Never Sonic 3?

don't know if it's true but I remember that I read an article back then that it's a copyright claims because Michael Jackson did involved working on the soundtracks of sonic 3, I hope it's a joke been thrown around because it's ridiculous!

the other reason is something to do about the cut been made that Sonic & Knuckles turned into Sonic 3.

the ps2 and GameCube have a collection called Sonic Gem Collection it got sonic 3 version... maybe Michael Jackson was still around that time?

the Wii virtual console got the full Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

14 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

don't know if it's true but I remember that I read an article back then that it's a copyright claims because Michael Jackson did involved working on the soundtracks of sonic 3, I hope it's a joke been thrown around because it's ridiculous!

the other reason is something to do about the cut been made that Sonic & Knuckles turned into Sonic 3.

the ps2 and GameCube have a collection called Sonic Gem Collection it got sonic 3 version... maybe Michael Jackson was still around that time?

the Wii virtual console got the full Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

That was Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Sonic Gems Collection included Sonic R, Sonic The Fighters, Sonic CD and other minor games.

Fun fact is that Mega Collection Plus included Sonic 3 & Knuckles (together and separately) but it didn't come to PS3 due to "emulation issues", lol.

• Like 1

I actually think there might be some truth to the rumours about the music. Maybe there's a deal in place to give the Jackson estate a certain percentage of the money earned from each re-release (giving them an disproportionate amount for a compilation)? The Ecco games also aren't in this collection due to legal reasons. You can read about that here. My guess is that whatever understanding they came it involves no more cashing in on the IP without his consent or something like that.

26 minutes ago, Jigsy1 said:

If I remember correctly, Michael Jackson was involved in some way with the Ice Cap music.

The Jetzons were behind Ice Cap Zone, as it is a direct 16 bit rendition of there song Hard Times.

While Jackson was behind a good number of Sonic 3 songs, he wasn't the only one. Here's more info on that, and why they may not be willing to rerelease it.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Game_Development:Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3/Music#Brad_Buxer_Interview

Very disappointing these games didn't make it onto the list.

Even with copyright issues and issues involving the Michael Jackson estate, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was hands down one of the best experiences on the Sega Genesis. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was short compared to the first two games, but putting Sonic & Knuckles to lock on Sonic 3 more than made up for it.

Without copyright problems I don't see how these people who compile these collections wouldn't be able to find a way to have a lock on feature. ROMs did this over a decade ago, and given today's technology they shouldn't have any problem finding workarounds for these old games.

I think there's a chance it'll be sold as DLC though, because if the Jackson estate demands royalties from this it'll be based on the individual DLC sales and not the complete package. It's sold separately on Steam already, like every other game. Yes, it was included in previous compilations but maybe SEGA got burned and had to pay up quite a bit and aren't looking to repeat that mistake. That's my theory, anyway.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:57 AM, grilled_cheez_3 said:

Sonic 3 (as well as Sonic & Knuckles) was in the PS3 collection. According to the wikipedia page they didn't have development time to implement the "lock on" emulation e.g. Sonic 3&Knuckles. I don't think music licensing issues were involved tbh.

Usually the video game articles (Sega in particular) are very well sourced kinda shocked when I looked at it there wasn't a source for this bit lol.

But I did find the articles where the producer does state the reason Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and other lock-on games) wasn't included was due to technical reasons. So had they would have included the lock-on games in the PS3/X360 collection it would have meant dropping all the extras due to them trying to get the various games to emulate properly. [1] [2]

Its possible that Jackson's involvement could be an issue but I don't think that Sega would still have digital sales of Sonic 3 on PSN & XBLA. I don't think that they would have been able to allow Xbox One to be backwards compatible with the X360 versions as well. As much as I want Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles to be on PS4 I'm cool with having my X360 digital versions backwards compatible with my Xbox One.

Edited by ScoldingComa7
My bad there was no PSN release of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles

6 hours ago, ScoldingComa7 said:

Usually the video game articles (Sega in particular) are very well sourced kinda shocked when I looked at it there wasn't a source for this bit lol.

But I did find the articles where the producer does state the reason Sonic 3 & Knuckles (and other lock-on games) wasn't included was due to technical reasons. So had they would have included the lock-on games in the PS3/X360 collection it would have meant dropping all the extras due to them trying to get the various games to emulate properly. [1] [2]

Its possible that Jackson's involvement could be an issue but I don't think that Sega would still have digital sales of Sonic 3 on PSN & XBLA. I don't think that they would have been able to allow Xbox One to be backwards compatible with the X360 versions as well. As much as I want Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles to be on PS4 I'm cool with having my X360 digital versions backwards compatible with my Xbox One.

The whole problem with S3 is that we don't know the truth since we never, as far as I know, got an official statement about the matter. This all started with the release of Sonic 3 on PC that had different music compared to the Genesis/Megadrive version so the music was always the thing people thought was the problem when Sonic 3 started disappearing. The licensing problem might have to do with newer releases compared to old ones. The Ultimate Collection, for example, was released on 20th of February 2009 in Europe (10th in the USA) months before MJ died (25 of June 2009). So it might be that Jackson didn't have a problem with the game but once he died the estate might have told SEGA that newer releases were out (the steam version of this game was released a year later so it might be that a deal was done while MJ was alive so it's still fine). But this is me speculating.

Also, I might be wrong but I don't remember Sonic 3, S&K, S3&K or S2&K ever releasing on the PSN. I think only Sonic 3 and S&K were released on XBLA.

On 28/05/2018 at 10:30 AM, BurnedChipmunk said:

Perhaps with enough demand it'll be released as DLC... I'd buy it.

It would be awesome if SEGA made a deal with all developers to release their games as DLC like EA so we can get games like Desert Strike, Road Rash. Konami for Rocket Knight, Castlevania, etc.

Even if the money they made was smaller compared to selling just their own games it would greatly boost sales of this game.

16 hours ago, TugaSonic said:

Also, I might be wrong but I don't remember Sonic 3, S&K, S3&K or S2&K ever releasing on the PSN. I think only Sonic 3 and S&K were released on XBLA.

Sorry my bad I forgot the PS3 never saw the individual release (which is very odd) I was thinking of the Wii's Virtual Console. Both the individual Virtual Console & Xbox Live Arcade versions have the lock-on technology. Still odd that PS3 never saw the individual release of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

• 3 years later...

Really sucks they completely left out Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection were released months prior to Michael Jackson's death in June 2009.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles were released on Xbox Live just mere weeks before Michael Jackson passed away. I would kill to get these games re-released on PS4 or PS5. They were a huge part of my childhood.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

Really sucks they completely left out Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection were released months prior to Michael Jackson's death in June 2009.

Sonic 3 and Soniic & Knuckles were released on Xbox Live just mere weeks before Michael Jackson passed away. I would kill to get these games re-released on PS4 or PS5. They were a huge part of my childhood.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are thankfully finally getting re-released in the Sonic Origins collection, releasing sometime in 2022. I don't think they ever actually announced what platforms it's coming to, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't release on PS4 and/or PS5.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 3:26 AM, Lance_87 said:

Yes..... even Sonic 3 will be made by Whitehead.

I don't recall that being officially confirmed. What has been officially confirmed, however, is true widescreen support, new features not seen in any prior re-release, the reason why the collection is being developed, the targeted release period, and some other things, but among them is not the collection being developed by Whitehead or that his remasters of 1, 2, and CD will be used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

I don't recall that being officially confirmed. What has been officially confirmed, however, is true widescreen support, new features not seen in any prior re-release, the reason why the collection is being developed, the targeted release period, and some other things, but among them is not the collection being developed by Whitehead or that his remasters of 1, 2, and CD will be used.

Wait, what? They talked about native ports, aren't Sonic 1, 2 and CD by Whitehead native ports?