Next PlayStation Is Three Years Off, Sony Says

Ghost

1 hour ago, ExHaseo said:

If you really think the console is being released in 3 years

Never said that. Maybe learn to comprehend what you read. You're stating definitively that they will not do something and you have no idea if they will or won't. Since you said you don't work for Sony, how do you know what their internal plans are? Oh right, you don't by your own admission. In yet you're making a definitive claim anyway. Despite the quote, “We need to depart from the traditional way of looking at the console life cycle". Your entire argument is based on a traditional way of looking at a console life cycle. When they said that they need to depart from that.

So maybe you should rethink how much internal knowledge you have of how things are totally definitely going to end up. Because you don't know. None of us do. Sony might not even have it figured out just yet. We don't know.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, supertrunksman said:

To each their own I suppose.  I get plenty of handheld time via long car rides, long flights, just generally being out of town.

A lot of people drive their own cars and don't have the luxury or high paying salary jobs to go on multiple flights.

Edited by Zach

Well I better start saving change money these next 3yrs. No more for hobos on the street. I think I should have a couple hundred save up then. PS5 first day!!!!

I hope the only reason for waiting this long is to make sure that their next CPU/GPU can handle PS3 emulation, similar to how MS is doing OG Xbox and 360 emulation now. I want to go to my PS5 library and be able to download every game I have ever bought digitally on their store.

The way XBO plays SSX3 now is a damn good reason to get one, since EA doesn't seem to be interested in making a new game in that series.

Edited by soniq

1 hour ago, soniq said:

I hope the only reason for waiting this long is to make sure that their next CPU/GPU can handle PS3 emulation, similar to how MS is doing OG Xbox and 360 emulation now. I want to go to my PS5 library and be able to download every game I have ever bought digitally on their store.

The way XBO plays SSX3 now is a damn good reason to get one, since EA doesn't seem to be interested in making a new game in that series.

Probably going to make people pay for games they already own again, just like the psp and ps2 games 

I don't feel the need for a PS5 right now as I just bought my PS4 last year. I probably won't even buy it Day One (or even Year One) anyway and I'm still very salty about the Vita situation.

Sounds great to me. I still have a huge backlog on my PS4 (and even some unopened games on my PS3 and Vita) and 2021 would be more than fine for them to release the next console. Even if they release it even later, like @ExHaseo said, I wouldn't mind one bit. I think the Playstation 4 is already a pretty decent machine and I have absolutely no need for 4K in my games.

My theory is that the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X threw a wrench into the traditional console life cycle. I'm assuming the platform holders want to spend more time developing the next hardware iteration because the difference between generations is getting harder and harder to notice. I would even say that the 8th Generation's cycle might have reset with the consoles' half-steps, just so they could have some more time to develop the next full step, while giving the hardcore hardware enthusiasts something to hold on to.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Probably going to regret responding, but...

To each their own, but it sounds very much like an opinion of someone who hasn't done any research. As someone who almost exclusively uses the Switch as a handheld: it's neither to heavy nor too cumbersome (I thought the Vita was too small actually, kept hurting my hands when I tried to play it), and battery life is pretty good (especially with less demanding titles that don't feature huge open worlds). As for weak/underpowered: yeah, if you want high end graphics, feel free to stick with PC/PS4Pro/X1X and ignore that to many people, it's a secondary device for Nintendo exclusives and for gaming on the go. As for sequels(/ports): as if PS4 was any different, and for either console it's not the whole picture. As for Labo: it's still weird to me how many people keep going "DUHR $80 for cardboard!" while they're obviously not the target audience.

Well, don’t know about ‘research’ but I did own one... (sold now)

17 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Can't we just all agree that PS4, Switch, X1 and PC are all different kinds of gaming machine that cater to different kinds of gamer? Can't we stand together as gamers without resorting to infighting?

This whole console war thing seems as weird to me as the DC versus Marvel fanbase. It's all comics, it's all video games. We're a small enough groups of people as it is, let's not let the groups splinter any more. There's no need to stay blindly exclusive to one single mega company. And trash people that are exclusive to another company. Plenty of people aren't exclusively committed anyway 

I agree with all of this - I wasn’t saying Nintendo shouldn’t do what Nintendo does, just that it would be a massive let down if Sony started trying to do what Nintendo does - for exactly the reasons you mention.

The two consoles are aimed at different market segments, so it would be a bummer for Sony to aim a new console at the Nintendo market.

Not to mention the fact that they have a pretty bad track record when they do - PSMove was not successful chasing the motion control market, Playstation All Stars was not successful at chasing the Smash Bros market, even the Vita was not successful when chasing the DS market - it only really came into it’s own as an indie-on-the-go console.

I agree that ‘console-wars’ are dumb, but I’ve watched time and time again as one company does something that takes off big for a while, then all the others start chasing that success and falling on their faces. Sony should do what they do, and let Nintendo do what they do.

So we basically agree :) 

As for Labo though.... c’mon.

Let’s not get silly.

It’s a box of cardboard with a price tag.

32 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Can't we just all agree that PS4, Switch, X1 and PC are all different kinds of gaming machine that cater to different kinds of gamer? Can't we stand together as gamers without resorting to infighting?

Yeah, sure, but wouldn't it be super weird for the PS5 to cater to a completely different type of gamer than the PS4? Because that's what the person he was replying to was basically asking for. Also nobody mentioned any console wars before you did, people were just pointing out they would not be happy if Sony suddenly decided to go with a jack of all trades approach.

27 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, don’t know about ‘research’ but I did own one... (sold now)

I agree with all of this - I wasn’t saying Nintendo shouldn’t do what Nintendo does, just that it would be a massive let down if Sony started trying to do what Nintendo does - for exactly the reasons you mention.

The two consoles are aimed at different market segments, so it would be a bummer for Sony to aim a new console at the Nintendo market.

Not to mention the fact that they have a pretty bad track record when they do - PSMove was not successful chasing the motion control market, Playstation All Stars was not successful at chasing the Smash Bros market, even the Vita was not successful when chasing the DS market - it only really came into it’s own as an indie-on-the-go console.

I agree that ‘console-wars’ are dumb, but I’ve watched time and time again as one company does something that takes off big for a while, then all the others start chasing that success and falling on their faces. Sony should do what they do, and let Nintendo do what they do.

So we basically agree :) 

Agreed. And I didn't know you owned one, at least that makes weight/battery a personal opinion thing instead kf just something picked up on Sony boards. Though I still think battery life is a weird one, as personally I can go for hours without needing a recharge. Though when I'm on the move I pick, say, Celeste instead of Zelda to play, which drastically improves battery life.

Let’s not get silly.

I'm semi interested in Labo and would have gotten it if it was €40 instead of €60 (and if there hadn't veen a few other releases that were more aimed at me, like Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze). Though I'm not a part of the target audience either. I know a couple of people with small kids who have Labo and those kids apparently think it's a blast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Let’s not get silly.

You could say Lego is plastic with a price tag. Try buying some kids an actual cardboard box and make that their birthday gift. And then tell them '' It's just like Labo, only cheaper. Don't be sheep kids''. I'm sure you get the point.

Don't get so hung up on the marterial. It takes multiple hours to completely build those Labo sets, and kids absolutely love that. It's like Lego, only bigger and actually more fun for most kids I've met. In addition Nintendo let's you get the Blueprints for the Labo sets for free. I think many people don't know that.

We're not the target demographic and we never were. You don't actually go out and curse dolls as ''Plastic humanoid objects with a price tag'', you know it's not for you and that's okay. Many people seem to take offense (not you in particular) because it's released on a platform that is in parts aimed at them. But I think thats just silly.

L

Edited by Stardew Shelly

51 minutes ago, Stardew Shelly said:

You could say Lego is plastic with a price tag. Try buying some kids an actual cardboard box and make that their birthday gift. And then tell them '' It's just like Labo, only cheaper. Don't be sheep kids''. I'm sure you get the point.

Don't get so hung up on the marterial. It takes multiple hours to completely build those Labo sets, and kids absolutely love that. It's like Lego, only bigger and actually more fun for most kids I've met. In addition Nintendo let's you get the Blueprints for the Labo sets for free. I think many people don't know that.

We're not the target demographic and we never were. You don't actually go out and curse dolls as ''Plastic humanoid objects with a price tag'', you know it's not for you and that's okay. Many people seem to take offense (not you in particular) because it's released on a platform that is in parts aimed at them. But I think thats just silly.

L

I think you are missing the point. I’m a father of a 4 year-old - so I am the target demographic, in so much as there is no child out there who has $80 worth of spending money they can buy this stuff with on their own. I’m the one whose money they want, not the kid who will actually play with the stuff (for the 30mins it will last before it breaks)

If a company was marketing dolls to children with an $80 price tag, you can sure bet I would be cursing them as “plastic humanoid objects with a price tag” if my kid was pestering me for them!

My bigger issue with Labo though, is that the Switch is still early in it’s life cycle. Nintendo is a tech company - after the debacle that was the Wii-U, they ought to be plowing every available resource into producing quality videogames for their new system, not releasing an electronic instruction manual for ocerpriced physical toys. 

Sure, I agree that Labo is not competing with other videogames, but rather with Lego / Mechano / K’nects etc. however, for the price of each Labo kit you could get a pretty sweet Lego set that is significantly more long-lasting, versatile and creative, and those don’t require the considerable up-front cost of having to buy the kid a Switch first.

Also, Nintendo haven’t released enough games for the switch to justify pivoting to an alrernative revenue stream like this!

Labo might be a cool addition to the Switch 2 or 3 years from now, once the hardware capabilities have been sufficiently tapped, and there is an extensive catalogue of games and the user-base is looking for some wierder, outside- the-box things to use it for, but releasing it now feels like they are trying to milk money out of parents with a silly gimmick because they haven’t got enough games  to fill out a collection yet.

Regardless of when the PS5 gets released, I won't be making the same mistake of a day one purchase as I did with the PS4. By the time there were next-gen games and exclusives I was actually interested in, the price had dropped significantly and even then I still had a sizeable last gen backlog to get through. It's also probably worth waiting it out a couple of years for them to iron out all the bugs that slip through QA, and for them to resolve/improve hardware components e.g. the launch DS4 had a myriad of issues, let's not even get started on the OG PS3 launch model.

The only thing that would sway me is if there were at least a handful of extremely enticing day one exclusives/releases. Chances are that these will be also available on the PS4 for a while (at a cheaper price).

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I think you are missing the point. I’m a father of a 4 year-old - so I am the target demographic, in so much as there is no child out there who has $80 worth of spending money they can buy this stuff with on their own. I’m the one whose money they want, not the kid who will actually play with the stuff (for the 30mins it will last before it breaks)

If a company was marketing dolls to children with an $80 price tag, you can sure bet I would be cursing them as “plastic humanoid objects with a price tag” if my kid was pestering me for them!

My bigger issue with Labo though, is that the Switch is still early in it’s life cycle. Nintendo is a tech company - after the debacle that was the Wii-U, they ought to be plowing every available resource into producing quality videogames for their new system, not releasing an electronic instruction manual for ocerpriced physical toys. 

Sure, I agree that Labo is not competing with other videogames, but rather with Lego / Mechano / K’nects etc. however, for the price of each Labo kit you could get a pretty sweet Lego set that is significantly more long-lasting, versatile and creative, and those don’t require the considerable up-front cost of having to buy the kid a Switch first.

Also, Nintendo haven’t released enough games for the switch to justify pivoting to an alrernative revenue stream like this!

Labo might be a cool addition to the Switch 2 or 3 years from now, once the hardware capabilities have been sufficiently tapped, and there is an extensive catalogue of games and the user-base is looking for some wierder, outside- the-box things to use it for, but releasing it now feels like they are trying to milk money out of parents with a silly gimmick because they haven’t got enough games  to fill out a collection yet.

See, that's a fair point I can agree with. I know it does not change your perspective but only the big robot is 80 bucks, the other set is 60$, seems fair to mention that. In my opinion it's nice Nintendo keeps being Nintendo and tries new things, but your criticism is justified. If the price would drop permanently, would you have a different look at it?

20 minutes ago, Stardew Shelly said:

See, that's a fair point I can agree with. I know it does not change your perspective but only the big robot is 80 bucks, the other set is 60$, seems fair to mention that. In my opinion it's nice Nintendo keeps being Nintendo and tries new things, but your criticism is justified. If the price would drop permanently, would you have a different look at it?

Hmmm.

Well, I hadn’t really thought about what price I’d be comfortable with, but I reckon as a parent it would be much easier to stomach if the actual disc part was just one disc with all the Labo kits’ instructions for every pack on it, that came with some kind of starter pack of 2 or 3 smaller projects, for maybe $30-40, then additional, bigger packs were just the carboard pieces for $20ish?

It’s hard to justify higher than that for me, as Labo doesn’t have the whole “it encorages a world of imagination!” factor that Lego does, since all kids end up with the same final product, and it doesn’t seem like it can be destructed easily and rebuilt? It doesn’t really encorage creativity, it is more just rewarding patience. (Which isn’t nothing in young children, I’ll grant you, but creativity is more of a thing to be focussed on, I think)

• Like 1

Not sure if I'd be that excited for the Playstation 5 or not kind of would rather have some sort full dive VR at this point maybe by Playstation 7 if were lucky.
I do hope they plan keeping Playstation 3 servers online until at least 2025 or maybe 2029 so I have plenty of time on getting some platinum trophies before servers go down.

Interesting! Luckily this works out for me - my PS3 and PS4 are in storage and I won't be back to play them until 2020. When I return to the states, I can catch up on some games before the next big system comes out.

Edited by DrHambone