Do you still continue trophy hunting despite having unobtainable trophies on your list?

ButtingHam

Don't be exaggerated man, just deal with the fact that you have unobtainables and try to get all the other trophies you can. It's almost impossible to have a 100% profile. I'm trying to clear my backlog to the best of my abilities but I have unachievable trophies, there's nothing I can do about it. I tried everything to get those trophies (apart from hacking of course) but as most of you know, support services do suck. I hope that one day we'll be able to get all of our unobtainables somehow but for now we have to deal with the reality. Maybe one day we'll be able to delete trophies, you never know.

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

I have unobtainable trophies on games. I keep on going and will complete what I can. I don't care about a 100% profile but would like to get to 80%.

Your not far off it.

I'm not sure if i have unobtainable trophies on my list, but even if i do i will still continue hunting. I''m not interested in having a 100% profile. God love the people with OCD that need 100% in all there games lol.

What my trophy lists show is my passion for games in general, not for being a completionist.

So no problem.  

My only concern due my always increasing backlog is to abandon games and never return to them to at least finish the story. Get the platinum is a plus ?

I have a few unobtainable trophies for a few reasons (Zen Pinball, wasn't trophy hunting at the time, all tables are now delisted and I only have access to a few, but even if they weren't delisted, I wouldn't bother.. Ridge Racer Driftopia had trophies on the open beta, and the game was delisted at Day 1, so I didn't had a chance to finish the trophies + they changed around trophy requirements between the beta and release, so while I have the same amount of trophies that I got during the beta, they aren't exactly the same that I earned.. and GTA5, no comments on this one).

Still, while I'm to some extent a completionist, I keep a reasonably real target (90% trophy completion + 1000 unearned trophies, I only add new games if those 2 conditions are fulfilled, or if it's something that I will be bosting, as is my current case). This conditions force me to complete games (and avoid starting tons of games and not complete any), while allow me to play everything that I like, even if it's something that I will never get the platinum. But on this note, I do try to avoid getting more unobtainable trophies, and I may avoid completely a filler game if it's impossible or to much of a headache to 100%, mainly because they are games that I wouldn't be all that inclined to play from the start..

Getting a 100% completion trophy most often then not, means that you just play easy stuff (or games that you know that you can plat for sure) for trophies, and will miss on several good games, simply because they "may be to hard" for you.. but this is the usual bad side of trying to keep a 100% completion profile.

You're free to choose whatever you want but I'd personally recommend keeping your current account and enjoy the games you play without paying much attention to your completion rate. It's nice to have personal goals and whatnot but aiming to have a 100% completion rate on everything isn't definitely worth the hassle. As others have pointed, you could eventually reach a similar situation to where you are at now and be stuck with a non-perfect profile...again.

I don't think true perfection is really possible. Trying your best to achieve it is a formidable goal indeed but I wouldn't worry too much about not landing there. Life is not perfect, you're bound to come across situations you have no control over. All those imperfections are what make life beautiful. I have tons of unobtainable trophies in my profile. I like to look back and get all reminiscent of the histories behind every one of them, they are my personal history and I wouldn't even consider throwing all my memories away.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to follow. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SonicGamer12 said:

1. Start fresh and avoid any old games that have online trophies like the plague.

That's what I did/do. :P I don't care about having a 100% profile, but I would like to keep my Platinum rate at 100% (which that usually keeps my account at 97% or higher). xD 

Why does the OP assume every trophy hunter is aiming for a 100% profile? That has never been a goal of mine. It's way too restrictive, and ultimately, it would suck the fun out of trophy hunting for me. If that's your thing, then more power to you, but I wouldn't want to be you when something out of your control forces you to lose that 100% completion you tried so hard to maintain.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 4

I couldn’t care less for my unobtainable trophies.

I like to have a decent completion percentage, but I am not a completionist and I don’t want to be. I want to have the freedom of starting a game that I know that I probably won’t be able to platinum. I have plenty of games that I don’t intend to go back to, either because I was just trying them or because I ended up hating them or because some trophies are just too hard for me.

I like my profile and I am proud of it, despite all the flaws that it might have. At least, it truly shows my gaming history, my evolution as a trophy hunter and, hopefully, what I like and don’t like to play. This is more important for me than having a flawless 100% profile.

• Like 4

I'll be honest, the first (and so far only) time I ended up with unobtainable trophies it made me mad. But I learned to move on. I never planned to have a 100% profile, especially after DLCs were introduced, but I get what I can. I think 100% profiles are impressive but just way too much pressure for me. I do try to avoid unobtainables but if some snuck in it wouldn't faze me at this point. I'm too attached to my profile to start a new one. Also as some people have put it, it represents my gaming history, both good and bad.

Skimming through the ":crying:" posts.... I'm going to plainly ask OP @SonicGamer12
Did you try having a copy of Portal 2 on your Steam account, available to play on your PC, on same Steam you sign in with on the PS3 (and co-op partner must do the same)? Portal 2 on PS3 hasn't worked in years without this trick.

Edited by CypherNova139

10 minutes ago, CypherNova139 said:

Skimming through the ":crying:" posts.... I'm going to plainly ask OP @SonicGamer12
Did you try having a copy of Portal 2 on your Steam account, available to play on your PC, on same Steam you sign in with on the PS3 (and co-op partner must do the same)? Portal 2 on PS3 hasn't worked in years without this trick.

Yes, I was able to play online about a week ago. The problem is that it'll no longer let me sign into Steam through playing the game on PS3. Says there's a connection issue. Many others are having similar problems signing in.  

That's odd. Trying it right now to see what it does, and yeah it doesn't connect for me either. Not surprised though as the Steam client for years now has not had the mention about PS3 logins.

Also I thought I saw the other day Portal 2 received a game update on PC, I wonder if they broke something.

@SonicGamer12 To add a little bit more to the thread. I volunteered to help a couple of guys in Portal 2 almost a month ago but I wasn't able to connect with anyone.

I was able to get the Platinum on Portal 2 years ago with a local friend that helped me get both the Professor Portal and Friends List with Benefits trophies. At the time, I had signed up for an account on Steam but I never downloaded the game on my PC. My PS3 game came with a code in the case but I can't remember if I used it or not. Can't remember either if I got the game new or used. Point is, I wasn't able to connect with any of the guys no matter how hard I tried but I think they were able to connect with each other. You could maybe try talking with them to see how they were able to join each other's game.

The guys I talked with were @Kristmas2 @aby90 @chellesan and @Mournblade05143

Edited by Honor_Hand

Couldn't care less. Quite often I start a game knowing I won't be doing 100% simply because it would end up being some tedious repetitiveness. There are way too many awesome games to end up wasting time collecting 1000000 of XX to get a trophy.

20 minutes ago, Honor_Hand said:

@SonicGamer12 To add a little bit more to the thread. I volunteered to help a couple of guys in Portal 2 almost a month ago but I wasn't able to connect with anyone.

I was able to get the Platinum on Portal 2 years ago with a local friend that helped me get both the Professor Portal and Friends List with Benefits trophies. At the time, I had signed up for an account on Steam but I never downloaded the game on my PC. My PS3 came with a code in the case but I can't remember if I used it or not. Can't remember either if I got the game new or used. Point is, I wasn't able to connect with any of the guys no matter how hard I tried but I think they were able to connect with each other. You could maybe try talking with them to see how they were able to join each other's game.

The guys I talked with were @Kristmas2 @aby90 @chellesan and @Mournblade05143

Thanks for heads up, but Kristmas2 was the one that initially reported the servers being down earlier today. Apparently, Valve had stopped supporting the PS3 version back in 2016, but the servers were down for about 3 weeks last year and somehow managed to start working again. Hopefully, that's the case again here since it's been a week so far. 

Regardless, I'll keep playing on this account and like some people said, it's pretty much impossible to be perfect anyways. Hell, this system itself is imperfect if an unachievable trophy can even be a thing. A major oversight that I hope can be corrected one day, but I'm not going to wait around for an official answer on that.  

• Like 2

Stop worrying about shit that is beyond your control. 

You have no control over servers shutting down at any second.   You are not guaranteed warnings beforehand.  In most EULA's and TOA's you will see that servers can shut down at any point that they choose to.

Otherwise you are chicken little worrying that the sky is falling. 

Edited by DARKB1KE