What happens if I buy it Used?

Dreakon139

I'm considering getting the game used since it's like $10-15 cheaper, plus the 10% or so I save for being a member of that Gamestop PowerUp dealy. If I can find a copy that's practically new, why not right?

I was reading some of the little review/comment thingys on the Gamestop website and someone mentioned that they bought the game used, but it was okay since they played the first Mass Effect. I imagine that the game comes with something to catch-up PS3 users since we don't have the first game, but is it exclusive to people who buy a New copy of the game?

What comes with a New copy that a Used copy wouldn't offer? If anything. If I'm missing out on some exclusive stuff, I'd rather just pay the extra money and have it all. :)

A new copy gives you a code for the Cerberus Network DLC pack that comes with 2 DLC characters, several new missions, a new heavy weapon, shotgun and suit, and an interactive comic to fill in some of the plot details for the first and to make some important plot decisions like a love interest. It costs $15 in the store if you don't have the code. You could always be lucky and the code in the used copy might not have been used but there's a low chance of that happening.

• Like 1

A new copy gives you a code for the Cerberus Network DLC pack that comes with 2 DLC characters, several new missions, a new heavy weapon, shotgun and suit, and an interactive comic to fill in some of the plot details for the first and to make some important plot decisions like a love interest. It costs $15 in the store if you don't have the code. You could always be lucky and the code in the used copy might not have been used but there's a low chance of that happening.

Sounds like it's fairly important then, I know nothing of Mass Effect so some backstory and getting to make a few decisions would probably be a good way to go if I want a complete experience. The characters, missions and equipment are just icing on the cake. :P

That new game smell is pretty sexy too.

Yea its a crapshoot on buying used games with codes with them, some have some don't work, can't believe LA Noire's Badge Challenge & Car DLC worked and also Just Cause 2 got me a hoovercraft code that work, also had a Bulletstorm code that worked too, haven't thought about buying ME2 yet, its like $30 new now or might be $39.99

• Like 1

plus your probably gonna have to pay to play online. I mean, that is if there is any online.? haven't and have never played ME. but what seems to be the trend with used games is an extra charge for online play with used games :angry::( .

watup Carbon.

Yea its a crapshoot on buying used games with codes with them, some have some don't work, can't believe LA Noire's Badge Challenge & Car DLC worked and also Just Cause 2 got me a hoovercraft code that work, also had a Bulletstorm code that worked too, haven't thought about buying ME2 yet, its like $30 new now or might be $39.99

I suspect the L.A. Noire DLC codes you mentioned were still valid because they have no value in terms of trophies, so there are probably a lot of people that just didn't bother redeeming the codes; I know I didn't.

It's not an online game, so no worries about that. :)

This is true, but a lot of good and very useful things come with the Cerberus pack, so it's worth the $15 in my opinion.

• 7 months later...

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with the DLC if you buy it digital.

The Cerberus DLC isn't really worth 15$ in my opinion tho and just gives you one bronze trophy so my best bet is just buy it new if you want the DLC that bad. Definitely worth 30$ to 40$ in my opinion tho.

EDIT: Wow i just checked the store it's only 20$ O_O

You gotta be nuts not to buy it new retail then. :S

I'm pretty sure it doesn't come with the DLC if you buy it digital.

The Cerberus DLC isn't really worth 15$ in my opinion tho and just gives you one bronze trophy so my best bet is just buy it new if you want the DLC that bad. Definitely worth 30$ to 40$ in my opinion tho.

EDIT: Wow i just checked the store it's only 20$ O_O

You gotta be nuts not to buy it new retail then. :S

...Pretty sure that MSRP for Mass Effect 2 is 20 also.

If you're worried about not getting your online passes or whatever DLC comes with the disc version of a used game, Gamefly is the way to go. I've never ordered a used game from them that didn't come with a code.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering getting the game used since it's like $10-15 cheaper, plus the 10% or so I save for being a member of that Gamestop PowerUp dealy. If I can find a copy that's practically new, why not right?

sad-cat.jpg

Every time you buy a used game, EA Kills a Kitten.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Mass Effect 2 is fine to pick up used.  I bought mine during a buy one get one free sale at that establishment.  The Cerberus pack is now free for everyone to download so no worries there either.  I was able to watch the beginning comic without having a Mass1 save and before I downloaded Cerberus so I believe for that particular game there is no downside.  The plat is fine as is, but you need to purchase one additional DLC for the full 100%, which is a bargain at $150 for 1 extra hr of gameplay.  :|