Top 5 game soundtracks (entire albums not songs)

Durandal

2-5 is in no particular order.  Chrono Trigger is my favorite, as I still see it as the only perfect game ever made

Chrono Trigger

Nier 

Nier Automata

Earthbound

Final fantasy VIII

Secret of Mana is very close to making on the list.  The original soundtrack, not the remake soundtrack

• Like 2

Ohhhhh I have too many for this kind of thing. In no particular order.

Final Fantasy VIII

I think I was around 5 when this game came out and even back then I did nothing but appreciate the soundtrack but as I've gotten older, damn does it hit you right in the feels. Nobou Uematsu is a master and this game in my opinion is some of his best work. It has everything, from one of the best openings in a game to badass battle music, to the calmness of the cities and the rush of some sections. Seed Mission. Just everything about this sound track to me is masterful.

Spoiler

Metal Gear Solid

Another master of a game in my opinion. I remember back when I first got a PS1 I had the opening mission on demo and played it sooo many times before I eventually got the full game. One of the more memorable soundtracks of the game is the Psycho Mantis sound track. I remember as a kid, that is used to freak me out and that I thought my game was broken whenever I had to face off against him. :lol: 

Spoiler

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I haven't played it all the way through yet but one thing that's noticeable about this whole game is how well done the soundtrack is. So good it's made it into my top 5. The sound track is just amazing. From the badass battle music, the isle of skellige islands to gwent. I love nearly all of the songs on this game. Simple awesome.

Spoiler

Final Fantasy X

I know FFX doesn't get the same amount of love as the previous titles but it was something I played a lot when I was a kid. I loved every minute of it, it was quite a deep game to be honest with everything happening in the world and knowing about Tidus and what Yuna had to do etc etc. The soundtrack is easily one of the best I've listened to and I actually can't wait to start playing this game again!

Spoiler

Kingdom Hearts 2

I think the music is perfect in this game. The menu music, the fight scenes, the themes of all the disney worlds. I could literally just sit in the menu for so long just listening to the intro (first song on the link below) just awesome. Not to mention is has, in my opinion one of the best music scores for a final boss ever. Going through that final door to fight a certain someone doing everything from the dragon to flying around and stuff. Is just epic, A Fight to the death. 3hours 22minutes into the video below.

Spoiler

• Like 4

Silent Hill 2. Beautiful and very haunting music that sticks with you especially in certain parts. 

DMC devil may cry. The combichrist songs on that album fit that game absolutely perfect when you are on a killing spree! 

Bioshock, bioshock 2, bioshock infinite. My Alltime favourite games and the soundtracks on every game with the songs and musical score they chose could not of been better imo. 

• Like 2

1. Mafia 3

2. Silent Hill 2
3. Heavy Rain
4. Final Fantasy 13
5. Life is Strange

Honorable Mentions - Life is Strange: Before the Storm, inFamous Second Son, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, The Walking Dead: Season 2, Silent Hill 3, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

• Like 1

Score is such a huge aspect for me when gaming, Kingdom Hearts series as a whole for me is just breathtaking. Final Fantasy X, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Final Fantasy 6 and the Soul series wraps a neck to neck top 6. 

Let me go into reminiscent mode for a moment 

Those are just appetizers, dive into the whole soundtrack and you'll know what I mean . 

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's too difficult for me to narrow it down to 5 but I know for me number 1 will always be Nobuo Uematsu's work in Final Fantasy X. I was inspired to teach myself To Zanarkand despite never having touched a piano or keyboard in my life, and then went onto take lessons and eventually pass Grade 8 a couple of years later. So many great tracks in that game, and it's a joy to play as well as listen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My top 3 used to be the same for almost 20 years.

Then Killing Floor 2 came along.

Spoiler

Dethroned was Quake 2, which I've played countless times and as such the soundtrack is ingrained in my brain forever.

Spoiler

A similar case is Shadow Warrior (1997). Another game that I used to play non-stop.  To be fair it's not the best soundtrack and mor of a nostalgia thing for me.

Spoiler

Can't miss the soundtrack of my favourite game. It's not a shooter for a change, instead it's the D&D fantasy RPG Baldur's Gate.

Spoiler

Now this is where it starts to get tricky picking one, as there are so many that are good. I'll go with the one for République though.

Spoiler

I guess by now you can see a recurring theme, and you're right soundtracks from old school FPS have the best music hands down. It's the only genre for me, where the music doesn't fade out after a while. In most other games I don't even remember if there was music at all once I'm done playing them.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1