First reviews are catastrophic

Neef-GT5

Just ran on this review from the French site Gamekult - their verdict is appalling, even by their (tough) standards.

https://www.gamekult.com/jeux/agony-3050876531/test.html

Very few others reviews are available yet but the ones that are don’t seems any better. This game’s career looks quite compromised...

Edited by Neef-GT5

5 minutes ago, voodoo_eyes said:

Well, they should've picked this to supplement their trailers then to make it more appealing :P .

Reveal hidden contents

They should add slayer to their soundtrack, first song : hell awaits :P

Spoiler

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Game lacks of mechanics. Agony really nothing but walking through infinite biomass. If not nudes, there would be nothing to look at.

Really? :(
just a walking simulator... Aw damn I was hoping it would have some puzzles or different endings...

How disappointing, this looked very interesting. I'm sure there's gonna be a bunch of people gonna be all like "hurr who cares abut reviews durr" but unfortunately for me my views and that of the critical consensus tend to align 99% of the time.

I had hopes for this game to be good, but hey, according to metacritic there isn't even enough reviews for a score yet so I wouldn't judge too soon without getting hands on myself.

I'll wait this one out though, not a good start for me to drop money right away only to likely be disappointed.

But, who knows, could be a great game for me, we all have different tastes.

EDIT: Looking at one of the highest scoring reviews I can find it mentions high difficulty, makes me wonder if the early negative reviews are based on being 'too hard'.

Edited by JohnCenaSong-

I bought the game physically yesterday and after playing it for an hour or so, I stopped and returned it for my money back. It's not a good game at all. Player movement feels awful. AI is super clunky. Graphics are awful to look at. Level design is the worst I've seen in any game. Definitely not worth $40. $10 on sale at the most but you'll probably rage quit before finishing your first playthrough.

Edited by JayPBM

2 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

EDIT: Looking at one of the highest scoring reviews I can find it mentions high difficulty, makes me wonder if the early negative reviews are based on being 'too hard'.

Anything's possible, but in this age where writers compete to see who can fawn over Soulsborne the most, I would expect a too-hard game to get points added to its score, not taken away!

10 hours ago, BG_painter said:

Really? :(
just a walking simulator... Aw damn I was hoping it would have some puzzles or different endings...

There are some puzzles, even boss fights, but for example - one of them is running around at big area where boss standing and waiting for you to lit their ass with torch, literally. Doubtful fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

There are some puzzles, even boss fights, but for example - one of them is running around at big area where boss standing and waiting for you to lit their ass with torch, literally. Doubtful fun.

I can count the number of times you died in this initial part, don't worry nobody does everything first

4 hours ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Lol, none. 

I was kidding! I found a joke to what you said because for example in SH downpour you constantly have a red void chasing and waiting for you to lit his ass . If this is fun then it's me who am crazy :P 

8 minutes ago, Nimera said:

I was kidding! I found a joke to what you said because for example in SH downpour you constantly have a red void chasing and waiting for you to lit his ass . If this is fun then it's me who am crazy :P 

Well, that was firstly introduced in Silent Hill 3 btw, and you can't do anything to the void nor red light and should run through puzzle corridors. I don't see any connection. Even if we agree that moment wasn't good and reminds about Agony, well 98% else gameplay in those Survival Horror games were fighting, instant death, different tricky locations where no one waited for us to kill them. The best example to compare here is Amnesia, and for me - the person who hates this new pacifist wave of genre, this one was exciting and interesting without all fancy boobs and world of attached bodies and have to admit well made demons from Agony.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

2 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Well, that was firstly introduced in Silent Hill 3 btw, and you can't do anything to the void nor red light and should run through puzzle corridors. I don't see any connection. Even if we agree that moment wasn't good and reminds about Agony, well 98% else gameplay in those Survival Horror games were fighting, instant death, different tricky locations where no one waited for us to kill them. The best example to compare here is Amnesia, and for me - the person who hates this new pacifist wave of genre, this one was exciting and interesting without all fancy boobs and world of attached bodies and have to admit well made demons from Agony.

I'm not defending this game, and I'll even tell you my rating is 5.5 /10 because i dont think the game is anything special except hell-related.
What I think is that if someone (I'm not talking about you) doesn't like this kind of games they can dedicate themselves to other games (so many out there...)
SOMA, outlast, amnesia, slender has similar things to agony
and i always run into people to complain. I just mentioned downpour because i know you played and for me it's a gambling junk not only for having a red void constantly chasing you as well as lag problems during the game and a completely weak story. (I even give an excuse to homecoming)

1 minute ago, Nimera said:

I'm not defending this game, and I'll even tell you my rating is 5.5 /10 because i dont think the game is anything special except hell-related.
What I think is that if someone (I'm not talking about you) doesn't like this kind of games they can dedicate themselves to other games (so many out there...)
SOMA, outlast, amnesia, slender has similar things to agony
and i always run into people to complain. I just mentioned downpour because i know you played and for me it's a gambling junk not only for having a red void constantly chasing you as well as lag problems during the game and a completely weak story. (I even give an excuse to homecoming)

As you understand from previous post, if not Amnesia experience I would never look for this type of games. As for Downpour, for me this one in top 3 of Silent Hills series. A lot of things there were very weak, but since Silent Hill 1 it's the only game where we again back to the town, plus less fun service and self copying resulting in absolutely original one, what for me was a breath of fresh air since third Silent Hill. I liked the story and game mechanics a lot, 'course monsters didn't look as great as Japanese artist could paint them, but they, again, since Silent Hill one were deadly pack of constant threat. In Agony enemies just a decoration, it sees you, it runs to you and kill you - all formula. In Silent Hill Downpour you could shoot at them, beat them bare hands or with anything you can found on the ground, in Amnesia you couldn't even look at monsters without risk of being paralyzed by lost sanity - and this I call game mechanics.

• Like 1