Empty Pockets farming method - faster than endless banquet halls

On 3.2.2019 at 5:34 AM, DanTheManGum said:

Anyway, I’m up to 67% and always making progress. How goes everyone’s runs?

65% currently, had no time whatsoever to play for the last few days. What I don't get about your strategy is what you are doing with Dobbin the whole time when all the gates are open. In my strategy I kill enemies in front of gate 2, then tunnel to gate 4 to kill the few enemies who made it past the killbox and the guardian. In your strategy, you can't really kill enemies of gate 2 or 3 because you need them to survive long enough to justify the additional power generators at the end of the killbox, same with gate 4 if I understand your barricade and generator setup correctly. So are you just perma camping in front of gate 1, or are you randomly collecting some coin bags wherever you want? Aside from saving some time placing the traps, I don't really get the purpose of the Ring either tbh.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

65% currently, had no time whatsoever to play for the last few days. What I don't get about your strategy is what you are doing with Dobbin the whole time when all the gates are open. In my strategy I kill enemies in front of gate 2, then tunnel to gate 4 to kill the few enemies who made it past the killbox and the guardian. In your strategy, you can't really kill enemies of gate 2 or 3 because you need them to survive long enough to justify the additional power generators at the end of the killbox, same with gate 4 if I understand your barricade and generator setup correctly. So are you just perma camping in front of gate 1, or are you randomly collecting some coin bags wherever you want? Aside from saving some time placing the traps, I don't really get the purpose of the Ring either tbh.

I stay near the guardian at gate 4 as my main spot. The power generators at 2 and 3 are for enemies that make it past those traps, of which they’re aren’t a ton but some still do. The 6 traps behind door 2 used to catch these extras but now they go through power generators. The guardian always played clean up at door 3. The extra generators at gate 4, easily get use as there are no damage traps prior to the far stairs. Just me and the guardian. I get frozen after so many hits and usually a couple enemy’s will sneak by at this time. They generate coin and get cleaned up by traps. 

The ring is 100% for unstable rift clean up. It allows me to stay and attempt for bags longer, then jump to the rift to get to where I need to go faster. It’s especially helpful (to me) for the unstable rift on wave 4. 

Hopefully everyone succeeds at their goal. Good luck to everyone. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

Dantheman, anyway to show video wise the new tweak in your method?

Also I'm barely starting this game, any tips to speedrun the trophies? I plan to get the gold trophy in maybe 10-12 days playing 11-12 hours+ a day.

Any information would help greatly

A question, do you intend to go for the platinum?

Anything other than the Empty Pocket trophy is rather simple. You should have unlimited currency thanks to the developers giving it out as a farewell gift. What you want to do first is open a crapton of Rift Lord chests to get things like guardians, traits, non rare traps and some parts. If you have most or all of the traits, guardians and useful non rare traps to tier 7, you can get parts and rare-epic traps from the shop, currency here are the gibs. Buy lots of them, you have enough of the currency after all. Don't forget to buy consumables like potions either, especially the luck potion, they are very useful. You should be getting the gold trophy Top Tier already just by doing this.

Now that this boring part is out of the way, you can work on 3 targets pretty much at the same time. First you want to work on getting to level 40 so you unlock Rift Lord difficulty. You get experience by just playing matches. Since you have to play matches anyway, you might as well be good at it and work towards target 2 by completing all the survival maps you can enter with 5 stars, which should be very easy up to Rift Lord difficulty with your overpowered traps and parts. You can do one better by working simultaneously towards target 3, which is all the trophies you get by doing specific(in this case grindy) things with certain heroes. Get the hero trophies for Bloodspike, Stinkeye, Dobbin(only if you don't go for Empty Pockets), Midnight, and Ivy. The other hero trophies can be done later since they all can be done in one match each. 

After you reach level 40, you have to complete the rift lord maps with 5 stars. With the exception of 2, all of them are piss easy cakewalks with your level of traps, despite your low hero level. If you follow a guide for them, you can do it in a matter of hours.

Now with the Starkiller trophy out of the way, you have 4 types of trophies left. The ones you can get by farming any map, and the ones you have to specifically set up your matches for, special grindy ones and the ones that require the help of other players.

- The first ones are trophies like kill 100k minions, place 10k traps, kill 500 bosses ect, they will easily come without you doing anything specific for them, so don't bother much with them.

- The second are specific one time feats like catch 70 enemies on fire at at the same time with Smolder, defeat 15 waves in endless, win a weekly challenge. One match for each trophy, none of them are in any way hard or challenging.

- The third are grinds you need to aim for. Killing 100 enemies with chandeliers in banquet hall, killing 1000 enemies by throwing them into hazards with your hero, kill 5000 with environmental traps, spend 200.000.000 for Empty Pockets. Aside from Empty Pockets, none of these take long. Psnprofiles already has great tactic videos for them, you will be done very quickly with most of them.

- The fourth and last are trophies like Fearless Leader and Combo Quest, trophies you can't do on your own no matter what. Perhaps the sabotage mode trophies can be named here too because I doubt you will easily win or even find sabotage matches without setting them up with friends. Fearless Leader is of course very easy, but Combo Quest may require at least one person with a good understanding of how to do it. Save some time and try it with 2 other people, not with only 1, because that can go wrong too easily and prolong the process.

Edit: Also, your signature is misleading good sir, your completion rate is above 13% now, grats on that, quite the achievement with that number of games.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2019 at 11:34 PM, DanTheManGum said:

So I did some more tweaking and here’s what I’ve changed. I dropped my items and took up a ring of teleportation and the root that heals. I dropped the green pentagon perk for cool down reduction. I also dropped the XP potion for caffeine potion (cooldown reduction). I dropped a ceiling trap and picked up great barricade. I no longer build the 6 traps behind the guardian at door 2. I put 3 barricades there to make a long hallway with 5 power generators on the wall and end it with the 3 floor traps. I put 2 power generators at the corner of the guardian at door 3. Finally at door 4 I build 2 barricades to push them into the 5 power gens (thanks to the additional video posted for these tips) and build barricades to push them to the far steps and build 2 rows of the floor traps with 4 power generators placed on these walls.

On door 4, arrange the 5 power generators at the door such that the top two centerlines are where the traps below them meet (in other words shift the two top ones half a trap to the right to make a trapezoid shape with all 5). This should allow for the blue viking looking guys to trigger the top traps too as they enter/exit the lane instead of just the bears.

Finished my grind last night. \o/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

What's the easier method with a friend for the combos?

The best method I know is done with a 3 man group on endless Banquet Hall, one player takes Stinkeye (totem is a extra combo point), one Zoey (multiple elements) and the last one Gabriela (Kinetic). With 3 people, 1 placing the barricades, you have 20 trap slots you can fill. You close off one of the tunnel ways of the long hall so they all go through the one close to the wall. You have room for 6 wall trapps, 4 normal ceiling traps added with the gong and two shooting traps at the end, so 7 ceiling in total, and 7 floor traps.

I have done this strategy multiple times to help people with the trophy, you can get combos up to 18 and 19. We always used the following traps.

Floor: Viscious Tar, Brimstone, Steam, Ice Shards, Cursed Ground, Spikes and Floor Scorcher. The scorchers can be placed in a way that they hit enemies who almost make it through the killbox as well as the ones at the beginning. Place the slowing traps like Tar at the end of it, or even the later enemies will die before making it through to the last traps of the killbox.

Wall: Naphta (at the beginning), Arrow Wall, Fire Arrows, Wall Blade, Web Spinner and Arcane Bowling Ball. Not much to explain here except you better place the Wall place on the second wall area because its kill potential is immense.

Ceiling: Concussion Pounder, Pounder, Ballista, Dragonlance, Haymaker, Shock Zapper, Gong. Gong at the end of the killbox, right beside the Ballistas. The 4 slots in the tunnel with the rest of the traps.

You can switch around the positions of the traps a bit, it should still be fine. It helps to build Combo Generator into any trap it fits in, also anything that decreases the cooldown of the trap is helpful as well. In the later rounds you should have no trouble to get way above 15 combo, 18 are not a rare occurence here. You can avoid using any items, as items like the Bracelet do not dount towards your combo points, only traps and hero skills/attacks do. This strategy has never failed me so far.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, NekoRave said:

I dont have a third friend willing to do this, would you mind eventually assisting me with this?

I'm trying to play this in-between my work days and I have to play a lot to catch-up, anything to make this less painful would be appreciated.

Also reading the thread for optimal grinds, everyone seems to have different playstyles, what would be the most effective method, and could you upload a clip possibly?

I'm more visual for layouts and wouldn't want to run an outdated layout.

Anyways you guys are amazing, hoping to get the plat before closure time.

If it comes down to it, I have no problem assisting you, would not be the first time I help people with this trophy. The next days I don't really have much time, then I do my Empty Pockets marathon for a few days, but afterwards we can try to find a day when all 3 of us have time.

My method was pretty much the most effective until DanTheManGum came up with something better 2 days ago. I am usually between 340k and 350k per 10 minutes, rarely a few thousand coins lower or higher, but this method needs a lot of practice to get the timing done. Dan says his method can probably push 375k-380k in under 10 minutes and given that everything I ever did on Frostbite was copying from his original ideas in some way, I believe him. The problem is that neither me or a friend of mine who also farms for Empty Pockets were able to come anywhere near even 340k, let alone 380k with the strategy he described, so until he uploads a video I guess we won't approach these numbers. I am not too thrilled by the thought of making or uploading a video, for various reasons, the strongest ones being that I don't really know how and that my method is no longer the most effective.

You might want to reconsider going for the platinum. The servers will close at the 8th of april, which means you have around 60 days left to get Empty Pockets. You have just started the Game so you are probably below 1% of progress, so you have more or less the whole 200mio coin ahead of you. You have to complete Frostbite over 600 times with the current methods (Dans new one excluded), probably closer to 650 considering that your first attempts will be nowhere near the 320k coin or above because you have no practice on this map. Even doing the math with a easy 10 minutes per match, which is unrealistic, you can add another 2 minutes per total match time at least for loading screens, doing stuff in the menu, placing the first traps and guardian before the match timer starts, some toilet and eating breaks ect. As I said, that is already an ideal time, and you still land around 130 hours only for Empty Pockets, though I would not be surprised if the total time is way above 150 hours considering various problems you will face in the first 100 matches, like your level being rather low. That is not to mention the other achievements you have to do before you can even start grinding for Empty Pockets. Is it possible? Yes. But you won't have much time to play anything else for the next 2 months if your playtime is limited. If you have the stomach to endure a boring grind 10 hours a piece, and have enough free days to do that multuple times, you will be done much sooner, but you have to be sure that it is worth it to you because it will be very tedious.

Edited by Nighcisama

3 hours ago, DanTheManGum said:

Video is up with my updated method. This run is for 359k with a time of 9:50. Also, I forgot to build a tunnel! Told you all I’m bad at tunnel jumping. Alright everyone, fine tune it and let’s see if we can push it higher. 

Thank you for the video. I did try your setup based on your writings, and like nigh says could not get your numbers. I notice now that I did not use the caffeine potions and my pathing was a little bit different on the last gate. So that could be the coin difference. I had about 300-315k based on your text, so gonna try like in your video. Should be a big step forward. 

I am still using the "old" method for 330k runs. At 55% atm, but going strong ;-)

Thanks for video @DanTheManGum...  I was trying something quite similar, but im totally unlucky witch Merc's and Bags Dropping :)

Edit: Only difference its that i finish traps line for GATE 1 just close the portal and use first tunnel there (another one, close guardian GATE 3) and use all the remaining traps in GATE 4 just before and later stairs. Then i stay in GATE 1 and could move quickly to others 3 gates (2 - portal, 3 - tunnel, 4 ring and portal) or rifts.

By the way if u stay close to Guardian in GATE 4 i think could be fine use one that give you +1 coin per second... ??

Edited by Arislamicus

1 hour ago, Arislamicus said:

Thanks for video @DanTheManGum...  I was trying something quite similar, but im totally unlucky witch Merc's and Bags Dropping :)

Edit: Only difference its that i finish traps line for GATE 1 just close the portal and use first tunnel there (another one, close guardian GATE 3) and use all the remaining traps in GATE 4 just before and later stairs. Then i stay in GATE 1 and could move quickly to others 3 gates (2 - portal, 3 - tunnel, 4 ring and portal) or rifts.

By the way if u stay close to Guardian in GATE 4 i think could be fine use one that give you +1 coin per second... 1f914.png1f914.png

I try to circumvent the “luck” of coinbags dropping with caffeine potions and a cool down reduction perk (as you see in the video). This allows more tornados/dynamite which equals more coin bags. Good luck everyone. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DanTheManGum said:

Video is up with my updated method. This run is for 359k with a time of 9:50. Also, I forgot to build a tunnel! Told you all I’m bad at tunnel jumping. Alright everyone, fine tune it and let’s see if we can push it higher. 

Interesting that it works that way for you, I have failed to copy this strategy multiple times now and always was around 15-20k coin below. I have tried to tweak it a bit and managed to get more coin, but the match always took longer as a result and I have pretty much given up on it at this point. It does not work for me, I have implemented the extra power genrators at gate 3 into my old strategy and increased my coin slightly, this will be the extend of my improvement. I have also experimented with the lower cooldown set, but I haven't noticed a difference worth mentioning so I kept using the old traits and xp potion.

1 hour ago, Nighcisama said:

Interesting that it works that way for you, I have failed to copy this strategy multiple times now and always was around 15-20k coin below. I have tried to tweak it a bit and managed to get more coin, but the match always took longer as a result and I have pretty much given up on it at this point. It does not work for me, I have implemented the extra power genrators at gate 3 into my old strategy and increased my coin slightly, this will be the extend of my improvement. I have also experimented with the lower cooldown set, but I haven't noticed a difference worth mentioning so I kept using the old traits and xp potion.

I’m glad it gave you at least some improvement. The cooldown reduction could be my own confirmation bias but I definitely notice a difference (especially when going unchained). 

• Like 1

So I do have one question for everyone, has anyone noticed some times the gold spent just does not update right?

Now I round these down to the nearest 1k

As of today I started at 66% so my first match was 333k then, 344k, 336k, 328k, 334k, 341k, totaling to 2,016,000 so that should take me to 67% but I was at 66% still, after another two matches at 348k and 342k I got that 1%

now this is happening more then once in the past two weeks.

Yes I had that happen to me a few times, but it also happend in reverse with me getting the additional 1% earlier than expected that day, so I guess the statistic is just having trouble keeping up with you if you put too many matches in. Even if it was not counting a match or two occasionally, it would not make that much of a difference.

1 hour ago, DanTheManGum said:

I’m glad it gave you at least some improvement. The cooldown reduction could be my own confirmation bias but I definitely notice a difference (especially when going unchained). 

You have more Dynamite throws for sure, that is probably why I did not notice that big of a difference. I went for every possible dynamite throw with the reduced cooldown, which is pretty much the opposite of what I usually do. In my experience, you can get more coin bags from a crowd of enemies if you just hit them all at once multiple times with your normal attack. Every attack on any enemy can spawn a coin bag, I've sometimes had around 10 coin bags without dynamite from the 3 giants coming out of the unstable rift when they made it out, though it is not the norm. Unchained Dynamite does a ton of damage and only has a chance of 1 coin bag per enemy, 25%(35% after level 4) that any enemy hit will spawn a coin bag to be exact. A normal hit has 20%(30% after level 4), but you can get way more hits in before the enemies die, so going unchained can actually lead to getting fewer coin bags in total. That is why, for a while now, I only go unchained if the enemies are about to kill me, I want to get rid of mercenaries or I need to kill the last enemies of a wave quicker to not lose time. For that very reason I used Viscious Tar for a while, due to the amount of coin bags being just much, much higher, but the time increase makes this not worth it for me most of the time.

Edited by Nighcisama

What account level do you guys think is a good level to start with? I still have maps to do and misc trophies to get, but I figured I'd give DanTheManGum's strategy a try at lvl 43 and it didn't work out too well lol, couldn't do the damage. Maybe instead of a Caffeine Potion I should use a Rage Potion for awhile or something, but just wondering what the recommended minimum level would be in your opinions.

Also, in your newest video, what parts are you using in those traps @DanTheManGum

Edited by Lyrikk

3 hours ago, Lyrikk said:

What account level do you guys think is a good level to start with? I still have maps to do and misc trophies to get, but I figured I'd give DanTheManGum's strategy a try at lvl 43 and it didn't work out too well lol, couldn't do the damage. Maybe instead of a Caffeine Potion I should use a Rage Potion for awhile or something, but just wondering what the recommended minimum level would be in your opinions.

Also, in your newest video, what parts are you using in those traps @DanTheManGum

Here you have it in Spanish, I do not know if in English it will have the same names.

Cartas:

Que suba la temperatura (Diamante)
A su hermano lo machacaron unos osos Grizzly (Pentágono)
Oferta arcana Insuperable (Triangulo)
Que llueva la pasta (Triangulo)

Pociones:

Poción Suerte

Poción Cafeína

Trampas y Partes de Trampas:

Bóveda: 900;

• Generador de recompensas
  • Partes subvencionadas

Nafta: 800;

• Partes subvencionadas
  • Recuperador cinético

Barrera doble: 1575-,

• Protección reutilizable
  • Partes subvencionadas
  • Marcos de runas de héroe

Azufre: 1593;

• Resonador Ígneo
  • Resorte doble

Suelo maldito: 1275;

• Resonador ígneo
  • Resorte de carga

Abrazador: 850;

• Resonador Ígneo
  • Resorte de Carga
  • Recuperador cinético

Bola arcana: 956;

• Resonador Ígneo
  • Resorte doble
  • Partes subvencionadas

Wave 1 – Puerta 1 – Cafeína, Dinero – se desata
Wave 2 – Puerta 1
Wave 3 – Puerta 1 – (BOSS) Se desata
Wave 4 – Puerta 2 – Se desata y Rompe fisura cercana
Wave 5 – Puerta 2 – Posición dinero
Wave 6 – Puerta 4 y 3 – Coloca las trampas
Wave 7 – Puerta 3 – (BOSS) Se desata
Wave 8 – Puerta 3 – Poción dinero, VA a por la fisura
Wave 9 – Puerta 4
Wave 10 – Puerta 4 – Poción dinero, Se desata
Wave 11 – Puerta 4
Wave 12 – Puerta 4 – (BOSS (puerta 2)) Cafeína, Dinero, Se desata

Google traductor ES to EN

Spoiler

Letters:

Let the temperature rise (Diamond)
His brother was crushed by Grizzly bears (Pentagon)
Arcane offer Insuperable (Triangle)
Let the pasta rain (Triangle)

Potions:

Lucky Potion

Caffeine Potion

Traps and Trap Parts:

Vault: 900;

• Reward generator
  • Subsidized parties
  • Reward generator

Naphtha: 800;

• Subsidized parties
  • Reward generator
  • Kinetic recuperator

Double barrier: 1575-,

• Reusable protection
  • Subsidized parties
  • Hero Rune Frames

Sulfur: 1593;

• Reward generator
  • Igneous resonator
  • Double spring

Damned ground: 1275;

• Reward generator
  • Fiery resonator
  • Loading spring

Cuddle: 850;

• Igneous resonator
  • Loading Spring
  • Kinetic recuperator

Arcane Ball: 956;

• Igneous resonator
  • Double spring
  • Subsidized parties

Wave 1 - Door 1 - Caffeine, Money - Unleashes
Wave 2 - Door 1
Wave 3 - Door 1 - (BOSS) Unleashes
Wave 4 - Gate 2 - It breaks and breaks nearby fissure
Wave 5 - Door 2 - Money position
Wave 6 - Gate 4 and 3 - Place the traps
Wave 7 - Door 3 - (BOSS) Unleashes
Wave 8 - Door 3 - Money potion, GO for the fissure
Wave 9 - Door 4
Wave 10 - Door 4 - Money potion, Unleashes
Wave 11 - Door 4
Wave 12 - Door 4 - (BOSS (door 2)) Caffeine, Money, Unleashes

• Like 2

So I will be reaching the 80% milestone today, can't say right now how far I will go in this session because I am unsure how long I can force myself to grind. However I am getting more and more sure that the game is falling apart. I have witnessed an increasing number of bugs and issues during the last few percent. Enemies look like they are made out of rubber sometimes (insanely long strechted limbs on dead enemies), numbers often don't add up correctly anymore, combos don't get quite as high anymore, Unchained sometimes does not reset cd, wrong item gets used despite not being active, animations don't get shown ect. The weekly challenge is a few days overdue to get changed as well, so my guess is that they stopped doing whatever kept the game in an ok state and it will possibly go downhill from here. If you can, try finishing this thing fast to avoid the worst case scenario of the game breaking down entirely, because I doubt they would make the effort to fix it at this point.

Also, if you suddenly suffer from getting much less coin on average, try switching your traps. I have fallen from making 350k average per round to 335k average. I haven't changed any traps, parts or strategies but I am still getting less. I then switched the cursed ground with Viscous Tar, changed the direction of the Scorchers and switched the Zapper with Boom Barrel Roller, and with that I am somehow back in the 350k range despite the same change not making any noticeable difference in the past. It is all a bit weird at the moment, at least for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

So I will be reaching the 80% milestone today, can't say right now how far I will go in this session because I am unsure how long I can force myself to grind. However I am getting more and more sure that the game is falling apart. I have witnessed an increasing number of bugs and issues during the last few percent. Enemies look like they are made out of rubber sometimes (insanely long strechted limbs on dead enemies), numbers often don't add up correctly anymore, combos don't get quite as high anymore, Unchained sometimes does not reset cd, wrong item gets used despite not being active, animations don't get shown ect. The weekly challenge is a few days overdue to get changed as well, so my guess is that they stopped doing whatever kept the game in an ok state and it will possibly go downhill from here. If you can, try finishing this thing fast to avoid the worst case scenario of the game breaking down entirely, because I doubt they would make the effort to fix it at this point.

Also, if you suddenly suffer from getting much less coin on average, try switching your traps. I have fallen from making 350k average per round to 335k average. I haven't changed any traps, parts or strategies but I am still getting less. I then switched the cursed ground with Viscous Tar, changed the direction of the Scorchers and switched the Zapper with Boom Barrel Roller, and with that I am somehow back in the 350k range despite the same change not making any noticeable difference in the past. It is all a bit weird at the moment, at least for me.

This was my ultimate concern as well whenever the “you didn’t close your previous game” issue popped up. I hope they at least hold up until the end for everyone. 

6 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Now this I have seen so much, what I do is not switch traps but I play a different map with a different character and then switch back.

It is something to do with the generation of coin bags.

As for the rubber banding of enemies I have had that since day ones which cause issues for me is I have had the perk screen stuck on the side of my screen so I could not use the direction pad, which locked me out of using the potions.

I funny one I had with DOT Damage add coloured strips to the enemies which were either Orange or Purple. based on cursed grounds or the brimstone.

• Like 1

https://imgur.com/o6d4xeb

Here a result picture of the buggiest match to date. I've suddenly, without even being near any traps, had a 12 combo, something I am sure never happened before in hundreds of matches, yet my combo money is slightly lower than usual for some reason. The ground around Dobbin was a constant metallic looking blue color, and there were many green colored stripes around him as well. There was also one enemy getting stuck in a wall so he became impossible to damage with anything other than Dynamite, took me more than 30 seconds to take this guy out. Last but not least there were a few occasions when a effect popped up near me, looked like a water effect of some sorts. There are more bugs happening than before on average, but this round was worse than usual and I hope it was an exception.

18 hours ago, NekoRave said:

Yeah I'm trying to do the gold this week maybe get 70% done.

I haven't tried it out yet but once I get the method down monday-friday and the very least doing 10am-11pm shifts right after work

Depending on loading times a 10/11 min match is around 14 - 15 mins. So that is 4/5 matches an hour, at 325k flat that is 1,300,000 and hour at minimum. which would mean you would need just under 1 1/2 hours would be 1%.

So wanting to do 10% a day is a big grind man, that at the lowest time scale is around 12 hours a day at 350k each match and great load times.