Profile ideas

Not to speak for Sly, but, He chooses to have it a monarchy and I think it works out really well this way.  It's his baby and has put a lot of hours, blood, sweat and tears (manly tears) to make this site just the way he envisioned. 

While I agree there is always room for a higher standard and improvement - having too much staff and too many hands in the cookie jar has proven detrimental on other sites (from my perspective anyways)

And yes, this is off topic so I won't go into addressing the other issues in this thread any deeper.

Yes, the site has so far been the most inspiring, in my opinion, of all the trophy sites to come. When YGC stagnated, PSNProfiles came and stole the show, with a very sleek and clean layout, not to mention innovations such as the "time taken" stats under each game and many stats. And YGC is now stuck in the past, not even implementing the ability to see if a game is on PS3 or Vita, no sorting options, no "time taken" stats under each game...that site is a relic now...and the staff there seemingly does not want to improve it.

However, we can't say PSNProfiles perfect, and we can't say we can't improve it. We also can't say that Sly is not overwhelmed, with only a 2 person sub-staff of forum moderators (as far as I can see).

I agree, having too much staff is a bad thing, and you get dodgy and/or useless characters. But one person doing literally everything for a site of such scale, with 2 forum moderators on the side (a small forum that has nothing to do with the core site) is simply not enough. The removal of manual reporting? I think a key reason it happened was the site is understaffed.  You're saying just the 3 of you answered all of those? It's no wonder the feature was removed a month or two later, if that. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, I'm just saying this site could be unbelievable with a slightly larger staff of devoted and serious individuals. Not forum chit-chatterboxes. But serious coders, developers, and overall people with years of serious experience in the trophy maintaining scene.

With that said, every element - layout enhancing, tweaks, new features, new standards...it's all necessary in the ultimate end for enhancing the entire trophy community seriousness. I am putting in so much enthusiasm here for a reason. It's because PSNProfiles is the only hope.

I don't see why you should make everything so much bigger, I'm not blind or anything. And that trophy case looks a bit overloaded and weird with those game icons suddenly appearing in between there.

I prefer it the way it is now.

The "grid" trophy case design was thrown together in an image editing program, so I wasn't really able to align everything as it would actually appear if it was implemented. The mix of the "trophy list banner" pictures and individual trophies does look messy in that demonstration, however, there could be spaces allotted for both types in the trophy case.

For example, someone is proud of completing a game but not necessary just a single trophy in that. So the only logical thing to do would be add the game banner picture, symbolizing the completion.

And perhaps the trophy case in the demo image (grid view) is around two lines too long, too.

Edited by HipHecooblik

There were more people involved with handling cheater reports then just me, AF and Sly.  Also, we stayed on top of that - staff workload wasn't the issue.  It was the fact that people were reporting others out of personal vendettas or other butthurt reasons and even with a group of dedicated staff members with extensive knowledge on a large array of games, there were too many false positives and political backlash as a result.  It just didn't work well the way it was. 

All right, we are way off topic now. 

Back to your layouts, I think if you keep the current layout that Sly made and add the trophy-case, we are golden.

• Like 1

I replied in the earlier forum about this... The trophy case that the community can put what plats they are most proud of is a great idea as it adds a little more freedom of customization to everyone's individual profile. I have to agree though with eburkulosis that just adding the trophy case to the existing profile layout is just right and the only improvement needed.  

I have to agree though with eburkulosis that just adding the trophy case to the existing profile layout is just right and the only improvement needed.  

Thank you. Less is more.  A more minimalist approach that evokes the style of the site.

I would have to say this site is more a John McLaughlin inspiration from an artistic perspective.  :P  Look him up, HipHecooblik

• Like 2

Thank you. Less is more.  A more minimalist approach that evokes the style of the site.

I would have to say this site is more a John McLaughlin inspiration from an artistic perspective.  :P  Look him up, HipHecooblik

Absolutely less is more! 

Nice work @HipHecooblik :D

Looks like you've put a lot of time and thought into those mock-ups. There's definitely nothing wrong with presenting your thoughts and ideas here. If you are receiving backlash, i'm sure it's not intended to be harsh GTFO vibes. I've never seen this community shun a person for trying to make suggestions.

Typing these messages doesn't allow for intonation and inflection so it may sometimes be misinterpreted. Try not to take things like that too personal ;)

Okay, on to my opinion of your ideas  B)

1. I love the idea of a "Trophy Case" being added to our profiles. That would be a nice way to have a little more personalization/customization. I'd love it if you could mark those trophies with things like:
    • Hardest Trophy
    • Most Time Consuming
    • Proudest Trophy
    • Proudest Platinum
    • Et cetera
  2. I also kind of like the idea of a smaller height on the game images... I think you're right about making it a little less resource intensive (i.e. smaller) and it does currently eat up a ton of real estate on our profiles.
  3. The PSN ID could definitely be more prominent to better distinguish, at a quick glance, who's profile you are on.

In closing, I think you have some pretty good ideas there. While not all of the members here will agree with your suggestion(s), you shouldn't ever stop contributing and becoming a "forum regular". There are a ton of people that utilize this site now but, if they don't join the ranks of us active users (a.k.a. "forum regulars"), we'll never get to know them. I'm, personally, glad to see such vibrant interest from you and welcome your suggestions.

It's all a moot point anyway as our King will do what he sees fit for his kingdom :P

• Like 4

I think if you keep the current layout that Sly made and add the trophy-case, we are golden.

I agree with Eburk!  Each and every addition and/or change Sly has made I have loved (the style of the site is fantastic).

Your layout suggestions are simply your opinion, some may like it, some won't, but kudos for putting your ideas to the community.

You will never please everyone, so any change will be loved by some and hated by others (go see the DLC changes thread).

There are features on other sites (TrueAchievements you've mentioned which I used a lot before switching to the PS3) which I'd love to see here, however, if I got everything I wanted now, what would there be to look forward to?

Sly needs time to play the games and earn the trophies for his profile too....Rome wasn't built in a day.

As a long-time member of TA, I love the trophy case idea... but I don't know about loving it over here. As others have already touched upon, the aesthetic appeal of this place is the very clean, very basic layout and appearance. We're not lacking for features and options here, but they're definitely not crowding up the site and making it look overly busy. I like it that way.

I think, speaking specifically on the idea of trophy cases and not the other suggestions, that we don't necessarily need to add them. We already have a checklist area where people can designate and list and show off their trophies in whatever fashion they choose, and adding a separate trophy case seems a bit redundant to me.

But, you know, I'm hardly going to rage if it gets added - it's a cool feature on TA, to be sure. I just don't see it as being a necessity on PSNP.

Edited by Curb

First of all HipHecooblik, I want to say I think it's wonderful that you're trying to improve this already fantastic site. While Sly ultimately makes all the decisions he has shown time and time again that he listens to what we want and implements features we like as best he can.

That being said, I personally like the current layout better than anything you've presented. I'll have to agree with eburk again as I think this current layout with the small addition of the "trophy case" is the best "design" that had been presented.

Parker

While I do like the trophy case idea. I dislike your changes. Youre very intent on having trophy log and all those buttons centrted. And i think it looks awful centered. Also the statistics changing around has too much space. If youve seen the site grow then the changes Sly makes are great. Im not trying to put you down or anything but the profiles are comprehensible and have a great design right now.

The trophy cabinet is a good idea, but I imagine not every user registered will change theirs, then it becomes a rarest trophy cabinet again and then there was no point in the change for just forum readers that know to edit it

It could default to having nothing in it, and if nothing is in it, it won't appear on a profile. Easy enough to solve that issue.

• Like 3

I think some people may of dug their  heels in with you due to the fact is a couple of your past posts about changes you came across as very arrogant, this thread isn't the case though and is a good idea.

Although I am intrigued by the trophy case idea, your profile ideas I don't like like sorry, I just don't feel they flow as nice as the current design, I'm not knowledgeable in design this is just my personal opinion but good on you for opening this up to a discussion, you'll find that unlike other certain sites Sly is very open to members ideas here

Moving on to your point of the site being monarchy, from what I understand this is Sly decision to run the site this way and I agree with it, there are certain other sites that I will not mention that have there 'teams' and its causes plenty of dramas. I feel the mods so a good job of running the forums and trouble is kept to a minimum. I think Sly does a good job of managing the site already and I'm in no hurry to see any major changes, the odd ones here and there have been positive so far (including the DLC change). There has been a rapid growth in members and forum activity so that can't be a bad thing can it?

Keep up your ideas and I'll keep an eye on them for you and give you my truthful opinion.

• Like 4