess I was lucky that my father was into gaming as well back then.

J

Edited by Stardew Shelly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...