A Beautiful Game, Tarnished by Hideous Trophies

It's very rare for me to come across a game whose trophies make me like it less, but it seems like TLG is one of those games. It goes without saying that this game has frustrating trophies, but man has it given me headaches. I'm about to start on fifth playthrough even though I was supposed to be done in three. On top of the horribly-designed collectibles, annoying speedrun, and lack of notifying you of checkpoints, it's hands down one of the worst Platinums I've ever gone for. I advise against getting this Platinum but if you have to, do your first playthrough without bothering with the trophies (or just make it the barrels and Trico holes) so that you can take in just how good this game is without raging. Aside from the trophies, I'd say this game is up there as one of the top ten best games this generation. Team ICO had no shortage of remarkable titles (like SOTC for instance, which has a reasonable Platinum). Any who, this post is just a recommendation as to how to not look down upon this game.

Edited by SuperSaiyan3985
  • Like 3

I really liked this game quite a bit but I also think I got lucky and didn't have anything glitch out on me too badly (Some hints did, however I was persistent and eventually got them to come up). I've had people contact me about different trophies, like one example someone said "The Call of Nature" just would not pop up after multiple playthroughs, Trico just would not take a dump xD 

I think that's the most frustrating thing about this game, luck and bugs. If you're persistent though, those trophies will unlock!

2 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

It's very rare for me to come across a game whose trophies make me like it less

Lol, for me that's just regular throphy hunting.

But that just shows how subjective it really is. I actually liked to get the platinum in this game. More so then say Battlefield 1, where a lot of people claimed it is easy and fun.

I loved the game and in a weird way the trophies made me connect even more with Trico, as if he knew that we're in this together. I don't know, I'm weird :dunno:

J

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stardew Shelly said:

Lol, for me that's just regular throphy hunting.

But that just shows how subjective it really is. I actually liked to get the platinum in this game. More so then say Battlefield 1, where a lot of people claimed it is easy and fun.

I loved the game and in a weird way the trophies made me connect even more with Trico, as if he knew that we're in this together. I don't know, I'm weird :dunno:

J

Well no you see, for me, most Platinums urge me to get the very most out of my games: I.E. Doing all side missions, collectibles, hardest difficulties, stunts, etc. I typically have a blast maxing out a game’s completion, but with this game my experience fell flat. I found myself raging more often than enjoying the game LOL, and I concur - Battlefield 1 is a perfect example of a fun Platinum.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, BlindMango said:

I really liked this game quite a bit but I also think I got lucky and didn't have anything glitch out on me too badly (Some hints did, however I was persistent and eventually got them to come up). I've had people contact me about different trophies, like one example someone said "The Call of Nature" just would not pop up after multiple playthroughs, Trico just would not take a dump xD 

I think that's the most frustrating thing about this game, luck and bugs. If you're persistent though, those trophies will unlock!

Yeah I still love it of course, it's a magnificent game. The problem is I would’ve liked it better had the trophies not been so despicable, but I’m wrapping up the Platinum now. I finally found the hint I was missing and am making progress on my no-death playthrough, so obviously I’ve been persistent. I just wish developers wouldn’t make such dumb trophies like “All Talked Out.”

On 6/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, LunchCannon54 said:

Shadow of The The Colossus? 

Yes, SOTC = Shadow of the Colossus.

• Like 2

The only absurd Trophy in my opinion is the all talked out trophy because it is really annoying to have to watch a one and a half hour video while playing and to wait, sometimes several minutes, until hints trigger. They are just taken too long to get activated. Otherwise I enjoyed hunting the rest of the trophies. You could argue the point of a speedrun trophy in such a game but it gives a different insight of how to play the game and you are forced to learn how to interact with Trico in the best way possible.

This is definitely not a game where you should focus on trophies in the first playthrough, it just kills the immersion of the game. If someone want the platinum it's not possible to do it in one playthrough no matter what you do, so why bother with hints the first time around even as a trophy hunter? Sometimes I really don't understand why people put themselves in a immersion breaking position instead of just enjoying a game.

Edited by Savyna
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Well no you see, for me, most Platinums urge me to get the very most out of my games: I.E. Doing all side missions, collectibles, hardest difficulties, stunts, etc. I typically have a blast maxing out a game’s completion, but with this game my experience fell flat. I found myself raging more often than enjoying the game LOL, and I concur - Battlefield 1 is a perfect example of a fun Platinum.

Well, yes. My first words were ''But that just shows how subjective it really is.''

• Like 1

I just started this game the other day after my friend bought it for my birthday....in 2016 ?

Anyhoo, I'm going in blind for my initial playthrough. I may unlock some trophies or I may not. I won't worry about it for now as I just want to enjoy this game. I'll start trophy hunting during my second playthrough onwards. It does seem like this platinum will be a fairly annoying one to go for. I'm not looking forward to that no death run. :o

One of my favorites. I love the work of Fumito Ueda. I think the creator delibarately made the trophies like that so players would focus more on the story and less in gameplay. The curiosity of knowing what is going to happen with the boy and Trico is what drives the game ahead, so... there u go. (my opinion)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Savyna said:

The only absurd Trophy in my opinion is the all talked out trophy because it is really annoying to have to watch a one and a half hour video while playing and to wait, sometimes several minutes, until hints trigger. They are just taken too long to get activated. Otherwise I enjoyed hunting the rest of the trophies. You could argue the point of a speedrun trophy in such a game but it gives a different insight of how to play the game and you are forced to learn how to interact with Trico in the best way possible.

This is definitely not a game where you should focus on trophies in the first playthrough, it just kills the immersion of the game. If someone want the platinum it's not possible to do it in one playthrough no matter what you do, so why bother with hints the first time around even as a trophy hunter? Sometimes I really don't understand why people put themselves in a immersion breaking position instead of just enjoying a game.

Yeah the hints are really obnoxious, but if someone wanted to get the barrels and Trico holes on their first playthrough it shouldn't be an issue. Although like you said, it's best to focus entirely on the story during your first playthrough.

12 hours ago, Miles_Warren said:

I just started this game the other day after my friend bought it for my birthday....in 2016 1f602.png

Anyhoo, I'm going in blind for my initial playthrough. I may unlock some trophies or I may not. I won't worry about it for now as I just want to enjoy this game. I'll start trophy hunting during my second playthrough onwards. It does seem like this platinum will be a fairly annoying one to go for. I'm not looking forward to that no death run. :o

Good choice. For the no-death run, just be sure to backup your save periodically because if you make one wrong jump it's over. You can restart the checkpoint before dying but sometimes you'll be too late to press pause, so better safe than sorry. Believe me it happened to myself and I had to restart the entire game.

5 hours ago, BG_painter said:

One of my favorites. I love the work of Fumito Ueda. I think the creator delibarately made the trophies like that so players would focus more on the story and less in gameplay. The curiosity of knowing what is going to happen with the boy and Trico is what drives the game ahead, so... there u go. (my opinion)

Same, Fumito Ueda's a genius, but I don't think that justifies making the Platinum so ridiculous. A Platinum is supposed to get you to explore every bit a game has to offer and provide satisfaction, but this Platinum didn't do that in the slightest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I think the trophies are a little annoying in this game, sure, but the only reason why they are so annoying is because the game is just so bad. And before I get hate for that comment let me justify it.

So, a game has a few main tenants needed to be upheld in order for a game to be 'good' generally. Those being, aesthetics, mechanics, performance, sound and a bonus for creativity/quirks.

This game, while looking kind of pretty in some areas; tricos feathers, the trees and occasionally the lighting, does have some horrendous textures, bland environments, a formulaic world with little fluidity and that water...ouch.

I don't really feel like going into mechanics is necessary as nobody on this planet can argue that the mechanics of the last guardian are anything but unforgivably terrible. And, yes, I understand that trico is supposed to be difficult to control as he is a wild animal that you create a bond with over numerous hours, but he is not the issue here. The player avatar is atrocious. He controls as poorly and unwieldy as trico does; worse even, yet he is supposed to be a digital representation of the player in the game. There is not and never will be an excuse for making a player avatar react so poorly to your inputs and the developers should be shamed of that.

Performance. Frame drops are constant on the PS4 pro. Not ok and that's all that needs saying.

The roar of the wind and the sounds that trico makes are incredible. Testament to the sound crew. 

Quirks? Now this is the issue that people can actually argue on, in my opinion, as the other things I have said are mostly factual. This games only notable quirk is the naturalness with which trico reacts and 'learns' to trust you (in spite of the fact that this is all trigger based). It's wonderful and heart warming and it's like watching your favourite pet grow. However, and I know that other games often don't focus on this natural bonding, but so many games actually do this better. This is not a new concept and it's not done well enough to make the entire game BE that. It's just not.

So how can anybody justify saying this is a good game? Enjoyable? Maybe. Entertaining? Maybe. Heartwarming? Possibly. Good? Simply no. The last guardian is a bad game.

• Like 3

On 19.4.2020 at 3:58 PM, pskid247 said:

I think the trophies are a little annoying in this game, sure, but the only reason why they are so annoying is because the game is just so bad. And before I get hate for that comment let me justify it.

So, a game has a few main tenants needed to be upheld in order for a game to be 'good' generally. Those being, aesthetics, mechanics, performance, sound and a bonus for creativity/quirks.

This game, while looking kind of pretty in some areas; tricos feathers, the trees and occasionally the lighting, does have some horrendous textures, bland environments, a formulaic world with little fluidity and that water...ouch.

I don't really feel like going into mechanics is necessary as nobody on this planet can argue that the mechanics of the last guardian are anything but unforgivably terrible. And, yes, I understand that trico is supposed to be difficult to control as he is a wild animal that you create a bond with over numerous hours, but he is not the issue here. The player avatar is atrocious. He controls as poorly and unwieldy as trico does; worse even, yet he is supposed to be a digital representation of the player in the game. There is not and never will be an excuse for making a player avatar react so poorly to your inputs and the developers should be shamed of that.

Performance. Frame drops are constant on the PS4 pro. Not ok and that's all that needs saying.

The roar of the wind and the sounds that trico makes are incredible. Testament to the sound crew. 

Quirks? Now this is the issue that people can actually argue on, in my opinion, as the other things I have said are mostly factual. This games only notable quirk is the naturalness with which trico reacts and 'learns' to trust you (in spite of the fact that this is all trigger based). It's wonderful and heart warming and it's like watching your favourite pet grow. However, and I know that other games often don't focus on this natural bonding, but so many games actually do this better. This is not a new concept and it's not done well enough to make the entire game BE that. It's just not.

So how can anybody justify saying this is a good game? Enjoyable? Maybe. Entertaining? Maybe. Heartwarming? Possibly. Good? Simply no. The last guardian is a bad game.

I am dragging myself through my fourth playthrough atm and as much as I want to disagree with you, I can‘t. You are totally right and it is really a shame. The whole idea behind TLG is so beautiful but in the end nothing works at all. And I definitely agree, the biggest problem is not Trico it‘s the clumsy boy. Even the almost 20 years old SOTC works way better than this. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I didn’t have anywhere near as much trouble with the trophy list as what I’ve read others have had. The my only worry was catching Trico in the act which thankfully happened before the white tower on my second play through. There’s just no advice for that one, it’s totally random and luck based.

The hints were all spoken after only half a minute to a minutes wait, I’ve put another post in the All Talked Out thread for a couple of them. I followed the text guide on playstationtrophies and Power Pyx’s collectible video guide simultaneously. I don’t know if it helps but I tried mimicking exactly where they stand when the hints pop up and it seemed to work for me. 

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/the-last-guardian/310564-all-talked-out-100-complete-hint-walkthrough.html

Completed in three play throughs. Left the speed run for last since I’d know the all the sections better but still had the no deaths trophy to get and was really happy when I finished the run and got both with the platinum because I wasn’t using a back up save at all for this game.

Fantastic game, those Trico holes are too damn cute.

• 7 months later...

Really, after finishing Ico and SotC (and even losing my old Last Guardian save file) i don't want to ruin my entire experience with this game by going for the speedrun or deathless trophies. After i read how unforgiving the later trophy is i just grab anything i can in a relaxed playthrough.

• Like 1

after one play through without looking at the trophies I think I’m done. Partly it is the trophies, some of which seem to actively work against the intended experience of the game, but mainly it is that it was a real struggle for me to get through. I really wanted to love it but I found myself struggling so much with the camera, some game design decisions and frustrating glitches with Trico that all too often took me out of the experience. Maybe my expectations were too high in the first place. 

• Like 3

On 5.1.2021 at 9:14 PM, aric201812 said:

after one play through without looking at the trophies I think I’m done. Partly it is the trophies, some of which seem to actively work against the intended experience of the game, but mainly it is that it was a real struggle for me to get through. I really wanted to love it but I found myself struggling so much with the camera, some game design decisions and frustrating glitches with Trico that all too often took me out of the experience. Maybe my expectations were too high in the first place. 

Compared to Ico and SotC it really is a  huge letdown. Wich is even more sad because if it wasn't for the RIDICULOUS physics and "controlls" (allmost as bad as Dark Castle on the Sega Genesis) it could have been a good game.

• Like 1

From what I can remember, the only trophy that was extremely bothersome to me was Lightning Emissary which required you to beat the game in 5 hours or less. It was not necessarily hard, but sometimes navigating Trico could be a challenge within itself which can cause severe anxiety after a while lol. The game overall is beautifully crafted, I only wish more people would give it a chance. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...