Top 5 game soundtracks (entire albums not songs)

Durandal

Please Note: Like Beyondthegrave07 pointed out please use the spoiler feature if you you embed videos, it makes it easier to read the thread and it also loads faster.

I guess I am a collector of soundtracks, with almost 200 albums and counting. Although I haven't integrated a few dozen into my collection yet. Anyway I really like to listen to soundtracks even when I am not gaming or while I play games with a boring soundtrack. Games like Destiny 2 or Diablo III where you just grind your time away, this way I can at least listen to all the awesome tracks I've collected. Naturally I have quite a long list of favorites. So I chose to pick my 5 top ones and I am also curious about your top list, doesn't really have to be five though but lets keep it to five. And I am talking about entire albums and not just a few songs. Also lets just keep this to game soundtracks for now. You might notice that my list consists mostly of western games, that's because I haven't played many JRPGs, YET! :)

I am of course aware that there are many fantastic soundtracks out there but I wanted to focus on my collection.

Ok here we go my Top 5 ...

#1 Homeworld: It's of course a fantastic game but the entire story and journey you undertake is mostly so memorable because of the soundtrack. It is mostly electronic with your typical space based tunes but wonderfully arranged. But the most stand out songs is the one when you start the game, which is "Adagio for Strings". Although this is classical composition by Samual Barber written in 1936, arranged for string orchestra from the second movement of his String Quartet, Op. 11 and not a game soundtrack per se. It is also one of the most used classical piece when it comes to sad or melodramatic scenarios. Even if you don't know it you probably heard one version or another somewhere else.

Spoiler

#2 NieR:Automata: Again a fantastic game and probably the best game I've ever played in 35 years. What makes this soundtrack so great is its diversity, and it's not just the amounts of tracks. The composer Keiichi Okabe even created multiple hard and soft tracks that transitioned into each other depending on situation and environment. And it's a perfect match to all the different elements of the game. I can't remember a game that kept surprising me just in terms of instrumentation or themes, usually a game has a a lot of tracks or themes and they repeat quite often. Nier:Automata on the other hand uses a very wide area of themes from classical inspired tracks to actual songs with lyrics. All in all it is a perfect album to listen to no matter the occasion. Picking out one song is really tough but I truly like the opening song "Alien Infestation".

Spoiler

#3 Icewind Dale: Probably the first soundtrack that stuck into my head even when I wasn't playing the game. It is also the first game that turned the attention to its composer Jeremy Soule, who then created a lot of very well received soundtracks for games like Morrowind, Skyrim, Guild Wars just to name a few. Although this is a classic soundtrack mostly consisting of smaller tracks and repeating themes it still is a great soundtrack. And it creates a great basis for the the story. The best song for me is "Kuldahar Theme" because it essentially captures the moment of your arrival at this location perfectly, while almost serene it also gives the player a moment of respite after a combat heavy beginning.

Spoiler

#4 Ori and the Blind Forrest: This is a wonderful example how to create a great soundtrack with a small orchestra and it's choice of instrumentation. But Gareth Coker created something really special here. Every track has a specific theme that matches the corresponding situation in the game, from the happy moments to the sad. Again it complements the game perfectly in a way that you almost play the game just to listen to the music. I definitely can't wait for the second Ori game to hear more his work. My favorite is definitely "Light of Nibel" because it is one of the best tracks I know to end a game. While mostly a sad song it changes into a fast paced race theme with an almost happy intermezzo only to go back to a sad theme, all the while carried by a fantastic voice!

Spoiler

#5 Legend of Grimrock: Ok, this might be cheating my own rules because there is only one track in the entire game! But what a fantastic soundtrack or menu track in this case. The game itself only features ambient tracks and this is by design, because the designers wanted the player to focus on the content and not on the music. Anyway here is the track, which was composed by an artists called Stakula.

Spoiler

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 2

Mine aren't in any order. I like each one for different things, and couldn't really rank them. It was hard enough putting only 5 here, haha.

Xenogears

This was the first gaming soundtrack I really fell in love with. It's just very well done and emotionally powerful. I couldn't find a single video with the entire OST, so here's a playlist instead.

Kingdom Hearts II

Honestly, I could have put pretty much any Kingdom Hearts soundtrack on here. I just chose 2 because it's my favorite game in the series, and has my favorite song.

Mega Man X5

I love this soundtrack. They did an incredible job with it, and every track is perfect for what they were using them for. The X vs. Zero track is especially good, and one of my favorite songs from a video game ever.

Ragnarok Online 

There has never been a more perfect soundtrack. I absolutely love the music in this game, and it's a big reason I played it so much, and for so long. Even after I stopped playing it, I kept listening to the music. From the tracks in the beginner areas that inspire wonder and adventure, to the specific dungeon theme tracks that fit perfectly with the environment. Even the menu music was amazing. Just hearing some of the music makes me want to go play this again.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

The jazzy music Capcom made for their fighting games in the late 90s and early 2000s are some of my favorite. From the that time, the 3rd Strike soundtrack is probably my favorite though. It seriously just doesn't sound like a fighting game OST, but it works really well anyway. I never get sick of it.

• Like 2

God I love game soundtracks, to me the music might just be the most important thing after gameplay (depends on genre). In no order, 5 of my favourites include:

• Ocarina of Time
  • Nier
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Final Fantasy XV

Seriously though there are so many good ones to pick from. Most of the Nintendo classics are missing when only 5 are included!

• Like 3

5?... You have just opened Pandora's box ;)

Lemmings 2: The Tribes

Command & Conquer

Slam Tilt (MEAN MACHINES!!!!)

Pinball Fantasies and others from 21st Century!

And something "modern" - Heavy Rain

Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Bonus:

You had to throw some Gold into band's hat in the village... That was SO AWESOME! Sniff...

HOMM3:

Not even to mention Final Fantasy series... FF8 Intro? FF7 battle scenes?

FF9 - A place to call home...

NFS:U2:

Edited by Smashero
  • Like 2

Jeez, use a spoiler people. It makes it difficult to go through everyone's list.

Anyways, here are my top 5, in no particular order.

Dark Cloud: This is one of my favorite soundtracks that just makes me happy every time I listen to it. The music in the dungeons capture the mood perfectly and just never gets tired no matter how many floors you climb! The second Dark Cloud game also has amazing music and I'd recommend that one as much as this one as they are both just as equally fantastic!

Spoiler

Nier Automata: I've never played this game, but I absolutely love the soundtrack. I heard it won best soundtrack over Persona 5, so I had to give it a listen. I've been blown away by this one, and every time I listen to it, it makes me want to go out and buy the game. I'll get it eventually (sometime this year), but until then, I will keep jamming to the soundtrack on my Ipod.

Spoiler

Fire Emblem: Awakening: Hands down, the most underrated soundtrack that no one has ever heard of. A lot of the name of the songs are based off of the themes of the games or direct quotes from the game which is really intriguing. This was definitely a soundtrack that was based around the game to capture every gut-wrenching moment that occurs. For instance, something very significant happens in chapter 9 (I won't spoil), but the music played for the entire chapter as you are murdering soldiers trying to flee (maybe a little spoiler, no harm done, trust me) is just captured so perfectly in every note that it just puts a tear to your eye. The music as a comrade in arms dies is perfect and the battle music one you enter an encounter is great too. The final chapter's music is also perfect and you can really feel the epicness coming. I am telling you, that this soundtrack complements the game perfectly and though I can only have the soundtrack below, just watch a video from the beginning (with no commentary) and maybe you'll get a better understanding of it.

Spoiler

Persona 5: We can have an argument on which persona game has the best music, but I just love the jazzy feel of this one over the J-pop in P4 and hip hop in P3. The game is so stylistic and the music definitely resonates with it's style. It's hard just picking your favorite 10 songs from this soundtrack because there are just so many songs, long and short that are just so damn catchy that it makes you want to stand up and dance. If you've never heard this one before, you are in for a treat.

Spoiler

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: A timeless classic. How could you not love this music. I think LoZ always had great music, but this one takes the cake. Each melody is great and music is a huge part of this game and represents the different people, tribes, temples, etc. I remember when I was a little kid playing this, I would purposely get lost in the lost forest just to listen to the music. This really is the soundtrack that got me into really paying attention to video game music. Looking back, I wish I paid more attention to the music to appreciate it more, but this game was certainly the first to catch my eye.

Spoiler

All are amazing. If you haven't ever heard of any of them you are missing out.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

It would definitely be hard to sort these from best to worse, so just consider them all in 1st place. :P A couple of the videos are in list form, couldn't find a complete video for them (so they're probably missing some things). :hmm: 

• Ar Tonelico 2 (PS2)
Spoiler

• Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Spoiler

• Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Spoiler

• Persona 4 (PS2)
Spoiler

• The Guided Fate Paradox (PS3)
Spoiler

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 3

Mhhhh.... difficult choice... Let's see...

#5 - DJMAX Black Square: In the moment I learned this game had part of the S4 League soundtrack, it blew my mind, with SuperSonic (Neden-1, DM), Grave Consequence (Colliseum, TD) and Real Over Drive (Galleon, BR). My two favorite things mixed into one.

Spoiler

#4 - DJMAX Clazziquai Edition: My first DJMAX game in my life, this one is special, the game requirements for 100% are easier than other DJMAX games, but you can feel the love with which it was made. I would include Portable 2 on this list, but that's enough of DJMAX in this list... for now.

Spoiler

#3 - Megaman X~X8: I'm going to cheat a little here and I will select the entire Megaman X series because you can't pick just one. Check this cover out!

Spoiler

#2 - ACE COMBAT series: again, I'll cheat a little here, because like Megaman X, the whole soundtrack for Ace Combat games are far beyond everything. Ace Combat is not a game with a lot of cinematics (except AC5 which was awesome) or real time events, but the radio talk and the music mixed together make the perfect recipe for an unforgettable dogfight.

Spoiler

#1 - DJMAX RESPECT: god, I need to say something? this is ALL DJMAX games into one single game! I told you I like S4 League, right? well... The main artist for that game passed away not long ago, and they don't forget their friends (please, watch until the end):

Spoiler

BT - Chrono Cross: Sorry, this one cannot be missed. Enjoy with me this beautiful piece of love:

Spoiler

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

So many memorable soundtracks mentioned already. I tried to narrow it down to games that I have the soundtrack for or games I turn on sometimes just to listen to the music.

1. Persona 5 
  2. Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
  3. Final Fantasy 8
  4. Mass Effect 2
  5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Anything Metal Gear related gets an honourable mention I also really enjoyed the soundtrack in Horizon Zero Dawn. 

• Like 2

Too many that I like, but these picks I could listen to all day.

Nier

Nier Automata

Drakengard 3

Silent Hill 4: The Room

Shadows of the Damned

Special mentions: TLOU, FF, MGS, Persona, Yakuza, Hotline Miami, GTA radio/talk stations, Bloodborne, Dark Souls series.

Needless to say, my favorite composers are Akira Yamaoka, Shoji Meguro, and Keiichi Okabe.

• Like 1

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Every song is hype and memorable in some way, which compliments the hype gameplay. In other words, it's a perfect combination of soundtrack and gameplay.

Spoiler

Devil May Cry 3 - Another one that compliments the gameplay very well. A lot of the songs are chorus and metal, usually both which is a great combination for me. The boss music definitely makes you feel motivated.

Spoiler

Persona 5 - I wouldn't be able to post this without mentioning Persona 5, or any other one really. Persona definitely has that kind of soundtrack that if I were to have one play in real life it would be like Persona. It's like a sample of music from Heaven itself.

Spoiler

Guilty Gear - The series is just badass and has a soundtrack to match it.

Spoiler

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Another memorable soundtrack that I have a bit of nostalgia for. Nearly every song can get stuck in your head. It's like it sneaks its way into your mind. Wait...

Spoiler

Honorable mentions: Too many to name. Almost put Arkham City's soundtrack in there until I remembered MGS2 :P

Edit: I messed up the playlist linking somehow. I don't know how that happened but I wound up just putting the whole OST's in most of them.

Edited by Redgrave
  • Like 1

Gosh so many great tracks. I wish I had the time to listen to every entry, but at least I skipped through all of them. And I must say that I am really tempted to buy some of the games you mentioned here just because of the great music. Well some day I will do just that!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Smashero said:

Bonus:

You had to throw some Gold into band's hat in the village... That was SO AWESOME! Sniff...

And you could put the game disc in a CD player to listen to that bonus track. Man, the PS1 era sure was the best!