Old Eminem

Dreakon139

I'm not sure why, but I decided to see what old Eminem sounded like. I frequent a music site as well as here, and everyone seems to agree that his Marshall Mathers LP was one of the biggest albums of its time. Considering how the members of that site generally dislike Eminem, that's a raving endorsement.

I just have to say wow... I don't even know what to call it. It's rap I guess. I don't like rap... but the intensity and raw emotion of some of these songs is like nothing I've ever heard before. I'm more or less referring to the song 'Kim'. It's pretty much murder on a audio file. There's absolutely no holding back (though the end feels like a little much). The beat is chilling. How an album that has a song like that on it became a symbol of a generation and what some might call a highly influential masterpiece is unlike anything possible these days.

As horrible as that song is... I can't stop listening. Does that make me insane?

No, humans are very interested in violence and things that take us out of our comfort zone. As long as you know where your morals are, you can appreciate a song for its sound rather than its message. However, I can't say I really like that track in either respects. It's very redeeming though to see where his thematic direction has gone since.

Marshall Mathers LP was definitely his best. It's such a powerful and angry album. All of his new stuff is just pop club songs and stuff, but MM was way better than anything at the time. You had guys like Ja Rule and Jay-Z rapping about women and money and then you had Eminem rapping about the craziest shit that no other rapper would ever think of saying. He had great flow and speed and he could play with words like no other. Just listen to 'Criminal', 'Kill You', 'The Way I am', 'Remember Me?' and 'I'm back'. The Eminem show is ok, but it was not as powerful.

• Like 1

Up until The Eminem Show, I really dug his style. Even that album I was a fan of. Since then, however, I've been pretty off-put by the direction he's taken. He certainly doesn't have the intesity or rawness he began his career with and seems content with posting singles featuring either the latest female flavour of the month or a slow-witted, annoying puppet. I wish he would return to his old ways and put out some more dope lyricism backed by decent beats.

• Like 2

Infinite is Em at his unrefined rawest. He's never sounded as hungry since. The MMLP is by far my favourite album by him, but each album has at least a couple of decent tracks (yep, maybe even Relapse if you include the refill release!).

I think part of the problem is, everybody got so used to Eminem being labelled as the face of rap by the media, that he got knocked for every single move he made after the release of that album. Yeah, he probably did get too big for his boots, and yeah the drugs didnt help either. He certainly lost his edge for a while there.

So many people want to support the next new "from the underground" artist that they find it easy to slate anyone current. Nas went through it, Jay Z went through it, the only reason Biggie and Pac are held in such high esteem is because they are dead. (I love them both, but sorry, Its true!)

I've recently been listening to Recovery and the new Bad meets Evil album, and I honestly believe Em is finding his way back to his best. Ignore the chart bangers and listen to some of the lyrics on the album tracks, honestly some of the flow is fucking bananas.

The guy is by no means my favourite rapper, but he does deserve a place as one of the greats... and maybe its just me, but since his return, I'm hearing a lot less bubblegum rap and a start of a return to lyricism in the mainstream, which can only be a good thing...

Unless of course you love Lil wayne, Drake and these other so called rappers that couldnt rhyme their way out of a paper bag. (IMHO)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...