Next PlayStation Is Three Years Off, Sony Says

Ghost

9 minutes ago, supertrunksman said:

Interesting.  It'd be nice if Sony went with the switch style console.  Would eliminate the need to buy both a handheld and a console, and having 2 sets of games.

No.

• Like 2

I felt like 2020 would be a good time to release it, but 2021 is perfect. Why rush the PS5 when this generation still hasn't hit its peak? I feel like there's still a lot they can still do and surprise us with.

Microsoft has to come out hard at E3 with exclusives and worthwhile games to play, or they're going under. It's a joke how bad they are right now. 

Unless all you care about is backwards compatibility. Then I guess Sony's the joke because you still can't play PS2 or PS3 games you own on the PS4. :D

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

You mean release a console that is too heavy and cumbersome and limited in battery life to use as a handheld, but too weak and underpowered to use as a home console, and then only release a couple of sequels on it before resorting to selling literal boxes of carboard for $80 a pop, with games as glorified instruction manuals on how to fold them?

Yeah....

.... that would be awesome....

;) 

I didn't say to release a switch with the Sony logo on it.

Just because one company didn't do it the way you want, doesn't mean another can't address those issues.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, supertrunksman said:

Interesting.  It'd be nice if Sony went with the switch style console.  Would eliminate the need to buy both a handheld and a console, and having 2 sets of games.

They don't view Nintendo as competition or a threat in any way. I highly doubt they're going to merge the Vita 2 (if they bother going down that rabbit hole again) with the PS5.

As a PS4 Pro and a Switch owner... I can tell you I personally don't play games in handheld. They're designed to be played on the go anywhere, but I don't play my Switch anywhere. I don't have enough down time outside to kick back 30 minutes to an hour to play a game, and even if I did, I don't like the feeling of random people watching me.

I'm fine with Sony doing what made them so good. Focusing on the console experience.

1 minute ago, Valyrious said:

They don't view Nintendo as competition or a threat in any way. I highly doubt they're going to merge the Vita 2 (if they bother going down that rabbit hole again) with the PS5.

As a PS4 Pro and a Switch owner... I can tell you I personally don't play games in handheld. They're designed to be played on the go anywhere, but I don't play my Switch anywhere. I don't have enough down time outside to kick back 30 minutes to an hour to play a game, and even if I did, I don't like the feeling of random people watching me.

I'm fine with Sony doing what made them so good. Focusing on the console experience.

To each their own I suppose.  I get plenty of handheld time via long car rides, long flights, just generally being out of town.

• Like 1

I'd like to point out now, before people start getting butt hurt once 3 years goes by and we don't have a new system, that it clearly says in there that they're going to spend the next 3 years to prepare for the next step. That does not mean the next Playstation is going to be released in 3 years. This means that in the next 3 years they want to be moving on to the next step of releasing a console. They're going to spend the next 3 years developing the system behind closed doors, and once they start to get to the final stages of development we'll get an announcement of a new system, but we won't actually get the system until well after that. We're probably looking at at least 4-5 years until actual release.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I'd like to point out now, before people start getting butt hurt once 3 years goes by and we don't have a new system, that it clearly says in there that they're going to spend the next 3 years to prepare for the next step. That does not mean the next Playstation is going to be released in 3 years. This means that in the next 3 years they want to be moving on to the next step of releasing a console. They're going to spend the next 3 years developing the system behind closed doors, and once they start to get to the final stages of development we'll get an announcement of a new system, but we won't actually get the system until well after that. We're probably looking at at least 4-5 years until actual release.

You don't know that. "Step" is vague. You're making assumptions. If you don't think they've been doing R&D for PS5 for years already, then you're silly.

The only real information we have on possible work on PS5 is this https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sony-LLVM-Ryzen-Improvements . Sony making open source contributions to an AMD compiler for a processor that the PS4 is not built on. They could still be testing the waters to see what CPU should be used for the next gen console, but given they used AMD this generation, it seems like a safe assumption that they plan to use Ryzen for the PS5. Which generation of Ryzen though, is yet to be revealed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

You don't know that. "Step" is vague. You're making assumptions. If you don't think they've been doing R&D for PS5 for years already, then you're silly.

You're saying I'm making assumptions, but I'm pointing out that everyone else is by assuming it's being released in 3 years, even though that's not what they said. You can say that "step" is vague, but it's really not. The steps for releasing a console are, developing the console, announcing the console, and then releasing the console. If they're going to spend the next 3 years developing the console, then the next step in that process would be announcement, not release.

I never said they weren't doing R&D, but neither of us don't know for sure if they have been or not. As far as anyone knows, neither of use work for Sony. My point is that people shouldn't just be assuming that it's going to be released in 3 years, because that's not what they said. They only said they would be preparing for the next step. Nowhere in there did they say in certain terms that the next console is releasing in 3 years. It's meant to be vague, because they don't really know when it's going to be released. I've been around for a while and seen plenty of consoles come and go. I know how these things work. If you really think the console is being released in 3 years, then you're silly.

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Unless all you care about is backwards compatibility. Then I guess Sony's the joke because you still can't play PS2 or PS3 games you own on the PS4. :D

What do you call all the re-makes and re-masters that have proliferated on the PS4 in recent years?  ?

Oh, wait.  You probably meant the ability to play those games without having to fork over more money to Sony in the first place for a new copy.  Nevermind....

• Like 1

For all people know they could be just saying this to throw whackbox off course... I could see them saying this and then releasing it late next year honestly... but who knows... 2020 I feel would be okay in my book... gives me more time to work on my backlog of around 2500 games lol

That sounds about right. I have no interest in getting a "next gen" console anytime soon. Even with a 2020/2021 launch, I'll probably wait another three years for the "Pro" version. My backlog is already ridiculous enough without adding another platform on top of that.

• Like 2