Tips for Noob

Hi, a friend of mine and I are planning on starting this, but, even if he's a bit more experienced than me with the saga, I'm not at all. We were planning on going for the Platinum together, but I've read that you first need to beat the Taurus boss before you can have people join your game. Is that true? Can I decide who I want to include in my game and make it private? Also, how difficult does the game become when it's played with two people? Does the difficulty rating go down or is it still an 8/10? Any other useful tips to give to someone that's new to the franchise? Thanks!

To co-op, you use an item that place a mark in a level you haven't beaten the boss in yet on the floor for anyone else to see. They can then see this mark and join your game and help you beat the level.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/co-op

As you can see, they must also be within your level range.

Edited by MMDE

You only need to beat the tutorial Boss alone. As soon as you are in Firelink summoning is possible in general. I know this because I helped other beginners with early Bosses. You can only summon your friend if you wish (use password for this), but you can be invaded by anyone regardless. If YOU want to help your friend, as in being summoned, the others are right, for that you would need the White soap stone.

And about difficulty: the Boss gets more health with more people, BUT everything is a lot easier. Why? Because every enemy, and Bosses too of course, can't focus only on you. They switch focus, attack other players, so you have time to attack their back or heal or whatever. If you would play alone, you would have to block or evade all on your own.

So, have fun with your friend! :)