Platinum for a newcomer to the series

andrehunter

I've played Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 to completion on PC, and they're both probably on par. They're not really difficult imo, just takes a lot of time. As long as you like turn-based strategy, you'll enjoy the platinum and it's definitely achievable.

EDIT: If you're interested in 100%, be warned the DLCs are collectively quite expensive, but not at all difficult.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

I've played Darkest Dungeon and XCOM 2 to completion on PC, and they're both probably on par. They're not really difficult imo, just takes a lot of time. As long as you like turn-based strategy, you'll enjoy the platinum and it's definitely achievable.

EDIT: If you're interested in 100%, be warned the DLCs are collectively quite expensive, but not at all difficult.

Thanks, i believe i will give this game a try, even though strategy games aren't really my thing, i quite enjoyed watching a friend of mine playing the first XCOM a couple of months ago and this game does seem interesting, just need to learn how to play it first.

2 minutes ago, andrehunter said:

Thanks, i believe i will give this game a try, even though strategy games aren't really my thing, i quite enjoyed watching a friend of mine playing the first XCOM a couple of months ago and this game does seem interesting, just need to learn how to play it first.

I think it'll be a nice break from your usual type of games. I see you've done some very impressive platinums, so this will be quite relaxing in comparison haha!

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zolkovo said:

For all my fellow Europeans (I'm not up to date with other region's sales), if you want the 100%, you should consider buying the collection during the current sale. The collection (seems to include everything) is currently going for €45 (50% off). Buying the DLC separately will cost a lot more, since War of the Chosen alone will cost you €40. Then there's a DLC for €5 and for €10.

Sure, you'll buy the base game double since you'll get it with PS+, but at the current price for the collection it's basically free anyway + you get to keep the game if you stop your ps+ sub.

I'm still considering it. I'm very curious about this game but I haven't really played anything like it before. And it's quite a daunting game to start now if you like to complete the game. I'm currently playing some other games that take ages to complete (Overwatch, Enter the Gungeon, Dead Island DLC), and I don't like to juggle too many at once.

Edited by Ric
typo
  • Like 2

I completed the first XCOM and found out about save scumming a few days later ?, it would 100% help, especially on the hardest difficulty and as someone who has played this game since PS1, you will get X-COM'd a hell of a lot ? 90%+ shots will miss, your team will die and you will be mad. I think it would be wise to watch a few good players playing it or read up on the best tips for soldiers promotions etc... and then mess around on an easier playthrough first and learn the best way to approach things before diving into the hardest difficulty. Once you get a few month into the game and soldiers have been promoted its a lot smoother.

Edited by SirPigFace
  • Like 1

Save scumming is definitely the way to go but the worst part for me was loading times. I just remember repeatedly taking 5 minutes to save, upload/download save, and boot up the game just to have a fight fall apart in 30 seconds. If you can resist not throwing your small dog across the room while reloading a save because of a single botched move over and over, then you can plat it. Hope they optimized loading times since it's on PS Plus but good luck on that.

1 minute ago, kidson2004 said:

Ok can someone explain what "Save Scumming" is? I have both XCOM games on PS3 and XCOM 2 and have no idea what that is.

It's uploading the save to the cloud (or USB) and reloading it if you mess up. It's used it games where they don't let you just reload a previous save. (If I understand correctly, haven't played this game before)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kittet3 said:

It's uploading the save to the cloud (or USB) and reloading it if you mess up. It's used it games where they don't let you just reload a previous save. (If I understand correctly, haven't played this game before)

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

XCOM 2 is hard, but not impossible. I agree with @Zolkovo -- it's about on par with Darkest D, which you have played. (I also see you started XCOM 2 a few days ago, so I hope you're having fun!)

I would also say XCOM 2 is the best game I've played on the PS4. You should definitely pick up the DLC at some point, but this is a crazy good month for PS+ owners, because this game alone will easily get you 100+ hours of playtime. Best of all, nothing in this game ever feels like a grind. I can still pick up the game today and have just as much fun as I did ten playthroughs ago.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 8:43 PM, Kittet3 said:

Close, but even just reloading a normal save to undo a bad turn/pod pull is considered save scumming. What you described applies to iron man mode, but you can absolutely save scum in normal mode too. :)

• Like 1