[Suggestion] Completion Rarity Trophy Percentage

Basically what my idea is that if there are some completed games, the rarity percentage will average out by number of games completed thus having the rarity completion percentage. Now, I do notice that there is an average rarity stat for all trophies earned but this one is different though. I also just thought up the fact that you need completed games to get those stats and not incomplete games. That's when the completion percentage comes into play. You would divide the rarity percentage by completion percentage and you get the core percentage. Example: Example: Dead Rising 4 (100%) - .33%, Twisted Metal - .28%, and Saints Row: The Third (100%) - 2.94%. 2.94 + .33 + .28 = 3.55% ÷ 3 = 1.18% rarity completion percentage. Then you divide that number by your overall completion percentage (let's say 76%) of all games played. 1.18% ÷ 76% = 1.60%. 1.60% would be your core percentage. Thoughts?

Edited by XLordXNightmareX

Just so I understand this correctly because math isn't really my thing, what your proposing is a stat that is the average rarity of only completed 100% games? (As opposed to the current stat of rarity of all trophies earned)

This makes no sense -- dividing a percentage by a percentage does not give you a percentage.

Let's say that my overall completion rate is really low, like 5%: I've only completed 1 out of my 20 total games. And that 1 game that I completed is really easy -- it's rarity is 90%. Then your method gives me a "core percentage" of 90% ÷ 5% = 1800%

So what on earth is this statistic supposedly telling me?

• Like 2

If you are saying what I think you are saying, I think it would be stressful for the system to use a formula for that.

I guess when you say divide the percentages you are actually saying multiply, btw.

While putting a weight (in this case, rarity) the actual variable of the rarity would be wrong, as the percentage of rarity would be averaged too to make a actual percentage...

For the example, if we pick a 90% rarity (in other words, a common game) game we must make a subvariable "subrarity" (100-90)% (as the common plats weigh less) we should sum all subrarities, and divide the subrarity of the game between the total of subrarities, multiply for the percentage of the trophies, and then only would be the trophy list of ONE game. Then would have to make the formula with all the games and sum them.

Writing this made me realize is not that hard, but with the data influx this page has, I don't think this would work.

PD: If is another thing, I just don't understand. I mean How you get the 100%?

Edited by felidraziken

23 minutes ago, felidraziken said:

I guess when you say divide the percentages you are actually saying multiply, btw.

If they mean multiply then it makes even less sense, since they'd be multiplying a number that people want to be high (their completion rate) with a number that they want to be low (rarity). You could "win" this "percentage" just by having a terrible completion percentage and completing 1 really rare game.

The core problem here is that the units just don't make sense. You can't multiply or divide percentages and expect anything meaningful to pop out (much less a percentage). And just saying "more statistics are always welcome" is silly -- why not display our number of platinums divided by our fastest completion time and call it our "quickness percentage" while we're at it?

Maybe if the OP explains what they want this statistic to say then we could come up with a sensible formula.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

This makes no sense -- dividing a percentage by a percentage does not give you a percentage.

Let's say that my overall completion rate is really low, like 5%: I've only completed 1 out of my 20 total games. And that 1 game that I completed is really easy -- it's rarity is 90%. Then your method gives me a "core percentage" of 90% ÷ 5% = 1800%

So what on earth is this statistic supposedly telling me?

Complete and incomplete games would be included in this statistic. He didn't word it correctly, but I get what he is saying. Instead of dividing rarity percentage (for 100% completion of a given game) by your own completion percentage, you'd want to divide the first part by 1 over the second part. So basically Rarity %/(1/Your Completion %). You do this for all games, then divide that number by the number of games you own.

The next step factors in your overall completion percentage. Again, it should be worded so that it's your calculated percentage from the previous step divided by (1/Your overall Completion %).

Basically, the lower your percent, the "better". It took me a while to understand, but I think I get it now. It's a somewhat interesting concept, but I think it's too much for most people to make sense of right away. And I think it's a bit flawed in that it rewards you for simply playing more games that have low 100% completion rates, which is usually games with DLC. You could get to only 25% completion in Dead Rising 4 and have 1.33%, which is still lower than the vast majority of plats and most 100% completion rates. And on the other hand, the formula can't account for 0% games since you can't divide by 0. And leaving even a single game at a low % can skew the data quite a bit. For example, having 5% completion in a game with a 30% 100% completion rate would result in 600%.

Edited by Jay_Cash

12 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

If they mean multiply then it makes even less sense, since they'd be multiplying a number that people want to be high (their completion rate) with a number that they want to be low (rarity). You could "win" this "percentage" just by having a terrible completion percentage and completing 1 really rare game.

The core problem here is that the units just don't make sense. You can't multiply or divide percentages and expect anything meaningful to pop out (much less a percentage). And just saying "more statistics are always welcome" is silly -- why not display our number of platinums divided by our fastest completion time and call it our "quickness percentage" while we're at it?

Maybe if the OP explains what they want this statistic to say then we could come up with a sensible formula.

Well, about the rarity to be low I said in my other post the actual number we should use is (100% - x) being x the actual rarity, so the rarest plats would weigh more.

11 minutes ago, Jay_Cash said:

Complete and incomplete games would be included in this statistic.

That doesn't fix the problem though, does it? If I play 20 games, all with 90% rarity, and only complete one of them, I still have an 1800% "core percentage". It's not a percentage. It's not telling me that 1800 out of every 100 people do (something). It's not telling me anything as far as I can tell. Statistics are supposed to measure things that we can interpret in some way, not just be pretty numbers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

That doesn't fix the problem though, does it? If I play 20 games, all with 90% rarity, and only complete one of them, I still have an 1800% "core percentage". It's not a percentage. It's not telling me that 1800 out of every 100 people do (something). It's not telling me anything as far as I can tell. Statistics are supposed to measure things that we can interpret in some way, not just be pretty numbers.

I'm looking at it differently than you are in terms of calculations, but either way I can't argue that it is flawed since the percentage can exceed 100% in either case. 

I get the intent of it, you could maybe look at the final number as a score rather a percentage. But even then it's still going to be a random number to most people that will be difficult to interpret ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look at that final percentage number as a rarity percentage. 1800% is pretty high obviously but I think that if it exceeds 100 then you probably can divide it by 100 but then again 18% doesn't say much for such a poor performance indeed.

Edited by XLordXNightmareX

3 hours ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

Look at that final percentage number as a rarity percentage. 1800% is pretty high obviously but I think that if it exceeds 100 then you probably can divide it by 100 but then again 18% doesn't say much for such a poor performance indeed.

This is just side-stepping the problem at best; 1800% was just an example. I can come up with numbers that make it 18%, 180%, 1800%, 18000%, or literally arbitrarily large. It's not a percentage, and dividing by 100 again does not turn it into one.

Think about what you want your statistic to say, and then we can perhaps help you come up with a formula that captures that. But just randomly dividing two percentages by each other is not how to do this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

This is just side-stepping the problem at best; 1800% was just an example. I can come up with numbers that make it 18%, 180%, 1800%, 18000%, or literally arbitrarily large. It's not a percentage, and dividing by 100 again does not turn it into one.

Think about what you want your statistic to say, and then we can perhaps help you come up with a formula that captures that. But just randomly dividing two percentages by each other is not how to do this.

I sure indeed would like some help figuring out a stat that can determines a gamer's overall average rarity/completion percentage. Any better ideas mate?

1 hour ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

That would be part of what I want with the stats. Also, I want to know the average rarity of games completed.

stats > average rarity...i don't get how this is any different or what you're trying to represent here...your average rarity represents the rarity % of the trophies you earned...the completion percentage the average completion % of your games...why combine/multiply/divide them?...seems like a half equation...at first glance, dividing unrelated percentages is odd...

suggestion : make a spreadsheet on your computer...somehow I can't see this being in high demand...not trying to be harsh, just straightforward...

On 29/05/2018 at 0:29 PM, XLordXNightmareX said:

Basically what my idea is that if there are some completed games, the rarity percentage will average out by number of games completed thus having the rarity completion percentage. Now, I do notice that there is an average rarity stat for all trophies earned but this one is different though. I also just thought up the fact that you need completed games to get those stats and not incomplete games. That's when the completion percentage comes into play. You would divide the rarity percentage by completion percentage and you get the core percentage. Example: Example: Dead Rising 4 (100%) - .33%, Twisted Metal - .28%, and Saints Row: The Third (100%) - 2.94%. 2.94 + .33 + .28 = 3.55% ÷ 3 = 1.18% rarity completion percentage. Then you divide that number by your overall completion percentage (let's say 76%) of all games played. 1.18% ÷ 76% = 1.60%. 1.60% would be your core percentage. Thoughts?

is what you mean : ((100% of 0.33)+(unknown completion, omitting this number doesn't make sense, of 0.28) + (100% of 2.94)) / 3?...this is basically the stat we already have...

in your example, your first equation just shows average 100% rarity of those 3 games...so why divide by your completion percentage (an unrelated number)?...doesn't really make sense...

i usually have a completion percentage around 100% and my average rarity is 37.77...so that makes 37.77 core percentage...if my completion percentage was 2% I'd be like 1888.5 core percentage...1% would be 3777...hmmm...did I misunderstand something?...

also, i don't get your math...1.18% / 76% = 1.6%?...i think I must be retarded cuz I don't get 1.6...

0.018 / 0.76 = 0.0236842105263157...x 100... 

2.36842105263157?...or 2.37%...

wait, are you saying you only want to know the average rarity for only the 100% complete games you have?...trying to understand here...could you maybe explain the goal a little more thoroughly for those of us who like numbers, please?...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

stats > average rarity...i don't get how this is any different or what you're trying to represent here...your average rarity represents the rarity % of the trophies you earned...the completion percentage the average completion % of your games...why combine/multiply/divide them?...seems like a half equation...at first glance, dividing unrelated percentages is odd...

suggestion : make a spreadsheet on your computer...somehow I can't see this being in high demand...not trying to be harsh, just straightforward...

is what you mean : ((100% of 0.33)+(unknown completion, omitting this number doesn't make sense, of 0.28) + (100% of 2.94)) / 3?...this is the stat we already have...

in your example, your first equation just shows average 100% rarity of those 3 games...so why divide by your completion percentage (an unrelated number)?...doesn't really make sense...

i usually have a completion percentage around 100% and my average rarity is 37.77...so that makes 37.77 core percentage...if my completion percentage was 2% I'd be like 1888.5 core percentage...hmmm...did I misunderstand something?...

also, don't get your math...1.18% / 76% = 1.6%?...i think I must be retarded cuz I don't get 1.6...

The point that I divide that rarity by completion is because that I don't want the incomplete games being left out but yeah I did the math myself and it is totally out of the equation :S

16 minutes ago, XLordXNightmareX said:

The point that I divide that rarity by completion is because that I don't want the incomplete games being left out but yeah I did the math myself and it is totally out of the equation :S

the current average rarity stat already considers only the trophies you have earned therefore it already incorporates your completion percentage...no reason to divide by anything again...do you get what I mean?...if you want to know your average rarity potential if you 100%'d all your games well, easiest way is to 100% them all...haha...is this rarity potential the number you are suggesting?...

Edited by ProfBambam55