Do you still continue trophy hunting despite having unobtainable trophies on your list?

ButtingHam

4 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

@SonicGamer12 To add a little bit more to the thread. I volunteered to help a couple of guys in Portal 2 almost a month ago but I wasn't able to connect with anyone.

I was able to get the Platinum on Portal 2 years ago with a local friend that helped me get both the Professor Portal and Friends List with Benefits trophies. At the time, I had signed up for an account on Steam but I never downloaded the game on my PC. My PS3 game came with a code in the case but I can't remember if I used it or not. Can't remember either if I got the game new or used. Point is, I wasn't able to connect with any of the guys no matter how hard I tried but I think they were able to connect with each other. You could maybe try talking with them to see how they were able to join each other's game.

The guys I talked with were @Kristmas2 @aby90 @chellesan and @Mournblade05143

Like i have mentioned in a different topic - everything worked perfectly fine for me (cross platform co-op, PS3-PS3 co-op, Steam Cloud, Trophies to steam achievments synch),

but since May 15th it is impossible to sign in anymore. Because of this i had to make Still Alive trophy in split screen. Question is - is it a temporary problem or the end of online support? :(

12 hours ago, drthomys said:

3. Keep playing and don't care about not having a 100% profile. 

exactly I never cared about getting 100% then I'd have to tailor the games I play to ones i know i could 100% which would diminish the value of being at 100% in my eyes I'd rather just play what I want including games I can't plat like SF4 or maybe load up sumthin to check it out but decide I dont wanna play it (got 1 trophy in fallout3) or decide I don't wanna bother with that stupid dlc (xenoverse 2)

I do want to continue to accumulate platinums,trophy level and total number of trophies though.

5 hours ago, Kristmas2 said:

Like i have mentioned in a different topic - everything worked perfectly fine for me (cross platform co-op, PS3-PS3 co-op, Steam Cloud, Trophies to steam achievments synch),

but since May 15th it is impossible to sign in anymore. Because of this i had to make Still Alive trophy in split screen. Question is - is it a temporary problem or the end of online support? :(

Saw the other topic right after mentioning you. My apologies. ?

I remember a month ago I was already not able to connect with anyone. So maybe the problem was still there and it didn't get much worse until now? I really doubt they are working in the servers or something. Sounds more like a technical failure that needs to be fixed but that no one is going to bother. I could be wrong as well.

Maybe it could also go the Test Drive Unlimited 2 route, in which the servers sporadically come back to life once in a blue moon or so I've heard :P

At any rate, I think the OP decided to continue with his account, which is definitely the wisest choice to make. ?

• Like 1

I continue to trophy hunt. I could never imagine throwing my  entire account just for 1 or trophies as I have worked hard for the platinums I do have. I woundn't bother hide the game either, as 99% completion is better than leaving a game at something like 30 or 40%. I have a few games I just played for fun and didn't bother with the platinum due to it either being too hard or time consuming (FFX, Disgaea 4 etc.). I just got for plats in games I really love and that aren't too unreasonable, under 150 hours and around 7/10 difficulty being my upper limit so far. 

Also, I have accidentally bought and played some games I didn't like/ couldn't get into, but just cleared the story for the sake of it and the fact that I spent money on the game (Tales of Zestiria, Persona 4 golden etc), so even if the plat is easy, it would be too painful for me to aim for the plat in a game that I hate, especially if it needs a lot of time/ grinding

• Like 1

As others have mentioned my trophy list is a story of what games I've played and the memories that come from them. In addition to not ever considering 100% every single game it wouldn't be anything but a minor nuisance if I encountered an unobtainable trophy

I used to have a profile about rank 35-38ish I forget. The problem for me was it drove me crazy having games I would never be able to complete on it. So, one day out of anger I changed my password to a random assortment of numbers and letters. I never looked back, I started this profile and only played games that were short and easy at first, I started with games I had already beaten, which allowed me to break 100% speed records or at least crack the top 50. After doing this a few times I became addicted to the speedrun life, as some time passed I started venturing into harder games that I had already beaten and finally harder games that I had never played. I now research the game extensively prior to deciding to play it (how many playthroughs, how many hours, what's the difficulty, what's the fastest way to 100% the game, various guides... are the developers lazy cucks that want me to spend years of my life grinding their flavor of the month game, IM LOOKING AT YOU FORTNITE)  Then finally when I do decide on a game I wait until I have a clear schedule where work, family, etc. will not interfere with the push I'm about to make, I aim for having a top 50 time on every game which typically ends with any and all games save for a few long ones that I deemed worth it, being completed in 2 days or less. 62 out of 82 of the games I've played have been top 50 finishes and I am one trophy away from a 100% profile (FF14 levequest bs), this approach has also saved me from the worries of a games server shutting down, because the odds are good that a game will not shutdown 2 days after I start playing it and the only games that I play that will take longer than 2 days are typically insanely still popular or relevant games that couldn't possibly shutdown.

Any time I want to try a game or just play it cus it's fun but the trophies look like hell, I play it on my alt till I lose interest then I move on with no hard feelings. Having an alt account for fun that doesn't reflect me as a trophy hunter is really what made the difference. I can play those impulse games without looking at the massive shit that is an unobtainable games skid mark on my profile. So now that I'm done ranting I guess what I mean is some people don't mind it, some people have ocd out the ass and delete their profile over it LOL, but if all the other posts show anything it's that we all deal with this question in very different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I think always going for 100 percent is going to backfire on you eventually because of the amount of glitched trophies and unobtainable due to closed servers. 

I will try my best to get the online trophies I need in the Assassins Creed games I have.

But there is no way I’m going to sit down and boost Uncharted 2 & 3. That’s far too much time for me to bother going after. Grand Theft Auto V is also very unlikely, especially now since the only way I can obtain the Run Like The Wind Trophy on the PS3 version to get a modder to track me. Rockstar removed the option to place bounties quite a while ago. 

I want to aim for a 93 - 95 percent completion rate. Anything more than that is just overdoing it in my opinion. 

Barely anyone has 100 percent completion anyway, even those with well established profiles. So yeah, don’t feel bad if you have games you cannot complete.

• 4 weeks later...

after i hit 50 platinums i stopped caring as much. i still love getting trophies, but i pick the funner games first. if a game immediately sucks i might earn 1 trophy and never play it again. i have 189 completed games, but i have over 5,000 unearned trophies. when i compare myself to others ive come to the reality im not the best, never going to be the best, and there is others more dedicated then me. i buy large amounts of games on sale at once. i dont have time to play all of them but i at least want to know what they look like. ill turn them on and get a 0% lol. trophies are kind of a fun bonus to fully complete a game i already like. when i think of my trophy list though, honestly not many people care about someone elses profile. to start over would be a total waste of time. at some point your going to accidently put a disc in or start a game on accident and screw the 100% up anyways. 

On 22/05/2018 at 8:40 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

[...] Knowing 100% is impossible stops me from falling into either of the two worst trophy hunter pitfalls:

1. It stops me from every falling into the temptation of refusing to play a game because of difficulty.

and

2. It stops me from forcing myself to carry on with a game I don’t like just to try and 100% it.

I agree with your second point, but I approach your first point differently. Instead of being tempted to avoid a game because of difficulty, I am encouraged to challenge myself and take it on to better myself as a gamer and expand my comfort zone. It really depends on each person's mindset. If you're generally weak and susceptible to giving up you will always end up missing out, not just in gaming but also in life.

I am constantly dumbfounded by the people who protest against the stigma of the notorious 'H' but feel it's OK to assume all completionists/100% profilers cherry-pick their games. That is simply false and seems to be born out of envy from people who've been around the block long enough to suffer from an unobtainable. If I like the look of a game I will pick it up regardless of my current ability. If a game has a notorious difficulty wall then I embrace that challenge. Quite frankly, I believe I can do anything anyone else can do as I'm not physically or mentally handicapped. It's more often than not a matter of patience and willingness to learn/adapt/evolve.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

I agree with your second point, but I approach your first point differently. Instead of being tempted to avoid a game because of difficulty, I am encouraged to challenge myself and take it on to better myself as a gamer and expand my comfort zone. It really depends on each person's mindset. If you're generally weak and susceptible to giving up you will always end up missing out, not just in gaming but also in life.

I am constantly dumbfounded by the people who protest against the stigma of the notorious 'H' but feel it's OK to assume all completionists/100% profilers cherry-pick their games. That is simply false. If I like the look of a game I will pick it up regardless of my current ability. If a game has a notorious difficulty wall then I embrace that challenge. Quite frankly, I believe I can do anything anyone else can do as I'm not physically or mentally handicapped. It's more often than not a matter of patience and willingness to learn/adapt/evolve.

Wow, okay, well, someone woke up with a little axe to grind, didn’t they? 

Thank you for that little pep talk for all us lowly scrubs, Your Big Strong Gaming Majesty. 

You honour us, but  - as terribly cutting as it is to be called ‘generally weak and susceptible to quitting’, and that I am ‘missing out in life’ by someone with 47 games on their profile, (the majority of which I also have on my profile,) - I’m just not seeing the evidence of what you’re complaining about.

Who is out there ‘protesting against the stigma of the notorious 'H'’?

Who is doing it so often that you are constantly dumbfounded?

And isn’t that more a problem at your end? That you are literally unable to form words, so confused are you over this hypothetical, yet - apparently - insidious and pervasive notion? That someone elses opinion renders you mute

??

The thing is, you have some tough plats on your profile, and you should be proud.

You got a 100% profile with 47 decent played games, and that’s no mean feat either. 

You feel like taking a swipe at me for my puny little 94% completion rate - (across 497 games, but whatever) - I got no problem with that. For real - you earned that right, for sure.

But you want to decide, based on a couple of lists of games, that I’m ‘generally weak and missing out on life?’

What the fuck, man? Is that really the guy you want to be?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 1:52 PM, SonicGamer12 said:

So today I found out I might've been robbed of 2 online trophies for Portal 2 due to not being able to connect to Steam. People are looking into it and messaging support, but if it doesn't come back online then I have to face the facts. Of course, I'm extremely pissed off by this, but the way I see it, there are only 2 things I can do.

1. Start fresh and avoid any old games that have online trophies like the plague.

2. Continue on with my current account/hide any games on my list that have these issues.

I'm leaning way toward the latter since I've put way too much time in all my other games to have to start again (Life is too short). In a perfect world, I'd hope Sony would one day come up with a solution to this issue. Maybe if a game has unobtainable trophies we could delete it from our list or the trophies wouldn't be able to sync into our accounts in general. I wouldn't mind the hiding option so much if it wasn't for my stupid OCD and the fact that this site makes it painfully obvious that you've done so. I'm really mad right now especially because I'm a completionist even outside of doing trophies, but I guess I'll get over it one day.

How about you guys? Ever run into this situation and if so did you eventually cope with it?  

I don't have a 100% account, so having unobtainable trophies is no big deal to me.

28 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

[...] What the fuck, man? Is that really the guy you want to be?

Relax mate, I haven't even looked at your profile and I only quoted you to respond to your first point. By your own admission you've implied in the past you've been tempted to avoid a game because of difficulty. The rest of it is just my opinion aimed at the general user-base, which I'm entitled to as much as you are to yours. I haven't been around as long as you have but I'm amazed you haven't seen all of the assumptions people make with H's and then the subsequent folk who defend them. But then the very same people are happy to advocate the stigma of completionists exclusively cherry picking games just to maintain it.

Perhaps I just worded it badly but you don't always need to try and read between the lines. Certainly no need to take is so personal, you can save your keyboard-courageous strong-arms for someone else :P

And if someone else's opinion was really rendering me mute, then we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we? You don't have to take every word in the literal sense, I'm sure you are fully aware I am implying great astonishment ;)

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 2

Unobtainable, either it be too difficult or no longer possible to earn, trophy on your trophy list is healthy. Just do it and get over it. Don't finish every single game, play some difficult ones. You'll eventually get over it and have a much healthier relationship to trophies.

• Like 2

No I don't. my profile is like a 46% completion rate. I play games I want to play. I have so many incomplete games because if I try them and don't like them there is only one trophy earned sometimes. Completion percentage means little to me. Its about what trophies I do have but also how much I enjoyed playing the games. I think game enjoyment is more important than trophies.

1 hour ago, Zolkovo said:

I am constantly dumbfounded by the people who protest against the stigma of the notorious 'H' but feel it's OK to assume all completionists/100% profilers cherry-pick their games. That is simply false and seems to be born out of envy from people who've been around the block long enough to suffer from an unobtainable. If I like the look of a game I will pick it up regardless of my current ability. If a game has a notorious difficulty wall then I embrace that challenge. Quite frankly, I believe I can do anything anyone else can do as I'm not physically or mentally handicapped. It's more often than not a matter of patience and willingness to learn/adapt/evolve.

I can appreciate this sentiment and feel you have articulated it well.  To an extent, I believe that I do personally cherry-pick games, but that is mainly due to knowing what I like and liking what I know.  That being said if a game that I like the look of has difficult trophies, it won't deter me from picking it up and playing it.  I currently have Stardew Valley on my trophy list and at this point the Journey of the Prairie King trophies might as well be unobtainable to me, however if I actually spent the time on it learning the mechanics and being patient, I could get skilled enough to get them.

It always stuns me when people will pass over an amazing game, just based on the trophies alone - whether it's from a difficulty perspective or a "no plat, no play" perspective.  

As for the topic at hand, I don't have any true unobtainable trophies on my list however if I did then I would still continue to trophy hunt.  I feel like my profile is a good representation of me and it would be a shame to throw that all away over an unobtainable trophy.

• Like 4

I'm far from a 100% profile, as there's many games I like and play that also happened to have long/ difficult/ time consuming platinums that I'm either not able to get or don't have the time and patience, especially with so many new releases it's hard these days to pour 150 odd hours into just once game.

Games like the Disgaea games and FFX have indeed lowered my % since they are such time consuming and grindy plats, but I can't resist playing them since I really like them and don't want to just avoid games like that just because of the trophy list. Same with games like Star Ocean, FF9, Yakuza series etc. great games but tough plats. It would be a pity to avoid certain games for the sake of completion %. 

Although one way to get around it is to create a separate "junk" PSN account specifically for games you intend on just playing for fun and not getting the plat, reserving your main account for platinums only. 

Well, the best thing is to just not worry about having every game on your trophy collection at 100% because it seems like too much stress to deal with which is why I’m not a completionist myself because I have quite a few games on my trophy collection where the online of a game shut down, making the online trophies impossible to obtain. 

Edited by Brettyboy888
  • Like 1

I left my first account because of a single game: PES 2015 with unobtainable online trophies. I played there for 3 years, it was hard leaving it behind, but it was necessary and was a good thing for me.

Beeing a 100% completionist rewards me and make me do my best with trophy hunting and gaming in general. Completing all games tastes like perfection, even knowing that such thing doesnt exist. Does it?

I never knew I could plat Bound in only 3 days, but I did. I only knew that I would plat it someday, because I fell in love with it, because I would keep dancing my way through.

Talking about dancing! Recently I have been playing Just Dance, it is insanely hard for me, I dont really dance in real life, but Im having fun and Im really, really close to platinum Just Dance 2016. A lot of joy, but also desolation from replaying that damm song for 3 hours straight, until I managed to get 5 stars. Lol

Have your account reflect who you are, 100% or not. 100% completion rate is important if you say so. It is for me, and my best weapon is perseverance.

Edit: obviously my answer to this topic is no, I dont continue having unobtainable trophies. I like thinking that I wasnt beat by a game, instead by a server shutdown. Thats why nowadays Id be more cautions (and fast) when it comes to online rather than when it comes to an ultra hard difficulty offline game like Wolfeinstein II, for example. This baby I have all my life to master. A soccer game, in the other hand...

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 2