So about the Battlefield 5 reaction.

Tusked-Lattice

I'm getting tired of having the exact same caucasian brunette permastubble male protagonist so many times in AAA games. It's cool that some devs think of something else and it's stupid that people immediately yell "CATERING TO SJW'S DUHR!" when the protagonist is not a white male. Makes me ashamed to be a white male myself. Like how Star Wars "fans" complained about John Boyega being a stormtrooper, claiming stormtroopers should always be clones, while any true (or, not demented) fan knows the clones were just a thing during the prequels and that by the time of the Rebellion, few if any clones were still alive and the main batch of the Empire's army was recruited.

I think that with a game like Battlefield 5, people who want it to be "realistic" probably mean "looking like those classic Hollywood films with white, blue eyed protagonists and no minority to be seen".

1 hour ago, ElBolovo said:

I thought that putting a MECHANICAL ARM in the girl a little to much

It's like Deadpool says: "At what point do audiences say 'Enough with the robotic arms!'?"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gibbo_0113 said:

What does annoy me is that we are seeing a lot more companies catering to the SJW's. Just make the game how you want without worrying about hurting someones feelings. 

4 hours ago, novemberrx said:

The people are also upset that Dice is shoving political correctness down their fans' throats. But you can't make an authentic WW2 game and be politically correct at the same time. It just doesn't work. You have to choose one. I have to say that I'm very tired of the current SJW/PC culture and I'm a female. And of course there are those that complain about females just because but for me the problem is not the women per se, but how the women are portrayed in the game. Having a Soviet female soldier? Cool! In fact, would have loved to play as Lyudmila Pavlichenko in a mission. And that is how people wanted women to be portrayed: in an authentic way. Personally and I might be in the minority in this, I don't know, but I have never been upset that the gender I represent is not represented in a game. Never. I'd rather have no female characters at all if the alternative is to be there just to fill a quota.

Is it a fact that they made the lead character a female because of SJW or are you just assuming that? (honest question, have no idea)

Because if it's a fact that's just dumb, or is the result of the pariah that is Anita Sarwhatever still lurking around EA

If you're assuming though, that's very ignorant of you, now you can't change anything in a game without it being because of someone being outraged?

• Like 1

I don't recall this box art getting any outrage. :P

Image result for medal of honor resistance box art

I perfectly understand the reason why gamers want to fight back against what they perceive as SJW culture invading video games. Maybe EA are just trying to earn some brownie points with a certain crowd, but at the end of the day, it's just box art. It's not like there weren't any women who fought in WW2. Getting mad over every little thing makes it harder to take you seriously when something truly outrageous happens. Choose your battles.

2 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

Makes me ashamed to be a white male myself.

It doesn't surprise me at all that you're one of those people.

• Like 1

While the response to the woman on the cover is clearly an overreaction it’s also a provoked reaction. Dice was fully aware that their cover would lead to at least a small amount of backlash and i don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume they went with it specifically for that reason. 

They’ve gotten people to market their game for them by saying that people are only shitting on this game because they’re sexists which kinda reminds me of the Ghostbusters reboot and its marketing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HardXDXtraga said:

Is it a fact that they made the lead character a female because of SJW or are you just assuming that? (honest question, have no idea)

Because if it's a fact that's just dumb, or is the result of the pariah that is Anita Sarwhatever still lurking around EA

If you're assuming though, that's very ignorant of you, now you can't change anything in a game without it being because of someone being outraged?

Well, I can't really prove that but it seems to me that way. So yes, I am assuming, however as I said in my previous message, I have no problem with women in the game, it is their portrayal. She is a British woman with a prosthetic arm fighting in frontlines. If you are trying to be authentic, there's already a couple of things killing it. Would make more sense if she was a French resistance fighter or Russian. E.g. there is going to be a war story situated in Norway where a girl tries to save her family and that is pretty cool to me.

In addition, these responses from Dice seem pretty SJW to me (taken from Twitter and Facebook). Just to give a few examples, there's a lot more:

Spoiler

[55mm37.jpg

They also started to use the hashtag #everyonesbattlefield when people started to comment with #notmybattlefield on social media. So... yeah.

Plus, Dice has had 10 years to include women in their games with Bad Companies, BF3 and BF4 (well the latter two did have a female pilot, Hannah and a pretty cool major Greenland in the campaign but you know, in the MP) and they haven't done it. And now they decide it is a good time to include women who represented a fraction of a fraction of the fighting troops in a war that evokes a lot of emotions in people and that is almost sacred in some countries. I mean, if you think that everyone is going to take that well when at least some of the people are expecting a relatively authentic WW2 experience, I have some bad news for you.

Edited by novemberrx
Switched the URL for the image as it didn't seem to work properly
  • Like 3

Plus, Dice has had 10 years to include women in their games with Bad Companies, BF3 and BF4 (well the latter two did have a female pilot, Hannah and a pretty cool major Greenland in the campaign but you know, in the MP) and they haven't done it. And now they decide it is a good time to include women who represented a fraction of a fraction of the fighting troops in a war that evokes a lot of emotions in people and that is almost sacred in some countries. I mean, if you think that everyone is going to take that well when at least some of the people are expecting a relatively authentic WW2 experience, I have some bad news for you.

You can't please everyone. It's not even a counter or worry.

If DICE had 20 or 30 years to include women in BF and it wouldn't be an argument against DICE deciding to put women into a game.

To be fair I'd say the whole female debacle is the least of my worries concerning this game after watching the trailer ...

like honestly I just feel genuinely disinterested in the game as that whole trailer just kind of screamed generic FPS to me since it more or less just went through as many cliched action movie scenes as it could ...

Jumping from an exploding building narrowly escaping in the nick of time

No scoping an enemy with a sniper rifle

Straight up ramboing (spraying everywhere) with an LMG 

Shooting down a plane by shooting a thrown back grenade in mid air ...

Straight up copy paste saving private ryan knife struggle sequence 

If it hadn't been for the battlefield title at the end and theme song playing in the tank ride I might actually have guessed this was gameplay from a future COD title ?

As for the female ... eh whatever in my opinion she won't really make or break the game. All I really have to say about her is I find her design choices really strange and more fitting for a character in a game like fortnite 

Oh well from what I understand this might have been footage from what their new 4 player co-op mode might look like so here's hoping thats indeed true and the actual single player and multiplayer footage are more exciting ?

Edited by Rune2303

@novemberrx About the 10 years DICE as had to include women in their games I agree with @TJ_Solo, does it matter how much time they had?

Maybe they're just tired of having a male protagonist everytime and want to change it up. Besides, if they're already giving her a prosthetic arm and swords to the other guy the 'authenticity' already went out the window. So if you remove authenticity from the argument does it matter which sex you play as the main protagonist?

I understand if all the fuss is about the authenticity part, but if it turns into 'I don't want a girl to be the main character because that's not accurate' it just sounds petty. Even if DICE is just being politically correct, what's so bad about having a woman kick some nazi ass.

Also @novemberrx, I can't see the photos you posted, can you pm me links please? ? 

None of the shit you guy's are talking about matters.

The reason us Vets hate V - is because it's a COPY!

This is the first clear indication of the demise of DICE. EA has strangled every last bit of talent out of the studio.

This is the beginning of the End.

5 hours ago, Cthulhu said:

think that with a game like Battlefield 5, people who want it to be "realistic" probably mean "looking like those classic Hollywood films with white, blue eyed protagonists and no minority to be seen".

Yeah, that must be it. Everyone who disagrees with you is a racist or sexist. 

I personally feel the backlash is because the game (or trailer) doesn't seem like a Battlefield game. I'm a fan of both CoD and Battlefield, and if I were to watch the BFV trailer without knowing what it was, I would think it is for a new CoD game. There was a lot of silly, over the top action and things that look like they were taken straight from CoD or a Hollywood action movie. For a franchise that is usually seen as a more down to earth and realistic shooter (Yes, I know about Battlefield 2142) BFV seems very out of place. In my opinion, of course. 

If this was revealed as a Bad Company game, I don't think there'd be any backlash at all. Those games are known for their over the top silliness and I think that would be a great trailer for Bad Company 3. Regardless, I'm excited for both BFV and Blops IIII. 

Parker

• Like 3

I think it's a wonderful thing. I seen people  bashing them and using homophobic slang to say "oh great next we'll see tranny soliders in Battlefield 6"

Children (even they are over the age of 18) with no maturity shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

None of the shit you guy's are talking about matters.

The reason us Vets hate V - is because it's a COPY!

This is the first clear indication of the demise of DICE. EA has strangled every last bit of talent out of the studio.

This is the beginning of the End.

You could honestly say this about almost every other game developer out there though. 

Edited by Dangisuckatgamin

43 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

You can't please everyone. It's not even a counter or worry.

If DICE had 20 or 30 years to include women in BF and it wouldn't be an argument against DICE deciding to put women into a game.

Of course you can't and that is exactly why Dice tries to please everyone and ends up upsetting about half of the fan base.

Also to clarify, what I meant with 10 years is that during that time they released games which were set in the near future in which they could have perfectly added women. But they didn't. Which makes this seem like an SJW stunt. No one complains that there are women in Rainbow Six: Siege or PUBG because they are set in modern times.

When you pick a setting which is as known as WW2, you are already setting expectations for people. People know a lot about this war and they care about it, for a reason. Dice started the reveal by saying "we're returning to our roots." Again, setting expectations for veteran players. And then Dice threw it all out of the window. In some ways it would have been easier for Dice to explain why some demographics are left out instead of now trying to explain why everyone is involved. And now that everyone is involved, it seems like an SJW stunt as well. I just wish some developer would have guts to make creative decisions in which they didn't have a need to please everyone.

2 minutes ago, HardXDXtraga said:

@novemberrx About the 10 years DICE as had to include women in their games I agree with @TJ_Solo, does it matter how much time they had?

Maybe they're just tired of having a male protagonist everytime and want to change it up. Besides, if they're already giving her a prosthetic arm and swords to the other guy the 'authenticity' already went out the window. So if you remove authenticity from the argument does it matter which sex you play as the main protagonist?

I understand if all the fuss is about the authenticity part, but if it turns into 'I don't want a girl to be the main character because that's not accurate' it just sounds petty. Even if DICE is just being politically correct, what's so bad about having a woman kick some nazi ass.

Also @novemberrx, I can't see the photos you posted, can you pm me links please? 1f642.png 

Read the second paragraph above, as I wasn't clear enough with my words previously, sorry about that!

Why would I be bothered about a female protagonist if I am a woman myself?  So no, I don't mind having a female protagonist as I have stated multiple times already. It is the portrayal of her. And there is not going to be one protagonist but multiple ones as they are doing war stories in the style of Battlefield 1 again. And to clarify, it is not just about the women, it's about the inaccuracies because at the same Dice talks about caring about history and trying to portray this war in a believable way. Which raises another question: why even go for authenticity if you are not going to follow it all the way through? Should we have a bow and arrows as a weapon choice because one guy fought the war through with that? Like, when I'm playing Wolfenstein, I know that it is based on an alternate history. I'm not expecting any sort of realism there. But Battlefield games have previously had quite a lot of authenticity: for example at least some of the multiplayer maps are based on real life places, like Sunken Dragon of BF4 so excuse me if I am expecting some sort of historical accuracy.

Sorry if I sound petty but I care about this franchise a lot. I am just sad that the game does not meet my expectations - which of course is not the game's fault but I wished the guys at Dice would have been clearer with their communication instead of what we now got.

And sure, I'll send them to you.

• Like 3

What bugs me is that Battlefield V is promoted as being authentic stories from real participants. Then you take a look at the characters with their blue makeup and they look more prepared for The Hunger Games than a WWII battlezone. 

And before I get accused of being  a sexist, both female AND male characters are shown with blue makeup. 

8 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

If they went for true historical accuracy they wouldn't let Americans play the game until two years after its release.

I love people who know their history and use it wisely. ;)

Edited by PerryToxteth
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, novemberrx said:

Of course you can't and that is exactly why Dice tries to please everyone and ends up upsetting about half of the fan base.

Why would I be bothered about a female protagonist if I am a woman myself?  So no, I don't mind having a female protagonist as I have stated multiple times already.

After reading the DICE tweets it does seem like they are going out of their way to announce how 'inclusive' and 'diverse' they are. But if I understood it right and there is 'player choice' as they say and you don't even have to play as a woman if you don't want to.

That second paragraph wasn't directly for you nor am I saying that you have a problem with it, but it seems like most criticism I've seen around Battlefield 5 isn't about historical accuracy, it's about complaining that a woman fighting in WW2 is inaccurate. Appart from you I didn't see much complaining about an amputee(throwing away the gender here) with a prosthetic arm fighting in the war, or that dude that jumped off the first floor of the house and just brushed it off as if it was nothing, or the inaccuracy and sheer stupidity of having a sword when you're fighting against guns (at least the bow is a ranged weapon). All of these are valid reasons to criticize the game, yet the woman criticism is the one that people choose to complain about, that's what I don't understand.

About the authenticity, I think the trailer makes it clear just how authentic it's gonna be, probably won't be your cup of tea @novemberrx ☹️

• Like 1

From Samus to Lara Croft to Chloe. Women has always had a strong lead role in games. Women serve the United States army as of right now. I don't recall women ever serving the U.S. army in Ww2. Maybe they did for Britain or the USSR but not  the U.S.A

It's a game so I don't mind it being historically inaccurate if it wants to be. I don't like it when entertainment tries to be SJW so they don't hurt anyone's feelings.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, danielc655 said:
The people criticising Battlefield V aren't sexist.

1) They aren't criticizing women being in the game, they are criticizing the portrayal.

2) Gamers aren't sexist. Look at all the female led games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, Portal, Ect and the female characters in games like Overwatch, etc etc. People don't have a problem with women in games, it's the portrayal.

3) People are also criticizing the British guy with a katana, are they all misandrists now?

4) This trailer would be 100% fine if they said that its alternative history or fantasy history. Look at Wolfenstein. People went crazy and said it was awesome. Nobody criticized the female characters or the unrealistic stuff in the game, because it wasn't trying to be realistic. Because Battlefield was said to be the most immersive experience, people expected a historically accurate world. So these kinds of things are upsetting/irritating.

5) Counter arguing that the gameplay is not realistic is not an argument. Saying something is historically accurate is talking about the setting, not the gameplay. At some point it has to be fun, it has to be a game. But the setting can be 100% historically accurate and achieve that.

6) Yes, women fought in WWII. but it was an extremely small percentage, and even smaller saw frontline combat. If you wanted to put women in the game, then why not portray actual women that fought in the war? Why make up non existent women who would never have been allowed to serve? It's actually disrespectful to the women that did serve.

7) People complained about the weapons in Battlefield 1 not being historically accurate. So it's not like there isn't precedent for people wanting a historically accurate setting.

8) Straw manning those that criticize Battlefield V has being sexist and misogynistic is disgusting. The same people that loved Horizon Zero Dawn and the hundreds of other female game characters are now magically women hating assholes? Stop virtue signaling. You're not any better than anybody else. In fact, you're worse.

This.

Exactly this. 

• Like 4

Hahahahaha. Some people really have nothing better to do than worry about a woman on the front cover and a prosthetic arm. Maybe you shouldnt be playing games then, let alone be anywhere near any form of entertainment.

lets say a woman was attacked by a pack of wild wolves irl and a bear and she just barely survives with her fishing knife she had with her and a torch.

now lets say that tomb raider was based off of that real life scenario, but infact, crystal dynamics decided to add some flair and make lara be able to backflip, slide down a long dark cave, double jump while ricocheting off a wall with dual weapons to kill a pack of wild wolves and 10 bears. Would you honestly still bitch about authenticity?

Transfering authenticity to a movie or a game will never be 100% and infact it would be boring af. That reminds me, id rather watch inglourious bastards where they kill hitler than watch der untergang. Not that its a bad movie at all tho.

6 hours ago, majob said:

Believe it or not, the guy with the sword is actually true to history. There was a British officer Jack Churchill who went through D-Day with nothing but a Scottish claymore and a bow and arrows.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole history revisionism for the sake of political correctness thing but I also know its just a game and not a historical re enactment so I let it go. But most women did not serve in any combat roles and those that did were unofficial such as being members of the French resistance. Soviet women's battalions were more for propaganda than actual combat

Interesting, thanks for the info. Point doesn’t change though, there’s a multitude of reasons people are complaining about this game if you actually read what people are saying. Rather than reading blogs telling you second hand accounts of what’s being said. It’s Ghostbusters all over again, the first trailer looked awful, so nearly everyone shit on it. And then every negative reaction was painted as sexism, rather than criticism of quality based on the awful trailer. A trailer even Melissa McCarthy was confused by in the way they edited it. 

2 hours ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Hahahahaha. Some people really have nothing better to do than worry about a woman on the front cover and a prosthetic arm. Maybe you shouldnt be playing games then, let alone be anywhere near any form of entertainment.

lets say a woman was attacked by a pack of wild wolves irl and a bear and she just barely survives with her fishing knife she had with her and a torch.

now lets say that tomb raider was based off of that real life scenario, but infact, crystal dynamics decided to add some flair and make lara be able to backflip, slide down a long dark cave, double jump while ricocheting off a wall with dual weapons to kill a pack of wild wolves and 10 bears. Would you honestly still bitch about authenticity?

Transfering authenticity to a movie or a game will never be 100% and infact it would be boring af. That reminds me, id rather watch inglourious bastards where they kill hitler than watch der untergang. Not that its a bad movie at all tho.

If they claim that game is authentic to that story, then yeah, that’d be pretty fucking dumb to do. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Titan said:

From Samus to Lara Croft to Chloe. Women has always had a strong lead role in games. Women serve the United States army as of right now. I don't recall women ever serving the U.S. army in Ww2. Maybe they did for Britain or the USSR but not  the U.S.A

American women served in WWII in the Army's WAC program and the Navy's WAVES service. Over 200,000 served in an auxiliary role, mostly stationed stateside, though some were sent overseas.

Wait, people get offended by this? Lol. I guess I shouldn't be surprised incels are part of the gaming community, it's probably why they're incels in the first place. Guess I'm the exception that proves the rule. ? Well, not the only exception, I've seen others on here claiming to have girlfriends/wives too, lol.