Wierd question, I know, but...

DrBloodmoney

Does anyone know what the deal is with bosses in (mostly) Japanese games having big rings at their backs?

I’ve seen it in a bunch of games - Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, a ton of JRPGs... seems to be a theme of large, dragon-type monsters with these odd, flat rings that float at their backs, like the rings on saturn or something.

Does this stem from anything? Some cultural myth or anything like that? Does anyone know what they are meant to represent or what the origin of them is? 

Just curious ???

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with bosses in (mostly) Japanese games having big rings at their backs?

I’ve seen it in a bunch of games - Final Fantasy, Bayonetta, a ton of JRPGs... seems to be a theme of large, dragon-type monsters with these odd, flat rings that float at their backs, like the rings on saturn or something.

Does this stem from anything? Some cultural myth or anything like that? Does anyone know what they are meant to represent or what the origin of them is? 

Just curious 1f914.png1f914.png1f914.png

Never really thought about it. Japan is the land of the rising sun (even the flag has it), so maybe it's supposed to represent that :hmm: . As for enemies in Bayonetta, I just assumed those were halos since they're angels.

• Like 1

Just now, Dragon-Archon said:

Never really thought about it. Japan is the land of the rising sun (even the flag has it), so maybe it's supposed to represent that :hmm: . As for enemies in Bayonetta, I just assumed those were halos since they're angels.

Yeah - good point on Bayonetta - your probably right. If my knowledge of the different choirs of Angels is correct, (and it is), there is also a category of the second Divine Sphere called ‘Thrones’ which look like big giant floating circles themselves - I guess I shouldn’t have included Bayonetta in the list!

Still though, I’m not imagining it right? This is a pretty common thing in Japanese games? 

Japanese games use a lot of archetype and also japanese myth, chinese myth and some case even india myth. No only bosses, also characters personality is constructed in base of a predefine archetype. See bosses, characters, or even hair colours represent a idea of what type of archetype we see/play. Of course talk about it can disappear the "magic" as player. 

Edited by AlchemistWer