I finally got to experience NieR:Automata

Remilia Scarlet

I sold 56 of my PS3 games to buy NieR: Automata yesterday. While it was sad for me to part with such a huge part of my life, I feel no regret. NieR: Automata, put simply, has been the best experience I have had on the PS4 yet. 

Everything feels so superbly well done. The combat and battle mechanics are top notch and perform smoothly and fluidly, and it never feels too easy or too difficult. 2B and 9S move with a speed and grace that would put the best Russian ballet dancers to tears. Combat feels visceral and fierce and it’s so incredibly satisfying. 

The customization and leveling up feels great and I love that we can choose which parts to configure and which to switch out. I never feel limited in what I can do as 2B.

Speaking of the characters, my god the characters. I fell in love with 2B and 9S instantly. 2B is a stoic battle-hardened badass focused on completing her missions, while 9S is the balance of innocent and earnestness to her. They compliment each other so well and none of their interactions ever feel forced. While 2B can feel cold I love that the developers do hint at a softer side to her stoicism. It goes a long way to humanizing her, irony intended.

I can’t say much about the story right now, as I am only 6 hours in, but I will say that I have enjoyed what I have played a great deal and I am definitely invested.

On a final note, the music is sublime. The soundtrack was perfectly tailored to every scenario and area, and the ambience is wonderful and does a fantastic job immersing you into the world.

NieR: Automata has quickly become one of my favorites on the PS4.

Edited by Orange Heart
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Orange Heart said:

I sold 56 of my PS3 games to buy NieR: Automata yesterday.

Wow... while I think NieR: Automata is one of the best games on PS4, I don't think it's worth giving away 56 PS3 games like that (unless of course those 56 are just a bunch of Fifa, NBA, Madden, etc games which are worth less than a coaster when the year rolls over).

Don't worry about the story, you will be hooked up till the end. There is a point where it kinda drops a bit for a specific reason but it then picks up really fast again.

And please, don't be disrespectful to the game and yourself if you plan on getting the Platinum. Do it legit like the game deserves.

• Like 2

Started this game today too. Although I'm only 3 hours in, so far it's great. The first Nier is a classic, so I don't think this game is going to disappoint me. 

34 minutes ago, MeteorHawk said:

I'm looking forward to it, but due to my completionist nature I'mma have to play Drakengard 1-3 and the original Nier before I boot this up (yes, I know I don't have to but I really, really must!)

Actually you kinda do. Automata makes a shit ton of references to the previous games, several of which imply that you played and beat NieR to completion. While Automata itself is set 2K years after NieR, the events of NieR played a role in shaping Automata’s world.

But yes! Please play the previous games! They are awesome!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Orange Heart said:

Actually you kinda do. Automata makes a shit ton of references to the previous games, several of which imply that you played and beat NieR to completion. While Automata itself is set 2K years after NieR, the events of NieR played a role in shaping Automata’s world.

But yes! Please play the previous games! They are awesome!

That's what I was afraid of! My backlog is embarrassing! But it looks so cool so it will all be worth it, I know!